MN MN - Jackie Theel, 6, Paynesville, 5 Sept 1944

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The teacher would have been a teacher in the Paynesville School District for a number of years, and recognized the family resemblance - not necessarily that it was Jackie. This boy had several brothers. In one article, the quote was she saw someone who looked like a "Theel boy." Not only did Jackie have several brothers who could all be similar in appearance, there was a large extended family in the area. We all know how strong family resemblance can be, especially if from a small, rural community. In my small town, I could look at my daughter's classmates and know which of my classmates were the parents.
I get what you're saying but do you really think you could pick out one of your children's friends over a decade later and not in your small hometown but in a city teeming with people? Perhaps you could, I don't know, but I don't much so much faith in family resemblance being a positive identifier.
Seeing someone who looked like a Theel boy, and seeing THE Theel boy are very different things. Potentially thousands of people could look like a Theel boy.
No, I'm more convinced than ever that this teacher maybe wanted to see Jackie, but didn't.
I don't personally believe he ever left town.

There could be quite a number of different scenarios which would explain Jackie's seemingly permanent disappearance.

It is highly doubtful that a little 6 year old boy would intentionally "run away" with the intent of beginning a new life, never contacting his family or friends again.

It might be a possibility that he met with an accident, such as falling down an open well or drain, but in such a situation, he would have been found long ago.

Placing one's self in Jackie's shoes that lunch hour, he would have wanted to get home to eat (since he hadn't had much breakfast) and to tell his mother about his new school and teacher. His only problem initially was being on his own and disoriented as to where home was. His mother had anticipated or understood this and had appointed an older brother to walk him home - even writing a note to his teacher about it.

The one thing that stands out in my mind is the train which arrived during the lunch hour, probably announcing itself with its whistle - a sound Jackie knew well since his house was very close to the rail road track and the station. Hearing the train whistle would have been a major clue to him as to what direction his home was.

If he had first headed West by mistake, he wouldn't have gone far until he reached the highway - probably something he knew he was not to cross. Hearing the train, he would have headed north along the side of the highway in the general direction of the creamery, the train tracks, and home. I believe that this was supported by people who claimed to have seen him near the highway. He might have been abducted by someone driving past, or he may have been abducted by someone in the vicinity of the train tracks.

Paynesville Minnesota Gallery

Paynesville Minnesota Gallery

Below is a link to the Minnesota Missing Persons Clearinghouse website. It is an official website showing photos of persons listed as missing and cases under investigation by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) or state police.

Jackie's case is NOT listed on that site. This September 5 will mark 80 years since Jackie disappeared while walking home from his first day of school to eat lunch.

LINKS:

Last edited:
All of your questions are good ones. Because of the long time interval, unfortunately most of these "clues" or reported sightings have become legends associated with the story. Like second hand or third hand information repeated so often that they become intermixed with the actual facts of the case.
Looking at the map and reading the story, my gut feeling is that Jackie started out in the wrong direction, moving west instead of north. After walking for four to six blocks in the wrong direction, and seeing nothing familiar, he came to the highway - which he probably had been told not to cross. And at this point; hungry, confused, and frightened - one of two possible scenarios occurred.
First, someone in a passing car may have indeed picked him up - more likely between 1 and 2PM. Had the car been traveling generally NORTH on Hwy 23 (the side Jackie was probably on), then that car would have proceeded down "main street" and past Jackie's house on the way through town. This would have been a big risk by a would be kidnapper.
Secondly, Jackie might have realized his navigational error when reaching the Highway, and then turned north toward the Creamery. Certainly he would have known his way home from there. But perhaps he was seen by someone there and taken toward the river, and then to a train car? Knowing what the train schedule was for September 1944 might provide valuable clues. Jackie could have been thrown from the train somewhere between Paynesville and the next stop on the line, or might have been taken to a camp of migrant workers.
The problem here is with the sequence of clues. Most likely the reports of sightings of Jackie by the Highway at 1PM and 4:45PM came first, and police focussed on them in tracking down the men in the gray car.
As is so often the case, the scenting dogs were not called in until a few days later, and AFTER rainy, cold weather had set in. The dogs did not track Jackie all the way from the school, as implied by the story, but rather PICKED UP his scent by the Creamery and tracked him moving West toward the River rhere the scent ended (but note that the railroad was also right there).
Scenting/Tracking dogs are absolutely unbelievable in their abilities. A well trained dog knows immediately upon discovering the scent which direction to move - even days after the track has been laid. They would have ignored the "back track" (that is where Jackie had been) and gone in the direction that he moved. Some dogs can be trained to back track, but this would be an exception because their instinct tells them to go forward.
It should be asked also if Jackie had been near that side of the Creamery or near the river at any time in the days prior to his disappearance. That might have tended to rule out the dog scent evidence if he had been there in recent days before he went missing.
The way that the map is numbered, would indicate that Jackie passed within a block of his house, then went to the river and then proceeded down the highway. That does not make much sense. I feel that it was more likely the other way around and that the 4:45 sighting was a case of mistaken memory, mistaken identity, or simply not true. Again, perhaps locating either or both of the boys who reported this might yield a different story today.
Concerning people with learning disabilities serving in the Navy or other branches of the service... The story did not indicate that Jackie was in any way severely retarded, only that he might have been "a little slow". There are many men and women serving in our armed forces today and in the past who have various learning disabilities. I do not mean at all any disrespect by that, only that it might be quite possible for Jackie to have served in the Navy if he had passed the entrance exams with acceptable scores.
I have no idea who the teacher in question was or why he or she did not ask the obvious questions. I wonder if it might be just more of the legends generated by the mystery of the story. With some specifics as to where the home port was, or what the name of the ship was, the Naval Historical Center at the Washington (DC) Navy Yard, or the National Archives at Suitland, MD, or the National Personnel Records Center at St. Louis, MO might be able to confirm the existence of a sailor named Jackie Theel in 1960.
It would certainly be good literary writing to have this lost little boy dressed in a sailor suit, later become a world traveled sailor. By the way, sailors were often referred to in olden days as "Jack Tars" or simply as "Jackies". In the early 20th Century, boys bands were often outfitted in sailor suits and referred to as "Jackie Bands". And even today, the sailor uniform with bell bottom, button fly trousers, jumper top, and square knot tie are referred to as "Cracker Jacks".
Wow! I just wanted to say thank you so much for all that information—i learned so much by all that you have written—really, thank you :) youve definitely answered alot of questions for me that i just was not aware of—in general & also as far as this particular case of little missing Jackie goes. I have nothing to add to Jackie’s case, but i surely hope one day we will all get the answers that little Jackie & his family so deserve to have.

Soo Line #1003 | Steam Locomotive Heritage Association

SOO 6023 Soo Line EMD SD60 at Saint Paul, MN, Minnesota by John Fladung ...

The "Soo" railroad line which ran through Paynesville in September 1944 was actually the Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Sault Saint Marie railroad. It was mostly an ore and freight type of railroad.

Jackie's house and the Creamery where dogs tracked his scent were located adjacent to the railroad line, which bordered Paynesville to the north. Could that railroad, or persons associated in some way with it have played a part in Jackie's disappearance?

Here are some links to the railroad's history:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back