MN - Philando Castile, 32, shot by police officer, 6 July 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest question I have is how did the gun get on his lap? Was it out before the stop or is that what he pulled out from his back? His girlfriend says that if she would of moved while the gun was out she would of been shot too. That leads me to believe it was the gun, not the wallet that was being reached for.

where did you read or see anything that proves the gun was on his lap? nothing i have seen is conclusive.

where did you read or see anything that proves the gun was on his lap? nothing i have seen is conclusive.
http://www.kwwl.com/story/32407368/2016/07/09/just-in-lawyer-minnesota-cop-reacted-to-gun-not-race
I will correct myself and say that the article says the presence of the gun (IMO that means visible) it does not say it was on his lap. I also get the impression from the girlfriends own statement that I posted above.

ETA: There are only words on both side at this point nothing is conclusive IMO.
Again my biggest question is about the gun, and how it appeared. It is not a statement of anything else, other than in my mind it is important to know.

Thanks, Barcode, and I understand the point. Without the body cam, we don't know what happened until his GF started recording.
But, as I stated in my reply just now to someone else, with all of those times that he was pulled over, arrested, etc...
Why reach for his gun now, if that's what folks believe happened?
He knew what to do when being pulled over, and what NOT to do.

I agree, I have not said he was reaching for his gun or wallet. I think things went downhill way too quickly, however I do not think LE just shot him, a combination of being told I have a gun before GF gets a chance to say he has a permit, I do think the officer operated out of fear. Hate to use this analogy but there are a lot of things in life that you change just the slightest thing and the outcome is different,

I haven't seen that statement from his girlfriend, is there a link yet? And we don't know if he listened to them or not.
I'm thinking that, after all of those "terrible, criminal" traffic stops, he wasn't ABOUT to reach for his gun, and knew the drill when you get pulled over.
The fact remains, that a "broken tail light (only not), possible robbery suspect (because of a wide nose) man" was shot and killed in his car, in front of his girl friend and a four year old girl... that, in itself, should be police negligence.
Did he move when he wasn't supposed to? Maybe. I'll have to read the link.
Doesn't mean he had to die.
IMO.

She says it in the video that she live streamed and narrated while he was dying. Do you need a link to that?

ETA--just found a link. Youtube removed it, but it is still up at live leak-she says it at around 6:45

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=396_1467864290

She says it in the video that she live streamed and narrated while he was dying. Do you need a link to that?

She said, if I remember correctly, that he told the officer that he was getting his license and registration. The officer said that he told him not to move, she said that he told the officer that he was getting the info requested, and the officer never denied it or corrected her on the recording.

He just kept that gun pointed at an almost-dead man.

IMO.

She said, if I remember correctly, that he told the officer that he was getting his license and registration. The officer said that he told him not to move, she said that he told the officer that he was getting the info requested, and the officer never denied it or corrected her on the recording.

IMO.

What I heard her say later on, as when he was reaching for his wallet, he told the cop he had a firearm. That's when he got shot.

IDK if the gun was on his lap but the lawyer said it was displayed, IMO it was out where it could be seen by the officer but IDK where.

St. Anthony Police Officer Yanez was reacting to "the presence of that gun and the display of that gun" when he opened fire on and killed Philando Castile, Minneapolis attorney Thomas Kelly told the Associated Press in an interview Saturday.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-minnesota-cop-reacted-gun-not-race/86894752/

IMO.

In the video, she said the officer told him not to move, but instead he started to put his hands up and the officer shot him when he moved to do that.

He might have had the gun in his waistband and it became visible as he was reaching for his wallet or putting his hands up.

According to his GF, he moved after the police told him not to. He'd be alive if he'd listened to the police.

I saw a good meme that said that trained police make mistakes but the public is supposed to have cool heads and know exactly what to do.

I would have no clue about any of this if it was not for Sandra Bland. I almost had a speeding ticket over a year ago. I do not remember at all what I did, but it sure wasn't keeping my hands on the wheel. I am sure I was digging looking for my info.

The cop,let me off. He asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I told him cuz I was speeding. He said he let me go cuz I was honest. I was surprised when he pulled up a speeding ticket from over ten years ago in another state.

On that one, it was a biggie. I was driving a long ways and was speeding to get there before dark. Little did I know I passed the State highway patrol Headquarters. I could have gone to jail hubby told me cuz I was going more than 15 over. He dropped it to below . Thank goodness. Out of state and a nice huge fine at that. Lucky

I saw a good meme that said that trained police make mistakes but the public is supposed to have cool heads and know exactly what to do.

I would have no clue about any of this if it was not for Sandra Bland. I almost had a speeding ticket over a year ago. I do not remember at all what I did, but it sure wasn't keeping my hands on the wheel. I am sure I was digging looking for my info.

The cop,let me off. He asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I told him cuz I was speeding. He said he let me go cuz I was honest. I was surprised when he pulled up a speeding ticket from over ten years ago in another state.

On that one, it was a biggie. I was driving a long ways and was speeding to get there before dark. Little did I know I passed the State highway patrol Headquarters. I could have gone to jail hubby told me cuz I was going more than 15 over. He dropped it to below . Thank goodness. Out of state and a nice huge fine at that. Lucky

I was taught what to do in driver's ed and I've had the question since then on driving tests. Not sure if there are national standards for driver's ed

Then, Reynolds said, the officer asked them to put their hands in the air, and they complied. The officer then asked Castile, who was driving, for his identification.
Reynolds said he kept it in a thick wallet in a right-back pants pocket.

"As he's reaching, he lets the officer know, 'I have a firearm on me,'" Reynolds said. "I begin to yell, 'But he's licensed to carry.' After that, he began to take off shots — bup bup bup."

Reynolds said that "nothing in (Castile's) body said intimidation," but the officer ordered him, "Don't move, don't move."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...pts-minnesota-governor-call-doj-probe-n605301

IDK if the gun was on his lap but the lawyer said it was displayed, IMO it was out where it could be seen by the officer but IDK where.

St. Anthony Police Officer Yanez was reacting to "the presence of that gun and the display of that gun" when he opened fire on and killed Philando Castile, Minneapolis attorney Thomas Kelly told the Associated Press in an interview Saturday.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-minnesota-cop-reacted-gun-not-race/86894752/

If it wasn't displayed wouldn't that be considered carrying a concealed weapon and be against the law? Not sure at all about gun laws.
I noticed the attorney didn't say the officer feared he was reaching for a weapon just that that he saw the weapon.
Is just seeing enough cause to shoot.
And why did one officer go to driver side window and one to the passenger side window? IMO

I was taught what to do in driver's ed and I've had the question since then on driving tests. Not sure if there are national standards for driver's ed

Interesting. Must be something new. My mother's license came in the mail. No test needed back in the prehistoric days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Clean