MN MN - Brandon Swanson, 19, Marshall, 14 May 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi, do you happen to know if Brandon was on any debate teams or mock trial teams? Josh Guimond, missing from St Johns in Collegeville, MN was captain of the mock trial team.

When, at the same time Brandon could have been? When did Josh go missing? I'll go look. TIA

Possibly yes. Although surely he'd have mentioned something to his parents though?

Someone on Reddit asked something incredibly cryptic that never got explained:

"If anyone is familiar with this case or area and understands the significance between 'tiger' and also a 'dog' (most likely seperate terms) involving Brandon Swanson please contact me."

Anyone know what this could be about??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshall High's mascot is a Tiger. I came across a couple of schools that have a Bulldog mascot. I just don't know what it means, if anything.

I just read all 19 pages of this thread. I found out about this case from a link, posted on another website, that had a tile something along the lines of creepy last calls people made before they disappeared or died.

The "oh $h**" remark and the call being suddenly cut off does intrigue me. As another poster mentioned, I too would be interested in knowing exactly how he said it. A lot could be learned from that in my opinion.

Also, I assume that the phone went dead instantly based on what I've read. If that's the case then i don't think he dropped it and it hung up. His dad would have heard the phone drop, even if the phone got dropped and the battery flew out and that's what made it go dead. From what I've read the dad heard him say "oh $***" and then instant silence. Is that correct?

Also, had he slipped and dropped the phone his dad would have heard the phone falling before it cut off unless Brandon's finger was on the hang up button and he accidentally hit it just as he started to fall. Also I would think if the phone fell in water that again, his dad would have heard something as the phone fell.

I seriously doubt the "oh $***" was because he realized his phone was going dead. Usually phones just die. What are the odds of him realizing his phone was going dead, as he was walking in the dark in the middle of nowhere, as he was talking on it and then saying "oh $***" right as it went dead? Not likely in my opinion. So, unless he had his finger on the hang up button and accidentally hung it up right as he slipped or fell I think a fall does not explain the call hanging up like it did. I'd be interested to know what kind of phone he had.

Also, as another poster mentioned, I'd also be interested to know what lights he saw. He said he saw lights in the distance and even though he wasn't where he thought he was he obviously saw some lights,

From what I've gathered, Brandon's father heard him say "oh ****" and then what he described as a sound like a foot slipping.

Further attempts to call Brandon were made. It rang for a while then went to voicemail. Which to me suggests the phone was still on and battery intact. If the battery was out or the phone dead, it would have gone straight to voicemail without ringing.

So, I'm assuming Brandon said "oh ****" and then hung up himself.

I wonder if an FOIA request could be made to get the police files for Brandon's case. I get a feeling there's a lot we've not been told. And Brandon is listed on vicap, which seems bizarre for a missing person case.

I'm guessing Brandon's investigation may be linked to others in the area?

I just read all 19 pages of this thread. I found out about this case from a link, posted on another website, that had a tile something along the lines of creepy last calls people made before they disappeared or died.

The "oh $h**" remark and the call being suddenly cut off does intrigue me. As another poster mentioned, I too would be interested in knowing exactly how he said it. A lot could be learned from that in my opinion.

Also, I assume that the phone went dead instantly based on what I've read. If that's the case then i don't think he dropped it and it hung up. His dad would have heard the phone drop, even if the phone got dropped and the battery flew out and that's what made it go dead. From what I've read the dad heard him say "oh $***" and then instant silence. Is that correct?

Also, had he slipped and dropped the phone his dad would have heard the phone falling before it cut off unless Brandon's finger was on the hang up button and he accidentally hit it just as he started to fall. Also I would think if the phone fell in water that again, his dad would have heard something as the phone fell.

I seriously doubt the "oh $***" was because he realized his phone was going dead. Usually phones just die. What are the odds of him realizing his phone was going dead, as he was walking in the dark in the middle of nowhere, as he was talking on it and then saying "oh $***" right as it went dead? Not likely in my opinion. So, unless he had his finger on the hang up button and accidentally hung it up right as he slipped or fell I think a fall does not explain the call hanging up like it did. I'd be interested to know what kind of phone he had.

