MISTRIAL - Sidney Moorer trial for Kidnapping Heather Elvis, 24 June 2016 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize this thread is about the trial of SM. But, if I am not mistaken, I really wonder if perhaps in TM's trial (cannot be soon enough) this is where the additional evidence that was found at the M's home that lead to them being imprisoned will be that it derived from none other than TM. Maybe trying SM was harder for the state than TM will be.
It sure seems to me like they totally did leave any communications between SM and TM out of the equation-maybe the judge ruled in favor of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I realize this thread is about the trial of SM. But, if I am not mistaken, I really wonder if perhaps in TM's trial (cannot be soon enough) this is where the additional evidence that was found at the M's home that lead to them being imprisoned will be that it derived from none other than TM. Maybe trying SM was harder for the state than TM will be.
It sure seems to me like they totally did leave any communications between SM and TM out of the equation-maybe the judge ruled in favor of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully this is where things can come together. I would think that anything they found in the home would be point to both, but who knows, maybe TM journaled about killing her or there are references to a plan. But I honestly think that would still be evidence for both trials so what we saw for SM may be all they have. If they can't tie her phone activity to SM or HE on the crime timeline, I think it will be hard to convict her.

But I do agree that it will be interesting to see where they go with her part or if there any intersecting with SM's activities and contacts to HE.

Actually, it was the Solicitor who defined kidnapping in a statement he made and he referred to the part of the statute where it means not letting someone leave.

And yes, in the phone log that was released in the media (which came from LE/state), Longbeard's was eliminated from the timeline (because, in my opinion, it interferes with the PTL narrative).

I haven't seen any evidence of why she drove to Longbeard's or PTL, but I think it's reasonable that it was to meet up with SM in both cases.

Other than the testimony of the cell guy, I haven't seen anything at all about Longbeard's (aside from the state's claim that she went there to decide if she should meet SM/drive to PTL) so I don't think we know what the career professionals did with the Longbeard's part of the timeline. But my guess is, they couldn't link it to PTL so they left it out. Because the state needs all three parties, or at least two of them, to be at that boat landing at the same time to have a case. So, even if this crime began at Longbeard's, the crime still has to have occurred at PTL from the state's perspective.

I don't know that a theory of them using her phone has to be in the equation for Longbeard's to be relevant. And no matter how many people are/were on trial, Longbeard's is still part of the timeline. I also don't think the number of questions posed makes Longbeard's relevant or irrelevant. And, I don't think we'll ever know why the state didn't know whose DNA it had, nor will we likely discover why authorities said there was evidence that gave them probable cause for a murder warrant, but it seems it wasn't sufficient or relevant at trial.

I do find it interesting that the lure happened during the pay phone call, but the victim had to find the perpetrator before the purpose of the lure could come to pass.

BBM - I don't know that the reason they did not release the LB's in the timeline was because it didn't fit the narrative. Why didn't they release the trip by SM to Walmart in the timeline? It's not unique to this case that all information is not released to the press or public.

Here is a good example of information not being released in a missing person's case and in my opinion is much more pertinent to a case than Longbeards.

David Thomas, a special agent in charge with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, said that officials believe Brittanee Drexel was held against her will in the McClellanville area for several days before she was killed. Officers would not say whether the remains of Drexel were ever found or exactly why they believe she is no longer alive.

Read more here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/article82525472.html#storylink=cpy

Hopefully this is where things can come together. I would think that anything they found in the home would be point to both, but who knows, maybe TM journaled about killing her or there are references to a plan. But I honestly think that would still be evidence for both trials so what we saw for SM may be all they have. If they can't tie her phone activity to SM or HE on the crime timeline, I think it will be hard to convict her.

But I do agree that it will be interesting to see where they go with her part or if there any intersecting with SM's activities and contacts to HE.

BBM - I totally agree, I think it will be hard to convict her. I believe SM was the easier one to try.

I think it has a lot to do with how late into the investigation they discovered the LB's data. Much of info was released around the time of the arrests, IIRC. It wasn't until months later, with the gag order in place that the LB's info was discovered. JMO, MOO, etc

BBM - I don't know that the reason they did not release the LB's in the timeline was because it didn't fit the narrative. Why didn't they release the trip by SM to Walmart in the timeline? It's not unique to this case that all information is not released to the press or public.

Here is a good example of information not being released in a missing person's case and in my opinion is much more pertinent to a case than Longbeards.

David Thomas, a special agent in charge with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, said that officials believe Brittanee Drexel was held against her will in the McClellanville area for several days before she was killed. Officers would not say whether the remains of Drexel were ever found or exactly why they believe she is no longer alive.

Read more here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/article82525472.html#storylink=cpy

They released the phone log. The calls to the pay phone are part of that log.

I don't know how else to say it.

I think it has a lot to do with how late into the investigation they discovered the LB's data. Much of info was released around the time of the arrests, IIRC. It wasn't until months later, with the gag order in place that the LB's info was discovered. JMO, MOO, etc

I can't imagine that they didn't see the pay phone calls on the log that they read the day they found her car, or the GPS to Longbeard's, since they saw that she drove to PTL.

I don't know if Longbeard's has useful information or not, although she did not seem to know where to bite the lure. But she sure made a lot of calls for someone who was going to sleep on things. That's not a criticism of Heather. It's an observation that leads me to wonder what all did she and SM discuss in those 4+ minutes that may have compelled her to call so many times and drive to Longbeard's. And did something happen there.

Sid and Tam knew this from Disclosure, so in turn, talked about them trying for a baby. It was their way of explaining away Sidney buying a pregnancy test.

It is very telling that they never once leaked anything about Longbeards. We know they knew about this before trial, but they don't want or like to talk about that part of the timeline.

]I can't imagine that they didn't see the pay phone calls on the log that they read the day they found her car, or the GPS to Longbeard's, since they saw that she drove to PTL.[/B]

I don't know if Longbeard's has useful information or not, although she did not seem to know where to bite the lure. But she sure made a lot of calls for someone who was going to sleep on things. That's not a criticism of Heather. It's an observation that leads me to wonder what all did she and SM discuss in those 4+ minutes that may have compelled her to call so many times and drive to Longbeard's. And did something happen there.

You made me think there Jilly!

It only underlines that the state were going with PTL as the crime scene from the first stages of the investigation.
They can argue that information came in late to them, but that isn't backed up by Livesay's closing argument.
They dropped the ball by ignoring the evidence in the hour of Longbeards.

Ive said it before. I wish Nancy had left the whole case for the guy that did the opening arguments to try.

(edited to clarify)

They released the phone log. The calls to the pay phone are part of that log.

I don't know how else to say it.

You don't have to say it any other way Jilly. I understand it bothers you. I'm good with that. It doesn't bother me.

You don't have to say it any other way Jilly. I understand it bothers you. I'm good with that. It doesn't bother me.

Sorry, when you kept explaining that not all evidence is released in all cases, I just wasn't following why you thought that editing a log that was released was the same thing.

It would have maybe answered a lot of questions if TE had allowed Heather's car to be analized. I cannot wrap my head around that decision.

It would have maybe answered a lot of questions if TE had allowed Heather's car to be analized. I cannot wrap my head around that decision.

That has got to be something Mr. Elvis regrets. I don't think the cop or Terry instantly understood the seriousness of her car being left there. Terry probably thought he was protecting his daughter by taking it. Unfortunately, the moment he left with the car, possible evidence was contaminated. That could have been instrumental in determining if she drove herself there, if there was someone else's fingerprints/DNA in car. I always had a problem with LE insistence that she drove herself to PTL and that the crime took place there. With the addition of the LB information, I highly doubt she drove herself to PTL. The way they insisted, I thought there may have been video of Heather driving herself there, but I don't think that was the case. This could have been the missing piece to this puzzle. How much time passed from when Terry took the car until it actually got processed? Did Mr. Elvis clean out the car before it was processed not realizing that it could contain evidence?

And another perfect example of why LE should have released this info earlier IMOOOOO!

For the past 6 years [7 since BD went missing], the focus and the "public's knowledge" of her disappearance has been on the Myrtle Beach area.

I guarantee that if you ask someone on the street about BD, 1.) They won't even know who she is. or 2.) Will say, "She's that girl that went missing from MB."

They won't say, "She's the girl from Rochester, NY that ran away from home to Myrtle Beach with a group of so-called-friends and went missing in the middle of the night and her phone last pinged in Georgetown County.

Those of us on the WS BD forum have had McClellanville in our sights since 2009.

If this info would have been made available sooner, then maybe people would have come forward sooner? Who knows? Who's memory is going to be that great from 7 years ago – that could have seen or heard something? How many CCTV's will still have footage from then? And, what is the point of doing a thorough search between McClellanville and North Charleston area at is point?

I see your point, but do you (or anyone else) think that if LE had/has significant information about the possible whereabouts of Heather, that they would keep it a big secret and withhold the knowledge from the public due to a gag order?

That sounds very irresponsible and doesn't help "find Heather Elvis" IMO.

The filings in court are to secure out-of-state witnesses for 12 days starting Aug. 29 and ending Sept. 9.

Jimmy Richardson, 15th Circuit Solicitor, said that those dates were chosen and the trial could start between those dates depending on motions from attorneys.

From your link above, thank you Gardenista!!! Good news, I was afraid this would drag on into next year!!

Court documents reveal possible retrial date for Sidney Moorer in Heather Elvis case

Sidney Moorer, charged with kidnapping in the disappearance of Heather Elvis, could possibly be retried at the end of August, according to court documents filed Wednesday.
The documents request Stephen Schiraldi, who went on a date with Elvis the day she disappeared, to be secured as a witness called by the prosecution between Aug. 29 to Sept. 9.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/crime/article89563342.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member