MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody, I am new to WB as a member and to this forum. I did know of Jacobs story but not in depth, at all. As a guest I have been reading WS for several years. DR did say that in a TvP interview...Investigators questioned him as recently as two weeks ago, February 7th [2004]. They took a sample of his DNA. Five days later they questioned his family and searched his computer files at home.The Man: “I just have to hope they make sense out of it and not wreck my life.”Remember he is the witness who placed a car at the scene. Later that night he heard a commotion. It was the search and it was in his yard. He went back to bed.Trish Van Pilsum: “Why would you go to bed when a kid had just disappeared?”The Man: “I wanted to get some sleep. I wasn’t going to waste my time.”The man FOX 9 talked with may never be connected with the Jacob Wetterling kidnapping case. But I also recall him dismissing TvP quotes. If i can find I will repost.Finally, I want to thank those of you who have written, especially about facts, in this forum. It is fascinating, captivating and awful at the same time. Hope the W's family get answers and soon. I have followed the Lyon Sisters case for going on a decade and its finally begun to break, its been excruciatingly slow but I have a sense that this case could be soon. I hope for the W's. Thanks for reading.

Welcome. I believe this is the rebuttal you are looking for (DR also says in a WCCO interview he was misquoted/taken out of context in the Fox ambushed interview you cite)

http://www.joybaker.com/2013/02/23/dans-story-2/
The 911 operator tells Dan a child has been abducted at the end of his driveway and that the people with flashlights are cops searching for the missing child.

When Dan learns this information, he does NOT go back to bed. He got dressed, grabbed a flashlight, and went outside to see if he could help. I asked him if he talked to any of the police officers that night and he said, “Yes, I spoke to an officer on the road, up the hill. I didn’t know who he was for 23 years.”

The WCCO link http://www.joybaker.com/2013/05/15/dans-story-covered-on-wcco-news/

Hi everybody, I am new to WB as a member and to this forum. I did know of Jacobs story but not in depth, at all. As a guest I have been reading WS for several years. DR did say that in a TvP interview...Investigators questioned him as recently as two weeks ago, February 7th [2004]. They took a sample of his DNA. Five days later they questioned his family and searched his computer files at home.The Man: “I just have to hope they make sense out of it and not wreck my life.”Remember he is the witness who placed a car at the scene. Later that night he heard a commotion. It was the search and it was in his yard. He went back to bed.Trish Van Pilsum: “Why would you go to bed when a kid had just disappeared?”The Man: “I wanted to get some sleep. I wasn’t going to waste my time.”The man FOX 9 talked with may never be connected with the Jacob Wetterling kidnapping case. But I also recall him dismissing TvP quotes. If i can find I will repost.Finally, I want to thank those of you who have written, especially about facts, in this forum. It is fascinating, captivating and awful at the same time. Hope the W's family get answers and soon. I have followed the Lyon Sisters case for going on a decade and its finally begun to break, its been excruciatingly slow but I have a sense that this case could be soon. I hope for the W's. Thanks for reading.

Welcome to websleuths dreddlock thanks for joining us and for caring about Jacob.

First, let's address the days the horses arrived. It was Thursday, not Saturday. Your misinformation is EXACTLY why you need to site your sources. Spreading the word that horses arrived on Saturday is categorically wrong. When you start saying something like the "Horses arrived Saturday" when in fact, its been posted on here that they arrived on Thursday is bad sleuthing, not fair to the other users and not fair to Jacob Wetterling. Links are ment to verify statements.

With that, here is a newspaper clipping from FRIDAY, October 27th, 1989. It clearly notes the horses were there the day before, on October 26th, 1989....a THURSDAY.

2mecvtx.png

Sorry. I was believing DR. My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by FindTim View Post
And there also capable of eroding in hours.
How about a direct quote from DR on the subject? From April 2013...

Almost an entire week had passed, (it was Oct. 28th) yet this was the first time law enforcement had actually asked to see where the cars had turned around in the yard.
“As they were asking me where… about 15 horses were prancing about the area where the tracks had been all week! ~ DR

So Dan says the tracks lasted a week, (and this was UP by the house, BTW when they came to question him) until the horses pranced all over them. But LE had taken casts the next day (Oct. 23rd) of the driveway. IMO, they would have checked the entire driveway, and we only have seen pics of the lower portion of the driveway, because that is where Jacob's footprint ended.

http://www.joybaker.com/2013/04/01/a...omment-page-1/

I am new one of my first attempts to post, so excuse me if I don't do it perfectly!
I wondered if we knew if the boys turned around, or when they ran away, how far did they run? Did they never turn around to see a car/ or Jacob walking with the man? In a particular direction. Just wondering.
Thanks. Enjoying all your posts

Welcome to the fold, Kay.

Per Jerry Wetterling. "This guy wearing a mask came out and you could see his hand gun. This guy told them to get off their bikes and lay down in the ditch or else he would shoot. He asked one by one what their age was. After that, he had Trevor and Aaron, one by one, run off into the nearby woods. And, told them not to look back or else he would shoot. As Aaron was taking off, he saw the man grab Jacob's arm."
http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1409/07/thwjw.01.html

Based on this from Aaron he appears to have witnessed the perp grabbing jacob's arm. The rest of the visual evidence ends there as I believe it was too dark and the kids were too scared to turn around and see anything happening.

I am new one of my first attempts to post, so excuse me if I don't do it perfectly!
I wondered if we knew if the boys turned around, or when they ran away, how far did they run? Did they never turn around to see a car/ or Jacob walking with the man? In a particular direction. Just wondering.
Thanks. Enjoying all your posts

Kevins own words...http://www.joybaker.com/2013/03/14/kevins-story/ Does anyone know the address of Kevins girlfriend mothers house? I dont know the area but was wondering if it was even possible to get in the girlfriends car, drive to Del-Win (discuss next move with girlfriends brother who was following in truck("discussing", pure speculation, on my part, but very plausible). Then drive "back way" towards to 16th/91st, stop again say goodbye to brother.(perhaps discussion again) then off towards the abduction scene. Then pull in DR driveway, up 1/4mile turn around go back 1/4 mile stop, then they see the bikes, " sit there and discuss", contemplate then decide to go to Tom Thumb. All in under 6-8 minutes? It has been documented that police arrived at the scene with in 6-8 minutes. (from joyblog)...Within six minutes of receiving the 911 call, the sheriff was on the scene. He saw the boys’ bikes in the ditch and immediately called for backup, including help from the F.B.I. Throughout the night, officers searched for Jacob with flashlights, and a State Patrol helicopter searched the dense woods with a flood light. No luck. The search was called off at...... 8 minutes is stated in a couple different articles. Is this possible ? Does anyone know the area well enough? Does this make any sense? 1) Could Kevin have done all this, before police arrived, in lets say less than 8 minutes and not be noticed and not be pulled over?2) To be clear with everyone and Kevin, I have zero idea of who did this and I am not accusing anybody? But, His story seems incredulous? But it has been a long time for him to recall.3) One last note, probably not that important ............but, how did Kevin get to abduction scene, making all those stops, before the police?..........If, he was.... following...them?....... after he heard them on the scanner and saw them race by, down 75 with lights on?

Kevins own words...http://www.joybaker.com/2013/03/14/kevins-story/ Does anyone know the address of Kevins girlfriend mothers house? I dont know the area but was wondering if it was even possible to get in the girlfriends car, drive to Del-Win (discuss next move with girlfriends brother who was following in truck("discussing", pure speculation, on my part, but very plausible). Then drive "back way" towards to 16th/91st, stop again say goodbye to brother.(perhaps discussion again) then off towards the abduction scene. Then pull in DR driveway, up 1/4mile turn around go back 1/4 mile stop, then they see the bikes, " sit there and discuss", contemplate then decide to go to Tom Thumb. All in under 6-8 minutes? It has been documented that police arrived at the scene with in 6-8 minutes. (from joyblog)...Within six minutes of receiving the 911 call, the sheriff was on the scene. He saw the boys’ bikes in the ditch and immediately called for backup, including help from the F.B.I. Throughout the night, officers searched for Jacob with flashlights, and a State Patrol helicopter searched the dense woods with a flood light. No luck. The search was called off at...... 8 minutes is stated in a couple different articles. Is this possible ? Does anyone know the area well enough? Does this make any sense? 1) Could Kevin have done all this, before police arrived, in lets say less than 8 minutes and not be noticed and not be pulled over?2) To be clear with everyone and Kevin, I have zero idea of who did this and I am not accusing anybody? But, His story seems incredulous? But it has been a long time for him to recall.3) One last note, probably not that important ............but, how did Kevin get to abduction scene, making all those stops, before the police?..........If, he was.... following...them?....... after he heard them on the scanner and saw them race by, down 75 with lights on?

Your logic is solid, but the one piece you're missing is that the police went past the abduction scene to the Wetterling home.

If Kevin's story is true, then it means that LE did not secure the crime scene immediately. It's a bit odd though, that just a few minutes later...a cop is stationed at Dr Cotton's office.

Your logic is solid, but the one piece you're missing is that the police went past the abduction scene to the Wetterling home.

If Kevin's story is true, then it means that LE did not secure the crime scene immediately. It's a bit odd though, that just a few minutes later...a cop is stationed at Dr Cotton's office.

Wasn't the cop there for the Wetterlings when they got that far from their trip coming home?

Also, the police probably did not know what the crime scene was until they talked to the boys

People have been talking on here about the lack of FBI and how no one knew what they were doing, etc.

The newspaper article Stink posted said that 20 agents had been assigned to the case. 20! I imagine at least one had to know what to do, right?

People have been talking on here about the lack of FBI and how no one knew what they were doing, etc.

The newspaper article Stink posted said that 20 agents had been assigned to the case. 20! I imagine at least one had to know what to do, right?

Yup one came in and knew to go to that guy who walked through the crime scene tape. "You let him out of here without searching his car or house" IMO. Then they start dropping like flies as time goes on.

Sanner has made things more professional.

I don't understand why so many castigate DR for not telling the cops about the cars he saw until the next day. The cops never asked to talk with him from what I can tell - until the next day. His version of events - that he had already gone to bed and wakes up to a big commotion on his property seems believable to me. I am not trying to be biased for or against any potential suspect but if it happened to me I would probably be in disarray and may not remember to volunteer extra information to people who didn't seem interested in talking with me, until I had time to think about everything more clearly.

How much value do you give in the scent evidence from the dogs, at least insofar as that evidence has been made public?
Is there a reasonably easy way for the dogs to lose an established scent in the driveway other than putting Jacob on a mode of transportation of some type?

The subjects scent can be contaminated by too many other people moving around in the scent field, by auto exhaust, other animal scents and chemical fumes. We can rule out the chemical fumes for the most part, as well as auto exhaust. Bloodhounds would most likely be able to detect the imprinted scent as long as not too many people had walked around in it. It really depends on the bloodhounds. We have a guy here in PA who's bloodhounds would keep on the scent, even when there were major attempts to contaminate it (fox urine etc...). So...it depends on the breed of dog, training, experience and handler.

. At best, he just doesn't seem to have any empathy when he discusses the case..

Wasn't Jerry Wetterling considered a suspect early on for the same reason?

First, let's address the days the horses arrived. It was Thursday, not Saturday. ...
With that, here is a newspaper clipping from FRIDAY, October 27th, 1989. It clearly notes the horses were there the day before, on October 26th, 1989....a THURSDAY.

Great find about the horses! It really adds value to the discussion to provide a cited source!

HDR did say that in a TvP interview...Investigators questioned him as recently as two weeks ago, February 7th [2004]. ...Trish Van Pilsum: “Why would you go to bed when a kid had just disappeared?”The Man: “I wanted to get some sleep. I wasn’t going to waste my time.”

First of all, this interview, which is posted on Joy's blog and also in transcript form Shergirl on these threads, from my perspective is edited and spliced for sensationalism. There is no constant stream of Dan's narration and we don't know what questions he's answering when he speaks. For instance, if we want to be charitable to Trish or her producers we can say that she wanted to avoid giving hints to DR's identity because DR was not yet a named individual...so they edited out his response that he was carrying band instruments to work that day and had Trish herself voice over "boxes. big boxes" instead of letting Dan speak for himself on what was in his car.

Second of all, the part where DR says that he went to bad that night is not shown in full context of what question was asked. It's possible, even likely IMO, that he had already mentioned talking to the cops and searching through the outbuildings. But we'll never know because Trish edited out the uncut version of DR's answers and instead interspliced Kevin's story.....before coming back to the ever-so-titillating "waste of time" comment of DR's....which seems to me a plausible reaction to the cop's disinterest in speaking with him and overall frustration with their disorganization this evening. It seems clear to me Trish wanted the WOW! impact of the phrase "waste of time" and built it up to spectacular implications through editing. YES, DR could have used a better choice of words.

I don't see any evidence DR has given more than one account of his action this night. After he searched the buildings and spoke with the cops, who were disinterested in his story, he very likely decided to go to bed because he felt trying to help them was a waste of time. Note too, this is spoken 15 years afterwards....he's already frustrated with the cops by this point, and anyway even on a night like this is it reasonable to expect both DR and Kevin are so precise as to their movements when speaking about it over a decade later?

