GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all of DC's assets went to his ex:

The Star Tribune reported at the time that they also planned to split debts and money in their bank accounts. Kellie Chauvin would have received roughly $703,718 in the settlement and Derek Chauvin would have received $420,768.
Judge approves divorce for ex-cop charged in Floyd's death

Derek Chauvin’s ex-wife Kellie Chauvin receives $704,000 from divorce settlement
I asked this question because I was amazed he couldnt afford to pay for his lawyer! I mean - he had 2 jobs ( police and bar security), 2 houses etc. Oh, and he saved also some while cheating on taxes, right?

Last edited:
Derek Chauvin's own bodycam video, along with testimony about asphyxiation, were crucial in convicting the fired Minneapolis police officer of murdering George Floyd, the second juror to speak out in the historic case said Thursday.

Journee Howard, known until now only as Juror No. 9, said, "there was a multitude of things" that played into the prosecution meeting the legal standard that she and the other jurors needed to agree beyond a reasonable doubt that Chauvin was guilty of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.
2nd Derek Chauvin juror who deliberated comes forward, breaks down what worked for prosecution and what didn't for defense in George Floyd murder case

Pulitzer Prizes award special citation to Darnella Frazier, the teenager who recorded the killing of George Floyd

WWW.Pulitzer.ORG

Special Awards and Citations
Darnella Frazier
For courageously recording the murder of George Floyd, a video that spurred protests against police brutality around the world, highlighting the crucial role of citizens in journalists' quest for truth and justice.

Was just looking up what $$ is given for such. $15k for the Pulitzers... not sure with a "special award"

I could have never stood there and filmed... may she go far in life.

I am so thrilled the Pulitzer Prize Board recognized Darnella Frazer with this special award. Below is another link with photo of Darnella.

" The Pulitzer Prize Board started its annual announcements for outstanding journalism Friday by issuing a special citation to Darnella Frazier, the Minneapolis teenager whose viral video of George Floyd's arrest and death played a key role in the officer's prosecution and shook the nation's consciousness about policing in the United States.
Frazier was 17 years old when on May 25, 2020, she happened upon Floyd's arrest at 38th and Chicago, took out her cellphone and documented for more than 9 minutes Floyd's death under the knee of fired police officer Derek Chauvin...."(more on link)

Pulitzer Board awards special citation to Darnella Frazier, who shot viral video of George Floyd's death

Haven't been in here in a while but I know sentencing is coming up...

@Chelly I'm with ya! The sentencing is going to be light - this is often the case with these cop cases. Judges are sympathetic and if it's up to their discretion, it is usually light. In this case, given the political/social pressure, the judge will have to give him more than 10 years but it won't be anywhere near what the state is asking for. I almost don't want to watch the sentencing and just get the #of years once it's over.

@Chelly I'm with ya! The sentencing is going to be light - this is often the case with these cop cases. Judges are sympathetic and if it's up to their discretion, it is usually light. In this case, given the political/social pressure, the judge will have to give him more than 10 years but it won't be anywhere near what the state is asking for. I almost don't want to watch the sentencing and just get the #of years once it's over.
They are either held to a higher standard, or they are not.
He also abused his position, his badge and his entire profession.
He should get at least 30 years and the world is watching.
No remorse, not even a tear.
He would do it all again, I imagine.
It was not his first time abusing his badge and the general public.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if more victims emerge.

I’m not at all impressed with this Pulitzer Prize business. It’s almost a mockery of the entire premise in my opinion.

I think he deserves probation. I know, not the popular opinion. But mine none the less.

On one hand, we read about cops getting a break at sentencing. On the other the Pulitzer awards certificate to Darnella Fraser. If that doesn't say something about what is going on I am not sure what does. No one should be above the law. No one should have to witness a brutal murder and not be believed unless they videoed the event or not be believed even when they videoed the event. Time to change our equations. JMHO.

I do appreciate the nod that Pulitzer gave her a special citation (special recognition) re filming George Floyd.

A nod to what she viewed and filmed, a nod to recognition of those outside of the field of journalism, a nod to her bravery where she filmed without hardly any commentary to see the RAW reality, a nod to non-journalists who capture for true journalists to utilize, a nod that folks have to watch a murder and cannot act within the law, a nod that it changed and had impact worldwide, etc etc etc.

They don't give the citations out every year, but MOO, well deserved as to the international impact that her video had.

MOO

Some had been calling for them to give an actual Pulitzer award, yet agreed with that it fell outside of the boundaries of the prize. The board agreed that indeed, did not qualify for an actual "journalism" Pulitzer so therefore... this citation (NOT a Pulitzer Prize that the organization is most known for handing out) for the George Floyd murder filming.

MOO

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2021/06/11/darnella-frazier-pulitzer-george-floyd-witness/

Last edited:

Happy to read your input @Weki . We are of the same thinking. I bet he'll be paroled in 6 to 7 years. My opinion.

They are either held to a higher standard, or they are not.
He also abused his position, his badge and his entire profession.
He should get at least 30 years and the world is watching.
No remorse, not even a tear.
He would do it all again, I imagine.
It was not his first time abusing his badge and the general public.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if more victims emerge.
Agree. However, what Chauvin should get and will get are horses of a different color....in the opinions of many.

Chauvin will be safer behind bars than on the outside. On the outside, someone who believes they have nothing to lose will kill him.

He doesn't deserve it, but he'll be protected from the gp for the duration of his sentence.

Derek Chauvin sentencing thrusts Minnesota Judge Peter Cahill back into spotlight (nbcnews.com)

Judge Peter Cahill, who has served on the bench in Hennepin County for 14 years, could sentence Derek Chauvin to as little as probation or more than 30 years in the murder of George Floyd.

A Minnesota judge who, former colleagues and friends say, has no penchant for publicity will again find himself in the media spotlight this week when he sentences the former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murder in the death of George Floyd.

Judge Peter Cahill, who has served on the bench in Hennepin County for 14 years, could sentence Derek Chauvin to as little as probation, an outcome requested by his attorney, or more than the 30-year punishment favored by prosecutors.

In interviews, people who know Cahill and cases he has overseen say he is likely to land somewhere in the middle. They said he is a fair judge, though there is no guarantee he will mete out a punishment that will make either side entirely happy...

Derek Chauvin sentencing thrusts Minnesota Judge Peter Cahill back into spotlight (nbcnews.com)

Judge Peter Cahill, who has served on the bench in Hennepin County for 14 years, could sentence Derek Chauvin to as little as probation or more than 30 years in the murder of George Floyd.

A Minnesota judge who, former colleagues and friends say, has no penchant for publicity will again find himself in the media spotlight this week when he sentences the former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murder in the death of George Floyd.

Judge Peter Cahill, who has served on the bench in Hennepin County for 14 years, could sentence Derek Chauvin to as little as probation, an outcome requested by his attorney, or more than the 30-year punishment favored by prosecutors.

In interviews, people who know Cahill and cases he has overseen say he is likely to land somewhere in the middle. They said he is a fair judge, though there is no guarantee he will mete out a punishment that will make either side entirely happy...
Thanks @BetteDavisEyes . As I predicted a couple pages upthread, I think Cahill will sentence DC to 15 years, give or take a few. And, Chauvin will likely be released in half that time. My opinion. Any other predictions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth