MN MN - Joshua Guimond, 20, Collegeville, 9 Nov 2002

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being new to sleuthing, I have a couple dumb questions I hope someone could clear up for me.

I know DNA is collected from prison inmates now and maintained in a database. Those results have been used to link some to previously unsolved crimes. I know unidentified remains have been found and go unidentified for years. Is there any kind of DNA database for missing people? I realize the DNA itself would (most likely) have to come from family members and I'm not even sure how conclusive it would be. It just seems if we could spend the money on testing prisoners, why not people who have been missing years? (This is more of a general question as I have not seen reports of any remains found which could be linked to Josh)

Secondly, I've been reading another case on WS where the family has good reason to doubt the LE finding of suicide in their family member's death. They were asked if they have requested reports from LE. Someone pointed out they should be available under FOIA. Is this true? If so, is it true only in a case LE has closed because I would presume Josh's case remains open? I'm asking if any investigative reports are available to Josh's family?

Being new to sleuthing, I have a couple dumb questions I hope someone could clear up for me.

I know DNA is collected from prison inmates now and maintained in a database. Those results have been used to link some to previously unsolved crimes. I know unidentified remains have been found and go unidentified for years. Is there any kind of DNA database for missing people? I realize the DNA itself would (most likely) have to come from family members and I'm not even sure how conclusive it would be. It just seems if we could spend the money on testing prisoners, why not people who have been missing years? (This is more of a general question as I have not seen reports of any remains found which could be linked to Josh)

Yes, the CODIS system that is used to link perps to previously unsolved crimes is also used to connect missing persons cases to unidentified decedent cases. Quite a few old missing persons cases have been resolved using the CODIS system.

FOIA - I'm not sure about police, but it's quite difficult to do. I have had different people I am in contact with try to get info for different kinds of things.

I wonder if the family has approached a news source to try to get the info?

LE might say that they need the info secret for prosecution in the future.

Thanks for the reply CarlK. I should have Googled my DNA question ... sorry about that.

Has anyone here been in contact with the family or their representive? That's a great idea Human .... about asking a news station to file a FOIA with LE to get any info available. Seems like it couldn't hurt to ask.

Just as a reminder, here is the website for Joshua, earlier posted by The Phantom and others.

http://www.findjoshua.com

It is heartbreaking to read the messages, but I think important for us to do so.

Click on: Message Board to the right. You can then View Mesages or Write your own message. If you want to read more, go to the arrows at the bottom of the page. There are over 400 posts.

such poignant and sad comments. If Immerfall is elected, maybe something will happen.

Yes, the comments are inspiring. I do not know the Guimonds or their friends; however, I am so impressed with their strength. In light of this, they remind me of a quotation from the Bible.

The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:28-31.

And also that song about being lifted on the wings of eagles, sung by Josh Grobin.

I think most people agree the key to finding Josh is located within the St John's University/Abbey community. What should our next step be?

To contact the family and/or rep ... perhaps we could start with what Josh's friends have to say about that night ... ?
Can we find any specific information about what Josh was researching on his computer? How long had he been involved in that research? Did he discuss what he was doing with any of his friends ?

Also, do we have a consensus about what we think of the track dog finding Josh's scent along with that of Chris Jenkins at the Abbey? I'm inclined to discount that myself ... as far as the Chris Jenkins connection goes. I think Josh's case is very specific and I feel it was related to the topics about St John's he had been researching.

Honestly, I really don't know what to do. I realize my suggestions are probably just things already done. I saw a thread here at WS about finding a reputable PI. There are some who will work within a family's means, some even pro bono. Maybe that would be useful in getting more information out. I'm just looking for a starting point. In the meantime, I'll just keep reading.

Maybe I've answered part of my own questions. From reading the messages on Josh's website, it sounds like the family is collecting donations to further their own investigation.

According to the posts by Josh's grandpa, the Sheriff's office will no longer take his calls or e-mails. I don't understand that at all. Josh is still missing. How can LE refuse to speak with the family?

Hello Mandy and all Websleuths who have an interest in the case of missing college student Joshua Guimond, who vanished from the campus of St. John's University on November 9/10, 2002 -- I wanted to alert you to the new website now up and running, which I believe was created in order to be independent from St. John's. The previous website was administered by the university, creating an obvious conflict of interest. If you feel led to further examine this case, all comments and insights are welcome. Please go to www.findjoshua.com. Your interest and help in Josh's case is deeply appreciated.

wow. I didn't know it was associated with the college. Good move to get off of there.

I don't know if anyone else has had any dreams/images received concerning Josh. I have never been to St. John's. However, I've been praying about finding Josh. I did not know if there was a bell tower. Lately, I've been thinking about a bell tower in reference to his disappearance. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have been feeling "uneasy" would put it mildly. Words such as "gears" and "matins" are among those I've been "getting" lately. For what it's worth.
----------

OK, so now, after I write this, I view the video posted by The Phantom. The bell tower is clearly highlighted. The background sound is clearly bells.

Maybe, I was "foreseeing" this video in my reception.

Regarding my last post, I just wondered if anyone else has been getting any images or words about Josh's case. It seemed like words related to either a clock or bell tower.

