MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I came across her blog a while back. It's good to see that people still care about finding Jacob.

Awe, KHA...lots a people care! Some see his little smiling face, remember it from a memory of old? Idk. But...spend most of a day, thinking and praying for Jacob.
May justice for Jake, his family...surface soon. Real soon.

Here is a link to a touching essay written by Molly Each. There is no new information here - but it's a nice perspective from someone who was Jacob's age at the time of his kidnapping.

There's a line near the end of the essay that reads "Though I never knew him, he’s this strange part of who I am." You don't have to be a Minnesotan for that to hit home.....that says it all for me, and many others I am sure.

http://www.mollyeach.com/clips/annalemma2.pdf

Okay I know this a long shot and I know that the probability of this being the case are slim to none but has Jacob wetterling ever been compared to the greatful dead Jason doe? The only reason im throwing this out is because Jason is still not identified and if jacob was taken and kept alive could this possibly be him I know they look nothing alike but im keeping in mind that Jason face was badly destroyed in the wreck.

Okay I know this a long shot and I know that the probability of this being the case are slim to none but has Jacob wetterling ever been compared to the greatful dead Jason doe? The only reason im throwing this out is because Jason is still not identified and if jacob was taken and kept alive could this possibly be him I know they look nothing alike but im keeping in mind that Jason face was badly destroyed in the wreck.

I'm assuming Jacob's DNA and fingerprints are available. If they have any reason to believe it's him, I would think they could find out if he's a match???

re Dan's report.

I wonder where he had to go work as he is a teacher and there was NO SCHOOL the next day.

I wonder how he could see the color or anything of a car in a place where there are no lights. None. It was dark dark dark that night.

Before I buy into his story, I would like the answers to this

Have you ever tried to see a car in the dark?

Why would people park in his driveway to make out? Would you ? Really?

That road at the end had nothing but the cul de sac a ways down where Jacob lived.

If you wanted to make out, would you not park anywhere on the deserted road and not in someone's driveway?

[
I[QUOTE=human;8952460]re Dan's report.

I wonder where he had to go work as he is a teacher and there was NO SCHOOL the next day.

I wonder how he could see the color or anything of a car in a place where there are no lights. None. It was dark dark dark that night.

Before I buy into his story, I would like the answers to this

Have you ever tried to see a car in the dark?

Why would people park in his driveway to make out? Would you ? Really?

I have no problem believing that DR could tell the car was dark colored and small. The car's headlights would give off enough reflective light to tell that. However, I did find it a little questionable that he could see that there was a woman or a child in the passenger seat - let alone see a figure at all.

As far as work goes - it's quite common for teachers to have to work on days that are off for school children.

[

I have no problem believing that DR could tell the car was dark colored and small. The car's headlights would give off enough reflective light to tell that

Also, although the road and driveway leading up to the DR residence is completely dark, no street lights - I believe there was / is a yard light near the house - that would be enough to discern general size and color shade of a car turning around in the yard.

I remember the day very well. I am a retired teacher.

I do not think there was any school the next day, but I wish someone who knows for sure would identify that.

The next day was a Monday. Why was school off that day? Anyone know?

I live in the dark dark dark country as well. I wish other people would try the seeing in the dark. I must be strange as I cannot see a thing.

There was a yard light on? Why? Why would one have a yard light on when going to bed?

Were there motion detector lights back then? I think not, but I do not recall that many years ago as I have them now but do not know when we got them.

Interesting about the Teacher's conference. What exactly does that mean? I was a teacher in another district and we had school on Monday, so it would not be a state conference.

Another thing.

You have just kidnapped a child at gunpoint. You drive up a driveway to a farmhouse because why?

There was a major highway up the street where you would disappear into never never land.

Instead you go up a driveway? Really?

Interesting about the Teacher's conference. What exactly does that mean? I was a teacher in another district and we had school on Monday, so it would not be a state conference.

Another thing.

You have just kidnapped a child at gunpoint. You drive up a driveway to a farmhouse because why?

There was a major highway up the street where you would disappear into never never land.

Instead you go up a driveway? Really?

It would make more sense for the perp in a car to have turned around before the kidnapping. We know that the most likely scenario is the abductor knew the boys would be returning home in a few minutes, if the perp were in a car it would make sense for him to get the car into position for the quickest get away possible.

What still bothers me is the whole thing about the 2nd pole up the driveway, where Jacob's shoe prints dug in and there ended. The 2nd pole today, is about 2/3 of the way up the DR driveway. The 2nd pole in 1989 was about 1/3 of the way up. Crime scene photos show a pole just a few feet east of the road - that pole is not there today.

Either way, published reports state that Kevin turned around in the driveway, and I assume that means he drove in and backed out. If that's the case, Kevin's car would not have been near any pole except the one by the road - so I don't understand how LE could think the tracks by the foot print could be Kevin's?

Where is the info on the tracks being Kevin's?

Another thing about people making out in the driveway.

The driveway is really really long. How would he know what people were doing in the driveway and if there were people in the driveway?

Did he call LE every time someone came in the driveway or was it just this time?

I walk at night in an area that is dark. When a car comes by, my eyes are not adjusted to the light. It is most impossible to see if people have their brights on. Basically, I am blinded an cannot really see anything.

I also wonder about that making out in the driveway even more.

The driveway is really long and there is no way to see the end from the house.

If someone came down the driveway from the house, the car would be in the way. There would be no way to tell what the people in the car were doing as they would have warning. Same thing if the car was coming down the road.

All I can see is that someone would have to creep up on the car by foot to see what was going on.

I wonder if DR was out at night often?

This story makes no sense.

Where did the small car come from?

I thought Kevin was at the driveway when met by a cop.

I never heard about a GF being there before.

Strange

i'm curious why this joy and rassier are so upset with trish van pilsum? i saved the original transcript of that trish/rassier video interview in case it ever expired on the news site. dr himself says in it he went back to bed, he didn't want to waste his time. they refer to rassier as 'the man' in this interview because they had not labeled him yet as a person of interest. please excuse lack of caps, i'm typing left handed. transcript is below...

Transcript of 2004 trish van pilsum interview video:
It’s been nearly 15 years since Jacob Wetterling vanished near his St. Joseph home.
And he’s the man who says he has recently become a “suspect” in the Wetterling Investigation.
Stearns County authorities don’t use the word. That’s because of gaps early in the investigation. They haven’t been able to link him to the crime or rule the man out.
Trish Van Pilsum: “Did you have anything to do with Jacob’s disappearance?”
The Man: “I didn’t have anything to do with it.”
FOX 9 won’t identify this man because he hasn’t been arrested or charged. He lives near the abduction site. He was home alone on October 22, 1989. There is no one to confirm his whereabouts. Police questioned him the day after the abduction, more as a witness than a possible suspect.
The Man: “They needed to check me out. They said they had to check me out.”
They searched his car at work but not until later in the day.
The Man: “That morning when I left, I had a car full of …”
Trish Van Pilsum: “Boxes. Big boxes.”
The Man: “… and they never looked in my car. I mean it was that bad.”
They searched his property, too. But not until five days later.
The Man: “They didn’t come in the house that night. It could have been over with.”
Investigators, new to the case, agree important things were overlooked in the early days of the search. That there were just too many people and too many agencies involved.
More than 14 years passed. Why the renewed interest in this man now? The FOX 9 Investigators have learned that investigators now doubt one of the main theories of Jacob Wetterling’s disappearance. That theory: While Jacob, his brother, and a friend walked their bikes and scooter home from a convenience store, somebody got out of a car, grabbed Jacob, and fled in his car.
Stearns County investigators are steering away from the car, leaving their suspect on foot, and local. That fits with what the other boys said.
This is a copy of a statement Jacob’s best friend Aaron gave police.
[Investigator:] “Was there any vehicles or anything around at this point that you observed?” [Aaron Larson:] “Uh uh. Not that we could see.”
How did the car come into play? Remember the witness turned possible suspect? It was his account that placed a car at the scene that night. He said it turned around and sped away about the time Jacob disappeared.
The FOX 9 Investigators also have learned there was a car nearby that night. We found the driver. He is not a suspect.
Kevin: “It’s sad. It chokes me up. But what can I do. What could I have done.”
He’s a man in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Kevin: “I never came forward. I figured I didn’t have to.”
Kevin was 21 at the time. He heard something on the scanner. Saw a police car speed by his house. Curious, he tried to follow the squad. He was there so fast there was no police crime scene tape around the bikes and scooter yet. He drove away and told a police officer what he’d seen.
Kevin: “He said, yeh we know all about that. I know about the bikes. And that was it. It was like I was bothering him. We backed out and left and that was it.”
Trish Van Pilsum: “He didn’t take your name or phone number.”
Kevin: “He didn’t take my name.”
Trish Van Pilsum: “He didn’t ask, did you see a man lurking around?”
Kevin: “Didn’t ask me a thing.”
Nor, it appears, did the officer pass along his conversation with Kevin to investigators. It strikes the new investigators now working on the case 14 years later as strange. It also strikes them as a huge problem. In fact, investigators didn’t know about Kevin at all until this October [2003]. This came about because he met a federal marshal at a party who urged Kevin to talk to the lead investigator of the Wetterling investigation.
Kevin: “He was really shocked. ‘Cause after I told him who I talked to, what I seen, he couldn’t believe he didn’t know about me. In reality, I could have been the kidnapper and they never would have found me.”
In fact, of the thousands and thousands of pages of leads, none places Kevin at the scene around the time of the kidnapping. A source close to the case said they wasted 14 years looking for him.
Trish Van Pilsum: “Kevin, do you think, ‘Boy if my information didn’t get passed along, what else was missed?’”
Kevin: “Yes. Who else knows something about the case they might not think was crucial.”
Kevin even heard the police were trying to track down the car using tire tracks.
Kevin: “I was scared. I got really scared.”
Kevin expected police to come to him. They never did.
Trish Van Pilsum: “So if they couldn’t find you, what were the odds that they could find the kidnapper.”
Kevin: “Exactly. I think about that all the time. It’s sad. A young kid like that you know, 14 years.”
Why didn’t he go to the police? He figured he’d gotten to the scene after everything was over. He doubted he had anything to add. And he didn’t want to get caught up in the widening net of the Wetterling search.
Kevin: “I knew they were looking for someone and I didn’t want to be put in the position of being a suspect.”
Now investigators believe the car is accounted for. The investigation narrows to a small area surrounding the abduction scene. And, specifically on one man. One of Jacob Wetterling’s neighbors.
The Man: “I’m not worried. I’m thinking they’re going to figure out I couldn’t, I wouldn’t have been able to do something like that.”
Investigators questioned him as recently as two weeks ago, February 7th [2004]. They took a sample of his DNA. Five days later they questioned his family and searched his computer files at home.
The Man: “I just have to hope they make sense out of it and not wreck my life.”
Remember he is the witness who placed a car at the scene. Later that night he heard a commotion. It was the search and it was in his yard. He went back to bed.
Trish Van Pilsum: “Why would you go to bed when a kid had just disappeared?”
The Man: “I wanted to get some sleep. I wasn’t going to waste my time.”

Strange

human, in the transcript of the video from above you'll note kevin does say - 'We backed out and left and that was it.' so he may have indeed had his gf with him.

Strange

I think we've all been led to believe Kevin's discussion with the cop was at the driveway - it's certainly the conclusion I made when reading various reports. Part of the problem is journalists trying to get the stories written concisely and quickly, which means they're not always complete and accurate. Now we find out that Kevin spoke to the officer away from the scene of the abduction. I too always questioned how the track's by Jacob's footprints could have been Kevin's if he simply just turned around in the driveway. But now that we know Kevin actually drove all the way up to DR's house before he turned around, it makes sense that his tracks were there.

On a side note - after doing some research I found that Jacob's footprints stopped about 120' up the driveway. I now believe that spot is about where the 1st pole in DR's driveway is today - which would have been the 2nd pole back in 1989. I have seen some photo's indicating the footprints were further up the driveway than that.

As far as the small car - DR has always said the car he saw in his driveway at about the time of the abduction was a small car. He was quoted in the St Cloud Times saying so two days after the abduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14