The only way to know the truth about the context and order of what Dan said he did in this TV interview is to see the entire unedited tape....and....I think it's imprudent for anyone to suggest DR has given two different accounts of his activities this night based only on THIS 2004 Trish Van Pilsum story, because that would be reading a lot into the interview and making assumptions about what questions Dan is answering and whether or not the producers chopped out parts of his narrative. The fact is this tape of him this evening is clearly edited and spliced to flow with Kevin's story - DR's original, unedited response is unknown, but he says he gave Trish the account as given in Joy's blog.

http://www.joybaker.com/2010/11/06/a-few-questions-answered-but-more-to-ponder/
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Wetterling-11-St-Joseph-22-Oct-1989-4/page59

Sorry. I was believing DR. My mistake.
How about a direct quote from DR on the subject? From April 2013...

“As they were asking me where… about 15 horses were prancing about the area where the tracks had been all week! ~ DR

So Dan says the tracks lasted a week, (and this was UP by the house, BTW when they came to question him) until the horses pranced all over them. But LE had taken casts the next day (Oct. 23rd) of the driveway. IMO, they would have checked the entire driveway, and we only have seen pics of the lower portion of the driveway, because that is where Jacob's footprint ended.

I see no contradiction in what Dan is saying, unless you start with the assumption he is guilty and are set in bending all evidence that direction. The horses showed up on Thursday according to the article StinkSprings found. DR says later in the week WHEN THE COPS WERE FINALLY GETTING AROUND TO INVESTIGATING HIM AND HIS HOUSE AREA FURTHER, he was simultaneously wondering if the cops were competent since they had never bothered to check the tire tracks up by his house and there were horses trampling all over the place even as he was talking to the cops. The horses arrived Thursday according to the article. The cops got around to talking with Dan again on Saturday, when according to Dan he saw horses. Horses on more than one day seems probable; Dan didn't say when he FIRST saw horses.

Kevin All in under 6-8 minutes? It has been documented that police arrived at the scene with in 6-8 minutes. (from joyblog)...Within six minutes of receiving the 911 call, the sheriff was on the scene. Is this possible ? Does anyone know the area well enough? Does this make any sense? 1) Could Kevin have done all this, before police arrived, in lets say less than 8 minutes and not be noticed and not be pulled over?2) To be clear with everyone and Kevin, I have zero idea of who did this and I am not accusing anybody? But, His story seems incredulous? But it has been a long time for him to recall.3) One last note, probably not that important ............but, how did Kevin get to abduction scene, making all those stops, before the police?..........If, he was.... following...them?....... after he heard them on the scanner and saw them race by, down 75 with lights on?

I reject that it is reasonable for Kevin to be in Dan's driveway, stopped, facing towards 91st street, before the police get there all because he heard on the scanner something had happened at the Tom Thumb.

Kevin's story is the most unbelievable aspect of this night. The fact that he now says he has nothing to hide isn't really helped by the fact that he waited 14+ years to come forward....remember please he always knew he was the first person on the crime scene...he thought for 14 years the cops had no ineterst in him?

...oh yeah, he says he told the cops that night what he saw but they have no record of it. No one has a record of his 'medical cop' conversation at the Tom Thumb either. hmmmm.
They went to the Wetterling's

Sure, if you believe Kevin's timing is so exactly precise 14 years after the event. A scanner mentioning the Tom Thumb is a reasonable explanation to be in DR's driveway? If you don't believe that's a reasonable explanation to be in DR's driveway then it becomes apparent that Kevin may have been in the driveway before the cops ever came down 91st Street on the way to the Wetterlings. Not saying he did it; I am saying Kevin's story is ridiculous and he was obviously afraid of too much scrutiny in the aftermath of the abduction.

Your logic is solid, but the one piece you're missing is that the police went past the abduction scene to the Wetterling home. If Kevin's story is true, then it means that LE did not secure the crime scene immediately. It's a bit odd though, that just a few minutes later...a cop is stationed at Dr Cotton's office.

This timing of Kevin tonight is fantastic, in fact I don't see any reasonable explanation for it. His visit to Tom Thumb and the dental office are substantiated by Kevin and his GF only, right? Even though the cop at the dental office and people at Tom Thumb should have remembered him and his 'medical cop'?

Also, the police probably did not know what the crime scene was until they talked to the boys

Kevin says he told the cops about the crime scene and their response was they already knew. So someone's misremembering this night: the cops or Kevin.

Yes, the young cop

Says who? Kevin? Where's the record of this conversation?

According to ELOC's book and what tracker says, it seems to me the FBI don't really take charge but provide extra manpower. A lot of them were given the task of following up on leads from the public instead of crime scene investigation, as far as I can tell. Do we have pictures of FBI on site at the crime scene?

Truthfully, if Kevin came forward to the public, and stated he was the one who drove over the crime scene, that what he did was due to youthful stupidity, I think the public could accept this better than Kevin staying hidden. What purpose does it serve for him to not come forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1