GUILTY MO - Breeann Rodriguez, 3, Senath, 6 August 2011 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any indication in the media that this could be a racially motivated crime? tia

No, not that I've seen. I believe the discussion is due to the specific mention in the affidavit that the perp saw a "Mexican" girl on his pool ladder.

Has there been any indication in the media that this could be a racially motivated crime? tia

No, just the affidavit where LE says that Morgan stated He found a Mexican girl on his pool ladder. The question is whether LE is calling her a "Mexican girl" or Morgan referred to her as that.

Actually NG is doing the Aruba story first...I have her on mute...

I'm in Texas....a cop describing a Hispanic person as a "Mexican" would get fired.

If the person was in fact from Mexico, why would someone be fired for calling them 'Mexican.'? Isn't that being racist in itself for calling it a derogatory thing to be correctly label one's nationality? That is what my Mexican friends are trying to say. Why avoid the correct term 'Mexican' and label it a derogatory term? Isn't that racist in itself ?

If a cop was discussing 3 potential suspects, and one was from Mexico City and the other two from Columbia, would he be fired for calling one of them a Mexican in contrast to the other two?

If the person was in fact from Mexico, why would someone be fired for calling them 'Mexican.'? Isn't that being racist in itself for calling it a derogatory thing to be correctly label one's nationality? That is what my Mexican friends are trying to say. Why avoid the correct term 'Mexican' and label it a derogatory term? Isn't that racist in itself ?

If a cop was discussing 3 potential suspects, and one was from Mexico City and the other two from Columbia, would he be fired for calling one of them a Mexican in contrast to the other two?

I have to agree. It kinda be like me getting mad at someone for calling me American!

The tragedy also has unified a town where the growing number of Latino residents has caused a sense of division, she said.

"You know how it is: You work, you come home, you associate with the people you've always associated with," Miller said. But since Breeann's disappearance, she said, "Everybody stands together. The rescue effort brought everybody out, including people from the next town. I made everybody know that a child is just a a child."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/breeann-rodriguez-missing-father-charged-murder/story?id=14297243

I'm still thinking it's a hate crime. Apparently there was tension if a neighbor made it a point to mention... MOO
Rumor on FB said he lost his job from some bomb threat? That sounds like an anti-establishment threat and a man who was perhaps tired of minorities getting his jobs/moving to his neighborhood ... blah, blah, blah. You know how the rhetoric goes. No need to document the ignorance some feel.

ETA : BBM
Why would the neighbor have to MAKE everyone know a child is just a child?? Sounds like some really racist attitudes to me...

This is what I was trying to explain and I believe his beliefs are on the fringe and deep seated.

Here is an example of what I was trying to explain, from BrownPride forum. They consider it an insult to be labled Hispanic instead of Mexican or whatever country they are from.

http://boards.brownpride.com/showthread.php/mexican-vs-hispanic-54395.html?
Mexicans are not Hispanics
no more than Shaquielle O'Neil is an Irishman.

Hispanics are things and people of Spain.
We are not things or people of Spain.
Hispanic and Latino are White words.

They are European-derived identities.

We are not European-derived people.
We are the Indigenous-derived people.

I don't know ever know what I'm allowed or expected to call other people anymore. When I take my kids to play at the park, and I need to identify a child I don't know by name, I'll say, "the girl with the braids." or, "the boy with the blue hat.". Anything to avoid the most obvious characteristic of race, but you know what? They're not fooled, they'll look right at me and say, "oh? That one with the brown skin?" Of course, we are white/Scottish descent, and very fair, redheads. Everyone has brown skin compared to us!

Hey peeps.

I know our hearts are all aching for Breeann and her family. And there are indeed racial tensions in that part of MO, as there are in pretty much every city and town in the U.S., if not the world. It would be folly to suggest that weren't the case.

But we're here to sleuth what happened to Breeann and where she is, first and foremost. The question of why it happened can come later, and we will have many lively and respectful discussions at that time--hopefully with the help of more insight from the investigation and perhaps the perpetrator.

In the meantime, keep posting links to what you know or discover about the case. Keep in mind that we are all coming to this with different experiences. Keep being kind to and respectful of another. And please keep Breeann's parents and family close to your heart in the coming days.

:grouphug:

First Nations People? Please elaborate a little. Curious what First Nations People are.

First Nations is the Canadian term for what Americans call Native Americans-American Indians. Basically, the indigenous people of the area.

Yeah that is what I mean by flood control:) the whole place was like a lake when I was there,and the bushes are thick and so is the debris in the river

This is one of the reasons the water temp would be warmer also. This is why it is called a swamp. I can't imagine all the creatures, bugs and mosquitos LE are having to deal with. God Bless them. Panthers, bobcats, and bears would be accurate. The ozarks are not far and a managed wildlife area with all of their prey--plus water would be the perfect habitat for them to venture into. IMO

Praying for Breeann's family ! Can't even imagine what they are going through .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GFinder