MO - Elizabeth Olten, 9, St Martin's, 21 Oct 2009 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read ahead so if this has already been discussed, my apologies. I hate to argue with a lawyer but I do believe the aforemention Supreme Court Case only involves crimes that do not include murder.

Yes...correct...the Supreme Court Case involves ONLY juveniles sentenced to LWOP where there is no loss of life

one is in for rape...one is in for multiple burglary charges

the Supreme Court decision will not affect murder or even manslaughter cases

this has been clearly proven and stated here various times

Sorry to bring this up again if it was beat to death, but I wasn't active in the thread when this was solved. This conclusion isn't necessarily true. We don't know how the Supreme Court will hold in these cases.

The Supreme Court could hold that LWOP for minors is a violation of the constitution under all circumstances. This would be a broad holding, but its certainly possible.

Anyway, while those cases are certainly distinguishable, they still will have an effect on the AB cases.

why?? It is only for NON LETHAL cases...of which there are really only a few and mostly in Florida it seems

NON Lethal..:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

why?? It is only for NON LETHAL cases...of which there are really only a few and mostly in Florida it seems

NON Lethal..:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Yeah, but it depends on what the Supreme court holds. The ruling hasn't come down yet.

The SC could limit its ruling to say that LWOP for persons under 18 is unconstitutional in this case, and invalidate whatever statute in Florida allowed these minors to be sentenced as such.

The SC could hold that LWOP for persons under 18 is unconstitutional across the board, as they did with the death penalty.

Again, while ABs case is distinguishable, we don't know how the Supreme Court is going to decide this one. So, since we don't know whether the SC is going to say: this only applies in "non-lethal" cases, we can't say that "it's been proven" these cases will have no effect on the AB case. We don't know.

Jodibug, did you see how Patty looked? It seems bizarre to worry about someone you've never met but I do.....

I've missed something here that I'll bet has already been discussed. Can someone answer this question in a nutshell: How can AB plead not guilty? Is this the first phase toward an insanity defense?

TIA

She can change her plea at anytime.

I've missed something here that I'll bet has already been discussed. Can someone answer this question in a nutshell: How can AB plead not guilty? Is this the first phase toward an insanity defense?

TIA

Everyone pleads "not guilty"..

I don't think they can use "insanity defense" here at all...it is really so limited

any action of hiding/covering up a crime negates it

the last case I have seen that would be a true "insanity defense" is that monster who kiled his fellow bus rider on a Greyhound and stood in front of police cutting off pieces of the victim and eating him

insanity defense is like...they don't know that murder is wrong or punishable or anything...

example...murderer stands over top victim with a knife and waits for police and says "I did a good job...I killed this alien...beam me up"

now..when it comes to the sentencing phase..that is when they can bring in the experts, claim all sorts of mental illness etc....to get a lesser sentence or the best deal

but it is really hard for them to just do a whole trial on "insanity"...hardly ever allowed

I think all "suspects" are usually pled out as "not guilty"...after all our system is "innocent until proven guilty"

I think they use that plea and then put together their defense strategies
and of course in some cases they will try to cut a deal..a plea bargain

in cases where someone has confessed and there is a lot of physical evidence a plea might be a good way to go (this case IMHO)

pics from the hearing are posted

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/photos.aspx?id=387428

uh oh! Someone at KRCG is in trouble! (Is that you, Ladd Eagan?) Security told me that not even the media were allowed to take their cell phones in the courtroom today. And we had a couple of more warnings about them after we were in the courtroom. One officer said he better not see or hear anyone's phone or they would have it taken.

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/photos.aspx?id=387428

uh oh! Someone at KRCG is in trouble! (Is that you, Ladd Eagan?) Security told me that not even the media were allowed to take their cell phones in the courtroom today. And we had a couple of more warnings about them after we were in the courtroom. One officer said he better not see or hear anyone's phone or they would have it taken.

They had video of her coming in the courtroom on KRCG 13 news at noon. Don't know why they have just that pic on the website.

Silly question I know but...here goes anyway. She has obviously had a hair cut and it looks like a pretty good one. Who cuts her hair in jail?

Silly question I know but...here goes anyway. She has obviously had a hair cut and it looks like a pretty good one. Who cuts her hair in jail?

I am not seeing the haircut. I saw her video on the noon news, I thought she needed a haircut.

I just saw the video on CNN,looks like she's trying to keep from smiling,holding her mouth closed.I'm sure she's loving the attention.Lawyers fawn all over thier clients and that's the perspective the suspect gets of how people are seeing them.

I am not seeing the haircut. I saw her video on the noon news, I thought she needed a haircut.

From the photo her hair could be seen as quite stylish to other "emo" compared to the mug-shot, i only say this as i happen to know alot of young people into that scene.

From the photo her hair could be seen as quite stylish to other "emo" compared to the mug-shot, i only say this as i happen to know alot of young people into that scene.

Yeh, her hairstyle appears to me to be the same as it is in her pics before she was in jail. I don't see that it was cut since she was in jail. That was all I was saying.

Did AB take the stand? I wonder how they got this close of a shot of her if she only sat by her attorney. Was media setting in the jury box to get this close of a pix?

Anyone find a video on KRCG from what they ran at noon please post. TIA

Did AB take the stand? I wonder how they got this close of a shot of her if she only sat by her attorney. Was media setting in the jury box to get this close of a pix?

Anyone find a video on KRCG from what they ran at noon please post. TIA

I don't think they posted it on Krcg yet. Guess they are saving it for 6p. Or they gave it to CNN

I just saw the video on CNN,looks like she's trying to keep from smiling,holding her mouth closed.I'm sure she's loving the attention.Lawyers fawn all over thier clients and that's the perspective the suspect gets of how people are seeing them.

Do you mind adding the link? I could not locate the video on CNN. Thanks!

Thanks Jodibug for being our eyes and ears today!

I cannot seem remember so if someone here could remind me, I would appreciate it. Was there ever a bond set for AB? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayc