MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling they are going to say they mistook her phone for a gun

Pardon deedee21 what does this mean? Especially if you know whats going on in Australia.

Not Australian.....and don't even know why I am attempting to answer this.....but from what I understand (and I could be COMPLETELY off base here.....and if so, please correct me) Australia has taken a stance on immigrants and sharia law and (again from reading non-Australian news) basically said - assimilate or get out. To say that a Somolian LE officer (who grew up in the US) would know/care/take it out on Justine to me is a huge leap......MOO

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-...n/news-story/2d2486888c0c6d8fa1ca3d8f4bc7df91

"According to the Star Tribune, officer Mohamed Noor violated his department’s rules on the use of bodycams.
The Minneapolis Police Department’s Policy and Procedure manual says that any use of force requires the camera’s activation. If things change quickly and the officer is too busy, he or she should activate the camera “as soon as it is safe to do so”.

The cameras record a 30-second video buffer, a so-called “lookback” that allows officers to capture whatever happened in the half-minute before it’s activated."

BBM

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-18/justine-damond-why-was-mohamed-noors-body-cam-off/8721098

"The two officers broke the policy, not only when they didn't activate the body cameras before the incident, but also when they failed to do so after the use of force."

So....even if she caught them completely off guard as some have suggested and Noor feared for his or his partner's safety (so not saying this is what happened), and he shot her.....he had 30 seconds after the fact to activate his body cam and it would have still shown the shooting......interesting.......MOO

I don't think so much of our society have trouble admitting a cop is at fault. Maybe those who acquit the cop do but there's many riots and protests showing that many don't have problem admitting cops at fault.

Ha ha. The comments on here re people rioting. They are not giving kudos

I think they have to think like that because admitting it could happen to them is too much to deal with. Better to shut those thoughts down and blame the victims. That way they can feel okay and safe.

I think it is more than that. They think the scummy victims deserve it,They do not identify with them one bit

The horror! White women getting shot! All of the brown ones. So so many. Children . Did not matter. But a white woman!

Obviously this is your opinion, but I take offense to it......The HORROR is when an unarmed PERSON (or human as you may relate to) is shot and killed.....not during the comission of a crime....when posing no threat to anyone.....there have been MANY other instances where outrage has been expressed when a shooting isn't justified. I understand that because of tensions in the US the race card is likely to be played, but I hope that we can keep things above board and not insinuate that the only reason people are OUTRAGED by this is that Justine was white. MOO

One thing I thought was strange in this situation is that BOTH the cops were almost rookies. I am used to seeing new cops paired up with older more experienced ones. One had 2 yrs experience and the driver had only one.

I think that some of the bigger cities are having a harder time getting quality applicants for their academies. And there has been a drain, as many street cops have found other ways to make a living because of the strained situation.

I know there are bad cops, I am not a pearl clutcher. In fact, I think I might be looking at one in this particular case...:thinking:

This was an upscale neighborhood. When I went to visit friends in MN who lived in well to do neighborhoods, I never wondered about what side of the street to park on. There is year round alternate street parking. You change sides each week. Since I lived in the country where there is not the rule because no one parks on the street, I never knew which side of the street.

But if I went to a poor neighborhood, I knew I better park correctly or I would get a ticket cuz cops would patrol.

Now I live out of the US and met a super nice retired LA cop. He handled things in a different manner. He is extremely fit but very soft spoken . He was assigned to a very well to do area.

I understand that because of tensions in the US the race card is likely to be played, but I hope that we can keep things above board and not insinuate that the only reason people are OUTRAGED by this is that Justine was white. MOO

I don't think it's the only reason, but it certainly reinforces our country's history and general reaction to police shootings.

The amount of victim blaming in this thread is alarming.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-18/justine-damond-why-was-mohamed-noors-body-cam-off/8721098

"The two officers broke the policy, not only when they didn't activate the body cameras before the incident, but also when they failed to do so after the use of force."

