Midwest States - IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, SD, ND, NE, WI, OH - Weather Discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Hanukkah and Happy Thanksgiving, WS friends. Woke up to snow in metro-Detroit. Safe travels, everyone and have a wonderful day. :loveyou:

'Big ice threat' for parts of the Midwest as storm churns on

By Daniel Arkin and Elizabeth Chuck, NBC News

A “big ice threat” could cause power outages across parts of the Midwest over the next two days as a storm that dumped as much as 30 inches of snow in some locations churns east.

“It could be significant with lots of power outages,” Kevin Noth, a lead meteorologist with the Weather Channel, told NBC News. “The big ice threat will be as far south as Dallas and central Texas all the way up to Paducah, Kentucky, maybe Memphis will be hit, too. Little Rock, Arkansas, will be in the thick of it.” ...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...urns-on?lite?__source=xfinity|mod&par=xfinity

:snowflake: Special Weather Statement :snowflake:

Cautious Travel Is Advised For Snow-Covered Roadways And Reduced Visibilities Through Mid Afternoon Weather... [/B]

Light Snow Will Persist Through Mid Afternoon With A Brief Period Of Heavy Snow Showers Accompanying An Arctic Cold Front. The Line Of Heavy Snow Showers Will Progress From A Line Just South Of The Intestate 69 Corridor At Noon And Then Push Into Ontario And South Of The Ohio Border Between 3 And 5 Pm.

Snow Accumulations Of Up To 1 Inch Are Expected Between Noon And 5 Pm.

West Winds Around 10 Mph With Gusts To 20 Mph.

Air Temperatures Will Range Between 18 And 23 Degrees... With Temperatures Falling During The Afternoon. Impacts...

Accumulating Snow May Lead To Slippery Conditions On Untreated Roads Particularly On Bridges...Exit Ramps...And Overpasses.

Moderate To Heavy Snow Will Cause Reductions Of Visibility To Less Than One Mile. There May Be Rapid Fluctuations Of Visibility. Precautionary/Preparedness Actions...

The Combination Of Snow And Cold Temperatures Will Result In Localized Slippery Conditions And Variable Traffic Rates Throughout The Area. Motorists Are Urged To Use Caution And Account For The Variable Driving Conditions By Allowing Extra Time.

Prepare...Plan...And Stay Informed. Visit Http://Go.Usa.Gov/Rr8

http://detroit.justweather.com/severe/

Weather Alert for Oakland County, MI

! Winter Weather Advisory !
Issued at: 4:16 am EST on December 13, 2013, expires at: 12:00 AM EST on
December 15, 2013

...Winter Weather Advisory in effect from 9 PM this evening to
midnight EST Saturday night...

The National Weather Service in Detroit/Pontiac has issued a
Winter Weather Advisory for snow and blowing snow...which is in
effect from 9 PM this evening to midnight EST Saturday night.
Hazardous weather...
* snowfall will increase in coverage and intensity tonight
and continue into Saturday evening.
* East winds will increase to around 20 mph late tonight and
continue on Saturday...causing wind chills to fall to around
zero.
* 3 to 5 inches of snow is expected by Saturday evening.
Impacts...
* travel inconveniences will be likely as roads will be snow
covered and slippery.
* Visibilities will be reduced to near zero at times.
* The blowing and drifting snow will impact snow plowing efforts
on north-south roads in open areas.
Precautionary/preparedness actions...
* a Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow and
blowing snow will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for
slippery roads and limited visibilities...and use caution while
driving.
* Prepare...plan...and stay informed.

Visit http://www.clickondetroit.com/tu/6lPCgfJjj.html

Up to 6 inches of snow forecast for southern Mich.

Up to 6 inches of snow forecast by end of Saturday across Michigan's southern Lower Peninsula

Author:
Lisa Ray, Managing Editor, ClickOnDetroit.com, lray@wdiv.com

Published On: Dec 13 2013 07:13:33 AM EST

DETROIT -
Forecasters say 3 to 6 inches of snow is expected by the end of Saturday across much of Michigan's southern Lower Peninsula...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/weath...ich/-/1719236/23466674/-/11bnre1/-/index.html

Weather Alert for Oakland County, MI

! Winter Weather Advisory !

Issued at: 12:32 PM EST on December 13, 2013, expires at: 12:00 AM EST on
December 15, 2013

...Winter Weather Advisory now in effect from midnight tonight to
midnight EST Saturday night...

The Winter Weather Advisory is now in effect from midnight
tonight to midnight EST Saturday night.
Hazardous weather...
* light snow will develop tonight. Moderate snow will fall
tomorrow...ending Saturday evening.
* 4 to 6 inches of snow is expected by Saturday evening.
* East winds will increase to around 20 mph late tonight and
continue on Saturday...causing some minor blowing and drifting
of the snow.
Impacts...
* roads will be snow covered and slippery.
* Visibilities will be reduced to as low as a half mile at times.
* Minor blowing and drifting snow will occur along north-south
roads in open areas.
Precautionary/preparedness actions...
* a Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow and
blowing snow will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for
slippery roads and limited visibilities...and use caution
while driving.
* Prepare...plan...and stay informed. Visit

http://www.clickondetroit.com/tu/6lQ8GanPb.html

2 inches here in the Ann Arbor area and light snow we will get the big stuff later on today I am going to hit the library before that happens I have Breaking Bad season 2 on hold haha I think I will watch that and bake my Christmas cookies hahaha

:snowflake: It didn't start snowing here (Oakland County, MI) until about 3:00AM. We have about 2" on the ground as it continues to snow. It's windy, so there's some blowing and drifting.

"Santa" DH is making a visit to a house party this evening. He will tell the children that the snow is wonderful for his sleigh and the reindeer. :)

...Hazardous weather

Moderate snow - occasionally heavy at times - will fall Saturday afternoon and taper off in the evening.

Total snowfall of 5 to 8 inches is expected.

Untreated roads will be snow covered and slippery.

Visibilities will be reduced to between a quarter and half a mile at times.

Blowing and drifting snow will occur along north-south roads in open areas...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/weath...gan/-/1719236/23486896/-/wjuuhjz/-/index.html

Issued by The National Weather Service
Detroit, MI

Sat, Dec 14, 2013, 11:40 AM EST

... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT...

HAZARDOUS WEATHER...

* MODERATE SNOW WILL FALL TODAY... TAPERING OFF THIS EVENING.

* TOTAL SNOWFALL OF 4 TO 7 INCHES IS EXPECTED.

* EAST WINDS GUSTING AROUND 20 MPH WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE DAY... CAUSING SOME MINOR BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF THE SNOW.

IMPACTS...

* UNTREATED ROADS WILL BE SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY.

* VISIBILITIES WILL BE REDUCED TO AS LOW AS A HALF MILE AT TIMES.

* MINOR BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WILL OCCUR ALONG NORTH-SOUTH ROADS IN OPEN AREAS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

* A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES... AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

* PREPARE... PLAN... AND STAY INFORMED...

http://www.weather.com/weather/aler...ificance=Y&areaid=MIZ069&office=KDTX&etn=0011

December 14, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Another 4 inches of snow expected throughout the day in Metro Detroit

Lauren Abdel-Razzaq /The Detroit News

A weekend storm expected to bring a half-foot or more of snow to parts of southeast Michigan has also been snarling roadways.

The metro post of the Michigan State Police has handled twenty crashes in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties since midnight, according to Lt. Michael Shaw. Troopers have also responded to numerous calls for service for spin outs and stalled vehicles...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131214/METRO08/312140027#ixzz2nTTcMvCK

:snowflake: It didn't start snowing here (Oakland County, MI) until about 3:00AM. We have about 2" on the ground as it continues to snow. It's windy, so there's some blowing and drifting.

"Santa" DH is making a visit to a house party this evening. He will tell the children that the snow is wonderful for his sleigh and the reindeer. :)

OMG...BetteDavisEyes...YOU...ARE...MS....Claus! :loveyou:

Please tell your hubby I've been very, very good this year!

