MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa. Mask or blacked out face in every instance - same general build; deep low voice -- key question -- did he ask any of the kids if they recognized him or threaten to come after them if they figured out his identity? So these assaults occurred in 1986 -87, then we have Jared in Jan '89 and Jacob in Oct 89. What about 1988 -- did the Paynesville perp suddenly decide to cease and desist? Where did he go? If the cases are related, what might have happened in 1988 (apparently no assaults reported). Was someone catching on perhaps that perp was up to no good?

Was there one perp in Paynesville in 86/87, another in Cold Spring Jan 89 and then another in St. Joseph in Oct 89? Wow. And I thought St. John's was ground zero for sexual assaults on young men. Whether it was one, two or three different perps -- one or all are local in my opinion. He/they lived in the vicinity and knew the lay of the land. It would be interesting to put all the victims in a room and play different voices. I think there are some voices a person can never forget.

Jacob's abductor was described as being about Merle's height - which was 5'10". I'm not sure that's considered "shorter" - depends on how tall you are, I guess.

Do you think Merle might have been the Paynesville perp?

No, absolutely not. I was just repeating what Trevor said in the 911 call. He said the guy was similar to Merle's build. I looked it up, Merle was 5'-10", 195 lbs.

Jacob's abductor was described as being about Merle's height - which was 5'10". I'm not sure that's considered "shorter" - depends on how tall you are, I guess.

I think that 5'10" would be about the cusp, so-to-speak. I think it's changed some over the years; maybe 40 yrs ago, 5'l0" would be considered as 'average' height, but, I think now that 5'11", 6', 6'1" would be more likely average. People have actually grown. I think that 5'8/9" would be reasonably considered shorter, and 5'10 could be.

When I look at those sketches for Jared's suspect, all three resemble many middle aged/older men. But the one with the baseball cap has a striking resemblance to earlier unnamed suspect.

The timbre of perp's voice, along with mask/disguised face, stocky build, aggressive, threatening in Jared and Jacob's case (don't know about Paynesville suspect was threatening) -- mostly younger males -- 11, 12, 13 and some older males = two different perps?

When I look at those sketches for Jared's suspect, all three resemble many middle aged/older men. But the one with the baseball cap has a striking resemblance to earlier unnamed suspect.

The timbre of perp's voice, along with mask/disguised face, stocky build, aggressive, threatening in Jared and Jacob's case (don't know about Paynesville suspect was threatening) -- mostly younger males -- 11, 12, 13 and some older males = two different perps?

With Victim 1, perp told him to be quiet or he would kill him. Victim 2 was told almost verbatim what Jared & Aaron/Trevor heard. After attack on victim 2, he was told to run & not look back or perp would blow his head off.

IMO, same perp for all.

Sounds like it could have been his "territory" for stalking and capturing his prey. He probably had a job and activities that took him through that area in a certain radius. That's where he made his observations and knew where kids would be at certain times of the day -- he might have had an understanding of when they were more likely to be alone and/or followed them to learn their patterns. Wonder how many of them might have played hockey ...

As it's getting closer to when ELOC's book will be available, I was wondering if you'll be doing any book signings, any further interviews, locally and/or national television (Today Show, GMA), and which local papers might feature your book? If it will be listed on Amazon, we can write reviews to widen publicity. I personally feel that this book, more than anything else in recent memory, has the potential to stir up people's memories and hopefully encourage them to send in tips. ELOC, in your personal opinion, do you think it would be more productive to have tips sent to you or to LE? I'm wondering if you opened a temporary P.O. Box to receive tips, both anonymous and signed, whether some leads might be generated. The perpetrator was and is someone's son, neighbor, possibly husband, father, coach, teacher, acquaintance, friend, significant other. Many of us are of the mind he was/is local, given his knowledge of back roads in the area as well as his boldness. I think he has a compulsive desire for sex with teens, which he might now fulfill by working closely with them in some capacity.

So I think he's still out there, still in the mix, and I have this feeling there are people, perhaps even out of the local area, who may have information about him. What they may not know, however, is his background and any suspicions associated with him. Which is why it's very important that this books has a wide distribution. There may well be people in other locales who have interacted with this man and are oblivious to his history but are creeped out or intimidated by him. The perp may have even tried some inappropriate things but his acquaintances/victims have remained silent, choosing to forget about it. Here's my message to the perp, the net is closing in, it's been twenty five years, you've had your freedom while the Wetterlings and others have lived a nightmare. You destroyed Jacob's life. Regardless of whether you don't have a conscience like normal people do, even psychopaths are willing to bargain sometimes. This book is going to get a lot of people thinking ... wouldn't it be better to come forward now before someone finally gets the courage to step forward? Just a thought.

“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the note. At the present time I don't have any plans for doing book signings, etc - we'll just see where the road goes.

There is a low-key event in Stearns County next week, and interest seems to be growing locally. I was on vacation last week and came home to a couple of requests for radio interviews, one of which aired yesterday on WJON. The other will be more in depth and airing probably next week or soon after. Today I got word that there was a mention about the book on a Willmar radio station.

I'll probably do a local (west central Wisconsin) book festival in the fall of this year. The book will be available on Amazon.com, and I plan to be able to do direct mail copies (signed) for the same price including shipping, for those that want that, and for donating to libraries at reduced cost (cost plus shipping).

I would always encourage tips to go directly to Stearns County via phone or email. I'll include information on how to do that at the beginning of the book, and again at the end. I'll have an email address included for myself as well, for those that don't feel comfortable sending directly to LE. I can tell you that the Stearns County investigator does read every email, and she does take them seriously. Most of the time, you won't hear anything back - that's just the way things are with open cases.

On a side note, I want to point out that neither the Wetterling family, nor the Jacob Wetterling Resource Center, were consulted or had input for the book. I did not attempt to interview the Wetterling family - the book is not about the family's ordeal and suffering - it is a straight-ahead accounting of the crime, the subsequent media and community reaction, and of course - the investigation. From my FAQ's:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/1511039559149895/

Q: Are you affiliated with the Wetterling family?
A: No, I have no affiliation with the Wetterlings. I have contacted them to let them know that I'm writing the book, but am not working with them or seeking their input in any way. The book will be based entirely on research and information from individuals familiar with the investigation, thereby maintaining complete objectivity.

Out of 11 reported cases in Paynesville only one confirms use of a car-

http://www.joybaker.com/2014/08/04/eleven-cases-and-counting/

1. March 9, 1986 – Attempted drive-by abduction of 12 year old boy near G&T Foods

Don't disagree with you completely, however I will note that there are only two possibilities in Jacobs case, one there was a car near by with a second individual in it who brought it up so the abductor could throw Jacob in and they took off, or the abductor was in very close proximity to the abduction site.

While a car was not reported in all cases, thinking like the actor, one would not want to stick around after abducting a child and risk not only being caught by LE, but the wrath of citizens and parents in close proximity. It makes sense that an actor would want to have the means for a quick exit and that's why I think a car is involved and in most if not all of the cases, and a second actor.

Could someone please tell me the name of the book and when it's out? I hope it will be available in the uk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could someone please tell me the name of the book and when it's out? I hope it will be available in the uk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I, too, eagerly await the book's release. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have early March marked on my calendar to go look for the book on Amazon. I believe the title is "It Can't Happen Here; The Search for Jacob Wetterling", by Robert Dudley. I gather this info from the Facebook page, searching for Jacob Wetterling.

Methinks it is thus, thenotebook. But I think most here believe they are separate incidents -- that Paynesville is one set of assaults; Jared was assaulted by yet another perp; and Jacob by yet another; or, that Paynesville and Jared might be related. I think a single individual obsessed with young teens who was in a position to regularly observe and develop fantasies about them followed/targeted boys he was attracted to. I'm guessing he was in a position with some kind of authority, whether as coach or teacher or priest, and had no problem exacting control of them to get his way. I imagine he lived right in that vicinity and was in an activity/activities that were often held within that radius. After Jacob, he knew he had to lay low and make a plan to exit the area until the heat was off. After what he thought was a safe amount of time, he felt at liberty to return to his hometown. All my subjective interpretation of the info as I know it and understand it.

I think the perp for all these cases is a lone wolf who was leading a troubled, double life. He had/has a big ego but deep within he has serious self esteem issues that have impacted his life. He may have self medicated with alcohol, which may have worsened his problems by increasing his courage while decreasing his inhibitions. Jared didn't mention alcohol on his breath though. That raspy voice -- some people are just born with that type of voice. Joan Rivers had that kind of voice. Maybe having a job that involves a great deal of talking or yelling might worsen the sound. Janis Joplin had a raspy kind of voice. Vocal damage can also occur in singers who have fatigued their voices. Was Chester ever in a band? Rock singers can suffer from this problem.

A thread was requested last December for discussion of the Paynesville assaults. Not to divert discussion here, of course, but it's there if you feel like specifically discussing Paynesville on its own.

Hello everyone. I'm new here but have been reading old threads and am finally caught up (almost). The 25th anniversary was the first time I heard about this case. This case has me completely baffled and frustrated to absolutely no end. (I'm sure you all can definitely relate!) But it also pulled at my heart and made me extremely sad. I think after all this time, the Wetterlings deserve to know what happened.

Anyway, please take a look at this article that came out in May. http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/...-revealed-in-jacob-wetterling-abduction-case/ I'm sure most of you have seen it. But while I was waiting for my account to be activated, I was re-reading the article and I found the comment posted a month ago by someone named Mazy VERY interesting. I honestly think this could be a potential break in the case. I had chills just reading that comment. Unfortunately her uncle has died so he couldn't be interviewed but surely DR could be?! I mean, it has to be his farm the commenter is talking about, right? This would also make sense as to why the abductor asked the boys their ages. He needed someone of a certain age.

I'm really sorry if this has been posted already. I skimmed the posts from the past month and I didn't see anything. I will go back and read through the last thread now. But perhaps THIS is why DR is a person of interest. Maybe LE knows he had a guest or suspects it. I honestly think this is a huge lead that needs to be investigated.

Hello everyone. I'm new here but have been reading old threads and am finally caught up (almost). The 25th anniversary was the first time I heard about this case. This case has me completely baffled and frustrated to absolutely no end. (I'm sure you all can definitely relate!) But it also pulled at my heart and made me extremely sad. I think after all this time, the Wetterlings deserve to know what happened.

Anyway, please take a look at this article that came out in May. http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/...-revealed-in-jacob-wetterling-abduction-case/ I'm sure most of you have seen it. But while I was waiting for my account to be activated, I was re-reading the article and I found the comment posted a month ago by someone named Mazy VERY interesting. I honestly think this could be a potential break in the case. I had chills just reading that comment. Unfortunately her uncle has died so he couldn't be interviewed but surely DR could be?! I mean, it has to be his farm the commenter is talking about, right? This would also make sense as to why the abductor asked the boys their ages. He needed someone of a certain age.

I'm really sorry if this has been posted already. I skimmed the posts from the past month and I didn't see anything. I will go back and read through the last thread now. But perhaps THIS is why DR is a person of interest. Maybe LE knows he had a guest or suspects it. I honestly think this is a huge lead that needs to be investigated.

This lead needs to be heard again, thank you for taking the time to join us and share this information. Have you had a chance to visit the site of the abduction yourself?

This lead needs to be heard again, thank you for taking the time to join us and share this information. Have you had a chance to visit the site of the abduction yourself?

Unfortunately I have not. I'm surprised I had never heard about Jacob's abduction before because although I was born a few years after the abduction, I lived in MN for a good portion of my life and it seems like everyone in MN knows of it. I wish I would have known about it while I lived there and had the opportunity to check it out.

Have many people on this forum visited the abduction site?

Jacob has a thread here.

I know, but I did not get a chance to read all of thread #13 yet and I want to catch up before I start posting on this one to make sure I don't repeat what has already been discussed.

I don't see a comments section. Where is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CAC6968