MO - Elizabeth Olten, 9, St Martin's, 21 Oct 2009 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read somewhere that there was going to be one at 11am CT. I am hoping to learn a little bit more about what happened to poor Elizabeth. I know I will never understand it but I am hoping for some answers as to why she was killed by another kid. :(

Edit: Just found a link confirming the press conference. http://www.kansascity.com/842/story/1527120.html# I wish someone would cover it live on the internet.

I can't find any live links :(

Anyone else? Usually the local Fox station will carry it live. Maybe HLN? I'll try the TV.

Salem

I haven't found any live links either. I don't think anyone has shown any of the PC online. The ConnectMidMissouri site usually updates pretty quickly after the PC though.

All I am getting on the tv is H1N1. Bummer!

Salem

Well there was that mysterious first post yesterday on the first thread which read only..

girl 15

Does this person have information?

It is so frustrating because we have no idea if this PC has even started or not. I have 3 news sites open PLUS their Twitter feeds & I haven't seen anything.

Edit: I forgot about that girl 15 comment. Hmm...guess we'll have to wait & see.

Well when I think of note writing, especially with teens, I would think girl over boy. Boys just don't seem to do much note writing. Didn't someone else give LE a note that led to the questioning (and eventual leading to the body) of the person in custody? I thought I had read that.

There have been some pretty terrible cases of young girls harming and/or killing other girls in the past few years for all kinds of senseless reasons.

Well when I think of note writing, especially with teens, I would think girl over boy. Boys just don't seem to do much note writing. Didn't someone else give LE a note that led to the questioning and eventual leading to the body of the person in custody? I thought I had read that.

There have been some pretty terrible cases of young girls harming and/or killing other girls in the past few years for all kinds of senseless reasons.

BBM

This child killer comes to mind...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Bell

I've always felt it was another girl for some reason. Was weird to me to read "he".

well you never know... and rso's are postable as they SHOULD BE.

Yes, but is all this focus on RSO's the best use of our time?

I will get back to that thought. I have been reading up on the Amber Alert and its effectiveness in the last couple of days. 1. The guidelines and the categories seem to conflict. 2. This program should be standardized, instead of leaving interpretation up to local law enforcement. 3. The categories could be changed to levels of alerts, sort of like our Homeland Security threat monitor. (Amber alerts for witnessed abductions by non-family members; and then other named (after lost children) alerts for family abductions, endangered runaways, those lost on the way home from school or friends' homes, etc.)

That way there might be equal treatment for each level of missing child across the country, regardless of parents' alleged connection to RSO's or any other sort of discrimination. All children are innocents. Obviously there are LE across the country who pay attention to the statistics, and the stranger RSO abduction is the least likely scenario at least in the history of Amber Alerts.

According to the Amber Alert site, and the latest report posted

(http://www.amberalert.gov/pdfs/07_amber_report.pdf)

The Department of Justice’s recommended guidelines are
•There is reasonable belief by law enforcement an abduction has occurred
•The abduction is of a child age 17 or younger
•The law-enforcement agency believes the child is in imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death
•There is enough descriptive information about the victim and abduction for law enforcement to issue an AMBER Alert to assist in the recovery of the child
•The child’s name and other critical data elements, including the Child Abduction flag, have been entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database (p. 3)​
I get the above, but how does it work with these categories below? It conflicts. None of the criteria really fits the LIM or ERU categories. The categories should come first, and then the criteria above would be for the Amber alert. New criteria should be given for the other categories.

When an AMBER Alert is first issued the case is categorized as 1 of the 4 types listed below.
Family Abduction (FA)
Nonfamily Abduction (NFA)
Lost, Injured, or Otherwise Missing (LIM)
An Endangered Runaway (ERU) (p. 4)​

How can the Amber alert have the LIM and ERU category, if the guidelines above are followed?

Anyway, back to RSOs; although I am sure this has been a topic before in these forums, I think it is important to keep in mind:
"Of the 209 abductors involved in AMBER Alerts in 2007, 148 abductors had known relationships with the children" (p. 18).
"Between January 1, 2007, and December 31, 2007, 209 abductors were involved in AMBER Alert activations. Of those 209 abductors, 6 abductors were confirmed via public sex offender registry searches and/or confirmation from AMBER Alert Coordinators as being registered sex offenders" (p. 18)

http://www.amberalert.gov/pdfs/07_amber_report.pdf

Prof (Terry)

FYI- All the comments have been removed from the link I posted above. The comment basically just said that what made the crime worse was that a 15 y/o girl had been arrested.

I have got to go take a shower. I've been waiting for news but I just can't wait anymore. If my husband comes home at lunch and sees me still in my PJ's he probably won't be happy. BBL

Murder charge sought against teen suspect in Elizabeth Olten's death
Advertisement

By Bob Watson, News Tribune
Published: Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:54 AM CDT
Cole County Juvenile authorities have asked the Cole County Juvenile Court to charge a 15 year old with first degree murder for this week's death of Elizabeth Olten, whose body was found Friday.

Sheriff Greg White and Juvenile Authority Director Michael Couty declined to say whether the supsect is a boy or girl.

The authorities have asked for a certification hearing to determine if the 15 year old can be tried as an adult or juvenile.

http://newstribune.com/articles/2009/10/24/news_local/068local02olten09.txt

That's premeditated, and sure not forced. Looks like this was planned....back to the friend's family??

Thanks for the update.

"Authorities think that Elizabeth's original encounter with the suspect occurred about the time she was reported missing.

So I guess that rules out the playmates she was visiting. Did she encounter someone walking home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro