MO - Furious Friends Demand Answers After 3 Men Found Dead at Kansas City Home Days After Watching Football Game, January 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Three Missouri men went to watch a football game at a house in Kansas City, say friends and family.Three days later, those three friends were found dead outside the home.

Days after the bodies of these men were discovered, the Kansas City Police Department is revealing their identities — 38-year-old Ricky Johnson, 37-year-old David Harrington and 36-year-old Clayton McGeeney.
The bodies of all three men were discovered late Tuesday night when McGeeney's fiancée went to the house looking for the men, according to a spokesperson for the Kansas City Police Department.

Two friends of the men who spoke with Inside Edition Digital say that the three had all gone to the house on Sunday to watch the Kansas City Chiefs game, and no one had heard from them since that time.Those friends also claim that calls to the person who is currently living in that house went unanswered in the days after the game, an allegation police would not comment on at this time."

View attachment 474964
Now this is crazy

This is so bizarre.
Let's say the men were still alive when they ended up outside - unless all three were completely incapacitated, wouldn't at least one go back into the house or a neighbour's (if locked out) just meters away? Once they saw their friend start to die?

I know hypothermia can hit hard and fast and make thinking difficult but being so close to the indoors you'd think at least one would have the wherewithal to go inside and get his buddies inside before they all collapsed and died at the exact same time.

Really do wonder if they died inside and were dragged out back.
Imo

Maybe because the resident of the home was inside (warm) vs. outside (freezing)?

Just a guess and MOO.

But how did he manage to get inside and warm but none of them did, would be the question? They were his friends (I assume), it's his backyard, why would any of them have been outside for a prolonged time? It's not adding up.

And if something happened indoors, it's curious that it happened to three out of four people. I feel sorry for their loved-ones. But JMO/MOO.

Well, the DM is saying the homeowner says the men froze to death. Again, the article seems to be from a few days ago.

"Fox Kansas City, citing family members related to the person who lived in the home, said that the three men, who are referred to as 'friends,' froze to death."

and

"The neighbors said that the man who lived in his house was in late forties and that he has been renting it for the past six months. According to KMBC, the owner is from Denver."
It's just so weird for the friend in the home to say they froze to death. WTH? They were guests at his home to watch football, in January during a severe cold spell. How the heck did they freeze to death in his yard?

Did he boot them out of his house? They had cars apparently, so why didn't they just leave if it was cold?

What happened during that afternoon that resulted in 3 dead bodies being left for days in his backyard?

All I can think of is someone handing out some fentanyl laced drugs of some kind. Accidental overdoses which the host failed to acknowledge?

This is so bizarre.
Let's say the men were still alive when they ended up outside - unless all three were completely incapacitated, wouldn't at least one go back into the house or a neighbour's (if locked out) just meters away? Once they saw their friend start to die?

I know hypothermia can hit hard and fast and make thinking difficult but being so close to the indoors you'd think at least one would have the wherewithal to go inside and get his buddies inside before they all collapsed and died at the exact same time.

Really do wonder if they died inside and were dragged out back.
Imo
BINGO---that makes sense. Maybe they all OD'ed inside and the host of the watch party dragged them outside. wow

It was-8 by the end of the game, but as other posters have noted, how do you freeze to death in a populous suburban neighborhood? Even if the friend locked them out, there had to be lots of neighbors at home watching the game. Not much else to go on a night that cold.

Do people really think they can't overdose on drugs such as heroin and cocaine? Maybe the subconscious belief, "We are safe because we're together in a group" comes into play, though.

If this is what happened, isn't it interesting these three men all passed-away, but the resident of the home didn't? I'm glad he didn't, but what made the difference?
All IMO/JMO.
MOO
Generally when people die from fentanyl-laced drugs, it's considered a poisoning, not an overdose, because they aren't overdosing on the actual drug they think they're taking - they're poisoned by an additional substance within the drug and the actual drug amount would not be enough to kill them. They could ingest a very small amount of a drug, not enough to overdose on at all, and still die from the fentanyl.

