MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, guys. The forum is set up for one discussion thread for missing person.

Currently, we do not have a sub-forum for Jacob. If anyone feels a dedicated sub-forum is necessary, please follow the usual procedure, and send a request to me in a private message.

Thanks.

Bessie
WS Administrator

That is too bad I think it would be helpful for another thread to explore other possibilities.

I would be curious to know if Dan's parents ever traveled so far again, leaving him alone. Just one of those night time wonderings. Wish I could know what they know and feel in their hearts, either way, about their boy. His siblings too.

The B's- Ratted each other out. Exactly what you would hope to happen in an ongoing case like this. Nothing more is known.

MF- Child molestor found to be in the immediate area the night of the abduction. MF claims air tight alibi and cleared twice. Child abductor and murderer? Thin information.

Hollinger- Hockey guy, lived near St Joe, worked in St Joe. Leaves the state and now lives in Texas. Arrested and released, records destroyed.

VS- Highly interested in the abduction, in St. Joe, maps of St Joe, items of interest found in home, 45 caliber handgun found, artist.

DR- Named person of interest, items from third search still in testing, Judge issued gag order not to discuss the meaning of POI or items found.

Kevin- On the driveway, doesn't talk for 14 years, nor does his girlfriend and family, Patty and LE publicly clear them.

The B's- Ratted each other out. Exactly what you would hope to happen in an ongoing case like this. Nothing more is known.

MF- Child molestor found to be in the immediate area the night of the abduction. MF claims air tight alibi and cleared twice. Child abductor and murderer? Thin information.

Hollinger- Hockey guy, lived near St Joe, worked in St Joe. Leaves the state and now lives in Texas. Arrested and released, records destroyed.

VS- Highly interested in the abduction, in St. Joe, maps of St Joe, items of interest found in home, 45 caliber handgun found, artist.

DR- Named person of interest, items from third search still in testing, Judge issued gag order not to discuss the meaning of POI or items found.

Kevin- On the driveway, doesn't talk for 14 years, nor does his girlfriend and family, Patty and LE publicly clear them.
DAH left off purposefully?

DAH left off purposefully?

DAH- 5 ft 7 in, size 9ee shoe, responsible for attacking a single victim some 350 to 700 times, questioned multiple times, helped investigators with Jareds case, child abductor and murderer?

DAH- 5 ft 7 in, size 9ee shoe, responsible for attacking a single victim some 350 to 700 times, questioned multiple times, helped investigators with Jareds case, child abductor and murderer?

Started drinking at age 6. Specilal needs classes. Used other drugs as well.

How many brain cells would be left?

I really think anything is possible as far as LE sharing or not sharing info. What do you think they gain by having Kevin go public if he was already known to the public as "a suspect" through the article you quote? ...

I think that the article I quote was something of an oversight by Patty, she didn't really mean to blurt out that they found tracks and foot prints linked to an early suspect. The early reports of Kevin's story suggest he got out and talked to the cops on the crime scene, which would explain both his car and foot prints on the scene, and this news article.

It wasn't until his story 10+ years later to Joy that the whole cop-at-the-dental-office claim came out - as far as I can tell.
I don't remember the exact details around Kevin's coming out in 2003. He went to the cops to tell them, but did he go to the press alone or was that through LE?
When I look at the press of this era it is clear there was a managed effort by both the police and Kevin to get the story out there that he had driven all the way up to DR's homestead that night.

Assuming Kevin's story is true about meeting a US Marshall at a party who convinced him to finally tell his story to the police, there was no reason for this to appear in the media unless the cops wanted it in the media. I believe there was a new sheriff around this time which probably also has something to do with the decision to go public with Kevin's epic tour through the biggest crime in Minnesota history.

Since previous history is the best predictor of future behavior, Kevin's instinct was almost certainly to keep this story between him and cops only. So ask yourself: Why the cops would deliberately ask him to go public with Kevin's story?

One of the more interesting aspects is that multiple cars passed the boys on the way to Tom Thumb. Whether or not they were traveling towards them or were coming from behind them remains unknown. Either way, there were very few houses back in that area meaning ANY traffic would be significant to the case.

Agreed.

The evidence of the crime scene vicinity is so limited every possible physical and logistical detail takes significance. If this was a major thoroughfare or even a normal residential street that DID NOT come to a dead end, many of the details would be far less worthy of serious discussion. A thinly populated semi-rural street with no outlet except backtracking towards the highway provides a lot of presumptions we can be fairly confident about for any traffic or indeed any person seen on the road at any time.

