MO - Elizabeth Olten, 9, St Martin's, 21 Oct 2009 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to scare anyone......it's just that by now everyone ought to be familiar with "the rules" and know how to abide by them.

Despite what ya'll might think, we are not highly paid professionals here :laugh:.
We're volunteers, have real lives, and don't have unlimited time to edit and delete posts.

That's why we have "the rules" and expect posters to mind them.

Please don't post "edit or delete this if you want." :banghead: It's your job to post properly in the first place.

Does that make sense?

Believe me, we mods are just as outraged by Elizabeth's and Somer's senseless deaths as you are. We still have to enforce "the rules."

Can you imagine what a vulnerable position posters here would place innocent people in if we allowed posters to post people's names, addresses, phone numbers, dates of birth, photos etc. even if those are a matter of public record? :doh::slap:

Can you imagine the damage that could be done to innocent people if we allowed rumors to be posted?:doh::slap:

"The rules" are in place for a reason.

Thanks,

Hoppy

Just wanted to find out if posting regarding a comment TO a news item-- ie the newspaper or news-stations websites where individuals can go on and comment--- is ok? Or does it fall under "rumor".

Someone ref'd a comment made on Huff Post's site, and I found it very useful and interesting to go read that. There were soooo many comments there, it would have been a lot to wade through, so our WS clue on what to look for helped me a lot. But I don't want to post anything in the future that is inappropriate!!
TIA!
Probably shouldn't post a comment on it until it is officially released in the media just to be safe. Better to be safe than sorry. :)

Hey - There is a Haleigh Cummings rumor thread in the parking lot why can't this be moved?

Not trying to scare anyone......it's just that by now everyone ought to be familiar with "the rules" and know how to abide by them.

Despite what ya'll might think, we are not highly paid professionals here :laugh:.
We're volunteers, have real lives, and don't have unlimited time to edit and delete posts.

That's why we have "the rules" and expect posters to mind them.

Please don't post "edit or delete this if you want." :banghead: It's your job to post properly in the first place.

Does that make sense?

Believe me, we mods are just as outraged by Elizabeth's and Somer's senseless deaths as you are. We still have to enforce "the rules."

Can you imagine what a vulnerable position posters here would place innocent people in if we allowed posters to post people's names, addresses, phone numbers, dates of birth, photos etc. even if those are a matter of public record? :doh::slap:

Can you imagine the damage that could be done to innocent people if we allowed rumors to be posted?:doh::slap:

"The rules" are in place for a reason.

Thanks,

Hoppy

BBM

That has to call for some heavy duty emotional control. I absolutely know I could not do the job so thank you, hoppy....thanks to all the Mods, for being willing to put their own emotions to the side for the sake of WS. :hug:

Sorry all, I was being sarcastic about the lack of weekend-news...I'm sitting here on my couch expecting everyone in Jefferson City to be working to keep me informed. :) Just kidding around

No need to apoligize Lawlady. I was just trying to let everyone what kind of area this is so you have an idea why you are not hearing much coming out. So you don't expect a lot of info. coming soon. Just maybe the name if they decide soon if this juvenile can be tried as an adult.

I notices in the school board statement they worded it as something happening to a student.... The murderer is 15yrs old, Elizabeth is 9yrs old. They have more than one student's situation to deal with. Not to mention IF there are siblings of both. Just a little tidbit of info---the pastor performing the funeral had a similar thing to deal with about a little over a yr ago. A 19yr old killed another kid that age. The two boys were friends and in the same church. The pastor had both sets of parents in his church. I don't know if Elizabeth went to church there or if someone connected to the family, but still the pastor has had to do a couple of very heartbreaking funerals in a couple of very horrible situations.

ASSuming that AB is the suspect in custody:

I think that the motive here has something to do with the cell phone. There seems to be a new phenomenon where kids become violent after having their cell phones (video games) taken way. Just recently, my boss was telling me about an incident where a teen hit her mother in the head with a hammer for taking her cell phone away.

