Missing cell phones

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How did the intruder know there wasn't an landline in the home? Just a thought. JMHO

IMHO...frame of reference. It may never have occurred to the perp to check for a land line.
The phones were there, and it was an opportunity to grab them.
I think the perp is a younger person. Anyone under 30 would think of cell phones first as being the only phones because that's how they live. Most of them would never think about a land line. I know of very few people who still have land lines, especially in that age group.

I also believe the person who took the baby is familiar with the family in some way.

Why would someone steal the cell phones ? If the "intruder" took them, then one might think, they stole them in hopes of selling them ? That would have to be someone ignorant enough to think that the phones couldn't be traced ? I noticed the parents have their own reason or theory on that, an that was so "they" couldn't call LE. Now if the parents are actually responsible for Lisa's disappearance, and staged the phones being stolen, now that makes more sense to me than the "intruder" theory. An intruder wouldn't know how many phones the couple had, where they would be located, and lastly if there wasn't a land line. JI had a phone on his person, but thinks to ask Debra where the other phones were ? instead of using the phone on his person ? none of it makes sense to me :banghead:

I think Jeremy was in a panic, and just didn't think about his work phone at first. Maybe Deborah was going to call but they couldn't find the phones and then realized the perp took them. If my baby was missing and then I saw that my phones were gone too, I'd be in total mental disarray, and might not think about a phone in my pocket either.

Taking the cell phones of a victim is very,very common now. Most perps do it first thing so that the victim cannot call for help or take a photo or video.

Why would someone steal the cell phones ? If the "intruder" took them, then one might think, they stole them in hopes of selling them ? That would have to be someone ignorant enough to think that the phones couldn't be traced ? I noticed the parents have their own reason or theory on that, an that was so "they" couldn't call LE. Now if the parents are actually responsible for Lisa's disappearance, and staged the phones being stolen, now that makes more sense to me than the "intruder" theory. An intruder wouldn't know how many phones the couple had, where they would be located, and lastly if there wasn't a land line. JI had a phone on his person, but thinks to ask Debra where the other phones were ? instead of using the phone on his person ? none of it makes sense to me :banghead:
I need some help on this one. If cell phones are so easy to trace then none should ever get stolen right? That means there is no market for stolen cell phones. If cell phones are so easy to trace, why haven't these phones been found?

Years ago I had a table about two feet away from the front door of my apartment. I usually put my wallet, keys etc. there after I walked in. One day I came home, put my wallet and keys down and went to the office. I was gone five minutes at the most. When I returned my wallet was gone, but my keys were still there. Never made sense to me why they didn't take the keys or what someone was doing opening the door on a whim to see if there was anything for them to easily steal.

Years later my mom's house was broken into. I was shocked at how much they took, whole drawers of valuables they didn't even bother to dump into a bag all carried out of her home in broad daylight. Out of her office they took a label maker but left behind a digital camera. From the living room they took a couple of kachina dolls my mom made years ago.

As far as the reprogramming goes I had a Pearl Blackberry that died on me. When I got the new one I, like someone else, thought that I just had to put in the sim card and the info would be transferred to the new phone. That didn't happen because I didn't know that you have to actually save info to the sim card for that to work. The next Blackberry Pearl I had died on me, when I switched the sim card to the new phone I had to go and correct much of the information because it was incomplete.

I think Jeremy was in a panic, and just didn't think about his work phone at first. Maybe Deborah was going to call but they couldn't find the phones and then realized the perp took them. If my baby was missing and then I saw that my phones were gone too, I'd be in total mental disarray, and might not think about a phone in my pocket either.

Taking the cell phones of a victim is very,very common now. Most perps do it first thing so that the victim cannot call for help or take a photo or video.

You know why I dont buy this whole thing about the cell phones missing and the time frame that it took a half hour to call the police?? Because my behind would have been outside and screaming for a neighbor to call the police within seconds of noticing my infant was gone.. There wouldnt have been a delay. There really are no excuses for a half hour delay.

I need some help on this one. If cell phones are so easy to trace then none should ever get stolen right? That means there is no market for stolen cell phones. If cell phones are so easy to trace, why haven't these phones been found?

Once a cell phone is turned off or the battery is removed, it will not send or receive pings. Basically, all the person had to do was remove the battery and the phone would be useless until a battery was put back in.

