Identified! MN - Isanti, WhtMale 20-28, UP8832, watch, blanket material, Aug'03 - Donald Rindahl

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does anyone happen to know if Ronnie Bromenschenkel has been looked at? He was 5"10 and 26 years old. Last seen in Saint Cloud which directly up HWY 95 from Isanti County. To me (uneducated in forensics) they have some similarities, possibly the same tooth gaps which is what really caught my eye. Ive read through this thread and have seen people suggest tips get submitted. I would do that, but I'm unsure where/how to submit. Im incredibly new to the site, I've just been trying to find a way to suggest Ronnie be ruled out after seeing the composite of Isanti County John Doe and Ronnie side by side.

20200829_055541-jpg.261844

Last edited:
Does anyone happen to know if Ronnie Bromenschenkel has been looked at? He was 5"10 and 26 years old. Last seen in Saint Cloud which directly up HWY 95 from Isanti County. To me (uneducated in forensics) they have some similarities, possibly the same tooth gaps which is what really caught my eye. Ive read through this thread and have seen people suggest tips get submitted. I would do that, but I'm unsure where/how to submit. Im incredibly new to the site, I've just been trying to find a way to suggest Ronnie be ruled out after seeing the composite of Isanti County John Doe and Ronnie side by side.

He should be a rule out.

The Charley Project lists his height as 6’4” which is quite different than the UID. But the Doe Network lists 5’8”-6’4”. Then NamUs has 5’10”. :confused:

upload_2021-4-14_20-1-19.jpeg upload_2021-4-14_20-1-33.jpeg

I’m not to sure about this one.

The Isanti County Sheriff’s Office is hosting a press conference to share information on the progress made in the investigation of a 2003 cold case.

Additionally, the Isanti County Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s help with information surrounding this case.

Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 (TOMORROW)

Time: 10:00 am

(Board Room)

The Isanti County Sheriff’s Office is hosting a press conference to share information on the progress made in the investigation of a 2003 cold case.

Additionally, the Isanti County Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s help with information surrounding this case.

Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 (TOMORROW)

Time: 10:00 am

(Board Room)
I wonder if this is an Othram case being solved.

ETA
IDENTIFIED!
Isanti County John Doe (2003) is Now Identified

Authorities ID remains unearthed in Isanti County in 2003 as man missing since early '70s

''Authorities said Wednesday they have positively identified the remains of a man that were unearthed in 2003 on property in Isanti County.

Donald Rindahl, 22, from Ramsey County, was buried on that land in Bradford Township in late 1970 to early 1971, the Isanti County Sheriff's Office announced, thanks to meticulous DNA analysis.

Still left to be solved: What led to Rindahl's death and who, if anyone, is responsible.

"Based off of ... information from the family, as well as the scene in 2003, it is believed that Donald was a victim of homicide, but his death has been classified as undetermined," a statement from the Sheriff's Office read.

"It is further believed," the statement continued, "that there may still be people alive today who know what happened to Donald in 1970."

Last edited:
Excellent. I created his page on Unidentied Wiki. I was quickly drawn to his case after discovering him on Doe Network. He had one of those old-school reconstructions that have an unsettling look to them. Even though he was discovered in 2003, he was clearly much older and I was worried his name would be lost to time.

Excellent. I created his page on Unidentied Wiki. I was quickly drawn to his case after discovering him on Doe Network. He had one of those old-school reconstructions that have an unsettling look to them. Even though he was discovered in 2003, he was clearly much older and I was worried his name would be lost to time.

I wanted to ask what was the purpose of a reconstruction that looked so totally unlike a human being? It did showcase his missing tooth, but besides that....?

upload_2022-1-20_19-19-45.jpeg
Rindahl told the family in the summer of 1970 that he was leaving for California. Whether he made it there and came back or was killed before he left the state is unknown. His remains were discovered in August 2003, but went unidentified until this month.

“There’s a lot of speculation and rumor that went around his disappearance that the family had heard, but nothing was ever substantiated,” Lovering said. “They were told he went to California and we don’t even know if he went to California. We have no idea if that’s where he went or not.”

The family member also said that the Federal Bureau of Investigation had been looking for Rindahl in connection with a drugs matter. Lovering revealed at the press conference that Rindahl had never been reported missing, so the FBI had no missing person’s file on Rindahl. However, she added that adults were not often reported missing in the 1970s.

Capt. John Elder, spokesman with the Isanti Sheriff’s Department, said that since last week’s revelation, tips have been coming in, and one of those tips spoke to the fact that, in the early 1970s, it wasn’t uncommon for people to “disappear”.

“I was talking to this tipster, and he said ‘You know we didn’t really give it a lot of thought,’” Elder said. “This was the Vietnam Era, and some people got drafted and went away and never came back.”

Elder added that this was a time when people didn’t always have a lot of ties to other people and things. “People would be more drifting than we’re used to nowadays.”
Isanti Co. Sheriff’s Department looks to public to help solve Rindahl case

Isanti County Chief Deputy Lisa Lovering reported in a press conference on Jan. 12 that remains found in Bradford Township in August 2003 had been positively identified in December 2021 as Rindahl using investigative genetic genealogy consultant Barbara Rae-Venter and a lab in Texas called Othram.

In 2019, Lovering started the process of using current DNA technology to try to identify the remains. Based off of the information from the family, as well as the scene in 2003, it is believed Rindahl was a victim of homicide, but his death has been classified as undetermined. From the timeline of Rindahl’s disappearance and the crime scene, it is believed he was buried in Isanti County in late 1970 to early 1971 at the age of 22. Lovering said the family was told the FBI had been looking for Rindahl prior to his disappearance due to some involvement with drugs.

It was a random phone call that someone was calling about their brother that they hadn’t seen in 51 years. So there was a lot of shock and disbelief at first, and I think once I got the DNA match, it set in a little more,” Lovering said. “There’s a lot of unanswered questions for them. We don’t know what happened. We don’t know where he was and we don’t know who was involved. So I think there’s still a lot of confusion going on in the family right now.”

Rindahl’s remains were found during an excavation project by a land owner in 2003. At the time, it was believed the body was that of a Caucasian male, 20-28 years old and had been buried for three to 28 years. The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension obtained a DNA profile as well as the dental records, which were entered into missing person databases. A facial reconstruction was also done.

“I wasn’t the original investigator on this case; I helped with it back then. But I kept it on my desk because I always tried to figure out will we figure out who this person is,” Lovering said. “And then I knew of newer technology that was coming out, so I was hoping it would be a match. And then when I got that phone call, there literally was an email that said here’s the name. I was in shock. I couldn’t believe that we had a person of who it was and then to call the family, I didn’t even think they’d call me back because I wasn’t sure. It was a random name. And then when they called me back and told me he had been missing, then I was in disbelief as well. But I was comforted to know that we know who he was.”
Tips from community needed in Rindahl investigation

Bumping, today is Donald’s birthday. The 20th anniversary of his discovery passed recently.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikeymelton
Back