Here's an interesting article about teens reacting to losing their cell phones: http://www.noonehastodietomorrow.com/tech/the-internets/800-800

On Monday, October 19, AB updated her myspace status to this:

grounded from my phone fer two effin weeks. can i convince my gparents for a party? maybe.Mood: chill chillPosted at 5:57 PM Oct 19

This post shows up on Twitter by AB on Wednesday
# sittin in classss. bored as f---. i miss my cell phone :,[6:45 AM Oct 21st from web

Elizabeth goes missing that evening.
--------------

I am curious if Elizabeth went to this home every day after school and if something happened on Monday where maybe Elizabeth told on AB, resulting in her losing her phone.

A 2nd theory might be that AB wanted to borrow Elizabeth's phone (not just to use it once) but keep it for a period of time.

I am convinced that this has something to do with the cell phone being taken away. That is, if AB is the suspect in custody.

SBM

my god, if a little girl was killed over a bloody cell phone! ...:furious:

your theory is very convincing - I wasn't aware of that ms posting - I thought her ms was private ...

so she's sitting in class on Wed. posting on Twitter - how is she posting w/o her cell? laptop? friend's phone? OMG Elizabeth's phone???!

how 'bout these freakin' kids focus on school & leave the gadgets in the locker! grrrr

SBM

my god, if a little girl was killed over a bloody cell phone! ...:furious:

your theory is very convincing - I wasn't aware of that ms posting - I thought her ms was private ...

so she's sitting in class on Wed. posting on Twitter - how is she posting w/o her cell? laptop? friend's phone? OMG Elizabeth's phone???!

how 'bout these freakin' kids focus on school & leave the gadgets in the locker! grrrr

The message says "from web", so I assume she posted it from the internet.

I've given this some thought. If this person is the suspect in custody, I am wondering if she went outside and grabbed Elizabeth's phone from her (or asked to use it) and took off running into the woods with the phone. Elizabeth then followed her into the woods to get her phone back. It just seems to me that would be the easiest way to lure a 9 year old into the woods.

I've given this some thought. If this person is the suspect in custody, I am wondering if she went outside and grabbed Elizabeth's phone from her (or asked to use it) and took off running into the woods with the phone. Elizabeth then followed her into the woods to get her phone back. It just seems to me that would be the easiest way to lure a 9 year old into the woods.

Yes, "from web" is from a PC. When posting a tweet from a mobile device it states the name of the software application used on the mobile device like "Tweet Deck" etc.

oh, I wonder if she had a laptop in class or used someone's ... or why that would even be allowed by the teacher ...

Just wanted to find out if posting regarding a comment TO a news item-- ie the newspaper or news-stations websites where individuals can go on and comment--- is ok? Or does it fall under "rumor".

Someone ref'd a comment made on Huff Post's site, and I found it very useful and interesting to go read that. There were soooo many comments there, it would have been a lot to wade through, so our WS clue on what to look for helped me a lot. But I don't want to post anything in the future that is inappropriate!!
TIA!

You can post here and discuss a comment made on another forum as long as you post a link to the comment that you are discussing, AND as long as you are not linking to a forum that's banned here at WS, e.g. SM. You can tell if a link to a site is banned because it will show up as XXXXXXXXX when you try to link to it.

hth,

Hoppy

oh, I wonder if she had a laptop in class or used someone's ... or why that would even be allowed by the teacher ...

IMO, I don't think so, I've worked "computer lab" classes for both of my kids. ( 9 and 11), The teachers are on it. (they have to be) at no time do these kids (at this age) have open access to the internet, the programs these kids work on are purchased by the school, its a 1-2-3 step thing. If this were highschool age I could see where you're coming from.

IMO, I don't think so, I've worked "computer lab" classes for both of my kids. ( 9 and 11), The teachers are on it. (they have to be) at no time do these kids (at this age) have open access to the internet, the programs these kids work on are purchased by the school, its a 1-2-3 step thing. If this were highschool age I could see where you're coming from.

When I was in high school(graduated 5 years ago), my friends and I used to always go in the library computer lab or in the room where computer classes were held. We finished our work and things early and asked if we could go and we were able to do so without supervision all the time. This was at a Catholic high school which was supposedly "strict". So, I am sure it is not impossible for this girl to have access to the internet during a school day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coach K