MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.joybaker.com/

Now I wonder if Kevin thought he was turning on Jefferson Lane instead of Rassiers driveway.

It's doubtful. It wasn't called "Jefferson" back then, it was all just Dale Street. IMO, the party must have been on Saturday night, because DR went out running from his farm straight north to the Del-Win sometime in the evening before the abduction. He certainly would have heard 25-30 kids partying in the woods right there, and he has never mentioned anything about that. He came back home along the other side of the woods on 16th/91st, so he would have passed them twice.

Also, Kevin says he knew where the party spot was, and he would have known Dale Street circled back to Tom Thumb. I still find it hard to believe he thought DR's driveway was a road anyway, since he knew the party spot area(s). It would only look like a road to someone not from St. Joe. It has a mailbox and a fire number.

Also, supposedly on Saturday night there was a whole troop of boy scouts camping out in one of these woods near the abduction site. On Sunday night the polka party at the Del-Win went until 10 pm. So there would have been lots of cars coming and going from that right around the abduction time also. Kind of strange all these people weren't bumping into each other. I'll wait to see if any other Apollo students were at this alleged party. (JMO)

It's doubtful. It wasn't called "Jefferson" back then, it was all just Dale Street. IMO, the party must have been on Saturday night, because DR went out running from his farm straight north to the Del-Win sometime in the evening before the abduction. He certainly would have heard 25-30 kids partying in the woods right there, and he has never mentioned anything about that. He came back home along the other side of the woods on 16th/91st, so he would have passed them twice.

Also, Kevin says he knew where the party spot was, and he would have known Dale Street circled back to Tom Thumb. I still find it hard to believe he thought DR's driveway was a road anyway, since he knew the party spot area(s). It would only look like a road to someone not from St. Joe. It has a mailbox and a fire number.

Also, supposedly on Saturday night there was a whole troop of boy scouts camping out in one of these woods near the abduction site. On Sunday night the polka party at the Del-Win went until 10 pm. So there would have been lots of cars coming and going from that right around the abduction time also. Kind of strange all these people weren't bumping into each other. I'll wait to see if any other Apollo students were at this alleged party. (JMO)

Thanks I have never been to the area.

I think the time is rather important. What time did the kids decide to party? Did the student state they were questioned by LE? If so, LE was aware of the party.

This party in the woods with kids scattering everywhere within an hour of the abduction is interesting because one of the boys did state that at first they thought it was a high school kid playing a joke.

I applaud Joy and her efforts but sometimes she really makes me giggle:
"As far as he knew, they were all just beer drinkers… good, normal, high school kids."

I realize this wasn't meant to be funny but c'mon - good, normal, high school beer drinkers. Lol

What do you guys think about this tidbit that Joy mentioned:

"And here’s one more interesting tidbit that just adds to the weirdness. You may recall that Jacob’s friend Aaron was riding a scooter on the night of the abduction, while the other two boys were riding bikes. That’s because Jacob’s bike had actually been STOLEN the night before. He had been staying overnight at a friend’s house when his bike was stolen right out of his friend’s yard. (The friend lived just north of the woods on the WEST side of 16th/91st Avenue.) That’s why Jacob had borrowed his mom’s ten-speed that night and Aaron had taken the scooter. (For what it’s worth, the police eventually found and questioned the guy who had taken Jacob’s bike, but still… what a weird coincidence.)"

(It still doesn't make sense why Aaron was on a scooter though...wouldn't he have his own bike? And Jacob just borrowed Patty's? Maybe Aaron just wanted to ride a scooter).

What do you guys think about this tidbit that Joy mentioned:

"And here’s one more interesting tidbit that just adds to the weirdness. You may recall that Jacob’s friend Aaron was riding a scooter on the night of the abduction, while the other two boys were riding bikes. That’s because Jacob’s bike had actually been STOLEN the night before. He had been staying overnight at a friend’s house when his bike was stolen right out of his friend’s yard. (The friend lived just north of the woods on the WEST side of 16th/91st Avenue.) That’s why Jacob had borrowed his mom’s ten-speed that night and Aaron had taken the scooter. (For what it’s worth, the police eventually found and questioned the guy who had taken Jacob’s bike, but still… what a weird coincidence.)"

(It still doesn't make sense why Aaron was on a scooter though...wouldn't he have his own bike? And Jacob just borrowed Patty's? Maybe Aaron just wanted to ride a scooter).

I thought I remember reading that Aaron lived a few miles away and was dropped off at Jacob's house, so I don't think he would have had his bike with him.

I dont think that matters at all..If the guy had taken the kid on the scooter instead of the too bikes and it was a scooter stolen the night before then ya but he didnt what was important was the age not what they were riding....who is the suspect the guy that lives next door is my guess and what chest. surely they would have tested it for dna .

St Joe police chief Bill Lorentz was suspended by the mayor in October 1990, just a few months before he was to retire. I know that partying by college students was a controversial issue in town back then - you would think partying by high schoolers would be scrutinized even more. The rumors going around town were that he was suspended for taking extra coffee breaks, but I'm sure that wasn't it.

This is a bit off topic, but demonstrates why it's important to go back to the beginning of a case. The Lyon sisters were kidnapped from a shopping mall in Washington DC in 1975.

A POI has been named in the case, a man who inserted himself into the investigation immediately after the kidnapping. A cold case investigator was going through the files and noted a failed lie detector test, and now the case is on it's way to being solved.

http://patch.com/maryland/northpotomac/sex-offender-admits-taking-lyon-sisters-1975-court-records

Hopefully something similar will happen in Jacob's case....something leading to a 'solve' in the case.

While I sit here trash talking DR all the time, theres one thing about Kevin or whoever tires tracks these are that left what appears to be a stopping imprint at the point of the footprints-

View attachment 68634

How was Kevin quickly cleared? Do the alibis check out with 100 percent certainty?
If these are Kevin's and the pic is facing east...then where are his 'return' tracks? WTH? This pic doesn't make sense. It's like 1(ONE) track.

Is there anyone who can explain this? Why did LE place casts on these 3 particular locations?

Is there anyone who can explain this? Why did LE place casts on these 3 particular locations?

Print technology was not as advanced in the 1980's only having been "re-discovered" in the late 60's and early 70's with very few "experts" such as Jack Kearny of the US Border Patrol and Tom Brown of NJ. There was a huge break in "tribal knowledge" in print evaluation between the 1800's and the early 1970's.

I am guessing they took casts of what they "thought" was the most likely tire and foot prints. A print field is much like one of those huge "Where's Waldo" puzzles. You have to pick the important prints and indicators out of a huge and confusing mess, and do so after a number of other individual with no print or forensics knowledge have walked around in it. Even the FBI in that era was far behind where it is today and frequently consulted with Jack and Tom.

This is why I keep saying we need the "big picture" photographs of the entire print field. LE either failed to take them or have some reason I can't fathom for not sharing them with today's experts.

If these are Kevin's and the pic is facing east...then where are his 'return' tracks? WTH? This pic doesn't make sense. It's like 1(ONE) track.

The return tracks could be out of the picture view, or he backed in and drove out in an attempt to stay on the same tracks...except there is an indicator that the tire tracks did not direct register. I pointed that out a while back.

The scout troop that was camping nearby...is there any records of the scout leaders being questioned? Any of them dismissed over time for actions not in accordance with scouting? The bearing of the abductor has some parallels with the para-military bearing of scout leaders.

The scout troop that was camping nearby...is there any records of the scout leaders being questioned? Any of them dismissed over time for actions not in accordance with scouting? The bearing of the abductor has some parallels with the para-military bearing of scout leaders.

We've never heard of any scout leaders being questioned, although they may have been. Not sure who the scout leaders were locally back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rukasu the Question