Found Deceased MO - Donna Eye, 44, medical cond causing MH issue, sheriff's dep gave her ride from hosp 11pm & left her in Mark Twain Natl Forest, Potosi, 8 Jan 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I suppose this statement lets the police officer who dropped by the hospital to give Donna a lift off the hook. Donna was seen alive in Potosi a day after she was dropped off. RIP Ma'am

According to a Tuesday news release from the Major Case Squad, Eye was last seen on Jan. 9 near Shirley School Road in Potosi. A family member reported her missing on Thursday.
<> Washington County Sheriff's Office confirmed that a deputy responded to a call for service at a hospital on <> Jan. 8 and picked Eye up <>. Twenty minutes later, at around midnight, the deputy dropped Eye off on Shirley School Road.

Sgt. Greg Adams, commander of the Mineral Area Major Case Squad, said that during the execution of a search warrant on a farm located in the 10000 block of Shirley School Road in Potosi in Washington County, Missouri, someone told law enforcement personnel they'd seen a dead body belonging to a woman on the adjoining property nearby.
Google Map

View attachment 476389

There may be a little CYA going on. It sounds like things may have been bungled somewhere along the line.

It's easy to get lost on the roads out there unless you travel them every day. All the roads branching off the road look the same. There are no lights, few of the roads are marked and its difficult to know if a road has houses on it or just dead ends in the middle of the woods. No one should have been out there on foot, in that weather, late at night. It would have been very dark.

I've done genealogy research looking for old cemeteries, churches, etc. off the roads in that area. It's easy to get lost in daylight. The roads are difficult to walk or drive on. I'm not sure about that road, but in most areas there's little or no cell phone signal. Descendants of the Eye family have been living in that area since the 1830's.

JMO It's a very sad situation that wasn't the fault of the patient or her family. Washington County is not a rich county by any means. Human services could stand a lot of new funding in that area. I still don't understand why she had to sit in the waiting room at the hospital for 5 hours.

The Deputy that gave Donna a ride was a woman, not a man. Probably trying to go the right thing without thinking beyond what the missing woman asked of her. Horrific situation for everyone involved. My hearts go out to everyone affected and grieving. Mother, missing 8 days, last seen in Mark Twain National Forest
I’m not saying that the female officer did anything nefarious. Yet, females commit crimes - including violent ones. The fact that it was a female doesn’t make a difference. They are just a capable of perpetuating something, despite mainstream public belief otherwise, (and the overall perception of improbability). And therein lays the paradox, and the ultimate oxymoron.

I suppose this statement lets the police officer who dropped by the hospital to give Donna a lift off the hook. Donna was seen alive in Potosi a day after she was dropped off. RIP Ma'am

According to a Tuesday news release from the Major Case Squad, Eye was last seen on Jan. 9 near Shirley School Road in Potosi. A family member reported her missing on Thursday.
<> Washington County Sheriff's Office confirmed that a deputy responded to a call for service at a hospital on <> Jan. 8 and picked Eye up <>. Twenty minutes later, at around midnight, the deputy dropped Eye off on Shirley School Road.

Sgt. Greg Adams, commander of the Mineral Area Major Case Squad, said that during the execution of a search warrant on a farm located in the 10000 block of Shirley School Road in Potosi in Washington County, Missouri, someone told law enforcement personnel they'd seen a dead body belonging to a woman on the adjoining property nearby.
Google Map

View attachment 476389

She was dropped off at midnight which made it the next day - not 24 hours later

I’m not asserting the techs and docs at the medical facility are at fault. They didn’t offer to drive her to her home. The LEO agreed to that. The LEO is in a position of power. With that policing power, comes even greater responsibility. The last person to see her alive, was the LEO by all accounts.

You said "I’m just asserting that the facility also doesn’t seem to care. There was a lot of “ambivalence and passing of the buck” in the air on that night."

That's what I was responding to.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>
and thats the part everyone is missing. An adult who says " i want to get out here, this is my spot" cannot be kept in the car and driven somewhere else. I know a lot of LE agencies do not give rides exactly for the reasons in this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
You said "I’m just asserting that the facility also doesn’t seem to care. There was a lot of “ambivalence and passing of the buck” in the air on that night."

That's what I was responding to.
The “facility” is a generalization, a blanket term for the entity. The “facility” is a thing. It cannot “care” - as it’s not alive.

