Missouri - The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still waiting for an answer to the question of whether the abduction was random or whether one of the women was targeted. I wish LE would give up a little more information on the suspect who failed the polygraph.
You and me both, Ozoner!!
Great point you raise here!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Missouri Mule, You and I are on the same page in thinking it was possibly a "police officer" or someone posing as a police officer. I never let anyone into my home late at night, but several years ago around midnight my doorbell rang. My teenage son (right around Suzie and Stacy's age) was out. A police officer was at my door, informing me that my son and his friends were picked up for underage drinking. I let the police officer in. It was legit. BUT, what if "someone" knew Suzie was graduating that night, partying, drinking, perfect excuse to get Sherrill to the door late at night. Doorbell rings, police officer at the door, "Excuse me Ma'am, is your daughter Suzie Streeter? We have her, we picked her up for DUI, she's been in an accident" ...fill in the blanks.

They could have held Sherrill hostage in her home ( or removed her, which I doubt). I think whoever did this "knew or assumed" Suzie would not be home, due to the graduation parties. The girls came home unexpectedly, whomever had Sherrill in the bedroom then had to remove all the women. There were more than one person, I'm convinced . So sad.

Missouri Mule, You and I are on the same page in thinking it was possibly a "police officer" or someone posing as a police officer. I never let anyone into my home late at night, but several years ago around midnight my doorbell rang. My teenage son (right around Suzie and Stacy's age) was out. A police officer was at my door, informing me that my son and his friends were picked up for underage drinking. I let the police officer in. It was legit. BUT, what if "someone" knew Suzie was graduating that night, partying, drinking, perfect excuse to get Sherrill to the door late at night. Doorbell rings, police officer at the door, "Excuse me Ma'am, is your daughter Suzie Streeter? We have her, we picked her up for DUI, she's been in an accident" ...fill in the blanks.

But the "Police Officer" involvement has not been substantiated in any way. It was just speculation on someone's part.

Realistically speaking, that is probably not what happened.

Remember, just because this crime hasn't been solved, doesn't mean there was LE involvement.

It also doesn't mean anyone impersonated a LE officer. That is the product of pure speculation.

Personally, until I see any REAL EVIDENCE eluding to LE involvement.......I don't buy it.

They could have held Sherrill hostage in her home ( or removed her, which I doubt). I think whoever did this "knew or assumed" Suzie would not be home, due to the graduation parties. The girls came home unexpectedly, whomever had Sherrill in the bedroom then had to remove all the women. There were more than one person, I'm convinced . So sad.

Why are you so convinced it was more than one person?

But the "Police Officer" involvement has not been substantiated in any way. It was just speculation on someone's part.

Realistically speaking, that is probably not what happened.

Remember, just because this crime hasn't been solved, doesn't mean there was LE involvement.

It also doesn't mean anyone impersonated a LE officer. That is the product of pure speculation.

Personally, until I see any REAL EVIDENCE eluding to LE involvement.......I don't buy it.

I wish to be perfectly clear lest there be any misunderstanding.

I do believe, as I said, there were two realistic entry points the front and the side door.

It has been repeated many times that whoever gained entry was "known and trusted" by whoever let him/them in. I believe that to be true.

There is no evidence that I am aware of anywhere that would document that the whereabouts of Sherrill was known after approximately 11:30 P.M. or even sooner. She was never heard from again.

The girls, however, were known up until about 2:20 AM when they left the Kirby house as reported by Janelle's mother who said she glanced at her alarm clock as they left Battlefield. From there to the Delmar home it was exactly 11.6 miles. One can extrapolate that they would have arrived at the Delmar home at sometime at or about 2:45 AM.

The girls were not expected to be returning home. It is perfectly logical to believe they would not have wished to have awoken Sherrill at that late hour and probably made efforts to enter without waking her. We do not know if she was woken when they came in but it is more likely than not she was.

However, there is the matter of the Yorkie doggy. As anyone knows who has owned one of these dogs they are barkers and really territorial. The doggy would likely have raised a ruckus and if Sherrill was at home, she would undoubtedly have been awoken. But we don't know that. We don't even know if she was at the home. She could have been taken or left with some "trusted individual" for over three hours previous to their arrival. The doggy could also have been locked in a bathroom so as to not waken the neighborhood. The reports have varied from 1:30 AM to about 3 AM. I have no definitive information regarding what time the dog was heard barking.

It is logical that had Sherrill left with someone she would not want the dog barking and may have put it inside the bathroom to hold down the noise. If she had left and if the girls had arrived at sometime at or about 3 AM (after unloading their cars) they would have arrived at the home with the dog clawing and barking at the bathroom door.

If the report that the dog was heard barking at or about 3 AM, it would fit the timeline that Suzie determined that Sherrill was not in the house and put the dog outside to do its business. That is probably when it was heard barking. If earlier, I don't know what that tells us, really.

Now as to the matter of the "trusted" individual, we have only about two options. Either it was someone who Sherrill trusted and allowed in the house or it could have been a police officer or one masquerading as a police officer. I do not believe any other official in any capacity could have gained entry, based on my own experience as a home owner.

While I would not argue that a police officer may have gained entry, I don't exclude it either. We are left with the issue of the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. It could have happened.

I am more inclined to believe it was someone that Sherrill knew well, even if they weren't that close but who she trusted. There are several who fit that description. I can't see the "GJ3" as fitting that description. The only way they could have gotten into the house would have been through an open window and to my knowledge that has never been alleged.

I suspect that Sherrill and the "trusted" person left sometime in the intervening period before the girls arrived. Suzie, having determined that her mother was not at home would naturally have been concerned. Where is her mother? However, she and Stacy prepare for bed. Sometime soon after, she is wakened and either her or someone she herself knew and trusted got the side door opened. The blinds were cracked. That's seems important somehow.

At the time the second entry (as per this scenario) happened, is when the "fireworks" went off and either or both Suzie and Stacy had to be coerced or even forced at gunpoint as has been alleged to leave the home. It was also alleged to me by someone I won't divulge that Stacy was actually dragged from the home and probably at the time the globe was knocked loose and she cut her foot on the glass leaving the DNA behind.

That's what I think happened. Please critique.

Hi Monkeymann,
Obviously I have no proof, but I feel that 2 or more people were involved because I personally don't believe this was a sex crime. If I truly believed it to be a sex crime then yes, I feel one person could be responsible. As I stated a few posts back, why would a rapist come into the home when he's in his "sexual frenzy stage" and remove the women to another location to rape them? Why not just tie them up, rape them, and kill them there? I refer to the Gainesville Ripper, The Night Stalker, The East Area Rapist, The Boston Strangler, Marc Patrick O'Leary, the list goes on sadly.

Hi Monkeymann,
Obviously I have no proof, but I feel that 2 or more people were involved because I personally don't believe this was a sex crime. If I truly believed it to be a sex crime then yes, I feel one person could be responsible. As I stated a few posts back, why would a rapist come into the home when he's in his "sexual frenzy stage" and remove the women to another location to rape them? Why not just tie them up, rape them, and kill them there? I refer to the Gainesville Ripper, The Night Stalker, The East Area Rapist, The Boston Strangler, Marc Patrick O'Leary, the list goes on sadly.

Actually in the context of the primary motivation for this crime to not be sexually oriented, I agree.

However, It make more sense from a logistical standpoint for the crime to have been committed by two or more people, because there were three women.

However, I've always wondered if it was only one person, and that's why LE hasn't been able to solve the case. One can keep a secret, and if LE has nothing evidence wise, the perp walks.

Remember, LE stated early on in the investigation that one person had not passed their polygraph test.

And there are a couple single male suspects LE has looked at according to the totality of the media stories.

I wish to be perfectly clear lest there be any misunderstanding.

I do believe, as I said, there were two realistic entry points the front and the side door.

It has been repeated many times that whoever gained entry was "known and trusted" by whoever let him/them in. I believe that to be true.

There is no evidence that I am aware of anywhere that would document that the whereabouts of Sherrill was known after approximately 11:30 P.M. or even sooner. She was never heard from again.

The girls, however, were known up until about 2:20 AM when they left the Kirby house as reported by Janelle's mother who said she glanced at her alarm clock as they left Battlefield. From there to the Delmar home it was exactly 11.6 miles. One can extrapolate that they would have arrived at the Delmar home at sometime at or about 2:45 AM.

The girls were not expected to be returning home. It is perfectly logical to believe they would not have wished to have awoken Sherrill at that late hour and probably made efforts to enter without waking her. We do not know if she was woken when they came in but it is more likely than not she was.

However, there is the matter of the Yorkie doggy. As anyone knows who has owned one of these dogs they are barkers and really territorial. The doggy would likely have raised a ruckus and if Sherrill was at home, she would undoubtedly have been awoken. But we don't know that. We don't even know if she was at the home. She could have been taken or left with some "trusted individual" for over three hours previous to their arrival. The doggy could also have been locked in a bathroom so as to not waken the neighborhood. The reports have varied from 1:30 AM to about 3 AM. I have no definitive information regarding what time the dog was heard barking.

It is logical that had Sherrill left with someone she would not want the dog barking and may have put it inside the bathroom to hold down the noise. If she had left and if the girls had arrived at sometime at or about 3 AM (after unloading their cars) they would have arrived at the home with the dog clawing and barking at the bathroom door.

If the report that the dog was heard barking at or about 3 AM, it would fit the timeline that Suzie determined that Sherrill was not in the house and put the dog outside to do its business. That is probably when it was heard barking. If earlier, I don't know what that tells us, really.

Now as to the matter of the "trusted" individual, we have only about two options. Either it was someone who Sherrill trusted and allowed in the house or it could have been a police officer or one masquerading as a police officer. I do not believe any other official in any capacity could have gained entry, based on my own experience as a home owner.

While I would not argue that a police officer may have gained entry, I don't exclude it either. We are left with the issue of the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. It could have happened.

I am more inclined to believe it was someone that Sherrill knew well, even if they weren't that close but who she trusted. There are several who fit that description. I can't see the "GJ3" as fitting that description. The only way they could have gotten into the house would have been through an open window and to my knowledge that has never been alleged.

I suspect that Sherrill and the "trusted" person left sometime in the intervening period before the girls arrived. Suzie, having determined that her mother was not at home would naturally have been concerned. Where is her mother? However, she and Stacy prepare for bed. Sometime soon after, she is wakened and either her or someone she herself knew and trusted got the side door opened. The blinds were cracked. That's seems important somehow.

At the time the second entry (as per this scenario) happened, is when the "fireworks" went off and either or both Suzie and Stacy had to be coerced or even forced at gunpoint as has been alleged to leave the home. It was also alleged to me by someone I won't divulge that Stacy was actually dragged from the home and probably at the time the globe was knocked loose and she cut her foot on the glass leaving the DNA behind.

That's what I think happened. Please critique.

" Stacy was actually dragged from the home and probably at the time the globe was knocked loose and she cut her foot on the glass leaving the DNA behind"
------------------------------------
This case is very heartbreaking and when you go into the details like the one
that indicates that Stacy dragged while she tried her best to give a fight for her life and Suzie's lives , fighting bravely when there is no real chance to survive , and all this horror after amazing day of graduation , parties with friends and Expectation for the future ...... Details like that give highlight to the feelings of the victims during the crime and makes you feel even more sad .

I Strongly believe that more than one person involved in the kidnapping and I also believe the Women were threatened with firearms.

There are a number of possible sequences of events that occurred from the time the the girls arrived until the abduction:

1) Sherrill was already gone, presumably taken against her will and he/they returned for Suzie, with Stacy just being wrong time, wrong place.

The main reason I have to doubt this is that the abductor would have every reason to believe that Suzie would not be coming home that night and the idea of returning to the scene of the crime and committing a second abduction seems counterintuitive. There would be no telling what Suzie would do if she found her mother missing. She would be concerned, might call somebody; maybe 911. The element of surprise would be lost. I'm pretty sure only one of the women was the primary target and the risks of an abduction would not be wasted on anyone else.

2) the abductor was in the home with Sherrill when the girls arrived.

The lights would be on when Suzie first saw the house. If the lights went off as the girls pulled in, that would be a big tip off that something was not "normal". The girls might still go into the home, but Suzie would make contact with Sherrill immediately and things would go down before Stacy had a chance to undress for bed.

If Sherrill was up with a "visitor" and Suzie had any reason to distrust this person (or those people), things would move quickly and Stacy would not be undressed. If he/they were trusted, it is possible that Stacy would go to bed while Suzie stayed up, things only going bad later. This is consistent with Suzie being dressed and wearing her shoes. On thing working against this possibility is that the "visitor" evidentiary did not park in the driveway, as it would have blocked the girl's cars. You would expect people to pull into the driveway of folks they are visiting; particularly if the plan is to abduct them at gun point.

3) The abductor(s) arrived after the girls had settled in and were admitted by either Suzie or Sherrill as "trusted guests". Only later did this turn into an abduction.

This would explain why Suzie and Sherrill were dressed while Stacy wasn't. (She would stay in bed since she didn't know this person/ people). This is consistent with the "crack" in Suzie's Venitian blind although I wonder why Suzie put on her shoes.

Overall, I consider #3 the most likely and #3 most unlikely.

