DNA Solves
DNA Solves

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Nov 17 2016, 11:29 am ET

Minnesota Mom Sues Her Trans Child Over Gender Reassignment

by Mary Emily O'Hara

A Minnesota mom filed a lawsuit Wednesday against her 17-year-old transgender daughter, along with county health boards, a school district and local health care nonprofits.

"It was brought to my knowledge that my son (sic) began receiving hormone replacement treatments from Park Nicollet Health Services to transition from male to female, with medical assistance paying for this," Anmarie Calgaro told reporters in a St. Paul, Minnesota court. "I was not consulted or informed about this in any way."

In a video of the press conference posted to Facebook, Calgaro and attorney Erick Kaardal repeatedly refer to the teen in question as male—despite a doctor's letter included in the complaint that states the teen "has had appropriate, permanent clinical treatment for transition to the new female gender."

Calgaro's lawsuit challenges a Minnesota law that allows minors to access medical care and procedures without the consent of their parents...

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...-trans-child-over-gender-reassignment-n685266

wow, this one's interesting. Can not even imagine the precedent it may set.

I can't imagine anything my kids could do to make me sue them, but especially not getting medical treatment. From reading more about this "mother", the girl is better off cutting all ties. FGS, it's hard enough being a teenager, let alone LGBT, but your mother is supposed to be the one person who loves you unconditionally. This makes me so angry.

Are you freaking kidding me?! This is ridiculous and cruel.

In a video of the press conference posted to Facebook, Calgaro and attorney Erick Kaardal repeatedly refer to the teen in question as male

^So it's no surprise she kept it from her mother. Doesn't sound like she's supportive at all. :(

I'm still trying to figure out who paid for the surgery. Where does an emancipated and at-the-time 15- or 16-year-old get that kind of money?

Don't understand the parent suing the child unless its because she had to in order to go after whatever adults are helping CHILD with this. IF this started when child was 15, that is an issue for me. NOT that they want gender reassignment, or to identify as male/female.. but the age and what should be allowed to be PERMANENTLY altered at that age. There have been so many debates here on WS on whether a CHILD is responsible for their actions at 14/15/16/17. A 17 yr old gets in trouble with the police or treated like an adult in criminal cases, and people SCREAM "they are still a child, their brain is not developed, they can't make the right decisions'. Then you have thiis where its exactly the opposite. Saying they can make their own decisions, they know how they feel, etc. You can't have it both ways. Each situation is different, and each CHILD is different, but for maturity sake, to make a LIFETIME decision, I feel ANYONE is too young for the perm. altering surgery etc. JMO And as Aeronomy stated above... where is the money coming from? Its elective, not life threatening, I don't see insurance paying....something isn't adding up. And just as an aside. I think 15 is too young for breast implants, liposuction, elective plastic surgery etc... Kardashian style.

So the mother didn't care about her child until someone reached out and tried to take advantage of the situation:

Calgaro is being represented by the Thomas More Society, a public interest law firm that is known for litigating cases that involve antiabortion and religious liberty causes, including representation of the man who attempted to buy human organs in an attempt to frame Planned Parenthood, reported NBC OUT, which is part of NBC News.

Before that:

The letter, from Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid, declared the teenager legally emancipated under state law in June 2015 due to “conduct by the parent in giving up control and custody of the minor.”

At that time, the teenager told Legal Aid she had been living separately from Calgaro for at least six months and was working two jobs to financially support herself while enrolled in high school and college courses. Calgaro, the teen claimed, knew where her daughter was staying but “made no attempts” to bring her home, contact her or report her as a runaway to authorities.

IMO the Thomas More Society is just taking advantage of the situation. I wonder how they convinced her to go along with the lawsuit? I think they are less concerned about Calgaro and her daughter and more concerned with taking rights away from transgender people. This is just another stepping stone to them.

Normally I would totally agree with that, a minor is too young to undergo a permanent life-altering operation without parental consent. But it sounds like she was the adult in this instance. She was supporting herself with two jobs and going to school. Her mother was not interested in a relationship for whatever reason, until she thought she could get some money out of it.

