MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #11 - Chauvin Trial Day 8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like the prosecution to show the "crowd" after the ambulance left. NONE of the officers cared about that crowd the moment Floyd was gone. This "crowd" problem needs to stop persisting. There was no level of threat against the police, even as the police killed a man in front of them.

N: In terms of, you're an officer and you're engaged w/ the suspect & somebody else is pacing around & watching you and calling you names, saying you're a *advertiser censored***ing p***y. This could be viewed by a reasonable officer as a threat.
S: As a potential threat, correct.

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1379832998745477123?s=21

N: You've heard that the phrase "control the head control the body."
S: Yes.
N: That's commonly what police officers are trained right?
S: Yes, when it comes to handcuffing correct.
N: And in ground defense, right.

No matter what Nelson says he can’t justify 9 minutes and 29 seconds! If his expert comes in and says 9 minutes and 29 seconds was justified, s/he will lose all credibility. That’s a hired gun. DC will be convicted. JMO.

Paul Blume
@PaulBlume_FOX9
·
2m
Courtroom pool reporter: "Practically all jurors taking notes when viewing pix of Chauvin applying pain inducing hold to Floyd’s hand"
Additionally, full jury said to be looking "attentively at pix of bystanders" during testimony abt how threatening crowd may have been for police

link: https://twitter.com/PaulBlume_FOX9

Not much tweeting going on - and real life calls....

@Chelly - if you are here - maybe you can take over Cathy's tweets - she isn't do much today! :)

I don’t think they actually called for backup, did they?
I may be assuming a bit too much here but I would expect that a police officer in a large metropolitan area in the US is used to dealing with far angrier mobs than a couple of blokes, and old man, some kids and a shouty woman.

I'm unsure if they did at that time. But Lane said it, which means to me that he at least thought they should?

Lane seems to be the smartest one there, hes the only one that questioned if they should move GF.... but that is JMO.

I'd like the prosecution to show the "crowd" after the ambulance left. NONE of the officers cared about that crowd the moment Floyd was gone. This "crowd" problem needs to stop persisting. There was no level of threat against the police, even as the police killed a man in front of them.

You're missing all the points Nelson is getting the prosecution witness to agree with the defense on

My main issue with Nelson is that he is asking many questions that don't pertain to the situaton. When he asks, for example, about the crowd being a distraction, my first thought is -- "but they wanted him to render aid. Had he done that, they wouldn't be upset."

I also do not like Nelson's deceptiveness. That play with the "knee on the neck/not on the neck" was deplorable. Several experienced police officials have seen it and fired DC because of it. The officers who were with him said in their BCA interviews that it the knee was on the neck. You can see in these officers' cams that the knee was on the neck. You can even see in J Alexander's cam that DC had to move his knee so the EMS could check the neck.

I hope the jurors recognize his tactic instead of using it as an excuse to hang the jury.

This thing with the crowd is really weak. I saw 13 people standing on a curb. If the crowd was so bad, why didn't Thomas Lane go help Tau with the crowd? If you look at Lane's body cam, he is barely holding on to Floyd's legs. At some point, he is not touching Floyd at all. I wish the prosecution would bring this up.

If these four couldn't handle that crowd, they should never have been police to start with.
I agree with you completely.

(Edited out double quote)

Last edited:
I always view trials as if I were a member of the jury. In regards to where the knee was placed would not matter to me at all if I were a juror. I would be irritated that the defense is even trying to argue that his knee allegedly being on GF's shoulder vs neck mattered at all. The defendant provided zero assistance to GF and continued to keep his body weight on him after he knew he didn't have a pulse. He clearly went against his training and chose to not value the human life he was in charge of. If I were a juror, nothing the defense could offer would sway my opinion after having to sit through multiple videos of different angles of GF dying and feeling so helpless and angry that this man on trial could have not only prevented it but may quite possibly have done it on purpose. JMHO