Certainly with a weapon a single person could force the women out of the house, so it is certainly a possibility it was a lone perp. But since I feel sex was not the motive, and I personally feel there is a drug angle to this, it would be easy to believe 2 people who Sherrill or Suzie trusted committed this act. Unless the perp/perps knew with absolute certainty that Suzie wasn't supposed to be home that night, they could assume 2 women would be there (not knowing of course, about Stacy). One thing I do find troubling with the more than one perp, it is true that when there is more than one person involved the chance that someone will "blab" about it is increased. But then again, look at Jimmy Hoffa, he was driven off in a car with at least 2-3 men, never to be seen again.

Certainly with a weapon a single person could force the women out of the house, so it is certainly a possibility it was a lone perp. But since I feel sex was not the motive, and I personally feel there is a drug angle to this, it would be easy to believe 2 people who Sherrill or Suzie trusted committed this act. Unless the perp/perps knew with absolute certainty that Suzie wasn't supposed to be home that night, they could assume 2 women would be there (not knowing of course, about Stacy). One thing I do find troubling with the more than one perp, it is true that when there is more than one person involved the chance that someone will "blab" about it is increased. But then again, look at Jimmy Hoffa, he was driven off in a car with at least 2-3 men, never to be seen again.

I also believe the motive was not sex , I always thought there were at least 2 perps and after Missouri Mule post about Stacy been dragged I am even more sure there were more than one perp. I think that the one who gave the order
to commit the crime would not take a risk of failure so he probably sent more than one criminal to commit this heinous crime.

" Stacy was actually dragged from the home and probably at the time the globe was knocked loose and she cut her foot on the glass leaving the DNA behind"
------------------------------------
This case is very heartbreaking and when you go into the details like the one
that indicates that Stacy dragged while she tried her best to give a fight for her life and Suzie's lives , fighting bravely when there is no real chance to survive , and all this horror after amazing day of graduation , parties with friends and Expectation for the future ...... Details like that give highlight to the feelings of the victims during the crime and makes you feel even more sad .

I Strongly believe that more than one person involved in the kidnapping and I also believe the Women were threatened with firearms.

It is an allegation that she was dragged. However, that should not have been hard to see if her foot was cut and the blood trail was smeared on the porch.

Another version, also alleged, is that when she heard the commotion she attempted to flee from the back sliding door to Suzie's room but was blocked by the fence in the back yard and ran around to the front of the house so as to get in and evidently lock it and then call for help. However, she was caught and evidently kicking and screaming (possibly) her footprint was found on the front of the house around the door.

There are a number of scenarios that could explain what exactly happened. What I don't get is why no one noticed the blood smudges much earlier in the day, if that is what happened. One can assume that we haven't been told everything.

The part that intrigues me most of all is the one individual who flunked the polygraph. I believe all of the possible suspects were polygraphed by June 23 (if my memory is correct). But some male (identified as "he") failed.

I could guess but in some posts from three years ago it was alleged he (the one I am thinking) wasn't even in the area during that time. If that is true, then we have some mystery man lurking out there somewhere. I thought that was settled but evidently not so.

Two sources I trust have said independently of one another than 1) an individual (probably this one) was "nervous and looking over his shoulder." And I believe was moving back and forth between Missouri to Arkansas and back. The other source was 100% certain he knew the perp and that he had been tracked to his actual place of employment and seen there by himself and a friend he took along. His information was almost certainly was accurate as to the identity because of how he had been given that information.

I need to check on something and I may have further comments to make on this subject. I have for a long time believed this would have required a minimum of two individuals. However, if one parses what the police statements actually say that is not necessarily so.

This gets somewhat confusing but it is not inconceivable that the kidnapper actually believed he was involved in a relatively benign situation but that when it progressed he realized he had teamed up with some bad actors. The "GJ3" come to mind. I won't name them, but they are known. At least one is for certain in the slammer and I read the other day one other is in until 2018. The other one was last known to be on the street. His general location is known. My recollection is that the only one who had a rape conviction was the one doing life over near Potosi. I can't recall the rap sheet on the other two but they were into criminal activities over an extended period of time. I believe they became known to one another over at the Eldorado, Kansas facility. But they may not be involved although they were, I believe, the subjects of the grand jury in 1994 that was no-billed.

Then there is always Cox, the man who provided a phony alibi that was later knocked down when his girlfriend recanted her statement. And he was working the area as a utility locator at the time.

And of course the crime family out in the Rogersville area were certainly top prospects. One, in fact, has been identified by a witness as driving a similar van. Nothing should be put past them. Murders, burning of bodies, feeding to the hogs, etc., a bunch of real bad dudes.

Has it been established if Suzie left in her clothes or if she had undressed for bed? Stacy had, as her clothes were found neatly folded. If in fact Suzie was fully dressed this would definitely point to her letting someone she knew in the house, then something happened which caused Stacy to panic and try to flee.