Also, as another poster mentioned, I'd also be interested to know what lights he saw. He said he saw lights in the distance and even though he wasn't where he thought he was he obviously saw some lights,

I feel quite sure that the "oh ****" was due to Brandon being taken totally off guard, as in surprised or shocked. Because it was a sudden exclamation, at least according to his father. If it was sudden, exclamatory, and brief, and his phone was immediately disconnected, then it was something that happened that was totally unexpected. A totally unexpected surprise, and not a good one. :( JMO

From what I've gathered, Brandon's father heard him say "oh ****" and then what he described as a sound like a foot slipping.

Further attempts to call Brandon were made. It rang for a while then went to voicemail. Which to me suggests the phone was still on and battery intact. If the battery was out or the phone dead, it would have gone straight to voicemail without ringing.

So, I'm assuming Brandon said "oh ****" and then hung up himself.

I wonder if an FOIA request could be made to get the police files for Brandon's case. I get a feeling there's a lot we've not been told. And Brandon is listed on vicap, which seems bizarre for a missing person case.

I'm guessing Brandon's investigation may be linked to others in the area?

I agree that Brandon's listing on VICAP is significant. I believe there is evidence that hasn't been disclosed, otherwise why VICAP? Most missing persons aren't listed that way, unless there's evidence of a crime aka foul play. I have to wonder though if they have evidence, why there have been no arrests. Then again, it seems to be not uncommon. These cases are so frustrating. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be an FBI agent. :gaah:

I agree that Brandon's listing on VICAP is significant. I believe there is evidence that hasn't been disclosed, otherwise why VICAP? Most missing persons aren't listed that way, unless there's evidence of a crime aka foul play. I have to wonder though if they have evidence, why there have been no arrests. Then again, it seems to be not uncommon. These cases are so frustrating. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be an FBI agent. :gaah:

Yes I'm pretty sure there's a lot of info that's not been released. I did see a post on here by the head of the search team. He was talking about dogs searching for Brandon and referred vaguely to their "initial findings".

I'm a UK citizen so probably can't, but can someone here make a FOIA request for the case files?

I wonder what the status is with Brandon's case. Is it closed as far as LE are concerned? I'm still thinking an FOIA request is the only way we can go forward trying to figure this one out...

Brandon's story was featured on the Thinking Sideways podcast today. I'm going to have a listen: thinkingsidewayspodcast.com

If you haven't read through the earlier posts, there is a ton of valuable information in there, including the fact that some calls to Brandon's cell phone afterward rang for a bit or went straight to voicemail meant nothing as far as whether the battery died, the phone got wet or was smashed, or was still working. And IIRC, Brandon reported seeing the lights of a town, but not headlights. Before abandoning his car, Brandon's father was searching for him. They were trying to flash their headlights at one another, but neither could see the other.

Neesaki, the post of your map was REALLY helpful (page 18 for those who want to reference). Did you get that from another source (like the search blog) or create it yourself? I've only been following this case on WS and was thinking maybe I need to start researching the blog, too. Looking at the satellite view of the map makes it obvious how someone could get lost around there, especially at night, even if you are somewhat familiar with the area. Brandon said he was walking near water and fences with city lights in the distance. Depending on how far Brandon got on his walk after leaving the car and in which direction he headed, there are several locations that fit this description.

I don't live anywhere near this region, but if someone does and would be willing to request the records of the case through FOIA, that would be most helpful. A prior post mentioned that Brandon's father wrote a transcript of his call with Brandon from recollection - that is a major missing piece of the puzzle, although I would hope the searchers have access to this.

One element I don't hear discussed often is why Brandon took back roads in the first place. Could be any of the following:
1. Not wanting to get home right away. I did this often as a teen - driving the back roads because driving was still exciting.
2. More comfortable driving back roads than a highway. Again, I can attest to this, but I'd be less inclined to do that in such an area at night.
3. Avoiding the highway because he was afraid of being stopped by police (maybe not too drunk to drive, but he was underage).

Of this list, #3 makes the most sense to me and correlates to reports from friends that he had been drinking that night. Still, it doesn't mean he was so intoxicated that he was unable to orient himself properly, and his father strongly felt that he didn't sound intoxicated during their phone call. A prior post from Jeff (the leader of the search efforts and blog) described how easy it would be to get disoriented in this area at night.

I'm off to listen to the podcast and check out the blog to see what else I can find. Kudos to everyone pulling up so much information and helping to keep interest in this case alive even eight years after Brandon went missing.

Love that podcast! Listening now. Really hoping it gets a lot of new interest in Brandon.

