MN - George Floyd, 46, unarmed, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 *arrests* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if GF was “stuffing counterfeit bills down his seat before he showed his hands” and even if he had “swallowed drugs” that does not justified what they did to him.
Nothing can justify what was done to GF, so it might serve the attorneys for the defendants well to stop trying to sully his reputation.

well - shizzle....

Prosecutors want no audio-visual coverage of cops' trials

July 27, 2020
Prosecutors in the cases against four former Minneapolis police officers charged in the death of George Floyd said Monday that they do not want audio or visual coverage of the trials, but they did not provide a reason.
[.....]
Under Minnesota court rules, a judge can allow the recording and reproduction of criminal proceedings if both sides consent. Judge Peter Cahill has yet to rule on the matter, but the state's position makes it unlikely that he will allow cameras at trial.

Last month, Cahill ruled that cameras would not be allowed during pretrial proceedings, after prosecutors objected. At the time, Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison said allowing cameras in the courtroom "will create more problems than it would solve," by altering the way lawyers present evidence and possibly intimidating witnesses.
[.....]
Defense attorneys have said they would be open to audio and visual coverage of the trials, saying the recordings are necessary to guarantee the officers get a fair trial — especially during a pandemic when public access to the courtroom is restricted

Don't know if you all want me to keep track of this charge?

Chauvin only - Tax Evasion charge:

OTHER EVENTS AND HEARINGS
07/22/2020 Case Filed
07/22/2020 E-filed Comp-Summons Index # 1
07/22/2020 Pandemic Event
07/22/2020 Notice of Evidence and Identification Procedures Index # 2
07/22/2020 Prosecutions Recommendation for Bail Index # 3
07/22/2020 Notice of Motion and Motion Index # 4
07/22/2020 Proposed Order or Document Index # 5
07/22/2020 Notice of Case Assignment Index # 6

07/23/2020 Notice-Other Index # 7
07/23/2020 Order for Booking Index # 8 (Judicial Officer: Hawley, Sheridan )

07/28/2020 Certificate of Representation Index # 9
07/28/2020 Request for Disclosure Index # 10
07/28/2020 Notice of Remote Hearing with Instructions Index # 11

09/08/2020 First Appearance (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Hawley, Sheridan)

link: http://pa.courts.state.mn.us/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=1628217692

I live in Canada and when I used to working retail, we just told them sorry this is counterfeit and give them back. But this was a corporation.

Maybe that would have happened here as well but transcripts of the 911 call show that wasn't possible.

"Caller: Um someone comes our store and give us fake bills and we realize it before he left the store, and we ran back outside, they was sitting on their car. We tell them to give us their phone, put their (inaudible) thing back and everything and he was also drunk and everything and return to give us our cigarettes back and so he can, so he can go home but he doesn't want to do that, and he's sitting on his car cause he is awfully drunk and he's not in control of himself."

I get the impression that had he returned the cigarettes for the fake $20, they wouldn't have called the cops either. Also officers had to respond cause he had a car but was so drunk he wasn't in control of himself.

Last edited:
Hi all, just wanted to see others opinions. I saw the body cam video and I feel that might be a case of manslaughter for Chauvin rather than second degree. Heck it may even be not guilty

Also is it customary to call the cops on getting fake bills and just rejecting it. Assuming its like a 20 dollar bill etc.

I can see maybe 3rd degree Murder.

"Third-degree murder in Minnesota involves killing another person without premeditation and intent, through inherently dangerous acts, and with no regard for human life. “Inherently dangerous acts” may be direct or indirect. The charge of third-degree murder encompasses unintentional murders, “depraved mind” murders and certain drug-related deaths, including drug-induced"

Minneapolis Manslaughter Defense Attorney | Third Degree Murder

They weren't detaining him for the $20 by itself. He was obviously under the influence of something and when they got there behind the wheel of a car. Surely no one thinks they should have just let him go on his merry way.

I can see maybe 3rd degree Murder.

"Third-degree murder in Minnesota involves killing another person without premeditation and intent, through inherently dangerous acts, and with no regard for human life. “Inherently dangerous acts” may be direct or indirect. The charge of third-degree murder encompasses unintentional murders, “depraved mind” murders and certain drug-related deaths, including drug-induced"

Minneapolis Manslaughter Defense Attorney | Third Degree Murder

They weren't detaining him for the $20 by itself. He was obviously under the influence of something and when they got there behind the wheel of a car. Surely no one thinks they should have just let him go on his merry way.

I agree. GF was impaired when police approached him and I think the $20 became a moot point quickly. GF was in the driver's seat of his car and if he had driven off, innocent people would have been in danger of injury or death. GF wasn't being cooperative from the start when they told him to get out of his car. GF was not being violent, but he was not being cooperative. He was begging and pleading, and police could not get him to stay in the backseat of the police car. My thoughts are that begging and pleading rarely works for anyone who is being arrested. Police are trained to complete the arrest.

It's a very tragic situation, but for me, the new bodycam video provides more perspective. In my city, police knee restraints to the neck were outlawed after this incident. I'm very glad for that. It is a very aggressive restraint technique and if someone's breathing is compromised due to health problems, and/or drugs, there is a risk that it can end in disaster.

All JMO.

I live in Colorado, and I personally know someone arrested for passing a counterfeit $20 bill. Turned out it was part of a larger counterfeit operation run by meth addicts. So I guess it depends on the store if they call. They tend to use smaller bills as they are less likely to be checked.Much harder to pass a $100 bill.

Please continue discussion at Thread #3.

This thread is now closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads