MN - Philando Castile, 32, shot by police officer, 6 July 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was taught what to do in driver's ed and I've had the question since then on driving tests. Not sure if there are national standards for driver's ed

Not in NC. My kid went through driver's Ed last year and nothing about that was taught, or in the book. (I read the book). I had to take the NC driver 'written' test because mine had expired for too long after moving to NC, and nothing was in the test or booklet provided about traffic stops other than to pull off to a safe place.

I was taught what to do in driver's ed and I've had the question since then on driving tests. Not sure if there are national standards for driver's ed

In my life I've used what I learned in drivers ed, what my father told me to do and common sense when dealing with LE officers. It has worked quite well.

I do not think anyone is insinuating because he got x amount of tickets = good riddance. However there is probably much more to this than what we have seen in the aftermath video. I know they did not have body cameras, just hoping there is adequate dash cam video. Her video as painful as it might be, does nothing to show what led
up to that point which is crucial.

Well, barcode, I watched her entire taping on FB that she begins when they are initially stopped. Maybe she recorded it because she knew that they were busted for the armed robbery and not because she thought a possible drawdown would occur. Perhaps the original edition has been shortened since?

Thank you, for posting the link to the photos, SophiaRose. They are the same ones that I've seen. I've read the dispatch report. The officer never mentions a busted tail light. Instead he describes the occupant in the vehicle that fits the description of a recently reported armed robbery where cash and Newport cigs were stolen. The snopes jpg matches the officer's physical description of the suspect given to dispatch. Perhaps, just maybe, Castile had his gun on his lap, or on the seat between his legs, because he had just robbed a local store. It is also possible that if he did perform the robbery that his girlfriend was unaware of it. :dunno:

I cannot put much validity into the girlfriend's words as she is taping since the officer never mentions the tail light. She holds herself together until placed into the back of the police cruiser. As her phone battery weakens, she admits they also had "weed" in the vehicle. Her tiny daughter tells her mother not to be upset that "I'm with you" but not in that precise vernacular. The mother placed her own child's life and mental health in jeopardy. The police officer did not do that.

There was an officer on each side of the car because they assumed that they had potentially found the armed robber. This stop was never about a busted tail light. Please listen to or read the transcript of the dispatch record.

:blue: :cow:

Well, barcode, I watched her entire taping on FB that she begins when they are initially stopped. Maybe she recorded it because she knew that they were busted for the armed robbery and not because she thought a possible drawdown would occur. Perhaps the original edition has been shortened since?

Thank you, for posting the link to the photos, SophiaRose. They are the same ones that I've seen. I've read the dispatch report. The officer never mentions a busted tail light. Instead he describes the occupant in the vehicle that fits the description of a recently reported armed robbery where cash and Newport cigs were stolen. The snopes jpg matches the officer's physical description of the suspect given to dispatch. Perhaps, just maybe, Castile had his gun on his lap, or on the seat between his legs, because he had just robbed a local store. It is also possible that if he did perform the robbery that his girlfriend was unaware of it. :dunno:

I cannot put much validity into the girlfriend's words as she is taping since the officer never mentions the tail light. She holds herself together until placed into the back of the police cruiser. As her phone battery weakens, she admits they also had "weed" in the vehicle. Her tiny daughter tells her mother not to be upset that "I'm with you" but not in that precise vernacular. The mother placed her own child's life and mental health in jeopardy. The police officer did not do that.

There was an officer on each side of the car because they assumed that they had potentially found the armed robber. This stop was never about a busted tail light. Please listen to or read the transcript of the dispatch record.

I'd be willing to bet money that's his belt, not a gun.

If he did the robbery, it was not that day. However, snopes has identified that robbery stuff re Phil as BS.

There is no identification that he has a gun in his lap. None.

The robbery suspects were both males. Not sure how Lavish would fit into that.

She was told to kneel on the ground and was handcuffed. Her phone fell on the ground and kept recording.

the robbery was days prior.

and are you claiming to have seen a video that starts before the shooting? is that what you are saying?

I have see her whole video as well, many times over, HOWEVER, it does not start when they were initially pulled over, she starts after he has already been shot....but hey if you have seen video prior to PC being shot, I suggest you call authorities asap because no one else has.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/32407368/2016/07/09/just-in-lawyer-minnesota-cop-reacted-to-gun-not-race
I will correct myself and say that the article says the presence of the gun (IMO that means visible) it does not say it was on his lap. I also get the impression from the girlfriends own statement that I posted above.

ETA: There are only words on both side at this point nothing is conclusive IMO.
Again my biggest question is about the gun, and how it appeared. It is not a statement of anything else, other than in my mind it is important to know.

I believe "the display of that gun" is a flat-out LIE from the officer involved, trying to save himself from a murder charge.

I have see her whole video as well, many times over, HOWEVER, it does not start when they were initially pulled over, she starts after he has already been shot....but hey if you have seen video prior to PC being shot, I suggest you call authorities asap because no one else has.

Seriously, where is this video that starts from the moment of the stop?
And that robbery was, indeed, days before.
Barcode, thank you for your input.

Looks too shiny to be a belt, IMO.

I see him with about 3 different belts in his FB pics. One with a white dress shirt and black pants has a belt that may match what looks like a belt in the pic.

Seriously, where is this video that starts from the moment of the stop?
And that robbery was, indeed, days before.
Barcode, thank you for your input.

I have seen a lot of members post and most seem to say the same things, they are polite, not confrontational when talking to LE. I am not suggesting otherwise about PC

With him being sited/pulled over 52, and I have seen as high as 66 times over basically 16 years. Most people learn from their mistakes. it seems like PC had no respect for laws whatsoever. I think if you get caught without insurance once or twice, you go ahead and get it, but apparently he never did. I can see where he would be upset and even possibly cop an attitude for being pulled over again. Perhaps he was cordial and handled himself well, that would be something that there will be record of, other officers will know how he responded when pulled over

I have seen more video AFTER from his girlfriend the following day, she says she was at police station til 5 am, I believe she was but that seems like a long time as it was still daylight when this happened. As for the officer, he probably is covering his ***.

We may not be seeing honesty from both sides, this is far from what happened in Baton Rouge, in that case clearly we see video leading up to AS being not only tased twice but shot instantaneously after being issued a warning with no time to heed that warning and appears to be in control of the two officers, I have seen other posters claim he had one arm free, that I am not sure of.

If you watched the 'entire' video from the commencement of the traffic stop, please enlighten me as to what was said and done and by whom. TIA

I see him with about 3 different belts in his FB pics. One with a white dress shirt and black pants has a belt that may match what looks like a belt in the pic.

I don't believe it to be a belt. It looks like an object of some sort. Anyhow, police know what it was.

I don't believe it to be a belt. It looks like an object of some sort. Anyhow, police know what it was.

True...and I'm about 99% sure that if it had been a gun, they would have announced that ASAP to shut everyone up.

After following a few of these cop shootings threads on WS I observe that the majority of people are very eager to find a justifiable reason for the dead person to have been killed.

We all grew up believing cops would never shoot someone unless it was the absolute last option they had to protect themselves or someone else. So it's hard to believe that there really are cops out there who really are racist, or maybe just plain mean, and look for the fastest reason to be able to kill someone.

If it wasn't displayed wouldn't that be considered carrying a concealed weapon and be against the law? Not sure at all about gun laws. ....

sbm^. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Minnesota, info re MN laws re handguns.
IIUC from info below & what I've read about his traffic citations, Mr Castile may have been eligible to get MN Carry Permit and again, IIUC, ad if he had MN Carry Permit, he may have lawfully been lawfully carrying handgun w him in car. JM2cts.

"Carry permits issued? Yes.
Shall Issue. Minnesota Permit to Carry a Pistol required to carry handguns. Concealment is permitted but not required."
"Restrictions
  • Must be at least 21 years of age and a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
  • Must complete an application
  • Must not be prohibited from possessing a firearm under Minnesota Statute 624.714 (Criminal background & mental health history check)
  • Must not be listed in the criminal gang investigation system
  • Must be a resident of the county to which one is applying for a permit, if you reside in Minnesota. Non-residents may apply to any Minnesota county sheriff.
  • Must present evidence of training in the safe use of a pistol. (Training completed within one year of an original or renewal application. – 624.714, Subd. 2a)"

See also MN statute https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.714

JM2cts ^, could be misinterpreting & wrong.

"State Permit to Purchase?
Permit to purchase required to transfer/purchase ... handguns through FFL dealers."
<---Fed. firearms dealers.
"There are private seller regulations in Minnesota. Please read here: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.7132#stat.624.7132."

"Peaceable Journey laws? Yes.
Any legally possessed gun may be transported in a motor vehicle, provided it is unloaded and cased
." bbm
IIUC^, even without a carry permit, person may have unloaded & cased handgun (not just in holster) in vehicle traveling on public roads or highways.

See also MN statute: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.7131

I have seen a lot of members post and most seem to say the same things, they are polite, not confrontational when talking to LE. I am not suggesting otherwise about PC

With him being sited/pulled over 52, and I have seen as high as 66 times over basically 16 years. Most people learn from their mistakes. it seems like PC had no respect for laws whatsoever. I think if you get caught without insurance once or twice, you go ahead and get it, but apparently he never did. I can see where he would be upset and even possibly cop an attitude for being pulled over again. Perhaps he was cordial and handled himself well, that would be something that there will be record of, other officers will know how he responded when pulled over

I have seen more video AFTER from his girlfriend the following day, she says she was at police station til 5 am, I believe she was but that seems like a long time as it was still daylight when this happened. As for the officer, he probably is covering his ***.

We may not be seeing honesty from both sides, this is far from what happened in Baton Rouge, in that case clearly we see video leading up to AS being not only tased twice but shot instantaneously after being issued a warning with no time to heed that warning and appears to be in control of the two officers, I have seen other posters claim he had one arm free, that I am not sure of.

I have a friend who years ago got caught with driving with no insurance. I am not a fan because I Have been hit twice by people with no insurance. Consequently, I carried complete coverage even on older cars because the first time I only had liability and the guy totalled my car and I lost the car cuz he had no insurance. Expensive lesson.

Anyway, my friend had a low paying job and continued to drive as she needed to get to work. She could not now afford the insurance even more as insurance companies charge you even more as you are a risk driver if you are caught driving without insurance. So they penalize you for that and of course the fines make it so you are always paying when you have no money to ever catch up. It is a nightmare situation which continues to snowball.

I imagine he was on some list where he was considered non threatening but good for a violation which would result in some revenue.

Protesters blocked I-94 in St. Paul for nearly six hours, keeping uninvolved truck drivers and other vehicles from using an interstate. The shooting happened in Falcon Heights with policemen from St. Anthony. What does I-94 in St. Paul have to do with a shooting in another community? BLM already has a protest site at the governor's mansion. Why aren't they protesting at the capital building?

It's not been publicized much, but a vehicle with children inside led protesters onto I-94. The occupants then complained the children suffered from mace.

"But I do want to say that the people who made the decision to bring children onto the interstate made the decision not to get their children off the interstate after police directed them to multiple times," Linders said. "Had they not made that decision ... their children would not have been put in harm's way."
http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-w...icers-injured-102-arrested-rioting?source=rss

I'm not criticizing peaceful protests, but Saturday night's was not peaceful and was not lawful. It was more like a group that had nothing more to do on a Saturday night than cause problems.

&#8220;I wanted everyone in the world to know that no matter how much the police tamper with evidence, how much they stick together &#8230; I wanted to put it on Facebook and go viral so that the people could see,&#8221; Reynolds said. &#8220;I wanted the people to determine who is right and who is wrong. The only thing you guys didn&#8217;t see was when he shot. If I would have moved while that gun was out, he would have shot me, too. I chose to allow the video to go live 10 seconds before my phone died because I wanted everyone in the world to see what the police do and how they roll.&#8221;

http://www.twincities.com/2016/07/0...ooting-i-wanted-everyone-in-the-world-to-see/

bbm I'm pretty sure I know what she meant by this.

Protesters blocked I-94 in St. Paul for nearly six hours, keeping uninvolved truck drivers and other vehicles from using an interstate. The shooting happened in Falcon Heights with policemen from St. Anthony. What does I-94 in St. Paul have to do with a shooting in another community? BLM already has a protest site at the governor's mansion. Why aren't they protesting at the capital building?

It's not been publicized much, but a vehicle with children inside led protesters onto I-94. The occupants then complained the children suffered from mace.

"But I do want to say that the people who made the decision to bring children onto the interstate made the decision not to get their children off the interstate after police directed them to multiple times," Linders said. "Had they not made that decision ... their children would not have been put in harm's way."
http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-w...icers-injured-102-arrested-rioting?source=rss

I'm not criticizing peaceful protests, but Saturday night's was not peaceful and was not lawful. It was more like a group that had nothing more to do on a Saturday night than cause problems.

I know people who went. They reported that many of the issues were done by white anarchists. That is all I know. Perhaps there will be more info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member