MO - Elizabeth Olten, 9, St Martin's, 21 Oct 2009 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if anyone of the astute sleuther's here have tried a Google Search with AB's MS ID, but I found a MS group lead by AB. Interesting group profile pic. [ I wonder if AB is on meds. ] I personally found the motto disturbing ... but I read in to things too much.

Not sure if anyone of the astute sleuther's here have tried a Google Search with AB's MS ID, but I found a MS group lead by AB. Interesting group profile pic. [ I wonder if AB is on meds. ] I personally found the motto disturbing ... but I read in to things too much.

"Random acts of Randomness welcome"
or something to the effect.... Disturbing.

FYI kids names are reported in the local newspaper if they do something good in school, like academic awards. If you use the girls name and city she comes up as receiving an academic award. It was an award given to fifth graders. That is the last year for elementary schools here. Then on to 6-8 grades in the middle schools. I think this 15 yr is probably in the ninth grade center now. That is if this is the 15yr old.

Can you please tell me if there was arrest made??? Just got home from work. Boy or girl?

They arrested a 15 year old - no gender given - no new information on the juvenile from LE today...at least that I've seen. HTH

Can you please tell me if there was arrest made??? Just got home from work. Boy or girl?

They have made an arrest. Don't know if it is a boy or a girl. Apparently it is a 15 year old teen and that's all we know. If they try the teen as an adult, we will probably learn more. Hopefully tomorrow.

Salem

New here been reading a while but just joined because of this case.

just read this.

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=367283

If it truely is AB who did this, after reading some of those comments, I feel HORRIBLE for her grandmother/grandparents whichever the case may be.
My own grandparents raised three of my cousins who came from "messed up" backgrounds. one turned out to be a less than model citizen and my grandparents got the blame for it! Yet they did they best they could!

New here been reading a while but just joined because of this case.

just read this.

If it truely is AB who did this, after reading some of those comments, I feel HORRIBLE for her grandmother/grandparents whichever the case may be.
My own grandparents raised three of my cousins who came from "messed up" backgrounds. one turned out to be a less than model citizen and my grandparents got the blame for it! Yet they did they best they could!

Thanks and welcome to WS. I haven't read the article or comments you linked yet but I sure hope they grandparents don't get the blame either, from other comments on here, it sounds like they were trying to do the best they could. Hopefully we will know more about the suspect tomorrow.

FYI kids names are reported in the local newspaper if they do something good in school, like academic awards. If you use the girls name and city she comes up as receiving an academic award. It was an award given to fifth graders. That is the last year for elementary schools here. Then on to 6-8 grades in the middle schools. I think this 15 yr is probably in the ninth grade center now. That is if this is the 15yr old.

I saw that, earlier. I was unsure about the dates. I note that many of her contacts are in high school, though.

So it looks like she got this award at the end of 5th grade/ June 2005. IIRC, it was around that time also that KB was appointed guardian.

President's Award for

Educational Excellence

This award was started to help students achieve academically by rewarding them.

Only students in the exit grade are eligible for this award.

They must earn a 3.5 or better grade point average and achieve in the 85th percentile or higher in math or reading on a standardized test.

Thanks Prof. I haven't looked up any of the MS or FB stuff so didn't know her contacts. I thought it was possible she was at the high school too. Seems she may have taken a wrong turn in the last 4 years. She probably did just start the high school this year. It's just a real shame. She apparently had the academic ability to have a way different life than this.

Jules, also entering middle school and having grandparents take custody was maybe a lot to handle. Middle school seems hard on some kids. The middle school has an exit academic award for the 8th graders like the one for 5th graders too.

Hey capoly - I'm not a legal beagle, but my understanding is that the teens' background will not come into play until it is decided she is guilty. Then her attorney should use her background to mitigate her sentence. Say the sentence is 25 to life - if the attorney can put enough mitigating factors in the mix, her sentence could be 25 years with time off for good behavior. This is a VERY SIMPLISTIC example. All states use their own version of the Model Penal Code and sentencing guidelines, so everything varies.

Hope it helps,

Salem

Hi Salem...

This article gives a brief simplistic insight into MO system....so think I got it.

Now I am a bleeding heart fool so it isn't easy for me to say this...but do feel it be best if this minor is charged as an adult. He/she would be out of DYS custody in 6 years (if I am understanding correctly) if tried as a juvenile........imo that is not acceptable.

Potential sentence could vary for juvenile

"Here in Missouri, we do have what you call 'dual jurisdiction,'" Couty noted, "where an individual could be committed to the Division of Youth Services and, at the same time, to the Department of Corrections."

"Under that state law, if an offender younger than 17 is tried as an adult and is convicted or pleads guilty to the felony charges, the trial judge may "invoke dual jurisdiction of both the criminal and juvenile codes."

When the youth placed in the program reaches 17, the court must decide to continue or revoke the juvenile disposition, impose the criminal sentence or enter another order as the judge sees fit.

The youth cannot remain in the DYS facility after his or her 21st birthday -- but could be ordered to an adult prison.

http://newstribune.com/articles/2009/10/25/news_local/067local05potential09.txt

Semi-OT
Re article below....I lived in Roslindale at the time of his release. Am not positive but seem to recall this case being one of the reasons legislature was sought to change MA law to allow juveniles to be charged as an adult.

BOY'S KILLER, HIS TIME SERVED, TO BE FREED TODAY
Published on March 17, 1992
Author(s): Ray Richard, Globe Staff

Matthew Rosenberg will be freed from a Utah treatment center today, eight years after he admitted the killing of 5-year-old Kenneth Claudio of Roslindale. Rosenberg, who turns 23 today, will be released from custody of the Massachusetts Division of Youth Services, which has had custody of him because he was a juvenile when he killed the boy in 1983. Rosenberg confessed to drowning his young neighbor after Claudio threatened to complain about Rosenberg's attempts to sodomize him.

For reference: Here is a 15 year old girl that was charged with murdering an adult in Florida, tried as an adult and found guilty of first degree murder.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/mostpo...-guilty-of-murder/swjGPv4KMkO9b-j50Jhquw.cspx

The Putnam County teenager will receive an automatic and mandatory life prison sentence after a jury’s first-degree murder verdict. The self-described “redneck cowgirl” will be the youngest girl in Florida’s prison system. She also was convicted of robbery and burglary.

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-08-13/story/putnam_girl_16_convicted_of_1st_degree_murder

I know that 9th grade was very hard on my dear daughter (although I don't think murdering anyone was on her list). A poster summed it up best and I'm sure I'm messing up what they said, but it was something about 2 lives being ruined. And if it was over a cell phone....even more tragic. Oh me.

It says here that a 15yr old girl from Elizabeth's neighborhood was arrested:

Confidential law enforcement sources and St. Martin's residents continue to tell KRCG the suspect to be charged in Elizabeth Olten's death is a 15-year-old girl from Elizabeth's neighborhood

It says here that a 15yr old girl from Elizabeth's neighborhood was arrested:

Confidential law enforcement sources and St. Martin's residents continue to tell KRCG the suspect to be charged in Elizabeth Olten's death is a 15-year-old girl from Elizabeth's neighborhood

At the end of this article it says the 15yr old lives at the house that Elizabeth was coming home from!!!!

At the end of this article it says the 15yr old lives at the house that Elizabeth was coming home from!!!!

Obviously some of the locals will know who this girl is, just from that information. It's amazing her name hasn't been posted on comment boards at news websites or anything.

I live two miles from Elizabeth's house. I have a 15 year old son and I am sure he will know more by the end of the day when he gets home from school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member