MO MO - Betty Alexander, 69, Sullivan, 11 April 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The fentanyl patches are seriously dangerous even for people who are used to them and combined with certain circumstances Fentanyl Transdermal Patch: MedlinePlus Drug Information
Please scroll down to important warning

Could in Betty's case something described in the link have occurred by accident or on purpose? It doesn't explain where she is or went though/why she wasn't in her apartment. If somebody stole the patches IMO there is no need to harm her unless it was somebody she knew.

I wonder what the reason is for this kind of sudden change of thinking. Not finding her remains in the last four years makes me think her body is somehow hidden. Intentionally. More and more I'm leaning towards foul play. I hope with this extra eyes this case comes to a solution. So sorry for her loved ones.

I wonder what the reason is for this kind of sudden change of thinking. Not finding her remains in the last four years makes me think her body is somehow hidden. Intentionally. More and more I'm leaning towards foul play. I hope with this extra eyes this case comes to a solution. So sorry for her loved ones.

It's possible someone was arrested for another crime and started talking or someone phoned in a new tip. May or may not be true, but they want to check out the scant evidence and alibis that are on record. It's interesting MSP decided to canvass the neighborhood, probably to see if any of the residents who were there 3 years ago saw anything. One would think that would have been done already, but its always good to do it again.

JMO, there are people in that town who know what happened.

It's possible someone was arrested for another crime and started talking or someone phoned in a new tip. May or may not be true, but they want to check out the scant evidence and alibis that are on record. It's interesting MSP decided to canvass the neighborhood, probably to see if any of the residents who were there 3 years ago saw anything. One would think that would have been done already, but its always good to do it again.

JMO, there are people in that town who know what happened.
BBM - agree 100%, and this has everything to do with those fentanyl patches.
Street value for a fentanyl patch is $75-100.
Source: https://www.guardianrecoverynetwork.com/addiction-101/fentanyls-street-value/

Editing to add that in looking at a map of the area, it would seem as if Meramec State Park would be a likely resting place. Unfortunately, it would be very difficult to find remains there, but not impossible.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Last edited:

APR 11, 2023
Within the last few months, the Missouri State Highway Patrol stepped in to help with the case.
The group did a search of the area near the apartment but left empty-handed.

As for the main detective dedicated to the case, he recently retired.

Miller shared with a quavering voice, "It’s kind of left me feeling alone. He knew the whole case. I'm worried it’ll get lost."

In the last few days, she's reached out to two different FBI offices and shared flyers in the town that's sixty-eight miles from downtown St. Louis.

"It just feels like we can’t get any one to help on our case. I’m afraid it’s going to become cold and we’ll never have answers. There are so many milestones mom is missing," she said. "I know after four years we probably don’t have any chance of getting the good news but I have to still hope for a miracle. I know they do happen. I know there is a chance."

BBM - agree 100%, and this has everything to do with those fentanyl patches.
Street value for a fentanyl patch is $75-100.
Source: https://www.guardianrecoverynetwork.com/addiction-101/fentanyls-street-value/

Editing to add that in looking at a map of the area, it would seem as if Meramec State Park would be a likely resting place. Unfortunately, it would be very difficult to find remains there, but not impossible.

If this is true, and it might be, lets explore this further. This are some (rhetorical) questions I wish we had answers to.

Who knew about the patches besides family members and had access to them?
Where did Betty keep the patches? Were they in plain sight or (locket) in a closet?
If so who could have taken them. An unknown addict who took them for own usage and/or someone with knowledge of the "market" to sell them in the drugs-community or to a dealer? Someone Betty knew and could identify? Does Betty have family members/friends/acquaintances with addiction problems or people who are in a lot of pain?
Why is Betty missing? She was a frail elderly. If someone would have wanted the patches one blow would have been enough to disable her. No need to take her unless this person was known to her.
At a certain moment the door was ajar. Could Betty already have been missing and this was a theft of opportunity, with nobody in the house?

Bringing up some parts from the thread. Sorry, if I'm not totally detailed.
Alexander was last seen <incorrect if you ask me, could this date be a mix-up?> Wednesday, April 10, around 1:15 p.m. She was at her apartment and had received a delivery from Sinks Pharmacy at that time. On the Bring Betty Home page, in answer to someone asking what meds were missing, she wrote: “Box 1 of 2 of her Fentanyl patches that were just delivered” (Bring Betty Home FB page, under post of July 10).

Does a delivery person know what kind of meds are in a package? I suppose not, but he/she might have talked to Betty and she mentioned it to him/her? Could this person have stolen a part of it during delivery, offering to put it away? Came back later?

Who else came to the house that day. What was the food arrangement for April 10?

At what day and time did Betty call the pharmacy to complain about a missing box of fentanyl? Was this completely checked out by LE. What was the story of the pharmacy/delivery person? Were 2 boxes supposed to be delivered? Was there really one missing? It seems very relevant to establish if and when the fentanyl was potentially stolen.

Thurs., Apr. 11:
•Time Unknown: A neighbor and a normal cleaning lady talk to Betty at her house. The cleaning lady also brought her food that day. A neighbor saw her in the garden, so he wasn't in her house.
The cleaning woman came and brought her food. She must have known a lot about Betty's habits and stuff.

Was this really a case of stolen fentanyl or just a mistake in Betty's head. If the fentanyl is missing/stolen does this has anything to do with Betty's missing or are they two separate incidents? How I wish I could read the case file.

Last edited:
If this is true, and it might be, lets explore this further. This are some (rhetorical) questions I wish we had answers to.

Who knew about the patches besides family members and had access to them?
Where did Betty keep the patches? Were they in plain sight or (locket) in a closet?
If so who could have taken them. An unknown addict who took them for own usage and/or someone with knowledge of the "market" to sell them in the drugs-community or to a dealer? Someone Betty knew and could identify? Does Betty have family members/friends/acquaintances with addiction problems or people who are in a lot of pain?
Why is Betty missing? She was a frail elderly. If someone would have wanted the patches one blow would have been enough to disable her. No need to take her unless this person was known to her.
At a certain moment the door was ajar. Could Betty already have been missing and this was a theft of opportunity, with nobody in the house?

Bringing up some parts from the thread. Sorry, if I'm not totally detailed.
Alexander was last seen <incorrect if you ask me, could this date be a mix-up?> Wednesday, April 10, around 1:15 p.m. She was at her apartment and had received a delivery from Sinks Pharmacy at that time. On the Bring Betty Home page, in answer to someone asking what meds were missing, she wrote: “Box 1 of 2 of her Fentanyl patches that were just delivered” (Bring Betty Home FB page, under post of July 10).

Does a delivery person know what kind of meds are in a package? I suppose not, but he/she might have talked to Betty and she mentioned it to him/her? Could this person have stolen a part of it during delivery, offering to put it away? Came back later?

Who else came to the house that day. What was the food arrangement for April 10?

At what day and time did Betty call the pharmacy to complain about a missing box of fentanyl? Was this completely checked out by LE. What was the story of the pharmacy/delivery person? Were 2 boxes supposed to be delivered? Was there really one missing? It seems very relevant to establish if and when the fentanyl was potentially stolen.

Thurs., Apr. 11:
•Time Unknown: A neighbor and a normal cleaning lady talk to Betty at her house. The cleaning lady also brought her food that day. A neighbor saw her in the garden, so he wasn't in her house.
The cleaning woman came and brought her food. She must have known a lot about Betty's habits and stuff.

Was this really a case of stolen fentanyl or just a mistake in Betty's head. If the fentanyl is missing/stolen does this has anything to do with Betty's missing or are they two separate incidents? How I wish I could read the case file.
I firmly believe it was someone she knew, even a loose connection. Who came in to her home? Did she have a handy person, housekeeper, visiting home aide, or? Who did the maintenance at the apartments; have all these people been interviewed?

Not random. Someone who had enough contact with her to know she had fentanyl.

APR 14, 2023
[...]

Private detectives, psychic mediums and others have tried to assist in determining the whereabouts of Alexander.

Sullivan detectives have combed through more than 50 leads in the case.

Alexander’s DNA has been entered into a national database and she is listed in the FBI’s National Missing Person Database as well.

Members of the Missouri State Highway Patrol reached out to Sullivan Police in early December 2022 and asked if they could also help review the case and assist in trying to locate Betty Alexander.

“We received communications from the MSHP offering to send investigators down to work with us and go over the missing case of Betty Alexander,” said Sullivan Police Chief Patrick Johnson. “The MSHP arrived Monday morning, December 12, 2022 and began assisting in the case, canvassing the area around Alexander’s apartment on Center Street and going over all of our case information from beginning to where we are at now.”

According to Tolliver, there has been no news from the MSHP regarding their investigation.

[...]

Nothing new since April 2023. Did Missouri State Highway Patrol do more searches in the mean time? I wonder what theories/scenarios they have in mind about what could have happened to Betty. I think it's very sad but common sense they are looking for her body now, but maybe miracles do exist.

I firmly believe it was someone she knew, even a loose connection. Who came in to her home? Did she have a handy person, housekeeper, visiting home aide, or? Who did the maintenance at the apartments; have all these people been interviewed?

Not random. Someone who had enough contact with her to know she had fentanyl.

I think a lot of people are leaning towards someone even closer to her . Her daughter is a wonderful lady and has tried so hard to find her . But she's not a only child . Notice not a lot of mention of siblings ?

I think a lot of people are leaning towards someone even closer to her . Her daughter is a wonderful lady and has tried so hard to find her . But she's not an only child . Notice not a lot of mention of siblings ?
Anyone, regardless of family or not, who had close contact with the missing subject and was a known drug user (or whose significant other was), needs to be vigorously scrutinized. We have seen time and again that addicts will do anything to get their “medicine”.

Anyone, regardless of family or not, who had close contact with the missing subject and was a known drug user (or whose significant other was), needs to be vigorously scrutinized. We have seen time and again that addicts will do anything to get their “medicine”.

There are quite a few of those around that area, too. Unfortunate situation. JMO, there are quite a few people who know what happened, but no one is talking.

There are quite a few of those around that area, too. Unfortunate situation. JMO, there are quite a few people who know what happened, but no one is talking.
So many cases are like this - people know, but don't talk.
Bad, bad karma. It always comes back to them.

I'm getting caught up on some old episodes of the Vanished podcast, and I just can't wrap my head around what could have happened to Betty.

-Elderly people do sometimes wander off, and dementia can worsen without family always being aware of how bad it has gotten, but with no vehicle and limited mobility, how far could she have realistically gotten on her own?

-Sometimes addicts are willing to do terrible things to feed their addictions, but if someone knew Betty had fentanyl patches in her apartment and wanted them, what would be the point of abducting her? Just break in when she's off grocery shopping with her daughter and take them. Who's going to abduct an elderly lady just to get one box of patches and leave the other box behind, along with the money in her purse?

-The behavior of her sons after her disappearance is super hinky, and family are usually the first suspects in a disappearance for a reason, but what motive could they possibly have to get rid of her? She was living in low income apartments for seniors so I doubt that there was some huge estate that they could hope to inherit in the wake of her death. We're approaching the five-year mark at which someone can apply to have her declared legally deceased, but who is going to abduct and murder an elderly mom so they can get their hands on their share of her meager possessions five years later? It makes no sense. To get her out of the way so the wife's uncle can have her apartment since it has a better view than his own? That just seems silly.

-Could there have been an argument that got out of hand, the person struck her in anger and badly injured her, and then they panicked and decided to finish her off and get rid of her so they wouldn't be arrested for assault? And then left the door ajar and took a box of the fentanyl patches to make it seem like that had been the motive for someone to do something to her? I feel like this is one of the most likely scenarios, even though it's still pretty 'out there'... but it would possibly explain some of the strange behaviors after her disappearance.

I hope she is found soon, no matter what happened. My heart breaks for her daughter to be working so hard to find her mom and coming up empty handed after almost five years. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KiKi_T
Back