MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, 11 April 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Although this bill may not solve all the specific issues relating to police brutality, this bill could have prevented Daunte Wright's death," said state Rep. Samantha Vang, DFL-Brooklyn Center, one of the bill's sponsors.

The bill, which cleared a Minnesota House committee on Tuesday, is the second new policy proposal sparked by Wright's killing during a traffic stop this month. It would require judges to issue "sign and release" warrants instead of arrest warrants for certain offenses. Police who encounter people with those "sign and release" warrants in their name would provide written notice of a future court appearance in their cases in lieu of arrest.

Police said they pulled Wright over for expired registration, and then discovered that Wright had a warrant for a gross misdemeanor weapons charge. Seconds after pulling away from officers as they tried to arrest him, Wright was fatally shot by former officer Kimberly Potter, who can be heard on video yelling, "Taser, Taser" before shooting Wright with her pistol.

https://www.startribune.com/wright-s-death-fuels-push-to-change-minnesota-warrant-process/600050879/

"Although this bill may not solve all the specific issues relating to police brutality, this bill could have prevented Daunte Wright's death," said state Rep. Samantha Vang, DFL-Brooklyn Center, one of the bill's sponsors.

The bill, which cleared a Minnesota House committee on Tuesday, is the second new policy proposal sparked by Wright's killing during a traffic stop this month. It would require judges to issue "sign and release" warrants instead of arrest warrants for certain offenses. Police who encounter people with those "sign and release" warrants in their name would provide written notice of a future court appearance in their cases in lieu of arrest.

Police said they pulled Wright over for expired registration, and then discovered that Wright had a warrant for a gross misdemeanor weapons charge. Seconds after pulling away from officers as they tried to arrest him, Wright was fatally shot by former officer Kimberly Potter, who can be heard on video yelling, "Taser, Taser" before shooting Wright with her pistol.

Wright's death fuels push to change Minnesota warrant process

I understand and don't think this DW should have been shot and killed. I fully believe it was an unintentional fatal mistake by the officer and I feel badly that DW lost his life because of it. It shouldn't have happened.

At the same time, we can't dismiss or keep making excuses for people who resist arrest. It doesn't seem like people want to recognize that this is also part of the problem and it shouldn't be overlooked.

jmo

I understand and don't think this DW should have been shot and killed. I fully believe it was an unintentional fatal mistake by the officer and I feel badly that DW lost his life because of it. It shouldn't have happened.

At the same time, we can't dismiss or keep making excuses for people who resist arrest. It doesn't seem like people want to recognize that this is also part of the problem and it shouldn't be overlooked.

jmo
I wonder how cops in other countries arrest people without killing them. UK police do not even have guns but manage to arrest people.

No, GF didn't have a gun, but going back to my original post I was talking about resisting arrest and I believe GF resisted arrest.

jmo

I 100% agree with you. What people are glossing over is the fact that people have accountability - including the way that they react to LE. They shouldn't die - and I think Daunte is a case of a horrible, horrible, mistake. However, why do we keep defending and not addressing the fact that a lot of these criminals are resisting arrest and/or fleeing. I honestly think in other countries, there is a greater amount of respect for LE, that is possibly one of the reasons they don't see these same issues. I feel that something is going wrong in our society when young people, and even older generations, no longer have respect for authority. JMHO

I'm far more depressed when LE has so little respect for 'criminals' that they just execute them.
George Floyd 'resisted' because he suffered from claustrophobia.
Daunte Wright nor his lawyer had received a notification to attend a zoom hearing.
Is that resisting or objecting?
Was he driving away when he was fatally shot and killed?

Did he not just sit back in his vehicle?
We don't really know, do we?
Reason being is that LE just released a single short clip of bodycam footage.
Luckily a bystander has been able to tell us that they took their sweet time getting him assistance after fatally shooting him.

People feel certain it was an accident.
I'm less sure.
Veteran cops have no excuse , especially while on a training exercise.
It's a miracle Daunte's passenger wasn't killed too.
Would that have been two accidents or still the first?

If his vehicle had hit another car, they could all have been killed as well..
This is about accountability.
Not making excuses for those who are paid and trained to KNOW better and to BE better.

I need to qualify that I hate, hate, hate how many deaths we are seeing at the hands of cops. I also realize that statistically speaking, the experiences we are seeing is a small percentage compared to the interactions that cops have with people.

How do we know what police are thinking when a criminal "objects"? How do they know when it is objecting vs resisting? How are they to know when a criminal jumps back in their vehicle that there isn't a gun in said vehicle?

In Daunte's case, he already had a charge of fleeing. How can you tell what his intentions were? How many LE officers are killed every day in the line of duty? Split second decisions are made, and I honestly would NOT want to be an LE officer and have to make these decisions.

I do not believe all LE officers are good, but not all are bad. Should they be held accountable? Absolutely. Should criminals be allowed to choose whether or not to obey? I really don't think so. Should they die when they don't obey? No. But, we do need to realize that every situation needs to be judged based upon that circumstance. We also again need to also hold the criminals responsible. GF should not have been killed; there is NO doubt that Chauvin deserved to be tried. However, GF drove to the store in a car. You say he had claustrophobia, but he also had ODD. Putting him in the back of the police car isn't any different than driving to the store.

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Daunte Wright’s girlfriend, Alayna Albrecht-Payton, who was in the car earlier this month when a Brooklyn Center police officer fatally shot her boyfriend, suffered a fractured jaw during the police encounter, her family says.

Albrecht-Payton’s mother, Danielle Albrecht, says her daughter’s jaw was broken and required surgery following the encounter on April 11, which she described as a “brutal attack.” Danielle Albrecht created a Fund page to help cover her daughter’s medical expenses.

Bennet said he intends to take legal action and that he’s requested all body-worn camera footage of Albrecht-Payton’s interactions with officers.
Daunte Wright’s Girlfriend Suffered Broken Jaw During Police Encounter, Mother Says

@PaulBlume_FOX9
·
Attorney General Keith Ellison office to take over prosecution of former Brooklyn Center police officer Kimberly Potter in traffic stop shooting death of #DaunteWright. Will include review of charges. No word yet, if charges will be enhanced to murder.
@FOX9

@AGEllison
, in written statement: "I did not seek this prosecution and do not accept it lightly...No one, however, should expect this case will be easy to prosecute. History shows that this case, like all cases of officer-involved deaths by deadly force, will be difficult."

AG Ellison's office to lead prosecution of officer charged in Daunte Wright's death

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members