MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's not enough information out there yet for me to call either party guilty or innocent.

unless she was acting erratic...even an attractive slim blonde can act threanening if she was acting unstable, suicidal or on drugs. Someone slip her drugs?

But then why would his own partner be 'stunned' that he shot her? If she was that scary/threatening, surely he would have noticed this too, and wouldn't have been 'stunned' at the actions of his partner. To me, that's one of the biggest reasons why I'm of the opinion that there's nothing justifiable about this shooting.

One thing I thought was strange in this situation is that BOTH the cops were almost rookies. I am used to seeing new cops paired up with older more experienced ones. One had 2 yrs experience and the driver had only one.

I think that some of the bigger cities are having a harder time getting quality applicants for their academies. And there has been a drain, as many street cops have found other ways to make a living because of the strained situation.

I know there are bad cops, I am not a pearl clutcher. In fact, I think I might be looking at one in this particular case...:thinking:
I agree with this and I think it's a big problem to put two inexperienced officers together. I listened to a hidden brain podcast recently (episode from June 5) about unconscious bias that said police officers actually do better than the general public on unconscious bias tests and that most of the problems with police shootings in particular happen when they get out of their procedures for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't think so, especially if you were the one who called them you might want to say "He's over there" or something.

You're in Australia, right? I was going to ask if you found it unusual.

eta: The last time I called the police (about a sick raccoon) I waited on my porch until they got out of their car.

I do not or would not go outside if I reported an attacker outside unless the attacker/burglar entered my home. Maybe, he did and she was fleeing ran directly towards the cops and was accidently shot? PTSD?

Nancy Coune, administrator at the Lake Harriet Spiritual Community in Minneapolis, said Damond came to Minneapolis about three years ago to be with her fianc?, and she had been teaching and speaking at the center for more than two years.

Damond's mother was Australian, and she spent her formative years there, but also spent some of her early childhood in the Buffalo, New York, area, said Peter Suffoletto, a cousin of Damond's father.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...ding-fatal-minnesota-police-shooting-48694394

Admittedly, and right, wrong or indifferent, in most officer involved shootings I tend to lean "pro cop" the majority of the time, but I also try to stay neutral until all the facts are given. I'm also fortunate that I haven't lost a loved one or anyone that I know at the hands of a police officer. If I was subjected to something of this nature I'm sure my mindset would be altered.

As far as this case goes, I'm having a hard time staying neutral while waiting for answers. For me, nothing adds up and it has absolutely zero to do with race.

The things that stand out to me the most are:
1) Rookie cops as partners in Minneapolis
2) Cameras not being turned on - really bothers me
3) Good neighborhood - low crime
4) One individual (not a group)
5) Victim was talking to officers at squad car window
6) Officer's partner was in line of fire

I'm a petite female, not trained in LE, non military, etc., and from the facts that have been given to us I would not have felt threatened. I can't wrap my thoughts around what could have possibly happened to make Officer Noor make the decision to shoot her?

yes, I would NOT go outside until an officer knocks on the door. (yes, I'm paranoid.)

I wouldn't either! Years ago, I would not have thought twice about even approaching a police officer or vehicle. I certainly do now.

And, imo, this speaks volumes and not in a good way. As one previous poster stated (I'm sorry I can't recall who but they were from AU), this woman was AU and would have felt perfectly safe approaching the officers. WE ALL SHOULD! They are charged with protecting the innocent, no? Something MUST change in this country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Admittedly, and right, wrong or indifferent, in most officer involved shootings I tend to lean "pro cop" the majority of the time, but I also try to stay neutral until all the facts are given. I'm also fortunate that I haven't lost a loved one or anyone that I know at the hands of a police officer. If I was subjected to something of this nature I'm sure my mindset would be altered.

As far as this case goes, I'm having a hard time staying neutral while waiting for answers. For me, nothing adds up and it has absolutely zero to do with race.

I'm a petite female, not trained in LE, non military, etc., and from the facts that have been given to us I would not have felt threatened. I can't wrap my thoughts around what could have possibly happened to make Officer Noor make the decision to shoot her?

It doesn't matter what could have possibly happened. All Noor has to do is say that he felt threaten for his life. If he says he felt threatened all is good. Justifiable use of force. Thats how it has been going down the last few years for those of us paying attention.

I do not or would not go outside if I reported an attacker outside unless the attacker/burglar entered my home. Maybe, he did and she was fleeing ran directly towards the cops and was accidently shot? PTSD?

IMO you can't accidently shoot someone multiple times....

Very sad.

One thing I don't understand, if either officer felt threatened, why were the cameras turned off?

THIS. EXACTLY. I'm not from the US, so I do still see the police as friend and not foe, but I am having a really hard time finding any fathomable reason how this shooting could be considered justified. Thanks for summing it up better than I could.....

I believe it has already been established that the cops were in violation of the department's rules for body cam use. The cams should have been turned on and would have recorded the event, even if turned on after the fact. The cops simply did not turn them on.

Correct - Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said both officers should have switched on their cameras when they were approached by Damond in the alley.

http://www.kare11.com/news/mpls-police-officer-who-shot-killed-woman-identified/457339023

Yep! I use my maiden name at work because it's still on my ID and keeps staff from finding me on facebook, where I use my married name.

I'm so disgusted by the implications being made on this thread... Illegally named immigrant... My eyes are rolling out of my head.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

RBBM - Same - WOW!!! :shame:

she's brave, I wouldn't walk outside during an assault in my pj's without a weapon. :(

I went outside and sat with a woman after I'd called the police on her boyfriend. He took off (because she called 911, he had no idea I'd called) and I didn't want her to have to sit alone on the porch in case he came back.

But when the cops pulled up neither one of us got up to meet them at the car. We sat and waited until they got out and walked up the path.

THIS. EXACTLY. I'm not from the US, so I do still see the police as friend and not foe, but I am having a really hard time finding any fathomable reason how this shooting could be considered justified. .
Most folks in the US see the police as an ally. Don't believe all the bad press they are getting.

It doesn't matter what could have possibly happened. All Noor has to do is say that he felt threaten for his life. If he says he felt threatened all is good. Justifiable use of force. Thats how it has been going down the last few years for those of us paying attention.

Sorry, but I disagree. It does matter and from what's been released so far nothing supports a justified feeling of threat. ZILTCH!!!

MOO

was the step-son home? if so where was he during the assault?
during the shooting? Did he witness or hear anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exam_Dumps