GUILTY MN - Kira Trevino, 30, St Paul, 22 February 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Paul Blume ‏@PaulBlume_FOX9 28s Jeffery Trevino sentenced to prison for 330 months.

Paul Blume ‏@PaulBlume_FOX9 2m BREAKING. Judge Castro tears into Jeffery Trevino for his callousness. Sentences him to 27+ years in prison. Stunned silence here.

Paul Blume ‏@PaulBlume_FOX9 56s Jeffery Trevino walked out of court. Looked back at his family. Someone said ," Jeff we love you." #Trevinotrial

Lindsey Seavert ‏@LindseySeavert 2m Judge Castro sentenced Jeffery Trevino to 27.5 yrs (330 months) in prison for unintentional in second degree of Kira Steger. @kare11

Justice!!

:rose: R.I.P. Kira :rose:

He is a monster. Noone - NOONE - deserves to die at the hands of another over rage, jealousy, spite, anger, or any other petty reason.

Thank you judge!! :gthanks:

Paul Blume ‏@PaulBlume_FOX9 31m Judge Castro believed Jeffery Trevino didn't set out to kill his wife Kira Steger. But the coverup absolutely was planned. "Cruel & selfish"

Paul Blume ‏@PaulBlume_FOX9 21m Prosecutors joined by Kira Steger family at post sentencing news conference. Pleased with 27+ yr sentence. pic.twitter.com/mD9akBebdl

Could someone give me the legal theory behind doubling a sentence because the defendant tried to hide his crime? Do you only get the normal sentence if you turn yourself in?

Could someone give me the legal theory behind doubling a sentence because the defendant tried to hide his crime? Do you only get the normal sentence if you turn yourself in?

I am not a legal eagle, but I do not think it is solely because he tried to hide his crime. It was and has been about his lack of remorse; his cruelty in not just "hiding" his crime, but his "abuse of a corpse". Although he was only convicted of 2nd degree, he certainly took his own pleasure in killing a woman he professed to love.

IMHO :moo: of course!

I am not a legal eagle, but I do not think it is solely because he tried to hide his crime. It was and has been about his lack of remorse; his cruelty in not just "hiding" his crime, but his "abuse of a corpse". Although he was only convicted of 2nd degree, he certainly took his own pleasure in killing a woman he professed to love.

IMHO :moo: of course!

I don't mean to argue with you, but I don't think "lack of remorse" entered in to the sentencing. I just never heard of this kind of sentence. I'm currently following the Anarae Schunk case. Her ex boyfriend is a poi in the case. Her body was found in a ditch with 20 stab wounds. If he is charged and convicted will his sentence double because he caused pain to her family by disposing of her body?

The article I linked above has been updated:

http://www.startribune.com/local/east/233333381.html

"Castro did not grant the defense’s earlier motion for acquittal. Castro also said there were aggravating factors, opening the door to the longer sentence.

Assistant Ramsey County Attorney Andrew R.K. Johnson requested the 30-year sentence based on aggravating factors prosecutors believe exist: Trevino didn’t provide medical aid to Steger, and he disposed of her body and didn’t tell anyone. Castro ruled that those aggravating factors did exist, meriting a prison sentence beyond state sentencing guidelines."

The article I linked above has been updated:

http://www.startribune.com/local/east/233333381.html

"Castro did not grant the defense’s earlier motion for acquittal. Castro also said there were aggravating factors, opening the door to the longer sentence.

Assistant Ramsey County Attorney Andrew R.K. Johnson requested the 30-year sentence based on aggravating factors prosecutors believe exist: Trevino didn’t provide medical aid to Steger, and he disposed of her body and didn’t tell anyone. Castro ruled that those aggravating factors did exist, meriting a prison sentence beyond state sentencing guidelines."

You get more time because in killing someone you didn't try to save them? Wow, that's unbelievable. Plus he disposed of her body and didn't tell anyone. That means he got 15 more years for not turning himself in.

snipped
"Trevino files appeal of conviction and sentence"
from WTAQ
Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:24 p.m. CST by Larry Lee
ST. PAUL, MN (WSAU) -- The story of the St. Paul Minnesota man convicted of killing his wife from Wausau isn’t over yet.

"Jeffrey Trevino was sentenced November 25th to 27-and-a-half years in a Minnesota prison for killing Kira Steger a year ago. Trevino is appealing his conviction and sentence"

http://wtaq.com/news/articles/2014/feb/14/trevino-files-appeal-of-conviction-and-sentence/

Kira Steger Trevino murder case featured on national TV show Thursday night
By Mara H. Gottfried | mgottfried@pioneerpress.com
PUBLISHED: February 1, 2017 at 5:13 pm | UPDATED: February 2, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Snipped:

That hope led Marcie Steger to take part in a national television show about her daughter’s murder, which airs Thursday night.

The Investigation Discovery channel’s “Ice Cold Killers” one-hour show this week is about the Kira Steger case from nearly four years ago.

304970_10151103410417872_40098534_n.jpg

http://www.twincities.com/2017/02/0...-featured-on-national-tv-show-thursday-night/

I am thoroughly disgusted by all the victim blaming in this thread.Glad justice was served and I wish the sentence was longer.

Paul Blume ‏@PaulBlume_FOX9 9m
Just spoke briefly to Kira father on way out of courthouse. Putting faith in jury. Feels heartbroken for both families. #TrevinoTrial

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Name Here
Back