This weather sucks, Bah humbug, IMO :tantrum: :banghead:

We have maybe 6 inches here (I live about 2 miles West of the Lake Michigan shoreline) and it's heavier snow than we've had this winter.

I went out to shovel the driveway...first 10 minutes "Oh it's so pretty and quiet out here. I don't mind this at all". Last 10 minutes "Holy jeepers, I am totally retiring to Florida like everybody else around here does"

OMG...BetteDavisEyes...YOU...ARE...MS....Claus! :loveyou:

Please tell your hubby I've been very, very good this year!

DH is out doing his :santa: thing now. We'll have dinner when he gets home. I've already opened a nice bottle of Merlot for all of my very, very good friends here at Websleuths. :toastred:

Light freezing rain turning to snow later as temperature drops.

Unless the forecast changes, figure my window to get to work and come home is around noon to 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Not worth it...just glad I'm not one of the people who have to go to work, like first responders etc.

I'm calling into work today...not going to risk it. Last friday roads suddenly glazed over with multiple wrecks everywhere.

Oakland County

Winter Storm Watch

Winter Storm Watch In Effect From Saturday Afternoon Through Sunday Morning The National Weather Service In Detroit/Pontiac Has Issued A Winter Storm Watch...Which Is In Effect From Saturday Afternoon Through Sunday Morning. Hazardous Weather...

Freezing Rain Is Expected To Fall From Saturday Afternoon Into Sunday Morning.

The Freezing Rain Could Be Mixed With Snow Or Sleet At The Beginning And End Of The Event.

Ice Accumulations Have The Potential To Be Between A Quarter And Half Inch.

Northeast Winds Of 10 To 15 Mph Will Add Stress To The Ice Coated Trees And Power Lines. Stronger Southwest To West Winds Behind The Storm On Sunday Could Produce Further Damage. Impacts...

Ice Accumulations On Trees...Tree Limbs And Power Lines Could Potentially Create Widespread Power Outages And Downed Trees.

This Ice Storm Has The Potential To Produce Power Outages That Could Last For Several Days.

Expect Roads To Become Icy Saturday Afternoon And Especially Saturday Night. Precautionary/Preparedness Actions...

A Winter Storm Watch Means There Is A Potential For Significant Snow...Sleet...Or Ice Accumulations That May Impact Travel. Continue To Monitor The Latest Forecasts.

I can't take these storms anymore. Another snow storm mixed with freezing rain. :pullhair:

Oakland County

Ice Storm Warning

Ice Storm Warning Remains In Effect From 2 P.M. This Afternoon To 7 A.M. EST Sunday Hazardous Weather...

Freezing Rain Is Expected To Develop This Afternoon... Continuing Into Tonight.

Ice Accumulations Of A Quarter Of An Inch To Half An Inch Are Expected.

Northeast Winds Of 10 To 15 Mph Will Add Stress To The Ice Coated Trees And Power Lines. Impacts...

Ice Accumulations On Trees And Power Lines Will Likely Lead To Power Outages As Tree Damage Occurs.

This Ice Storm Has The Potential To Produce Power Outages That Could Last For Several Days.

Expect Roads To Become Icy This Afternoon And Especially This Evening. Precautionary/Preparedness Actions...

An Ice Storm Warning Means Severe Winter Weather Conditions Are Expected Or Occurring. Significant Amounts Of Ice Accumulations Will Make Travel Dangerous Or Impossible. Travel Is Strongly Discouraged. Commerce Will Likely Be Severely Impacted. If You Must Travel...Keep An Extra Flashlight...Food...And Water In Your Vehicle In Case Of An Emergency. Ice Accumulations And Winds Will Likely Lead To Snapped Power Lines And Falling Tree Branches That Add To The Danger.

Freezing rain where I'm at Western Missouri...then comes the snow storm.

Just got back from store and xmas shopping. Storm was supposed to come later today! Already it's starting.

Looks like tomorrow we will be digging ourselves out of the snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member