GUILTY MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, Apr 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"I'll never be able to forgive you for what you've stolen from us," Wright's mother, Katie Wright, said to Potter.
[snip]
"My heart wanted to see remorse, sadness in her eyes," she said. "I wanted to see her mouth the words 'I'm sorry,' but she sat there with such entitlement and privilege. She never once looked at us."

Later in the hearing, Potter apologized, saying she didn't believe she "had a right" to look at the family. "Katie, I understand a mother's love, and I am sorry I broke your heart," Potter said. "My heart is broken for all of you."
Kim Potter sentenced to 2 years for killing Daunte Wright

I feel the sentence was just. I never believed the shooting was with malice or intentional. I believe KP feels extreme remorse and has since day one. Just a heartbreaking case to see play out, for all involved. I think justice was done here.

"I'll never be able to forgive you for what you've stolen from us," Wright's mother, Katie Wright, said to Potter.
[snip]
"My heart wanted to see remorse, sadness in her eyes," she said. "I wanted to see her mouth the words 'I'm sorry,' but she sat there with such entitlement and privilege. She never once looked at us."

Later in the hearing, Potter apologized, saying she didn't believe she "had a right" to look at the family. "Katie, I understand a mother's love, and I am sorry I broke your heart," Potter said. "My heart is broken for all of you."
Kim Potter sentenced to 2 years for killing Daunte Wright

I feel the sentence was just. I never believed the shooting was with malice or intentional. I believe KP feels extreme remorse and has since day one. Just a heartbreaking case to see play out, for all involved. I think justice was done here.

KP can definitely appeal her sentence, but I agree that two years is just. She is fortunate to have a judge that balanced the outcome. And KP quit the police department, prior to any inquiry. She retired with a full pension, that she earned.

She will more than likely be in a minimum security facility, and probably segregated for safety.

Last edited:
This is probably the most fair outcome given what we know, but I would like to know if she was under the influence of something that day. She just seemed so odd in her behavior, even before the shooting. Did anything ever come out about a tox screen?

It doesn't seem like these officers who shoot are ever tested immediately after, and I think it should be required by law.

ADMIN NOTE:

It is unfortunate that many posts had to be removed because the original post they replied to was removed as off-topic and a violation of TOS. When replies to the original violating post also get replies, it is a long line of posts that all daisy-chain back to that post, and they too must be removed. It is similar to the “fruit of the poisoned tree” concept in evidence collection.

Here is the rule that applies to the original removed post:
Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing known victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way, and only when such behavior is known to be relevant to the case.”

What is known in MSM about victim’s history may be discussed, but “only when the behavior is known to be relevant to the crime.”
Discussing how grateful you are this victim was not in your area, or that it is right that he is dead, is not allowed. That does NOT relate to the crime that is being discussed here, which is the shooting death of this victim.

That is pretty straightforward.
And please refrain from replying to posts that contain such violations.
Report them and then move on.

THANKS for helping to keep Websleuths above the rest.

I think this is a good sentence.
I dont. Though the police officer did not show malice in her mistake, the mistake still led to the death of another person.

The gravity of the mistake is compounded by the fact that the police officer was fully trained (was a trainer herself) and was assisting in an arrest that was with in her experience level. She was not say, pulled from long term administrative duty at the impound lot and suddenly told to take a lead role in a SWAT raid.

In the end, I would go for 4 years in prison. I would be fine with a tacit position by the State not to oppose early release. As a result, 4 years would probably be more like 2 years- maybe less if there are half way house and work release possibilities.

Two years, however, could equate to one year- and is too much like: Take a life? Ok, miss a Christmas and a B-day, then get on with the rest of your life.....

Personally, I wonder if the outcome would have turned out differently if the trial had ended at a time other than right before Christmas. It seems the jurors had reached unanimous agreement on the 2nd degree charge, before they became deadlocked at 4pm Dec 21st, and came to the judge for guidance... and then reached unanimous agreement to the 1st degree charge just before noon Dec 23rd. I'm sure the jurors must've been concerned about getting home to their families and so much to do to prepare for however they celebrate the holidays.

From the link above:

They appeared deadlocked at 4 p.m. Dec. 21, asking Chu for guidance about how to proceed, and were sent back into deliberations.

Jurors reached a guilty verdict on second-degree manslaughter at 10:30 a.m. Dec. 21, and convicted Potter on first-degree manslaughter at 11:40 a.m. Dec. 23.

"The settlement won’t be finalized until an agreement is reached over police training on issues like officer intervention, implicit bias, weapons confusion, mental health crises and other issues, along with a permanent memorial to Wright, a statement from the family’s attorneys said."

"The changes also prohibit police from making arrests for low-level offenses and require the city to use unarmed civilians to handle minor traffic violations."

This does not sound like a good idea to me.

October 25, 2022

"Caleb Livingston was 16 years old in May 2019 when Wright allegedly shot him in the head at the Full Stop gas station on Lowry Avenue North in Minneapolis, according to court documents.

As a result, he was left permanently disabled – unable to walk, talk or take care of himself due to a condition called unresponsive wakefulness syndrome.

"It is clear Caleb's tragic death was caused by the criminal conduct of Daunte Wright," Mike Padden, the attorney handling a civil lawsuit on behalf of Livingston’s family, told Fox News Digital Monday. "As such, in the near future, we will be amending our complaint to note that the case is a matter of wrongful death as opposed to personal injury."

I'm sorry to hear that Caleb Livingston has died. I certainly hope his lawsuit is successful.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr
Back