MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #16 - Chauvin Trial Day 13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
1h
#DerekChauvinTrial - Court begins at 8:45 CT/9:45 ET with motions. We expect the defense to argue for a directed verdict (ask judge to dismiss charge or charges) this is pretty standard following the state's case.-in-chief

- BREAKING: Judge Cahill dismisses Morries Hall's subpoena finding Hall has the right not to self-incriminate (5th amendment). He will not be testifying.

Hall.jpg

Hall has a long list of drug charges on his record. George Floyd's girlfriend, Courteney Ross, said she and GF bought drugs from Hall

Hall says he fears criminal charges if he takes the stand.

Also, Judge Cahill denied defense motion to dismiss charges (judgment of acquittal).

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

Paul Blume
@PaulBlume_FOX9
·
28m
COURT IS BACK IN SESSION: Several issues to address. Defense has filed a motion for acquittal after the state's case. Pretty standard stuff here. Judge Cahill likely to reject. Defense atty Eric Nelson arguing now.

Nelson arguing state did not prove the case against #DerekCahuvin beyond a reasonable doubt. Citing use of force threshold not met. Also health, cause of death has not been established again, beyond reasonable doubt. Prosecutors arguing against motion now.

Judge Peter Cahill DENIES motion for acquittal.

State law mandates Judge Cahill make his ruling in light most favorable to state. No surprise prosecutor Steve Schleicher argued state had/will prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt on all 3 counts -- murder-2, murder-3, manslaughter-2. Witness Morries Hall up next at 9am CT

MORRIES HALL: Hall attorney says her client *cannot* answer any questions submitted by the court in #DerekChauvinTrial

Morries Hall attorney Adrienne Cousins tells the court he *cannot* put himself in #GeorgeFloyd SUV or he opens himself up to a drug related murder-3 charge if #DerekChauvin is eventually acquitted.

Attorney.jpg

DEVELOPING: Witness Morries Hall has just invoked his 5th amendment privilege against self-incrimination. Judge Cahill accepted his position & thus Hall will NOT testify in front of the jury. The jury is not in courtroom for this proceeding. Defense to resume its case shortly.

link: https://twitter.com/PaulBlume_FOX9

I wonder how much worse this can get for the defense? I really liked the public defender that spoke on behalf of M. Hall (or Ricardo?). She made a compelling argument for her client not testifying and in fact really spoke like she believed it. I can't say the same for Nelson...just going thru the motions. I am not saying he is a bad lawyer..he is not but he knows he has no chance here for an acquittal.
Yes, Hall is lucky to have such a good attorney. He's in enough trouble with whatever charges he's already facing.

Last edited:
I note that each "expert" that defense is using is "retired". I would expect that given testifying in this case will not enhance their CV. Just my opinion in advance of hearing nothing yet from this guy. Oh I just saw about his pending lawsuit...wonder if state can bring that up? Probably not. Interesting South African background.

Well this witness is really credible considering what he’s been accused of. He’s got a nerve testifying in this case considering his history MOO. I doubt the jury will be able to hear about it either. Which means they will likely take his evidence as honest. Can’t they find anyone who is still in the job? Not retired? Not yet.

Not much tweeting going on - but that's good - I'm making my dinner.... :)

Paul Blume
@PaulBlume_FOX9
·
21m
DEFENSE NEXT WITNESS: Dr. David R. Fowler, a defense medical expert being sworn in now.

Here's a little background reading on Dr. Fowler, a retired forensic pathologist. According to this reporting, Dr. Fowler ran into some controversy during his time as a Maryland medical examiner.

Judge & Fowler.jpg

link: https://twitter.com/PaulBlume_FOX9

Well this witness is really credible considering what he’s been accused of. He’s got a nerve testifying in this case considering his history MOO. I doubt the jury will be able to hear about it either. Which means they will likely take his evidence as honest. Can’t they find anyone who is still in the job? Not retired? Not yet.

hmmm I'm not sure that any "currently employed" ME's would be allowed to testify in a unrelated to their job case, out of state, etc.

ME's work for the States as far as I know, unlike doctors who are more free to do outside things, like we saw with the Cardiologist.

Dr. David Fowler, the chief medical examiner of Maryland for nearly two decades called as a defense witness in the trial of Derek Chauvin, is being sued for wrongful death and civil rights violations by the family of Anton Black, a 19-year-old Black teenager who died in police custody.

Chauvin Defense Witness Faces Lawsuit of His Own Over Death of Black Teenager in Police Custody

very interesting - from your linked article

The determination in Black’s case was part of a broader pattern of the medical examiner’s office relying on police narratives in cases involving deaths in custody, the complaint on behalf of the Black family argues. Between 2013 and 2019, 30 percent of deaths involving a law enforcement officer reviewed by Maryland’s Office of the Chief Medical Examiner were classified as “accidents,” “undetermined,” or due to “natural causes,” according to data released by the state.

hmmm I'm not sure that any "currently employed" ME's would be allowed to testify in a unrelated to their job case, out of state, etc.

ME's work for the States as far as I know, unlike doctors who are more free to do outside things, like we saw with the Cardiologist.

Sorry I don’t just mean the ME I mean the defence witnesses in general, all of them have retired from the profession so far. This guy seems to have a history of sweeping LE officer involved deaths under the carpet IMO, which gives doubt to the whole of his testimony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmpathicWitch