MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #13 - Chauvin Trial Day 10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get em Blackwell!!!!!!!!!!!

Nelson needs to watch himself with these questions.. IMO. I wonder if the jury caught on to the agitation from the prosecutor about the line of questioning by Nelson.

I know some here are impressed with Nelson but IMO he is doing a terrible job.Just rambles on without making a point.

All his moments have not been "impressive", but I am impressed with how well he's been able to handle the case so far, and it is no where near ineffectiveness of counsel IMO

How many prosecutors have we watched do the questioning now? 3-4? So witnesses are broken up between them and they focus on their witnesses. Nelson has to be able to question them all, he is the only attorney on the record.

All JMO

I feel Nelson is a likeable guy and he is doing his job well and has remained attentive and is providing effective council.
Having said that, the amount of documented evidence in this case showing his client as criminally negligent for not following policy by not rendering aid, along with using restraint techniques that are not protocol is an uphill battle that may prove too much to overcome. Blaming an overdose for the death would need evidence to support that claim. So far, nothing supports that claim. So I am not likely to change my opinion by the defence's case.

Hennepin County Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Andrew Baker's expected testimony Friday about the cause of George Floyd's death could pose challenges for both the state and defense if it mirrors the contents of at least a half-dozen meetings he had with prosecutors about his autopsy results leading up to the murder trial of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin.

Documents obtained by the Star Tribune show Baker ruled the death a homicide and said Floyd's May 25 arrest placed added stress on his already ailing heart that increased the likelihood of a "bad outcome." But he also expressed skepticism that placing Floyd stomach-down in the street with three officers on top of him would be "any more dangerous than other positions."

In an unusual move that appeared to underscore a growing gap between the state and Baker, prosecutors sought out several outside medical experts, including a forensic pathologist — Dr. Lindsey Thomas — who duplicates Baker's role at trial as a witness on the cause of death. Two additional out-of-state experts testified Thursday.
Prosecutor, medical examiner talks underscore complexity of Derek Chauvin case

I was until Wednesday, yesterday and today have been disasters from him.
Mainly because they've been undisputable testimonies.

That may yet change when the defense brings in any of their own experts to refute prosecution experts. We don't know how such testimony could water down previous testimony to the point of creating reasonable doubt.

IMO, while it does not seem probable, it is possible.

14m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Court is on lunch break until 1:30 pm CT.
@cathyrusson
·
11m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Nelson cross of Dr. Thomas: this case where you have a 90% stenosis of the right coronary artery, it's limiting oxygen to the heart? Yes. Meth & Adrenaline speed up the heart? Thomas: Yes N: And increases the heart's oxygen needs? T: Yes

5m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Nelson: There's no safe level of methamphetamine right? T: Correct N: low level doesn't exclude the possibility that it could increase the heart rate? T: It could....or not.

44s
#DerekChauvinTrial - Blackwell on redirect: Nelson's hypotheticals - Aren't those questions a lot like asking, Mrs. Lincoln (Thomas chuckles, says yeah) if we take John Wilkes Booth out of this.... objection by defense.

Forgive my naivety here, this is the first case I’ve paid so close attention to this aspect of things, but is it common for so many people to testify to the cause and manner of death? I did a little research before jumping in here late, but it seems like there are some differing opinions from medical professionals. Particularly in the wording. I just assumed the person(s) who performed the autopsy and completed the death certificate would be the only one(s) a jury should put stock in.

I have my opinions and I know everyone else does. I’m not arguing facts, just questioning the standards when it comes to trials. TIA!

ETA: Let me clarify: I understand witnesses can give their opinions (I think), but is the jury given special instruction on that? Or is it just unspoken that they should know and use their judgement. I guess I’m not sure what I’m trying to ask. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karmalicious478