MN MN - William Underhill, 20, Minneapolis, 1 March 1969

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My dad went missing almost the same exact time as your brother. So I can definitely relate to your frustration and sense of loss. I'll do hope you guys get some solid leads and answers one day.

Bruce Higgins
Welcome to Ws Alfred!
Sorry about your Dad, does he have a thread here?

Thanks. I'm trying to get a thread started. Plz contact coffe56. He's been trying to help me. I'm having trouble using this site. - Bruce

Thanks. I'm trying to get a thread started. Plz contact coffe56. He's been trying to help me. I'm having trouble using this site. - Bruce

Welcome!

PA - William Alfred Higgins, 35, Allegheny Cty, Mar-April 1969

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...m/forums/showthread.php?t=369824&share_type=t

There is quite a bit of info and lots of photos for Bill. I will update his thread with some additional info at some point today. Please take a look everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you enter Canada back then, did you have to fill out paperwork in order to work? Like here in the USA having a SS#. What is used in Canada?

When you enter Canada back then, did you have to fill out paperwork in order to work? Like here in the USA having a SS#. What is used in Canada?
Social security card was/is usually used.
In 1969, there likely was a number of jobs where you could get around that, some people might have been supportive of people who did not want to fight in Vietnam. imo, speculation.

In my opinion William and Delafield John Doe really don't look alike at all, based on pictures of William and post-mortem pictures.

William Underhill is not Delafield Doe. Websleuth user Mas.nitram was able to uncover the identity of Delafield Doe and has mentioned in that thread that this is now in the official process of the ME contacting the family.

Just found this guy...anyone else think he looks like William? Not much info on him. Year of death was 1969 or 1970. Age is 18-30, dark hair. They do think he was shorter than William, though. NAMUS UP10738.

https://www.theunidentified.org/product-page/10738

Also Unfound Podcast did a follow up episode to give the latest on the cases they have covered. I have not listened to it yet to hear if there were any updates from William's sister.

Just found this guy...anyone else think he looks like William? Not much info on him. Year of death was 1969 or 1970. Age is 18-30, dark hair. They do think he was shorter than William, though. NAMUS UP10738.

https://www.theunidentified.org/product-page/10738

Also Unfound Podcast did a follow up episode to give the latest on the cases they have covered. I have not listened to it yet to hear if there were any updates from William's sister.
William.
img_36865-jpeg.124339

Thumbnail

Unidentified
Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP10738 Male, White / Caucasian
Date FoundJune 19, 1970
Location FoundColorado
Estimated Age Range18-30 Years
Unidentified Person Case

This could be William, although there is not enough info for me to say more than it looks like him in the reconstruction.

2454UMIA
2454UMIA - Unidentified Male
2454UMIA.jpg
2454UMIA1.jpg
2454UMIA2.jpg

Reconstruction of the victim by the FBI.

Date of Discovery: March 9, 1972
Location of Discovery: Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa
Estimated Date of Death: 1972

William Campbell Underhill
william_campbell_underhill_1.jpg
william_campbell_underhill_2.jpg
william_campbell_underhill_3.jpg
william_campbell_underhill_4.jpg
william_campbell_underhill_5.jpg

Underhill, circa 1969

• Missing Since 03/01/1969
  • Missing From St. Paul, Minnesota
  • Classification Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 07/02/1948 (72)
  • Age20 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'2, 175 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, hazel eyes. Underhill has previously dislocated his shoulder. He also suffered polio as a child. His nickname is Bill.
Details of Disappearance

Underhill was last seen at a party on the West Bank at the University of Minnesota's Minneapolis-St. Paul campus on March 1, 1969. He has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.

Investigating Agency
  • St. Paul Police Department
Source Information

William Campbell Underhill-Missing Person

(Excerpt from his facebook site):

Missing since March 1969 from Minnesota.

Bill grew up in St. Paul and graduated from Murray High School in 1966. He spent most summers at Lake Itasca State Park with his family. He enjoyed the outdoors and was an avid fisherman. Fishing at Vadnais Lake, Sucker Lake, Rush Lake, and at Lucy Wilder Morris Park, as well as the Cascade, Temperance, Split Rock, Caribou, and Stewart Rivers in Northern MN.

At the time of his disappearance, Bill was a student at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, where he also had a part-time job. Prior to his disappearance he was studying for finals at home with his sister, Sarah.

The night of his disappearance, he attended a party in Dinkytown with friends. He unexpectedly left the party and has not been seen since. Although a friend at the party followed Bill when he saw him leave, he was not seen again. He may have broken up with a girlfriend around that time and he was likely expecting to be drafted.

Bill left the party without his coat, his last paycheck was never cashed, and he had a savings account which was never touched. He was 21 years old and living with his parents and sisters in St. Paul. He did not have a car...

LINK:

William Campbell Underhill-Missing Person

Bill’s brother maintains a lovely, active FB page dedicated to his memory.

Current NamUs ruleouts:
UP5212
UP14360
UP15056
UP6639
UP6149
UP14518
UP12854
UP6637
UP6530
UP9399
UP9383
UP6643
UP11248
UP6278
UP10941
UP5263
UP6304
UP6513
UP6745
UP10908
UP6640
UP6548
UP6702
UP6700

In Memory: William Underhill
7/2/1948 – missing since 3/1/1969
''In high school Bill played football and was on the wrestling team. He was tall and slim and loved the outdoors. He lifted weights and was an avid fisherman. He spent summers at Itasca, exploring, lifeguarding, finding adventure. In 1969, he was a student at the U of M, working, and living at home with his parents and sisters. ''

In March 1969, he disappeared. He was 21. And we know little more now then we did then – that he’d gone to a party with friends, drank some, talked some, perhaps about Vietnam and his upcoming physical for the draft – and that he left the party abruptly, into the night, never to be seen again.

Maybe he felt afraid, maybe brave, maybe he didn’t know what he felt or where to turn. Maybe he was broken-hearted, maybe he was in trouble. He had his life ahead of him – maybe the future would have meant his being drafted and serving in Vietnam. Maybe he would have come home, maybe not. It was a time in America not unlike these days, nearly 50 years later. We’ve imagined the worst in all its many forms.
Somewhere his bones lie. We continue to want to find him, to bury his bones in earth, marked with flowers, and to somehow in someway put his spirit to rest in a peaceful place.
We are grateful to you, the class of ’66, who knew him – vaguely or dearly – and who have shared your memories of him with us. Please continue to do so. And we will continue to look for him and love him and remain indebted for every bit of information – memory, suspicion, speculation, possibility, and detail – we are offered.
Thank you.''

Last edited:

Sisters jump start investigation into disappearance of St. Paul man 53 years ago​

Published: November 28, 2022 9:38PM

Underhill was last seen on Mar. 13, 1969, leaving a party at an apartment building near 14th Avenue and 5th Street SE. Since then, he has not used his social security number or bank account.

"All of those things lead us to believe that something happened that night when Bill left the party and someone out there knows something,"

Sisters jumpstart investigation into disappearance of St. Paul man 53 years ago

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
culley2821
Back