May be nothing, may be general, not sure.

Regarding my last post, I just wondered if anyone else has been getting any images or words about Josh's case. It seemed like words related to either a clock or bell tower.

May be nothing, may be general, not sure.

I don't get images, concentric, but here are some photos and links from St. John's that may help you..

There were 2 sets of bells at St. John's, the new dramatic banner and the the old bell tower in the abbey church. "Designed by architect Marcel Breuer, the Bell Banner, which dominates the front of the church, is 112 feet high and 100 feet wide, holds aloft the cross, and boldly announces the church. The cross was fabricated in Saint John's Woodworking Shop of white oak from local forests. The banner reflects sunlight into the north facade and holds the present bells, which replaced the bells from the old abbey church in 1989. The largest weighs over four tons."

I'm sure you've seen the virtual tour of St. John's campus, concentric. There's a map where you can click on individual buildings for a description and photo. This also gives you a good idea of which buildings were near where Josh walked before he went missing. http://virtualtour.csbsju.edu/

As far as a clock, The Quadrangle (The Quad) is the oldest building on campus and included a "devil's tower" skyway which connected it to a residential hall. In two of the photos at this link you can see clocks on the original towers of the quad.
http://www.csbsju.edu/SJU-Archives/SJUHistory/SJUBuildings/QuadrangleBuilding.htm

More info on the history with photos of other St. John's buildings here:
http://www.csbsju.edu/SJU-Archives/SJUHistory/SJUBuildings.htm

This circular stone arch is in the monk's private gardens - just in case this is what your seeing. (Don't mean to give you nightmares) ;-)
http://cdm.csbsju.edu/cdm4/item_vie...DMTEXT=&DMTHUMB=1&REC=2&DMROTATE=0&x=69&y=127

There also seems to be a system of tunnels there which I wasn't aware of: http://cdm.csbsju.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/SJUArchives&CISOPTR=91

Tunnels????? Wow!!

Right?? Maybe I watch too many movies. I'm wondering if they were just tunnels connecting the buildings underground for winter. I attended SCSU (St. Cloud State University) and there were tunnels there from dorms to the library, dining hall and main buildings, just so students didn't have to lug their coats around all winter.

Still, an alternate way to move about campus without being seen for someone who may have wanted Josh out of the way.

Right?? Maybe I watch too many movies. I'm wondering if they were just tunnels connecting the buildings underground for winter. I attended SCSU (St. Cloud State University) and there were tunnels there from dorms to the library, dining hall and main buildings, just so students didn't have to lug their coats around all winter.

Still, an alternate way to move about campus without being seen for someone who may have wanted Josh out of the way.

and the private little staircase to the monk's garden.

This case is so sad. It's too bad that the Abbey has been so obstructive.

So............there are several accounts of past abuse by these monks. Some of these monks are protected by the monk community (oh what a comfort). Money and influence play a large role.........

Josh just happens to be doing searches on his computer related to monks and sexual abuse and he just happens to vanish into thin air one night.........

The abbey is not searched right away because of refusal...........a month later it's "searched".

It is thought by some that dogs picked up Josh's scent and Chris Jenkins scent in that abbey ...........along with the odd connection with the Jacob Wetterling case.........

Josh has never been found.

Um...........abbey...........monks............males disappearing...........sexual abuse.......

Hello...............RED FLAGS. (It's also a little weird with the "J"'s.......Josh, Jared, Jacob, -Jenkins)

Hi,
I used to post here a long time ago on a different thread, but I have been on SFkillers.com, findjoshua.com and other similar sites since then. I have read the whole blog on findjoshua.com. It is heartbreaking what the family is going through. The obstacles, the uncooperation, the refusal to talk to his family by some of his roommates. One roommate actually moved to a different country a month after the disappearance, but moved back to the states. I think a student was in cooperation with one of the monks, a professor or resident monk (monks who live in the dorms WITH the kids). The campus computers are all on the same system. I am thinking that a computer savvy monk saw he was looking up statute of limitations on priest/monk abuse and asked his roommate to get him outside. One of the roommates (not sure which) majored in psychology. One of the restricted monks was a psychology professor. The monks "on restriction" can roam the campus freely, use cars to be out in the community. They just can't say mass or teach classes.

The stories of abuse from Fr Eckroth (I believe someone posted a link above) put a knot in my stomach. Josh's parents didn't even know there were restricted monks on campus.

Some reports say he disappeared walking back to his apartment after the gathering, the family's message board said that he accessed his key card to enter the apartment around midnight, but he left the party at 9. So, was he missing from the apartment or walking on campus? Did his roommates see him?

His family also says there was fake id processing info on his computer and someone after Josh went missing was deleting files from Josh's computer. (the police said they didn't find anything on the computer). The family is doing all this reasearch on their own. No help from Stearns Cty sherriff. Shame on them.
The police didn't question any monks right away, they didn't search the monks rooms, etc.
I am heartbroken that the family was treated like this. Josh was not a high risk candidate for a missing person.
Did you know that the "person of interest" in Jacob Wetterling's disappearance taught music at St Johns?
Someone at St John's knows a lot more than they are telling. It's time to give information to this poor family who has been suffering for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BadWiring