I used to work for a police force for nearly 30 years. I wasn't a cop but worked in an environment where I had fairly close contact with LE and regularly attended sessions and training exercises with them. Part of the culture when on week long training was to sit around and discuss war stories about their time in the field (most of these guys were now either commissioned officers or higher up uniformed staff). There were lots of funny, funny stories that I enjoyed listening to but sometimes one of the overarching themes in these stories was a perception of a gradual dehumanization of certain segments of society. A lot of these guys I worked with recognized it as burnout and realized it was time to move either forward in their careers or quit. One of them became the Commissioner, the highest rank in Ontario. So I think there is still a lot of LE personnel who carry those prejudices when they do their jobs. Where I worked the officers were required to rotate through different detachments and never where they had previously lived. As the saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt.

No matter what Nelson says he can’t justify 9 minutes and 29 seconds! If his expert comes in and says 9 minutes and 29 seconds was justified, s/he will lose all credibility. That’s a hired gun. DC will be convicted. JMO.

overwhelming reasonable doubt established witness after prosecution witness -
It’s insurmountable in my opinion.

N: You're trained...to put the knee into what would be the trapezius area in between the shoulder blades at the base of the neck.
S: Yes the base of the neck.
N: And you are trained on it.

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1379834273071513605?s=21

N: Officers are trained that if CPR is needed to you to remove handcuffs...And to use caution, because the subject may revive agitated and ready to fight.
S: Correct.
N: You've had that training too.
N: You've had that experience...
S: Uh yes.

They're taking a brief moment for the state to review what Nelson is citing in his questioning. You can see the state prosecutors on the left, pool reporters against the wall, and Nelson's assistant on the far right.

EyYojlJWEAIXMaW

The photo they just showed, do we know what the time stamp is from when the paramedic made Chauvin move? Because he would have to rock to his right side with his weight to get up. Jmo

Why do some witnesses address the jury and other ignore them? Which one is correct or does it matter?

Personally, I don't think it matter in the long run. IMO, as witnesses they should be looking at the people who are questioning them. Unless one is a expert witness who may be trying to explain something in layman's terms to the jury I don't see the need. Maybe if the defendant is on the stand and states his/her innocence then definitely they should look at the jury when stating such, since they are the ones to decide their fate. Just my opinion, though.

I used to work for a police force for nearly 30 years. I wasn't a cop but worked in an environment where I had fairly close contact with LE and regularly attended sessions and training exercises with them. Part of the culture when on week long training was to sit around and discuss war stories about their time in the field (most of these guys were now either commissioned officers or higher up uniformed staff). There were lots of funny, funny stories that I enjoyed listening to but sometimes one of the overarching themes in these stories was a perception of a gradual dehumanization of certain segments of society. A lot of these guys I worked with recognized it as burnout and realized it was time to move either forward in their careers or quit. One of them became the Commissioner, the highest rank in Ontario. So I think there is still a lot of LE personnel who carry those prejudices when they do their jobs. Where I worked the officers were required to rotate through different detachments and never where they had previously lived. As the saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt.

Completely agreed! And when you view it from the perspective of the officers (body cam) you are invited to dehumanize GF as well. Given all the public discourse on police brutality etc the public is primed to dehumanize the “subject” in these encounters. It’s disturbing IMO. And then you watch these trials and defense attys and their experts further invite you to dehumanize and you’re constantly struggling to maintain respect and humanity for the subject. The cop is always put up on a pedestal and the subject is disposable in these conversations. JMO.

In Lang's cam, you can see here where DC has to move off the neck so the EMS can check the neck. I believe Nelson is showing pictures of DC's knee after that point. Defense is being deceptive. Also notice the other two cops get off Floyd when they see lights behind them. DC does not.

Nelson is going to show a series of photos entered yesterday.

But first he says, "you would agree that some of the problems...a single photograph isn't going to capture the dynamics of what's happened, right."
S: In some cases, yes.

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1379836485478809607?s=21

Nelson is now asking about specific positions in this photo.

Nelson also went through this exercise yesterday w/ MPD Lt. Johnny Mercil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89