MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to wonder if there is any evidence that the police are "holding back" from the public in order to sort through the "truths" of the crime. If so, maybe it's time to give that info to the public. I also have to wonder what the significance of "choosing" Jacob over the other boys was. The boys were all relatively close in age, what made Jacob the most desirable one? We're the other boys able to give any kind of approximate age and/or description of this person?

There is so little to go on, it's very frustrating when the public wants to help.

I'm not saying there is anything to this, but it's interesting that Jared, Jacob, and Joshua's names all begin with the letter J, and all 3 were kidnapped / abducted / gone missing on a Sunday. Granted, Joshua's disappearance was either late on a Saturday night or early Sunday, no one knows.

Hi,
I'm new here but have been following this case for a long time and have read all of the posts in the various threads. I have some theories.

I am interested in discussing the reflective vest that Jacob was wearing that night, because I think it could provide some insight as to what type of escape route the perp might have taken. The vest is reflective; it is meant to draw attention to someone working in a dark area. Some have argued that the perp might have escaped on horseback or travelled on foot with Jacob. If this is the case, why not have Jacob ditch the vest at the point of the abduction? The perp took the time to have the boys lie down and identify their ages. Demanding that Jacob leave the vest behind, right with the bikes, would have made sense if the perp was planning to travel a ways outside--either on foot, horseback, or whatever. This leads me to believe that the perp must have expected to get inside--whether into a car or a building--very quickly. The perp was not too worried about being seen. Maybe I'm making too much of this, but it's something new to consider.

Second, a man named Al Rassier was mayor of St. Joseph for many years, including at the time of the abduction. He was just defeated last November. Al is the same age as DR. Does anyone have any info on whether or not these two men are related? Cousins, perhaps? If a relative of DR was mayor at the time of the abduction, this might explain why LE was hesitant to "tear up" the family farm at the time of the abduction. I haven't been able to find a good answer to this question about a possible relationship between Al Rassier and DR.

Third, statement analysis of DR's recent interviews. I have been researching statement analysis of other famous cases, including JonBenet Ramsey and Lacey Peterson. There is a great website here http://www.statementanalysis.com/cases
One thing that I've picked up on is that repeated denials of guilt is often a sign of deception. For example, repeating the word "no" several times when asked whether or not one is guilty. DR does this in part I of his interview with Julie Nelson; he tells Nelson that he said "no, no, no" when Patty Wetterling asked him if he had anything to do with Jacob's disappearance. Here is the link:
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=875911&catid=396
Saying "I had absolutely nothing" is also a sign of deception, as the word "absolutely" is viewed as an attempt to convince listeners of something. Scott Peterson used the same kind of language.

Also, attempting to focus on the "real" killer or perp is another indicator of deception. Remember OJ Simpson insisting that he wanted to find the "real" killer? Scott Peterson did the same kind of thing when discussing his wife Lacey's disappearance. The URL above goes through these examples if anyone is interested. DR tends to emphasize that he wants to "help" with the case (at least now, 20+ years later) and he tries to focus on hope that Jacob might still be alive. Scott Peterson tries to do the same thing in many interviews he gave.

I'm not suggesting that any of this proves that DR is the perp, but his statements are very interesting and potentially revealing. He is the only person with reasonable means and opportunity to commit the crime, IMO. Look forward to discussing more.

This post from 2 years ago bears repeating. Very good points made, and that site with the statements analysis is quite interesting. The author is clearly quite opinionated. However, when you study the words used in DR's statements, it really makes you think!

The reflective vest still bugs me. *sigh*
Was hoping there would be a break in this case during the last search of the DR farm.

Excellent post about the words used!

I came across an old article from November 7, 1989 (located here:http://www.postbulletin.com/north-dakota-lead-in-wetterling-case-doesn-t-pan-out/article_03a635cc-ff85-5d67-b05e-e7d1a3e794a0.html)
The article contains info that places the strange guy who stared at people in local convenience stores at the Tom Thumb the night Jacob was abducted:

"Meanwhile, finding a man seen at a Minnesota convenience store shortly before Jacob was abducted after leaving the store remained a high priority for investigators, who have released a sketch of the man.

``We have been working diligently from day one to locate him,'' Gigler said Monday of the man seen Oct. 22 at the Tom Thumb store in St. Joseph and the Quik Mart store in nearby Avon.

``At both locations, he caused the patrons in the store to be concerned, based on his demeanor,'' Gigler said. ``He had a fierce look on his face, attempted to stare people down.''

The FBI sketch released Monday shows the likeness of a man in his 50s who is described as white, about 6 feet tall, about 200 pounds, with white hair and a receding hairline. The FBI said the man had a piercing stare.

The man is not the main suspect, Gigler said, but investigators have placed a high priority on finding him and talking to him.

Jacob, his younger brother Trevor and a friend biked to the Tom Thumb shortly before 9 p.m. Oct. 22 to pick up a movie video. The man sought by investigators was seen inside the store at 8:45 p.m. At 9 p.m., Gigler said, the man was seen standing outside the store by an ice machine. The man did not speak or make any purchases, witnesses told police.

At the Quik Mart in Avon, a young family left before making its planned purchases because of the man, Gigler said. The father saw the man follow his daughter.

``He quickly gathered up his family and drove out,'' Gigler said.

This is rather frightening. A known pedophile placing himself at the scene of Jacob's abduction just before it happened: http://www.behindthepinecurtain.com/wordpress/matthew-feeney-jacob-wetterling/
Matthew Feeney (re Jacob Wetterling)
Topics: Jacob Wetterling, Matthew Feeney
The night Jacob was taken I was returning from a Youth Group event and dropping off XXXXXX (who lived across from the Wetterlings) so we were by the 7-11 and drove down the Wetterling road within an hour (if not minutes) of the actual abduction. – Matthew Feeney (October 26, 2010)

wow!!! this is wild. the perp sketch has some similarities too...

Now, could DR be his friend or accomplice?

Welcome to Websleuths, SelTel! The photo of Feeney with a gun was a great find!

It's bewildering that Feeney (a pedo) would be so stupid to suddenly announce that he was at the scene of the abduction in a car MINUTES BEFORE IT HAPPENED.

He either has:
-ADHD and he frequently blurts out stupid lies or can't keep important secrets to himself (if he actually was near the crime doing something innocent), or
-attention-seeking behavior and he just (stupidly) HAD to put himself into the spotlight of this famous crime/ he wants the "fame", or
-a conscience that needed to indirectly confess.

In Jacob's case, the abductor/killer asked the boys their age. The sicko obviously had a certain age preference for some reason. Maybe that reason was sexual. It might have been another reason though.

Feeney's KNOWN victims' ages (9 and 15) show he's likely an ephebophile (interested in preadolescents and not small children). Jacob was 11 and he would have "interested" Feeney.

there are so many choices for pedophiles in that area.

The store was a Tom Thumb, however, and not a 7-11.

Thank you for posting this link - this is a great blog with a lot of info. Check out the "older" posts - there are several. Lot's of good photos and info here - and best of all - objective writing.

Agreed. I came across her blog a while back. It's good to see that people still care about finding Jacob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018