MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, 11 April 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't open this link, geoblocked.
Was he investigated at the time for it?

A newly filed lawsuit claims that Wright shot 16-year-old Caleb Livingston in the head at a Minneapolis gas station on May 14, 2019, leaving him with permanent physical and mental disabilities.

Livingston’s mother is seeking damages from Wright’s estate to help pay for her son’s continuing care.

Although Wright was not criminally charged before his death in connection with Livingston’s shooting, the civil court filings in the case allege that “evidence generated to date reveals that the perpetrator of this crime was Daunte Wright.”

Livingston’s mother also alleges in court documents that Wright was a gang member with a lengthy criminal history.

At the time, no one was charged in the shooting. But attorneys for Livingston’s mother point to new evidence they say links Wright to the crime.

Wright is accused of shooting a teen and a former classmate on separate occasions in a pair of civil lawsuits against his estate.

In May 2019, 16-year-old Caleb Livingston was at a Full Stop gas station in Minneapolis when Wright allegedly pulled out a gun and shot him in the head, according to one of the lawsuits.

Livingston is now in a "vegetative state" known as unresponsive wakefulness syndrome, according to attorney Mike Padden, who is representing both plaintiffs against Wright’s estate.

Three weeks before his death, Wright and an accomplice allegedly shot former classmate Joshua Hodges in the leg and stole his car, according to the second civil lawsuit.

The accomplice’s bullet is said to have broken his fibula, struck an artery and left permanent damage.

Hodges was able to identify Wright because, before the carjacking, he got out of a different vehicle without a mask on – and the two made eye contact, according to the lawsuit. Wright allegedly masked up and proceeded anyway.

New allegations paint Daunte Wright as violent offender as top Democrats who attended his funeral silent

Duante Wright doesn't deserve any hero accolades, political mourners or protests for a young black man shot by police. His story is a polar opposite to George Flyod's. I am truly sad that DW was shot, but at this point, I feel more compassion for the cop who is suffering the reprecussions of her actions. Instead of DW sentenced to life for his crimes, she will be sentenced to a life she doesn't deserve. jmo

Duante Wright doesn't deserve any hero accolades, political mourners or protests for a young black man shot by police. His story is a polar opposite to George Flyod's. I am truly sad that DW was shot, but at this point, I feel more compassion for the cop who is suffering the reprecussions of her actions. Instead of DW sentenced to life for his crimes, she will be sentenced to a life she doesn't deserve. jmo
Alleged crimes.

my opinion remains the same. i never thought DW deserved rewards. if he did those things, he should have been arrested and tried. the police officer who shot him should face repercussions for her bad shooting as well.

my opinion remains the same. i never thought DW deserved rewards. if he did those things, he should have been arrested and tried. the police officer who shot him should face repercussions for her bad shooting as well.
In this case Daunte Wright is the victim.
I was glad his name was mentioned today by the lawyers for George Floyd.

The fact remains that he was unarmed.

The fact remains that he was attempting to run from police - AGAIN.

The fact remains that this officer tried a non-lethal means and made a very grave error.
No, actually, he was sitting when he was shot.
The video, or should I say the scrap of the video that was deemed fit for public consumption is on the very first page of the very first thread.
And seriously, even if he'd been flying through the air like Batman, she should not have shot him dead, lost her composure to the extent that she didn't allegedly know her gun from her pencil , went full on hysterical and all the while training new recruits!!

What kind of police will they become based upon her example?

There is a victim here and there is a perp.
The victim is dead.
Say his name!
Daunte Wright.

On Thursday, Judge Regina Chu ruled that there will be no recording or livestreaming of the trial. She also moved up the start date by about a week, to Nov. 30.

Under Minnesota law, a defendant has a right to a public trial, but that is designed to benefit the defendant, not the public, Chu wrote. The public and media also have a right to access, but under Minnesota court rules, audio and video coverage of a criminal trial is barred unless all parties consent. Coverage of sentencings is allowed without consent, unless the judge finds cause to prohibit it.

Chu wrote that in Potter's case, the defendant didn't consent to her trial being broadcast.

The trial for Kim Potter won't be broadcast

https://mncourts.gov/mncourtsgov/media/High-Profile-Cases/27-CR-21-7460/Order08052021.pdf

On Thursday, Judge Regina Chu ruled that there will be no recording or livestreaming of the trial. She also moved up the start date by about a week, to Nov. 30.

Under Minnesota law, a defendant has a right to a public trial, but that is designed to benefit the defendant, not the public, Chu wrote. The public and media also have a right to access, but under Minnesota court rules, audio and video coverage of a criminal trial is barred unless all parties consent. Coverage of sentencings is allowed without consent, unless the judge finds cause to prohibit it.

Chu wrote that in Potter's case, the defendant didn't consent to her trial being broadcast.

https://mncourts.gov/mncourtsgov/media/High-Profile-Cases/27-CR-21-7460/Order08052021.pdf
There is NO way I would ever want my trial televised. All I can think of is the OJ Simpson trial and the Casey Anthony trial and how things went on and on because attorneys were playing to the cameras.

Quel surprise!
NOT.

Prosecutors Add More Serious Charge Against Ex-Cop Kim Potter in Shooting Death of Daunte Wright

These courses included training on how to draw, aim, and use each weapon correctly. The training material for these courses also included notices alerting Defendant to the possibility and risks of drawing a handgun instead of a Taser,” charging documents say. “In the six months before this incident, Defendant completed two Taser-specific training courses. For example, on March 2, 2021, Defendant attended a four-hour training course pertaining to the Taser. This course involved a classroom component, which provided detailed and substantive information concerning the function, proper use, and safety concerns associated with using Tasers; a practical component; and a written test. After this training, Defendant was certified for use of the Taser X7.”

609.20 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE FIRST DEGREE.
Whoever does any of the following is guilty of manslaughter in the first degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 15 years or to payment of a fine of not more than $30,000, or both:
(1) intentionally causes the death of another person in the heat of passion provoked by such words or acts of another as would provoke a person of ordinary self-control under like circumstances, provided that the crying of a child does not constitute provocation;
(2) violates section 609.224 and causes the death of another or causes the death of another in committing or attempting to commit a misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor offense with such force and violence that death of or great bodily harm to any person was reasonably foreseeable, and murder in the first or second degree was not committed thereby;
(3) intentionally causes the death of another person because the actor is coerced by threats made by someone other than the actor’s coconspirator and which cause the actor reasonably to believe that the act performed by the actor is the only means of preventing imminent death to the actor or another;
(4) proximately causes the death of another, without intent to cause death by, directly or indirectly, unlawfully selling, giving away, bartering, delivering, exchanging, distributing, or administering a controlled substance classified in Schedule III, IV, or V; or
(5) causes the death of another in committing or attempting to commit a violation of section 609.377 (malicious punishment of a child), and murder in the first, second, or third degree is not committed thereby.
As used in this section, a “person of ordinary self-control” does not include a person under the influence of intoxicants or a controlled substance.

ETA text

Last edited:
Attorneys asked a judge to dismiss a new manslaughter charge against the former suburban Minneapolis police officer who shot and killed Daunte Wright during a traffic stop this spring.

Former Brooklyn Center Officer Kim Potter says she mistakenly drew her firearm instead of her stun gun as Wright was trying to drive away from officers during the stop in April.

Lawyer asks judge to toss new charge in Daunte Wright case | Daily Mail Online

https://mncourts.gov/mncourtsgov/me...60/27CR217460_Motion-to-Dismiss_9-15-2021.pdf

[URL='https://twitter.com/PaulBlume_FOX9']@PaulBlume_FOX9

State prosecutors filing several Friday motions in advance of Kimberly Potter's trial on Manslaughter charges. Here asking judge to exclude any "irrelevant" witness testimony abt allegations of #DaunteWright prior criminal activity, prior police contacts & gang affiliations
@FOX9

https://mncourts.gov/mncourtsgov/media/High-Profile-Cases/27-CR-21-7460/Motion.pdf[/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PixelP