I still hold fast to the basic premise that there are too many unknown factors, players, and circumstances which occurred that evening.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

This case is very sad.
It sounds like she had a previous hospitalization for encephalitis, but per the timeline from the police (page 2 of this thread) in this instance ambulance was called at 2:58 PM on 1/8/24 (complaint of headache and weakness), she arrived at the hospital/was admitted to the ED (not inpatient) at 3:25 PM, and was discharged at 5:51 PM. There's no indication that she was on a psychiatric hold and she apparently was not conserved (was her "own person").

The hospital staff had limited options- without an admittable diagnosis, insurance/Medicaid would not pay for a hospital stay. We have no idea what treatment she received- I'll guess fluids, a meal, and a headache remedy. Likely a neuro exam, maybe a CT scan.
If she did not give consent for hospital staff to contact family, even for a ride, they cannot (HIPAA).

I have no idea what hospital census trends are in her area, but at the large urban hospital where I work we are packed to the gills and ED is overflowing. She was not in custody, she was medically cleared.
Once someone is discharged from the ED (here) they have to leave. We do have public transportation so they may get a bus ride ticket, but police won't transport.

I think it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation that had a really sad ending.

Last edited by a moderator:
This case is very sad.
It sounds like she had a previous hospitalization for encephalitis, but per the timeline from the police (page 2 of this thread) in this instance ambulance was called at 2:58 PM on 1/8/24 (complaint of headache and weakness), she arrived at the hospital/was admitted to the ED (not inpatient) at 3:25 PM, and was discharged at 5:51 PM. There's no indication that she was on a psychiatric hold and she apparently was not conserved (was her "own person").

The hospital staff had limited options- without an admittable diagnosis, insurance/Medicaid would not pay for a hospital stay. We have no idea what treatment she received- I'll guess fluids, a meal, and a headache remedy. Likely a neuro exam, maybe a CT scan.
If she did not give consent for hospital staff to contact family, even for a ride, they cannot (HIPAA).

I have no idea what hospital census trends are in her area, but at the large urban hospital where I work we are packed to the gills and ED is overflowing. She was not in custody, she was medically cleared.
Once someone is discharged from the ED (here) they have to leave. We do have public transportation so they may get a bus ride ticket, but police won't transport.

I think it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation that had a really sad ending.

Didn't the hospital also have the option of contacting her brother so he could pick her up?

As someone mentioned above, there are still too many unknown factors to make a decision or determine a better way to handle these situations. Probably better to wait until there's more information.

This is a really unfortunate situation, but unless more information comes out I'm loathe to blame the deputy. The LEO wasn't transporting someone in custody, instead she was giving someone a ride presumably because there are no other good public transpiration options in such a rural area.

There was no reason for the deputy to think that Donna wouldn't walk up the driveway to her brother's home once she was let out. And if Donna had been able to get a taxi / Uber and had been dropped off in the exact same spot, I don't think we would we be blaming the driver.

It makes sense for both the hospital and the sheriffs office to review their policies and determine how they should handle similar cases in the future. But unless the deputy broke established policy or violated the law somehow, then I just don't see what she did wrong.

For a headache and weakness, per the official timeline. This is very important because unless the person is not of sound mind, they are allowed to leave the hospital when they want and hospital LEGALLY cannot keep them. Where is the mental health episode people are talking about? Could she have been given a medication that made her groggy or delirious? Possibly. But if she had capacity, they can't keep her.

LEO doesn't get to make medical decisions. Those decisions are made by the medical team and the patient. If she didn't want to be examined AGAIN, then the hospital cannot (nor should they) examine her.

I fail to see what the hospital did wrong here.

JMO based on my own expertise.
timeline clearly states that Donna went by ambulance. She was discharged (not AMA but simply discharged as they were done assessing and treating her). Nobody is suggesting that LEO "get" to make medical decisions. I am suggesting that while the hospital thought she was good to go, the LEO had concerns and requested she be reassessed. His request certainly suggests, at least to me, that officer was worried about Donna's state of mind and whether it was advisable for him to arrange her transport home at that time.

My main question remains this - if the hospital had Donna's brother's address to provide to LEO/deputy, why had they not simply contacted her brother FIVE hours prior (upon her discharge at around 6pm) to come and pick her up and see her home safely? Did they not have his phone number?

My main question remains this - if the hospital had Donna's brother's address to provide to LEO/deputy, why had they not simply contacted her brother FIVE hours prior (upon her discharge at around 6pm) to come and pick her up and see her home safely? Did they not have his phone number?
Unless DE gave explicit consent for the hospital to contact her brother, no, they could not call even if they had his phone number. Revealing (without consent, except in true emergency situations) that someone is in/has been treated in a hospital is a HIPAA violation. Typically, staff would offer to call pt's family or have her call from a hospital phone if she didn't have a phone. OR...Maybe she did give consent or tried to call herself, but couldn't make contact.

timeline clearly states that Donna went by ambulance. She was discharged (not AMA but simply discharged as they were done assessing and treating her). Nobody is suggesting that LEO "get" to make medical decisions. I am suggesting that while the hospital thought she was good to go, the LEO had concerns and requested she be reassessed. His request certainly suggests, at least to me, that officer was worried about Donna's state of mind and whether it was advisable for him to arrange her transport home at that time.

He can question that certainly, but your post indicated that the hospital responded by not reassessing her and I'm saying they were under no obligation to reassess her just because LEO had a concern.

We don't know if they did or not, do we? Hospitals aren't going to call a relative if they don't have a release. If that's teh address Donna gave as her home address, then it makes sense to send her to the same address, but they are not allowed to call her brother without a release due to HIPAA.

Donna Eye Obituary
Obituary published on Legacy.com by Cole Family Funeral Home - Ironton on Jan. 24, 2024.

Donna Janine Eye entered into rest on Wednesday, January 17, 2024 at the age of 44 Years, 10 Months, and 9 Days. She was born March 8, 1979 in St. Louis, Missouri, a daughter of Sam and Sara Eye whom survive.

Also surviving Donna are three children, Devan Miller and wife LeaAnn of Middlebrook, MO, Austin Penley and fiancée Abigail Carpenter of Marion, IL, and Emalie Arbuckle and fiancée April Rinker of Herrin, IL; three grandchildren, Hudson, Grayson, and Halsie, one brother Ronnie Eye of Potosi, MO, one sister Dr. Ellen Eye of Orlando, FL, and many more loving family members and friends.

She is preceded in rest by a brother Shane Penley.

As a young woman, Donna attended college and worked several different jobs to support her then growing family. She enjoyed coaching youth basketball for which she volunteered several years, she was a huge fan of crime shows and crime show Facebook groups in her later years, and she was very family orientated and loved spending time watching and cheering on her grandkids in all of their activities; she also said her true friends were her grandkids. She loved having the opportunity to become a stay at home grandma and being able to watch them as much as possible made her feel blessed and at home. Donna truly loved her family, more than some will ever know. Donna Janine Eye will be missed by all who were blessed to know and love her.

A Visitation for friends to gather will be held on Friday, January 26, 2024 at the Cole Family Chapel beginning at 4:00 pm and lasting until 7:00 pm.

A Celebration of Life will be held on Friday, January 26, 2024 at Cole Family Chapel beginning at 7:00 pm.
Ronnie Eye will be officiating the services.

In lieu of flowers, memorials and donations may be made to Cole Family Funeral Home.
https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/donna-eye-obituary?id=54189086

RIP Donna - continued prayers for your loved ones.

one doesn't need to be admitted to the hospital in order to be "discharged" from it. Simply being seen at the ER results in either admission to the hospital or a "discharge" after treatment is complete.

In Donna's instance she was taken by ambulance, examined and treated in ER, and then released from treatment. ie. discharged

regardless of the semantics - that is what occurred. MOO

the term discharged has been used by the press in several instances as well.
--------------------------------------------
Washington County Sheriff Zach Jacobsen confirmed Tuesday that a female sheriff’s deputy dropped Donna Eye, 44, off after she was discharged from the hospital.
Mother, missing 8 days, last seen in Mark Twain National Forest

one doesn't need to be admitted to the hospital in order to be "discharged" from it. Simply being seen at the ER results in either admission to the hospital or a "discharge" after treatment is complete.

In Donna's instance she was taken by ambulance, examined and treated in ER, and then released from treatment. ie. discharged

regardless of the semantics - that is what occurred. MOO

the term discharged has been used by the press in several instances as well.
--------------------------------------------
Washington County Sheriff Zach Jacobsen confirmed Tuesday that a female sheriff’s deputy dropped Donna Eye, 44, off after she was discharged from the hospital.
Mother, missing 8 days, last seen in Mark Twain National Forest
My response was to the poster accusing the hospital of "discharging too soon" and mentioned malpractice. The hospital didn't discharge DE because she was not admitted to the hospital. The ER assessed and determined she was stable which is what they are required to do under the federal Emergency Medical Treatment Act.

JMO

I believe she was discharged too soon. If hospitals did not make mistakes medical malpractice lawsuits wouldn’t exist.

Hospitals make errors, because people are human. But in this case, the patient did not present as being in an emergency. Or appeared to be a danger to herself or others. LEO was called to give her a ride, and they dropped her off where she specified.

I don't see any negligence or crime here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mustanglawton
Back