I'd loved to know if there a photo found on the home computer, that might have been identified as been transferred from one of those phones, possibly after the time DB said she went to bed.

1. The phones could have been physically destroyed.
2. The batteries could have been removed.
3. The batteries could be dead.
4. The phones may be under water.
5. The phones may be out of range of a cell tower (in a very rural area).
6. The phones may be wrapped in aluminum foil.
7. ????? There are probably many other reasons.

Weeks ago, I saw on the news, a man was robbed and beaten badly. The perp had taken his cell phone along with wallet an other items, the cops traced his cell phone to the perp, found the perp with the phone, along with pics of himself smoking pot, wearing the victims gold chain around his neck on the stolen cell phone. Now I don't think LE does this kind of investigation for everyone who has a cell phone stolen, but it proves to me it can be done .

Once a cell phone is turned off or the battery is removed, it will not send or receive pings. Basically, all the person had to do was remove the battery and the phone would be useless until a battery was put back in.

I'd loved to know if there a photo found on the home computer, that might have been identified as been transferred from one of those phones, possibly after the time DB said she went to bed.

Thanks for your reply. The question remains, is there a market for stolen cell phones? If there is then perhaps Debbie and Jeremy are telling the truth about the missing phones. MOO.

You know (not to any poster in particular) and I know, just from following cases here and there, that cell phones are traceable, but does the average young person know that? I am not so sure they would. But it seems like if someone were to go through the effort of commiting a crime of breaking into someones house, or entering illegally, that cell phones would be the last things on their agenda to take. They are a dime a dozen in this day and age. So if an abduction was the focus, I just can't see anyone taking cell phones. They are worthless, even if they took them to keep someone from calling 911. Neighbors were right outside the door. Makes no sense.

IMHO...frame of reference. It may never have occurred to the perp to check for a land line.
The phones were there, and it was an opportunity to grab them.
I think the perp is a younger person. Anyone under 30 would think of cell phones first as being the only phones because that's how they live. Most of them would never think about a land line. I know of very few people who still have land lines, especially in that age group.

I also believe the person who took the baby is familiar with the family in some way.

My experience is different in regard to landlines. I live in a community where the demographics are 18-40 yrs old (majority).

Almost everyone I know has a landline or at least knows that it is possible to have a landline in a home.

Rather than compare personal expriences--because there are so many members here to give their opinions I went and looked up a few statistics.

http://www.switched.com/2010/08/19/one-third-of-u-s-families-live-without-landline-phones-report/

According to a new Citi Investment Report from analyst Jason Bazinet, nearly 30-percent of all U.S. households have now disconnected their landlines...

and specifically a 30 and under crowd:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/strike_too_far_4gHDt2NfjCBaVDdi01Po5O

...The same study indicated that 44 percent of adults under 30 now live without a landline.

I'm not arguing your opinion that the intruder was under 30. He/she may very well have been. But I do find it difficult to believe that the cell phones were taken only for the fact to delay a call into 911 as suggested by Deborah in a video interview.

Then I can only surmise if that is accurate then the intruder might have had prior knowledge that there was no landline in the home. Why would it be assumed that the cell phones were the only phone lines? Why would it be assumed that the 3 phones on the counter were the only cell phones within the home?

They are gone for another reason. JMHO. It might not even be connected to Lisa? JMHO.

Weeks ago, I saw on the news, a man was robbed and beaten badly. The perp had taken his cell phone along with wallet an other items, the cops traced his cell phone to the perp, found the perp with the phone, along with pics of himself smoking pot, wearing the victims gold chain around his neck on the stolen cell phone. Now I don't think LE does this kind of investigation for everyone who has a cell phone stolen, but it proves to me it can be done .

Of course cell phones have been traced to the thief and recovered. Your post implied that it would be stupid for someone to steal Deb and Jeremys phones because they would be traced. All I'm trying to say is that it's possible that they were stolen. MOO.

I think the type of cell phones make a big difference in determining why they may have been taken, assuming that they were taken by an abductor.

If they are smart phones I can see someone taking them for their street value, just because they were there and they could take them. By removing the sim card, the phone would no longer ping because the phone is no longer registered to the phone number. Stolen smart phones are sold without sim cards all the time.

If the phones were just ordinary "throw away" type cell phones, flip phones without any enticing features, then they were taken for another reason IMO. There is no resale value for these type of stolen phones.

I would think that LE would release the type of phones just in case someone has purchased a "hot" phone recently that might be one of the missing ones. I'm surprised that neither of the parent's mentioned the type when they released that info, or that no reporter asked them what type of phones were missing.

But with the way LE have been searching around that house for something, I'm going to guess that they know the phones were pitched or hidden somewhere around there because perhaps they did ping for a day or two after the abduction.

MOO

MOO

It is possible that all 3 cell phones were stolen, but IMO not probable. Especially if it was a young person. The younger generation all have cell phones, and I worked in a pawn shop for 15 yrs, and believe me, you cannot resell a cell phone., Any new buyer plays he"" to have them reactivated cause they have been reported stolen, etc. So if they were stolen it was not for the money. And if you consider they were stolen so 911 could not be called, that is nuts, cause neighbors were closeby.

I think the type of cell phones make a big difference in determining why they may have been taken, assuming that they were taken by an abductor.

If they are smart phones I can see someone taking them for their street value, just because they were there and they could take them. By removing the sim card, the phone would no longer ping because the phone is no longer registered to the phone number. Stolen smart phones are sold without sim cards all the time.

If the phones were just ordinary "throw away" type cell phones, flip phones without any enticing features, then they were taken for another reason IMO. There is no resale value for these type of stolen phones.

I would think that LE would release the type of phones just in case someone has purchased a "hot" phone recently that might be one of the missing ones. I'm surprised that neither of the parent's mentioned the type when they released that info, or that no reporter asked them what type of phones were missing.

But with the way LE have been searching around that house for something, I'm going to guess that they know the phones were pitched or hidden somewhere around there because perhaps they did ping for a day or two after the abduction.

MOO

MOO

I don't think the phones would have been taken by a kidnapper though. The kidnapper was quite sneaky, and IMO someone very close to the family. They had too many intimate details of the house and the family's habits. It doesn't seem like the "intruder" was worried about taking valuable items for their street value to me.

I think you're correct about the police thinking the phones are near the home. The amount of searching using metal detectors seems to indicate this.

You know (not to any poster in particular) and I know, just from following cases here and there, that cell phones are traceable, but does the average young person know that? I am not so sure they would. But it seems like if someone were to go through the effort of commiting a crime of breaking into someones house, or entering illegally, that cell phones would be the last things on their agenda to take. They are a dime a dozen in this day and age. So if an abduction was the focus, I just can't see anyone taking cell phones. They are worthless, even if they took them to keep someone from calling 911. Neighbors were right outside the door. Makes no sense.

This is so true. But what if it were a person dealing with mental illness or deficiency? What motivates them? If Lisa was kidnapped, I don't think we are looking for the average young person. MOO

Thanks for your post. I found it thought provoking.

This is so true. But what if it were a person dealing with mental illness or deficiency? What motivates them? If Lisa was kidnapped, I don't think we are looking for the average young person. MOO

Thanks for your post. I found it thought provoking.

Yes, that is very true. Most of us here try to think of motivation and what might precipitate certain events, and we do that with logical and methodical thinking. But sometimes none of that is involved at all.

It is possible that all 3 cell phones were stolen, but IMO not probable. Especially if it was a young person. The younger generation all have cell phones, and I worked in a pawn shop for 15 yrs, and believe me, you cannot resell a cell phone., Any new buyer plays he"" to have them reactivated cause they have been reported stolen, etc. So if they were stolen it was not for the money. And if you consider they were stolen so 911 could not be called, that is nuts, cause neighbors were closeby.
Ok, now we have another "no reason for the phones to be stolen" because there is no resale market for stolen cell phones. So your saying if I buy a used phone from someone I have to prove it's not stolen before it can be activated?

Yes, that is very true. Most of us here try to think of motivation and what might precipitate certain events, and we do that with logical and methodical thinking. But sometimes none of that is involved at all.

Sadly, there are too many mentally ill people that don't get the help they so desperately need. Gabby Gifford's shooter comes to mind. No motive except the voices in his head.

Is that What the MD's were for? to search for the phones, if they were buried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
froggy4