GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He will be out in 15 years if he behaves and there are no issues. 22.5 means you serve 2/3 in MN. The last portion would be supervised release for the 7.5 years. This is MN law.

...and, if he isn't killed or doesn't kill himself in prison.

On another note, Al Sharpton needs to shut up. He does more harm than good.

I respect Judge Cahill’s decision - I couldn’t begin to imagine trying to find a delicate balance of justice for one family and against this defendant while also realizing this is exactly a much, much larger issue (like both sides mentioned today). And recognizing that, acknowledging that, but going back to the legal premise and basis for his decision must’ve been so tough. And knowing the world is watching it all in real-time, and how this decision may very well set a new precedent going forward for other cases like this, and how his decision will forever be a part of that. I appreciate how he tried his best to express that everyone should look to his written order for all the details, the thinking behind his choice(s) with this sentence.

I truly hope this is a good step forward for our country, for accountability of rogue police, for justice for families for those lives seriously hurt or ended because of actions by the police, and hopefully starting to heal a great divide between the public and the police.

https://twitter.com/ChaoStrib/status/1408421226423455758
https://twitter.com/ChaoStrib/status/1408529486245773322
In the courtroom today Floyd had 7 supporters/family/attorneys & 1 victim advocate. Chauvin had 5: his mom, a man with mom, and his ex wife and her two adult children.
https://twitter.com/ChaoStrib/status/1408530110945402880
Chauvin listend intently 2 every1 but did not react to victim impact statements or tears frm George's bros Terrence & Philonise. But when his mom spoke he glanced down at his table a few times, including right b4 she spoke. It was a marked difference.

While his mom spoke Chauvin's ex-wife, named Kellie Chauvin but changing it, looked intently on as if on the verge of tears. Chauvin did not react when his mom said his birth was her best gift.

I hope federal sentence will be higher! And wait - dont forget tax evasion trial. Mr EN will be a busy lawyer.

Provided he is sentenced consecutively. I don't know what the chance is any future prison time he faces wouldn't be served concurrently. Maybe someone with more knowledge can comment on the likelihood of concurrent versus conservative sentences for Chauvin.

Provided he is sentenced consecutively. I don't know what the chance is any future prison time he faces wouldn't be served concurrently. Maybe someone with more knowledge can comment on the likelihood of concurrent versus conservative sentences for Chauvin.
But if a federal sentence is higher he will stay longer in prison, right? Tax evasion might run concurrently.

I find the sentence fair. What is bothering me is the Floyd familys complaints about how long the trial took. All of this, all the experts, complete in under a year. We know time wise, under a year is almost unheard of.

So, essentially, the judge sentenced on the low side of double departure - the lowest double departure sentence being 21 years.

Barring additional time for federal charges, Chauvin will be out when he is 60 years old. (If he serves 15 years)

Thanks to all for the running commentary. It was good to get up this morning and hear how it went all the way through the sentencing hearing.

Last edited:
So, essentially, the judge sentenced on the low side of double departure - the lowest double departure sentence being 21 years.

Barring additional time for federal charges, Chauvin will be out when he is 60 years old.

Thanks to all for the running commentary. It was good to get up this morning and hear how it went all the way through the sentencing hearing.
He actually gave him 10 years more than the mid-range!
https://twitter.com/MaryMoriarty/status/1408522052269756416?s=20

He actually gave him 10 years more than the mid-range!
https://twitter.com/MaryMoriarty/status/1408522052269756416?s=20

What I mean is ......

I posted yesterday how (according to a law professor) the judge could comfortably sentence using 'double departure'. Due to the 4 additional sentencing considerations.

Double departure meaning double the presumptive sentence - and the presumptive sentence was 10½ years to 15 years ... going by precedence.

Chauvin's sentence is on the low side of double departure.

Last edited:
I find the sentence fair. What is bothering me is the Floyd familys complaints about how long the trial took. All of this, all the experts, complete in under a year. We know time wise, under a year is almost unheard of.
How many families get to watch their brother dying in excruciating pain over and over and over again, day after day from every angle possible, each angle presenting more agony for them and then their personal angst, reliving it, their mental, emotional and psychic torture, the lack of sleep, the public face of it all... it's only now they can maybe begin to gain catharsis but they will have to relive it again when the others go on trial... over and over and over again, whether it took a month or a year or even 10 years its a mega dise of PTSD.. I think that is what they meant... torture, sheer torture... and all the abuse they suffered as his character , integrity and reputation were destroyed to the extent that he was almost dehumanised.
All of that on top of the normal grieving we all know, they what if's, if only's and regrets, devastation upon devastation.
JMO

What I mean is ......

I posted yesterday how (according to a law professor) the judge could comfortably sentence using 'double departure'. Due to the 4 additional sentencing considerations.

Double departure meaning double the presumptive sentence - and the presumptive sentence was 10½ years to 15 years ... going by precedence.

Chauvin's sentence is on the low side of double departure.
Gotcha! Sorry, I misunderstood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member