So....even if she caught them completely off guard as some have suggested and Noor feared for his or his partner's safety (so not saying this is what happened), and he shot her.....he had 30 seconds after the fact to activate his body cam and it would have still shown the shooting......interesting.......MOO
Interesting about the 30-second video buffer:
Police officers must turn their body cameras on to record, but the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported they also "constantly record a 30-second video buffer, a so-called 'lookback' that allows officers to capture whatever happened in the half-minute before it's activated".
There has been no evidence that feature was used by the police officers either.

Without a weapon? How would you stop an assault? You wouldn't be afraid of being assaulted too? You're a brave woman.

Some of us don't think of a shoot out at the OK corral. I have confronted abusers in the past. One time when I did and then called the police and was talked to by a donut eating cop, I was so upset I called the domestic violence shelter to talk about how I felt I had put the woman in more danger cuz of the cop's attitude.

The worker told me to never confront an abuser because they will turn on you. I never thought about that. Abusive men to me are cowards. Cowards are dangerous .

If someone is screaming in an alley, dontcha think other neighbors would hear it?

Police can't control what the media reports or what the son and his father say to the media that the media repeats. But the Minneapolis police chief and Mayor have both made it very clear that an investigation is underway and they won't comment until they know more.

If they are in their house with the air conditioning going, probably not.

Not Australian.....and don't even know why I am attempting to answer this.....but from what I understand (and I could be COMPLETELY off base here.....and if so, please correct me) Australia has taken a stance on immigrants and sharia law and (again from reading non-Australian news) basically said - assimilate or get out. To say that a Somolian LE officer (who grew up in the US) would know/care/take it out on Justine to me is a huge leap......MOO
We have a ridiculous, politically motivated and heinous off-shore detention system for refugee boat arrivals, which is a big deal and rightly so BUT can distract from the fact that we have a huge immigration intake overall. We have a growing and harmonious Muslim population and we are more multicultural, less white and less christian than at any time since white colonisation and are all the better for it. I live in a very diverse area in Sydney and wouldn't have it any other way. There are definitely issues with whites, especially older whites, not wanting to face this reality. But Oz is less white every year. I've worked with Somali migrants here in Sydney and they're lovely and love it here- don't believe everything on the news. There is no expectation that migrants need to give up their culture if they live here, no matter how much some whites might wish it were so.

Just don't come by boat ...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Why do you think the police might end up pulling their weapons ? Have you seen the crimes stats in the inner cities?

It is hard to put all of the blame on the police officers when they are surrounded by hundreds of violent gang members , most of them armed.

Here are some crime stats for Minneapolis, last year:

http://www.startribune.com/statistics-show-minneapolis-violent-crime-edged-up-in-2016/409711555/

The city recorded 2,274 aggravated assaults — a crime category that includes shootings and is considered a key measure of how safe a city is — up from 2,051 the previous year. The number of homicides fell from 50 to 37 during the same period. Robberies also declined, but rapes and sexual assaults jumped more than 6 percent.

Meanwhile, arrests are down for every crime category except automobile thefts. Police made 8,963 fewer arrests in 2016 for crimes from homicide to arson, despite the rise in overall crime.

Observers speculate that the decline was caused by everything from the department’s embrace of a community policing model that emphasized public relations over cracking down to an apparent monthslong work slowdown in response to intense public criticism after the November 2015 shooting death of Jamar Clark during a struggle with two officers.

Police statistics show that of 340 people shot in Minneapolis through last week, 215 were on the city’s North Side. In 2015, there were 260 shooting victims citywide."

So 340 people shot in Minneapolis in ONE week----and we wonder why the cops might be quick to pull out their weapons when they are in a dark alley?

Since I am assuming you have no reason to know Minneapolis, the Northside is the land of poverty,

The number of people shot is not in one week. That is this year I am sure,

Now that Minnesota has concealed carry, cops do have to assume everyone is carrying. Special.

I don't think it's the only reason, but it certainly reinforces our country's history and general reaction to police shootings.

The amount of victim blaming in this thread is alarming.

Agreed 100%-very alarming..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads