Found Deceased MN - Madeline Jane Kingsbury, 26, mother of 2, Winona, 31 Mar 2023 *arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Prosecutor here - I practice in CA. I solely prosecute aggravated felony domestic violence, DV stalking, DV sexual assault, and DV criminal threats, so this is my specialty. This guy is a classic abuser and we are lucky he didn't pull a Chris Watts and didn't have a chance to pull a Josh Powell.

We do things differently here in CA. We do have a grand jury system but we rarely use it. We generally utilize it if, say, defense counsel is dragging their feet on a case, or if there is a lot of public scrutiny or attention around a case and we want to get it done quietly. We don't have to use it though so I could charge a first degree murder in this case without utilizing it like it seems like they have to do in MN. I'm hoping that they bring in the family members and friends who've witnessed the prior DV so that they have those elements necessary for murder 1. He's currently only booked on murder 2 but he isn't formally charged so I fully expect he will be formally charged with murder 1 ultimately.

my professional opinion only
I remember you from Heather Gumina's case. Thank you for chiming in here!

Finding Madeline Kingsbury

Written by Holly April, Madeline’s stepsister:

RAGE

Like many others, the emotions throughout this process have ebbed and flowed in terms of type and severity. They have come in waves; sometimes massive and crushing and feeling like I am drowning and sometimes a bit of numbness that feels calmer. Under the surface of them all has been a feeling of Rage. It has poked its head up sporadically and, until now, I’ve been beating Rage down like a perverse game of whack-a-mole.

But now Rage is raging. I cannot hold back the feeling of how severely angry I am that “someone” could be so spineless and have the audacity and selfishness to take Maddi’s life. I cannot comprehend how a human could take another human’s life, especially someone as kind and loving as Maddi. It’s disgusting, sickening, and particularly cruel.

With the details beginning to emerge regarding what Maddi endured, the Rage feels insurmountable. It also feels like I’m standing at a crossroad of two paths.

The first path is one where Rage eats at us and leads to self-destruction and despair. Here we land in the world of “should’ve, could’ve, would’ve, why didn’t I?”. And this, my friends, is a horrible place to be. This gives Rage a meek voice and ultimately serves to deflect Rage and blame away from the ONLY person responsible for their actions.

The second path is one where Rage is used as a catalyst for igniting the spark that will lead us to light a fire in our bellies. This fire will grow and burn higher and hotter and will itself Rage. This path will give Rage a loud and resolute voice that screams “ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!”. Not just for Maddi, but for the countless other young women enduring the same plight that Maddi faced. It is this path and resounding voice that I believe will lead towards the place of justice for Maddi.

Justice will never bring Maddi back, and so at times it feels hollow, but it is the best way we can continue to fight against the evil that ultimately took her young and beautiful life. The facts have and will continue to speak for themselves. They will pile together and amass beyond any reasonable doubt. I believe in my heart that the coward responsible will be held accountable. First here as he faces our human-constructed justice system and ultimately when he faces our Maker who will enact eternal justice.
#justiceformaddi

1686443564004.png

Thank you, glad to read that line in the statute.

I understand that only a grand jury can indict the murder 1. What I’m not clear on is if they anticipate involving the grand jury in this case, or if they will only try for M 2. When I read the prosecution’s response I didn’t feel like their was clear intent to enact the grand jury. But maybe it was too subtle for me!

MOO
I think the prosecutor was clear when she said "this is still an open & active Law Enforcement investigation and we have just started our prosecution". The Omnibus Hearing is scheduled for July 20th, a full thirty days from now.

Both LE and the Prosecutors Office will be very busy putting together all the pieces of the investigation, now that Maddi has been found. Hopefully @riolove77 will chime in on your specific question. I personally feel there's no way they won't go for 1st Degree Murder charges.

Last edited:

Adam Fravel moved to Olmsted County Adult Detention Center​

Published: Jun. 11, 2023 at 1:57 AM BST|Updated: 2 hours ago

ROCHESTER, Minn. (KTTC) – Adam Fravel, the former partner of Madeline Kingsbury, was charged with two counts of second-degree murder with intent/not premeditation on Friday has been moved to the Olmsted County Adult Detention Center.

As of Saturday, his name and picture showed on the jail’s roster. According to the roster, he is there to be lodged for Winona County.

Fravel appeared in court Friday morning where a judge set his bail at $2 million without conditions or $1 million with conditions.

According to the Winona County Jail website, it’s under construction and there is limited space.

... the prosecution has:

__x__ Evidence against the defendant obtained as a result of a search, search and seizure, wiretapping, or any form of electronic or mechanical eavesdropping.

__x__ Confessions, admissions, or statements in the nature of confession made by the defendant.

__x__ Evidence against the defendant discovered as a result of confessions, admissions, or statement in the nature of confessions made by the defendant.

__x__ Employed the following identification procedures during it's investigation:
  • _____ Lineup
  • __x__ Other observations of the defendant
  • __x__ The exhibition of photographs of the defendant or any other person
  • __x__ Others

Last edited:
I'm trying to think of a feasible reason that someone would have a "knotted towel" laying around the house, that in a moment of extreme anger, is used to choke the mother of your children. Is having a knotted towel on hand a MN thing? Anyone else on here have a knotted towel hanging around the house? What use is a knotted towel? You can't dry much with a knotted towel. I suppose the towel could have been prepared to be tie-dyed, however, in the home of people preparing to move I doubt much tie-dying was happening. Perhaps my imagination is on strike, but aside from tie-dying I can't come up with a reason to knot a towel. Thus, my mind can only conclude that the towel was knotted with forethought, allowing for a better grip when used as a weapon. Hence, premeditation. JMHO.

I'm trying to think of a feasible reason that someone would have a "knotted towel" laying around the house, that in a moment of extreme anger, is used to choke the mother of your children. Is having a knotted towel on hand a MN thing? Anyone else on here have a knotted towel hanging around the house? What use is a knotted towel? You can't dry much with a knotted towel. I suppose the towel could have been prepared to be tie-dyed, however, in the home of people preparing to move I doubt much tie-dying was happening. Perhaps my imagination is on strike, but aside from tie-dying I can't come up with a reason to knot a towel. Thus, my mind can only conclude that the towel was knotted with forethought, allowing for a better grip when used as a weapon. Hence, premeditation. JMHO.
My thought was more that he came up behind her wrapped the towel around her neck, knotted it and then pulled. Sorry for the graphic description I couldn't find any other way to describe it.

DBM - In ref to post# 610. Evidently the form is common in felony cases, checking the boxes means if they do obtain that kind of evidence in the future - notification has been made and they don't have to go back and refile. MOO~

Last edited:
<modsnip: quoted post was removed> Prosecutor Phillip Prokopowicz said that during the course of the investigation, Fravel “mocked police officers, he exposed himself to police officers, he made flippant remarks to police officers.”

Last edited by a moderator:

“As deeply as we grieve, there’s so much love to fill that.” Winona community gathers to honor Madeline Kingsbury​

Published: June 11, 2023 - 3:21 AM

It was an emotional gathering, on a somber Saturday.

“As deeply as we grieve, there’s so much love to fill that, too,” Arden Heath, a longtime friend, said quietly. “I feel it’s overflowing, honestly.”

Friends, co-workers, and many from the Winona community came together at the Witoka Tavern to honor Madeline Kingsbury, known to her loved ones as Maddi.

“We started this journey over two months ago, not knowing what to expect,” explained Holly Stamschror. “Missing our friend, but knowing she’s gone forever. It’s a very hard concept to grasp.”

“It takes my breath away and it’s a testament to how much of an impact she’s been, just on our community — and how the community is willing to step up,” Heath added.

[...]

“People don’t go missing here,” said Heidi Olson, who organized this gathering. “So, when something like that does, the community just bonds together.”

As they did this day.

Dozens of people appeared for a silent and a live auction — and a raffle for kids — all to help pay legal fees and care for Kingsbury’s children.

Organizers say there were a lot more people showing up than they expected.

Many were wearing T-shirts with the words ‘We will remain loud.’

That motto is a kind of vow — to keep the criminal case and Madeline’s memory in the public eye.

“So many missing person cases get forgotten,” Stamschror explained. “We stuck to that, saying because we didn’t want anyone to forget that she was gone, and we needed to find her.”

This get-together was also a way to help the community heal.

“We wanted people to have a place to come to and mourn, grieve, share memories, and stories of Maddi,” Stamschror said. “And have a fun way of raising money for the children.”

“This has pretty shocked and horrified the community and people here have been trying to show support in every way possible I think,” noted Adam Muschler, from Winona. “I think we’re really just at the first steps of hopefully some amount of healing.”

Organizers hope to raise about $50,000.

Kingsbury’s children, aged two and five, are now staying with her parents.

“They’ve handled themselves with grace and better than I ever could have,” Olson said. “They’re a great family.”

You could see Kingsbury’s face on T-shirts, buttons and on posters.

But you could feel the love for her everywhere.

“We’re all grieving and mourning very differently,” Stamschror said. “Because I have been helping with this, I haven’t had the time to really process that I’ll never see my best friend again.”

A celebration of Kingsbury’s life — and a vow to always support, love, and hope.

“She was getting her master’s degree and had two beautiful children and a whole life ahead of her,” Olson said. “Now that she’s brought home, it’s time for justice and she deserves that, her family deserves that, the community deserves that.”

Finding Madeline Kingsbury

1f499.png
THANK YOU
1f499.png

Thank you everyone who was able to come and support Maddi and her two children (5 and 2) at the benefit yesterday. We had an amazing turn out with hundreds of people. I can happily say we made over $35,000! All proceeds will be set aside for the children’s needs, present and future.

[...]

Again we can not thank everyone enough for the support and generosity you have shown these last two months.

Unfortunately the fight is not over. Now we must fight to find Justice for Maddi.

Thank you!
#Justiceformaddi

Prosecutor Phillip Prokopowicz said that during the course of the investigation, Fravel “mocked police officers, he exposed himself to police officers, he made flippant remarks to police officers.”

I am surprised that he was not arrested and charged for this behavior.

It may be that I'm just a weirdo, but I had a couple of knotted hand towels for kittens and puppies to play with and gnaw on.
My guess is, he placed the knot strategically over her wind pipe and twisted from behind.

REVEALED: Body of missing mom Madeline Kingsbury, 29, was wrapped in a gray fitted sheet that had been sealed with Gorilla tape - as cops say it matched roll found at home she shared ex-boyfriend now charged with murder​

• Madeline Kingsbury's body was found off Highway 43 on June 7
  • Remains were found wrapped in a fitted sheet that matched ones at her home
  • Her body was discovered just miles away from where ex Adam Fravel grew up
1686615878864.png
Kingsbury's remains were found in a remote area off of Highway 43 near the home where Fravel was raised

Police say there was a 45-minute gap in Fravel's timeline and that they believe that is the time the ex-boyfriend used to dump the body.

[...]

According to the complaint, he has denied involvement in Kingsbury's death. Following his arrest, his bail was set at $1 million.

He has been ordered to appear at all upcoming court dates, abstain from drugs and alcohol, and not contact Madeline's family

Fravel will next appear in court on July 20.

Maddi Kingsbury's parents file motion to suspend Adam Fravel's visitation and contact with his and Maddi's kids​

The Kingsburys also indicate they plan to file a petition to terminate Fravel's parental rights, after he was charged with murdering Maddi.

f72a931d-15da-4da2-b4f0-ef1858fd70b8_750x422.jpg

Author: Lou Raguse
Published: 5:48 PM CDT June 12, 2023
Updated: 5:48 PM CDT June 12, 2023

WINONA, Minn. — The parents of Maddi Kingsbury, who have been caring for her two children since her March 31 disappearance, have now filed a motion asking a judge to immediately suspend any and all contact between the children and Adam Fravel.

Fravel, Maddi's ex-boyfriend and father of the two kids, was charged on Friday with 2nd-degree murder.

"He is suspected to be the one who ripped these children's mother away, forcing them to live a life without her presence. It is absolutely not appropriate or in the children's best interests for Mr. Fravel to have any access to them, even supervised," attorney Anna Tobia wrote on behalf of David and Cathy Kingsbury.

Visitation rights became an issue on Friday during Fravel's bond hearing, when Judge Mary Leahy, who is also presiding over the child protection case, deferred to her CHIPS ruling regarding custody. In short, if Fravel posts bail, he would be allowed supervised visits with the kids just as he has been before the murder charge.

The Kingsburys argue that "there is every reason to believe he would flee with the children."

"Mr. Fravel has been hostile towards law enforcement, including making lewd comments, exposing himself and actively attempting to redirect their attention while they searched for Madeline Kingsbury," Tobia wrote.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back