As a UK citizen I don't think I'm able to make an FOIA request. But I'd hugely appreciate anyone doing so and sharing the info. I really think that'll help.

Interesting questions re: back roads. Supposedly he was over the alcohol limit and presumably didn't want to be pulled over.

I see Neesaki linked to the source of the map:
caseravel.com/brandon-swanson-vanished

I see Neesaki linked to the source of the map:
caseravel.com/brandon-swanson-vanished

And matching that up to Google Maps gives us a lat/long of approx. 44.619370 and -96.092985 along Lyon Lincoln County Rd. Does that seem right?

And matching that up to Google Maps gives us a lat/long of approx. 44.619370 and -96.092985 along Lyon Lincoln County Rd. Does that seem right?

I have no idea, if it looks right it probably is, unfortunately I'm not that good with maps, lol. Thanks so much for the podcast, I'll listen to it when I have time. Good to see you here, reintarnation. :wave:

Great podcast. They really laid out all the info cleanly and simply. They ran through the theories and possibilities. They seemed to agree that foul play was the most likely reason for Brandon's disappearance. I think they're probably right... Frustrating though, as we have nothing to go on. Not a single lead of note...

?
Brandon's story was featured on the Thinking Sideways podcast today. I'm going to have a listen: thinkingsidewayspodcast.com

If you haven't read through the earlier posts, there is a ton of valuable information in there, including the fact that some calls to Brandon's cell phone afterward rang for a bit or went straight to voicemail meant nothing as far as whether the battery died, the phone got wet or was smashed, or was still working. And IIRC, Brandon reported seeing the lights of a town, but not headlights. Before abandoning his car, Brandon's father was searching for him. They were trying to flash their headlights at one another, but neither could see the other.

Neesaki, the post of your map was REALLY helpful (page 18 for those who want to reference). Did you get that from another source (like the search blog) or create it yourself? I've only been following this case on WS and was thinking maybe I need to start researching the blog, too. Looking at the satellite view of the map makes it obvious how someone could get lost around there, especially at night, even if you are somewhat familiar with the area. Brandon said he was walking near water and fences with city lights in the distance. Depending on how far Brandon got on his walk after leaving the car and in which direction he headed, there are several locations that fit this description.

I don't live anywhere near this region, but if someone does and would be willing to request the records of the case through FOIA, that would be most helpful. A prior post mentioned that Brandon's father wrote a transcript of his call with Brandon from recollection - that is a major missing piece of the puzzle, although I would hope the searchers have access to this.

One element I don't hear discussed often is why Brandon took back roads in the first place. Could be any of the following:
1. Not wanting to get home right away. I did this often as a teen - driving the back roads because driving was still exciting.
2. More comfortable driving back roads than a highway. Again, I can attest to this, but I'd be less inclined to do that in such an area at night.
3. Avoiding the highway because he was afraid of being stopped by police (maybe not too drunk to drive, but he was underage).

Of this list, #3 makes the most sense to me and correlates to reports from friends that he had been drinking that night. Still, it doesn't mean he was so intoxicated that he was unable to orient himself properly, and his father strongly felt that he didn't sound intoxicated during their phone call. A prior post from Jeff (the leader of the search efforts and blog) described how easy it would be to get disoriented in this area at night.

I'm off to listen to the podcast and check out the blog to see what else I can find. Kudos to everyone pulling up so much information and helping to keep interest in this case alive even eight years after Brandon went missing.

Does anyone know exactly where they found his car? When I was listening to the thinking sideways podcast they said he took a left onto the lyon county road, there are only 2 places for that to happen until it turns into a different road.
Being that the scent dogs found his scent up to 160th is it possible that he went up to the road and walked back down to follow it from below? He was so close to so many houses that its sad he didn't stop by those.
I am going to attach a map to show you what the land looks like there and where the road was in relation to the road that his car was found on. Porter is off to the left and Taunton was down to the south right a bit. You will have to go the Google Maps Earth view to see what the tree line looked like there as well and to get a better picture of what his path may have looked like.
It would be nice to see a path of where they searched with the dogs to see where he may have gone into the water.
Does anyone know what made them think that going up to Mud Creek might be an option?
Is it possible that when he was talking about the water he mean the body of water east of the lyon county road? 160th goes east from that body of water too?

Attachments

• 2nd pic.jpg
    2nd pic.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 67

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members