A lack of car traffic on the way back from Tom Thumb strongly suggests the abductor did not first see them while they were there, but on the way there. But it's still just slightly possible to see the boys at the store and then pull of the abduction. It's also possible the boys weren't paying attention to car traffic much and got the details wrong, so a viable scenario that works except for the boys' testimony about car traffic is still worth considering. When I was in drivers ed the instructor at one point reached up and put his hand across the rearview mirror and said, "how many cars just passed by and what was their color." I couldn't answer and no one else could either. There were no cars that had just passed by.

One viable scenario is that the abductor was driving south down 91st Street and saw the boys on their way to the Tom Thumb. There is testimony on Joy's blog about another 12 year old boy in the neighborhood who had a couple incidents of being harassed by a car while he was riding to/from the Tom Thumb. To me the details of these previous incidents suffered by the other boy are something high school kids would do, which might weigh into Jacob's abduction scenario, most specifically a prank-gone-wrong.

So Jacob is not the first 12 y.o. harassed between his house and the Tom Thumb.
http://www.joybaker.com/2014/07/09/tidbits/

That is too bad I think it would be helpful for another thread to explore other possibilities.

The ideal situation is to have all discussions shared easily in one thread just in case anyone has a good insight or other information. Unshared information silos are no doubt contributing to the failure in solving this case.

There was a second thread started for Johnny Gosch when the primary thread became dominated by those advancing one explanation and one explanation only - a vast conspiracy of Right Wing Pedophiles who hunted boys in the Midwest. I didn't know we had to ask permission to start a separate thread but I will happily do so if we truly can't talk here without a constant barrage of pleas to look at one explanation and one explanation only. Everyone likely has something to offer.
Here's a scenario for you:

Kevin is out that night just being a general bored young person in a small town and perhaps visits the party spot(s) he told Joy about around 91st Street. He already is very familiar with DR's driveway and knows it's not a public road - the idea he would go all the way to DR's house and turn around is absurd. So, he's definitely in DR's driveway that night, this is beyond dispute. BUT, perhaps he is in the area for some modestly embarrassing reason: to drink beer in the woods, to smoke pot, have sex with his girlfriend, or whatever. He's been there before for similar reasons he admits.

I assume he at no time spoke to the cops that night since there is no record of it.

BUT, and this is critical...Kevin isn't in the area because of the ridiculous scanner story that doesn't make sense, he's already in the area, probably for some fairly harmless reason noted above. Perhaps he's even one of the cars the boys see on their way to the Tom Thumb. If Kevin is not a part of the crime, he and his girlfriend likely have testimony about the scene of the crime, about the boys, about the Tom Thumb, about what is going on around 91st Street this night, about who else he may have seen that night, about other vehicles seen that night, or about DR.

If Kevin's timing as given 14+ years after the crime is off by even 10-20 minutes, Kevin is an important material witness to much more than bikes strewn on the side of the road and a "medical cop". All of this scenario goes a long way to explaining why it took so long for Kevin's story to be made public (I believe the cops likely already knew Kevin's story starting from very early in the investigation).

The ideal situation is to have all discussions shared easily in one thread just in case anyone has a good insight or other information. Unshared information silos are no doubt contributing to the failure in solving this case.

There was a second thread started for Johnny Gosch when the primary thread became dominated by those advancing one explanation and one explanation only - a vast conspiracy of Right Wing Pedophiles who hunted boys in the Midwest. I didn't know we had to ask permission to start a separate thread but I will happily do so if we truly can't talk here without a constant barrage of pleas to look at one explanation and one explanation only. Everyone likely has something to offer.
Here's a scenario for you:

Kevin is out that night just being a general bored young person in a small town and perhaps visits the party spot(s) he told Joy about around 91st Street. He already is very familiar with DR's driveway and knows it's not a public road - the idea he would go all the way to DR's house and turn around is absurd. So, he's definitely in DR's driveway that night, this is beyond dispute. BUT, perhaps he is in the area for some modestly embarrassing reason: to drink beer in the woods, to smoke pot, have sex with his girlfriend, or whatever. He's been there before for similar reasons he admits.

I assume he at no time spoke to the cops that night since there is no record of it.

BUT, and this is critical...Kevin isn't in the area because of the ridiculous scanner story that doesn't make sense, he's already in the area, probably for some fairly harmless reason noted above. Perhaps he's even one of the cars the boys see on their way to the Tom Thumb. If Kevin is not a part of the crime, he and his girlfriend likely have testimony about the scene of the crime, about the boys, about the Tom Thumb, about what is going on around 91st Street this night, about who else he may have seen that night, about other vehicles seen that night, or about DR.

