MO MO - Angela Hammond, 20, Clinton, 4 Apr 1991

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Agree ... see my comment above...it is definitely possible to INTENTIONALLY blow your transmission - and if you want to escape murder charges...you're going to do whatever necessary to fit with the story you've invented. An enraged, frantic boyfriend intentionally blowing his transmission in order to invent a way out? A blown transmission is a cakewalk compared to serving time for murder...

I live very close to Clinton Missouri, but I don't know any of the people involved. So as an outsider who knows the area very well. I just don't think the bf is believeable. First why would she stop at a pay phone to call him when she could have just drove the 7 blocks(small town blocks, not big city blocks). My thinking is she might have called if they were on the outs about something. Because she could just hang up if it got to much. Second, why would a guy grab a woman who is on the phone, probably telling whoever she is talking to what he looks like and maybe even his license plate #.
I wonder if maybe she did call him and he drove up and met her at the phone booth. She got in w/ him and they argued, we will never know. But they drove out of town maybe south to the lake or it could have been anywhere. There are so many old wells and etc. around. But whether it was an accident or not she winds up dead, her body is hidden. Then as he drives back into town his transmisson gives out. Who backs up his story. No one. Who saw him chasing anyone, no one. The fishing decal in the rear window was an easy one. At that time, there was probably hundreds of trucks around here with that decal.Just remember when Lacy Peterson first went missing her mother defended Scot .
If Angela is ever hoped to be found, this has to be considered. Her bf might be a great guy. But you cannot just take his word. He and his story needs to be picked apart.

I find it hard to believe there is a way to deliberately destroy a transmission in the manner the boyfriend would have to do in order to create an alibi. Sure, you can abuse one so that it will soon fail but to plan a murder that requires that the transmission of a functioning vehicle be incapacitated at a specific spot is a bit far fetched. (I can think of other more reliable methods). It is the sort of thing a Crime-fiction writer would think of.

For me, this is the most haunting case of all the Unsolved Mysteries cases I ever saw. Watching Rob's demeanor, I was struck by the raw pain I saw in him; he seemed to be just barely holding it together. I believed him.

All these years later, I wanted to watch the UM clip again, but the only one presently on YouTube is in Spanish. So, I watched the Spanish version, even though I don't speak Spanish. Looking at the boyfriend again, trying to read his face, my opinion hasn't changed. I still see agony and guilt--guilt, because he didn't save her. At one point, he finishes speaking and there's a lot going on in his face--nostril flare/muscles tightening--that just gets me, totally. He looks devastated to me. That's JMHO, of course. The look of agony is from 3:02-3:04. See what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TuUUzmpJLk

In the UM segment, the image of the truck speeding away really struck me. I could imagine the horror of having my vehicle slow and stop as I watched helplessly as an abducted loved one disappeared in the distance. I could imagine blaming myself and I wondered whether Rob would recover emotionally. Would he destroy himself with the thought "If only I hadn't torn up my transmission, I could've saved Angela that night"?

I've thought about Rob from time to time through the years and wished him well. Often, I send up a prayer not just for him, but for all the loved ones of Missing Persons. They have no answers and it must be excruciating.

So Larry Hall or the boyfriend - which one, do you think, did it?

I'd think that they both sound like strong contenders.

The suspiciously highly detailed description is indeed odd; odder still is that someone would kidnap a person who is talking on the phone at the time, had been observing you, perhaps had recognized you, and certainly may have described you to whomever was on the other end of the line.

I remember seeing this case on Unsolved Mysteries. And, none of these witnesses got a license number?

14 years missing. The case re-aired today and I was wondering if her family is still looking.

It is 24 years missing. It seems to me the boyfriend had a weird story and did anyone ever follow-up about repairs or a new (to him) car purchase? Just because he was her boyfriend didn't mean he wanted to be with her any longer or wanted a child with her. I think simple solutions are correct at least 80% of the time.

It is 24 years missing. It seems to me the boyfriend had a weird story and did anyone ever follow-up about repairs or a new (to him) car purchase? Just because he was her boyfriend didn't mean he wanted to be with her any longer or wanted a child with her. I think simple solutions are correct at least 80% of the time.

It is a weird story but it's just believable enough that it might be true. When I read about missing significant others where their partner is the suspect, usually their story is pretty basic. This one has too many parts that any detective could have dismantled if it was untrue. Since Angela is still missing, it's still possible that he was involved. Just seems unlikely, imo.

The suspiciously highly detailed description is indeed odd; odder still is that someone would kidnap a person who is talking on the phone at the time, had been observing you, perhaps had recognized you, and certainly may have described you to whomever was on the other end of the line. Highly unlikely.

Not to mention these pay phones were exstreamly exspensive back in 1991. 25-cents for each minute.

If the description is correct the truck was very distinct. I am surprised that no one remembered seeing it before or after the abduction. I wonder if the perp was not from the area.

I remember these old fish jumping out of water decals, they were very popular back then.

If the bf is telling the truth what horrible luck his transmission gave out. I have never been able to get over that.

That's got to be the worst stroke of luck anyone could ever have. Considering the automatic transmissions on these old cars were practicly bulletproof. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I will say I had an old 1984 Ford pickup with an automatic. I was driving down the road one day doing about 40mph when I went to put in nutrial, but it accidently slid into reverse. It made a loud crunching cracking noise, but the trans ran fine there after. Infact about a year later the motor blew, but trans was still fine.

When I was a kid I had a 1979 Chevy Camaro. I use to do constant "Trans Slams" with it. That's when you put it in reverse with the pedal to the floor, and slap it into drive, wile still keeping the pedal to the floor.

The only thing I can think of that would damage these old transmission would be to run them non stop wile being very low on trans oil.

That said, if the car/truck was in drive but not moving, then he maybe could have dropped to L1 then to L2, and continued to pursue the truck.

I wonder if the phone company has a record of whether the phone was actually in use at this time and for how long. The boyfriend's story sounds strange but there are some elements that point away from him as well.

I was wondering if they checked the phone for her fingerprints . Also, one report that I read stated that the man walked up, and was using the phone next to her. Then he went back to his truck, and started searching for something with a flashlight.

But does make me wonder if his fingerprints would have been on the other phone too?

Lots of questions here. Like if she was able to stick her head out the window of the man's truck and scream; then why did she not just jump out when she saw the boyfriend?

I wonder if the phone company has a record of whether the phone was actually in use at this time and for how long. The boyfriend's story sounds strange but there are some elements that point away from him as well.

As far as phone records, I remember long distant calls always showed on your bill with the number, and a time stamp, but I don't think local calls were recorded. Your right though, you still think they would know if the phone was being used

Wouldn't her finger prints have been on the coins inside the phone?

It's sad though, 25-years, and it's just you and me here scratching out heads.

Bumping

From the cold case files: Angela Marie Hammond

http://batescountynewswire.blogspot.com/2016/03/from-cold-case-files-angela-marie.html

Angela Hammond went missing in the Spring of 1991 in an apparent abduction in Clinton Mo. After 25 years, still the case holds a mystery that may never be solved- unless someone steps forward:

"He's a filthy, bearded man" is how Angela Hammond described a person circling the parking lot while she spoke to her boyfriend on a pay phone in Clinton, Mo. late one night in 1991.

In the time since, it was thought the Angela's disappearance might be linked to two other women, Trudy Darby and Cheryl Ann Kenney who also went missing in early 1991 but there is little evidence to support a hard connection. There were other reports of a woman seen matching her description in the northern United States and in Canada, but all leads turned up nothing.

The Search Will Always Continue

Angela has been gone 25 years now. We continue to follow leads and hope to find answers in this case. If you can help please contact us.

20824_10152624447056082_2635981800443086064_n.jpg

I'm also one of those people haunted by this case, Rob's story as well as his (in my opinion) heartbreak in UM. Just joined websleuths after being a long time reader and this was the first case I looked up. How I wish there had been more action taken then, or some developments since. If Rob was indeed telling the truth, it's a horrible way to lose someone: in terror and so close to helping them, only to helplessly watch them get away.

As a longtime fan of Unsolved Mysteries, this was the first case they featured that truly frightened me. It was mentioned in a previous that Angela's boyfriend's story could not be corroborated. The UM segment did say that the boyfriend was investigated and cleared by authorities. I still wonder if there is a connection between Angela's case and others (Trudy Darby and Cheryl Kenney). After 26 years, this case needs resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the boyfriend. This episode is in Season 4 on Amazon.

The decal on the truck was so unique I can't believe no one was able to identify him.

I believe the boyfriend. This episode is in Season 4 on Amazon.

The decal on the truck was so unique I can't believe no one was able to identify him.
Could you tell me the episode number please? Looked through every episode description on amazon and can't find it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdeem713
Back