MOO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has it been established if Suzie left in her clothes or if she had undressed for bed? Stacy had, as her clothes were found neatly folded. If in fact Suzie was fully dressed this would definitely point to her letting someone she knew in the house, then something happened which caused Stacy to panic and try to flee.

MOO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From what I remember, The clothes Suzie wore that night were found in her dirty clothes hamper. Per the original reports. I think they said they didn't know what Suzie left in, because her clothes were in the hamper.

From what I remember, The clothes Suzie wore that night were found in her dirty clothes hamper. Per the original reports. I think they said they didn't know what Suzie left in, because her clothes were in the hamper.

Per my post #164 I referred to a poster on Proboards who reports that Suzie was wearing the same clothes she wore to the parties that night. The poster, going by the handle Michoacán, did not provide any documentation but according to Richard/Mule, Michoacán is a credible source.

If you can document your information perhaps we can get to the bottom of this issue. If Suzie was wearing different clothes than she wore to the parties, it would be pretty compelling proof she had gone to bed before everything came down. If she was wearing the same clothes, you can't really tell because the clothes she had just taken off might be the quickest to put back on in a pinch. If this is what happened, I wouldn't expect her to put he shoes on since it was summer. If she was wearing the same shoes she wore to the parties, you have to suspect she was never undressed in the first place.

Per my post #164 I referred to a poster on Proboards who reports that Suzie was wearing the same clothes she wore to the parties that night. The poster, going by the handle Michoacán, did not provide any documentation but according to Richard/Mule, Michoacán is a credible source.

If you can document your information perhaps we can get to the bottom of this issue. If Suzie was wearing different clothes than she wore to the parties, it would be pretty compelling proof she had gone to bed before everything came down. If she was wearing the same clothes, you can't really tell because the clothes she had just taken off might be the quickest to put back on in a pinch. If this is what happened, I wouldn't expect her to put he shoes on since it was summer. If she was wearing the same shoes she wore to the parties, you have to suspect she was never undressed in the first place.

I've gone back and reread those posts. I'm somewhat surprised that this comes up. If the clothes she was wearing to the parties, etc., and they were missing when the inventory was taken it would show she either had not taken off her clothes or the many witnesses would surely have pointed out what she wore that evening if they were in the hamper.

I think what the poster was trying to say was that they were abruptly interupted which would account for Stacy's partial undressing. He also suggests that entry was potentially gained through the sliding glass door.

He provided a rather long and detailed account of what he thought went down. His credentials were very impressive. But it could also be entirely wrong. We won't know until and unless the case is solved.

What I would like to know most of all is who flunked the polygraph. If it is who I think it is, it would also explain why this case is dead in the water. That is to say, the police have known from day one who did this crime. He would have had the motive, the opportunity and evidently the means and perhaps had at least one "assistant" who may have accompanied him.

The interesting thing which has puzzled me is how positive other sources who were in a position to know is that one was the kidnapper but was not the killer. But that doesn't mean he couldn't have taken all three of them. I am more inclined to believe that Sherrill was taken earlier possibly never realizing she was in danger until she reached her destination.

The kidnapper was reported to be not too far away and had a "terrible alibi." And if he was polygraphed he may not know he flunked it. One could make the case that it would be advantageous for him to think that so he could be surveiled to see where the women were taken.

If you watch the 48hrs video, they show the hamper, some clothes in it, and make a statement eluding to the clothes she was wearing being in the hamper

I'm not convinced Stacy and Suzie made it to Sherrill's but I'll throw this out there since varnishing furniture inside makes no sense to me. Officer Bookout, who went to Sherrill's to take the missing persons report from Janis McCall, said the varnish fumes hit him hard when he got to Delmar. If the fumes lingered that much after 24 hours-with people in and out all day-how could anyone have slept there? Sherrill's windows were raised but would that be enough? Maybe she went to sleep in Suzie's room-away from the fumes-and took her purse with her. Three average sized women could sleep in a king size bed.

If you watch the 48hrs video, they show the hamper, some clothes in it, and make a statement eluding to the clothes she was wearing being in the hamper

That being the case, then we really don't know what she was wearing at the time she went missing. So as I understand it, the only thing we really know is that Sherrill was wearing a floral dress because it was not in the house. Evidently several people saw her in it earlier in the evening.

The matter of the paint fumes seems to suggest she would not be wearing it, but if someone she trusted came to her door she could easily have put it back on and left earlier in the night, before the girls arrived.

If I understand this correctly.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member