If Kevin's timing as given 14+ years after the crime is off by even 10-20 minutes, Kevin is an important material witness to much more than bikes strewn on the side of the road and a "medical cop". All of this scenario goes a long way to explaining why it took so long for Kevin's story to be made public (I believe the cops likely already knew Kevin's story starting from very early in the investigation).

Talk to someone involved in the case, I think it will cure you of ruminating too much on Kevin. If you ask someone I think you'd be surprised at the level they investigated him at different levels in law enforcement.

Talk to someone involved in the case, I think it will cure you of ruminating too much on Kevin. If you ask someone I think you'd be surprised at the level they investigated him at different levels in law enforcement.

DR cleared Kevin and is 100 percent convinced we should be trying to find the afternoon car. The tan monte carlo. Whats funny about that is if that's the abductor, he drives all the way into the building site in the afternoon- reveals himself, his car, and leaves his tire tracks. He then returns during the night and sees the three boys and abducts Jacob. Mask, gun, and all. But this time he doesn't have the tan monte carlo, he is on foot and walks Jacob to his house somewhere in St Joe. More attention should be focused on getting the community to remember who may have owned a tan monte carlo.

Your question number 1 interrogates a huge issue:
Precisely how many cars were in DR's driveway on Sunday and who was driving them?
  1. the tan Monte Carlo type vehicle DR feels certain is a big clue
  2. the abductor's car, if any
  3. Kevin's car, if his story is true
  4. the possibility DR himself drove a car on his driveway that day
Obviously the key to solving this crime could very well be discovered by pinpointing exactly the vehicle traffic.

I've read comments from DR addressing the dog (possibly) not barking if Kevin drove around the driveway. Remember, in the cops new version of events, the car DR saw drive around his driveway was Kevin's. I have seen DR talk about this in Joy's blog or perhaps in the Q&A he kind of took in the comments section of a later news story about him. I'm still trying to find it, but maybe someone else knows where it is, and I will post it when I find it. But, basically DR says that ocassional barking is not enough to get him out of bed and that he got out of bed and discovered the cops at the woodpile with flashlights because the dog was going berserk and wouldn't let up.

Between DR, Kevin and the cops ... someone is wrong or lying about the cars in the driveway this night. IMO.

RBBM
You forgot the music student....of which we don't know if he/she walked or was dropped off by vehicle or drove himself/herself. But we agree on your last sentence BBM, in this triangular relationship....someone is lying...the question is who?

DR can challenge the judges gag order and force le to give up its false information about him, he can clear his name. But he must have the help of legal counsel.

What to do if a court issues a gag order

If a court issues a gag order in a case you are covering, the first thing you should do is obtain a copy. If it is a written order, the court clerk should be able to provide a copy. If not, you may have to pay to have the court stenographer transcribe the judge’s oral directive.

Find out who the order gags and what restrictions it places on the gagged individuals. What is the judge’s justification for issuing the gag? Nuances in the language of the order may greatly affect whether it will be upheld on appeal.

If your sources have been gagged, you will need advice on whether you can challenge the order or whether the person directly affected by it must bring the challenge. Here, too, you will need the help of legal counsel.

In some cases, a judge will lift or modify a gag order when told of the constitutional problems it poses. But a formal appeal may be necessary to protect your ability to cover a court case.

https://www.rcfp.org/first-amendment-handbook/introduction-what-do-if-court-issues-gag-order

Your question number 1 interrogates a huge issue:
[B]Precisely how many cars were in DR's driveway on Sunday and who was driving them?[/B]
  1. the tan Monte Carlo type vehicle DR feels certain is a big clue
  2. the abductor's car, if any
  3. Kevin's car, if his story is true
  4. the possibility DR himself drove a car on his driveway that day
Obviously the key to solving this crime could very well be discovered by pinpointing exactly the vehicle traffic.

I've read comments from DR addressing the dog (possibly) not barking if Kevin drove around the driveway. Remember, in the cops new version of events, the car DR saw drive around his driveway was Kevin's. I have seen DR talk about this in Joy's blog or perhaps in the Q&A he kind of took in the comments section of a later news story about him. I'm still trying to find it, but maybe someone else knows where it is, and I will post it when I find it. But, basically DR says that ocassional barking is not enough to get him out of bed and that he got out of bed and discovered the cops at the woodpile with flashlights because the dog was going berserk and wouldn't let up.

Between DR, Kevin and the cops ... someone is wrong or lying about the cars in the driveway this night. IMO.

RBBM. Maybe that's where we're at? And maybe that's what was done?

Is there any documentation of when he told about these cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grumpie13