Don't understand the parent suing the child unless its because she had to in order to go after whatever adults are helping CHILD with this. IF this started when child was 15, that is an issue for me. NOT that they want gender reassignment, or to identify as male/female.. but the age and what should be allowed to be PERMANENTLY altered at that age. There have been so many debates here on WS on whether a CHILD is responsible for their actions at 14/15/16/17. A 17 yr old gets in trouble with the police or treated like an adult in criminal cases, and people SCREAM "they are still a child, their brain is not developed, they can't make the right decisions'. Then you have thiis where its exactly the opposite. Saying they can make their own decisions, they know how they feel, etc. You can't have it both ways. Each situation is different, and each CHILD is different, but for maturity sake, to make a LIFETIME decision, I feel ANYONE is too young for the perm. altering surgery etc. JMO And as Aeronomy stated above... where is the money coming from? Its elective, not life threatening, I don't see insurance paying....something isn't adding up. And just as an aside. I think 15 is too young for breast implants, liposuction, elective plastic surgery etc... Kardashian style.

Normally I would totally agree with that, a minor is too young to undergo a permanent life-altering operation without parental consent. But it sounds like she was the adult in this instance. She was supporting herself with two jobs and going to school. Her mother was not interested in a relationship for whatever reason, until she thought she could get some money out of it.

Exactly! Her daughter was declared legally emancipated in June 2015 and:

That, Legal Aid determined, made the teen “legally emancipated,” even though there was no court order. The designation would automatically qualify the teen for health care through social service programs, allowing her to make medical decisions — even elective ones — without parental consent.

Where was she for all those months?

The huge concern I have is with hormones at that young age. The body is going through huge transitions. That is why I think teens should wait. Hormones are very powerful things

I'll agree... mom should not get ANYTHING out of it. And i haven't read the entire file before i had posted.... but i read that son/daughter moved in with father, then ran away. And it didn't sound like it had been all that long. If said child really was living on her own, working and going to school... absolutely should be emancipated... but parent SHOULD have been told court did it... Thats where i'm a bit confused.

Jan 26 2017, 8:47 am ET

Mom Sues Transgender Daughter: Oral Arguments to Begin in Minnesota Case

by Mary Emily O'Hara

Oral arguments are set to begin Thursday for the lawsuit of a Minnesota woman who is suing her transgender teen daughter along with a variety of local school and health agencies.

Anmarie Calgaro's lawsuit alleges that healthcare providers treated her 17-year-old as an emancipated minor without her consent when the teen began receiving transgender medical and mental health services.

While the lawsuit centers largely on the state's lack of a clearly defined legal process for emancipation, Calgaro's unnamed teen daughter earlier told Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid attorneys that her mother had "made it known to him [sic] that she no longer wishes to have any contact with him," according to court documents...

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...se-mother-suing-her-transgender-child-n712396

Jan 26 2017, 3:03 pm ET

Minnesota Transgender Teen Sued By Her Own Mom Speaks Out

by Mary Emily O'Hara

On Thursday morning at a U.S. District Court in St. Paul, Minnesota, an improbable case began to unfold. As a courtroom full of about 20 people looked on, Anmarie Calgaro's attorneys explained why the small-town mom from the state's northernmost "Iron Range" is suing her own 17-year-old child.

The teen in question—referred to as "E.J.K." in court memos—says she's been living on her own for two years. After the minor worked with a legal aid group on an emancipation statement, she began to seek transgender-specific medical care at a local clinic.

When the teen's estranged mom discovered E.J.K. had begun to receive gender transition-related care, she tried to intervene—but said she was surprised to discover her parental rights had been effectively terminated. In November, Calgaro filed a lawsuit against her daughter, health clinics and county agencies...

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...nder-teen-sued-her-own-mom-speaks-out-n712616

The huge concern I have is with hormones at that young age. The body is going through huge transitions. That is why I think teens should wait. Hormones are very powerful things

This would bother me, hormones are all over the place at that age, this is something a teen should be very sure about.

Exactly! Her daughter was declared legally emancipated in June 2015 and:

Where was she for all those months?

I don't think legal aid has the authority to declare a minor emancipated. That is for a judge to decide.

Which means, like it or not, she was still under the authority of the mother, and hence the mother's permission would have been required.

I don't think legal aid has the authority to declare a minor emancipated. That is for a judge to decide.

Which means, like it or not, she was still under the authority of the mother, and hence the mother's permission would have been required.

Minnesota does not have a legal process for the emancipation of minors. But the law makes it clear that minors who aren't living at home are essentially considered adults when it comes to medical care: "Any minor who is living separate and apart from parents ... and who is managing personal financial affairs, regardless of the source or extent of the minor's income, may give effective consent to personal medical, dental, mental and other health services, and the consent of no other person is required."

There are good reasons for starting treatment early and there are screening processes a person must go through. I have no postable words for what I think of this parent and her lawyers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dylanfoxx
Back