They could ingest a very small amount of a drug, not enough to overdose on at all, and still die from the fentanyl.

So you are saying people use small amounts of drugs that are virtually always "safe" but still feel something? Wouldn't they quickly build a tolerance? And since fentanyl is toxic in small amounts, how does it benefit the producers to continue adding it to other drugs; they now are losing customers doing this?
ETA: I don't doubt what you're saying. But I don't really understand how recreational drug use can be reliably safe, or how adding fentanyl can be sometimes "safe." I guess obviously both of these things do happen, though.

Last edited:
So you are saying people use small amounts of drugs that are virtually always "safe" but still feel something? Wouldn't they quickly build a tolerance? And since fentanyl is toxic in small amounts, how does it benefit the producers to continue adding it to other drugs; they now are losing customers doing this?
ETA: I don't doubt what you're saying. But I don't really understand how recreational drug use can be reliably safe, or how adding fentanyl can be sometimes "safe." I guess obviously both of these things do happen, though.

Yes, a regular/daily user of drugs can use whatever amount they're tolerant of as long as it's the substance they are tolerant of without automatically overdosing and dying. "Overdosing" refers to taking too much of a drug for your system. Many, many addicts use drugs just to maintain and not go through withdrawals. The high feeling decreases over time as you build up a tolerance, but substance users experience excruciating and sometimes deadly withdrawal symptoms if they stop so they keep using drugs.

I don't think it's considered reliably safe, but I think addicts make calculated choices for survival.

There are tons of documentaries and news stories about the fentanyl industry out there (on youtube too!), I would recommend watching one of those as they explain why fentanyl is even used in "normal" street drugs in the first place.

Also, just saying all of this in general and MOO - I don't get the vibes that the men who passed away were addicts at all.

Last edited:
bbm

Many drug dealers think they can lower the risk of overdose by measuring the fentanyl carefully. If it's done correctly, it creates a return stream of customers because fentanyl is so highly addictive. It's also easier for drug dealers to transport and smuggle because they can use much smaller doses while still offering customers the same high as other opioids. The problem is that most illegal drug manufacturers don't have professional chemistry skills or use medical-grade equipment, so even small mistakes can be fatal. Nevertheless, using fentanyl is so profitable that most drug dealers believe it's worth the risk.

I personally don't think adding fentanyl to recreational drugs could ever be deemed reliably safe and will never understand how a person could be okay making such a life-or-death decision, but I've never been addicted to anything stronger than cigarettes. Although, I do know that if someone had told me there was even the teeniest weeniest chance that I just might drop dead if I smoked another cigarette... I would have quit them cold turkey long before I did. So, there's that.

From the house photo in the article, it looks like it's #5208.

Article says 5200 block of NW 83rd Terrace.

Looking at Google maps, the one that looks like it is #5208. However you can see it only from an angle because someone has had Google blur the home. (However you can see earlier street views of the home which does show it's the same one.)

5208 NW 83 Terrace

View attachment 474998

View attachment 474999

Eta: The backyard seems to be fenced and backs up to a larger road. It also looks like there is a bus stop directly behind the house.
I'm looking at pictures of the host on Zillow, Trulia, etc. and I'm trying to get a feel for where the small window in the basement is in relation to the outside of the house. The article from Inside Edition says "There was no answer at the door on Tuesday night, so McGeeney's fiancée broke into the basement of the residence, a police spokesperson tells Inside Edition Digital." then "She discovered the first dead body on the back porch, according to the police spokesperson."

If I'm reading that correctly, she broke into the house through the basement and then ended up on the back porch and found the body. Just confusing because most pictures of the house make it seem like she would have to go through the backyard to access the basement. And I guess the homeowner wouldn't have been home at this time?

I think the death of these three men will probably go down as misadventure. It was dangerously cold the day of the game -2F but the wind chill factor was making it feel like -24F. It hadn't really snowed that day but Kansas City was dealing with 6 to 8 inches that had previously fallen.

When I look at the obituary image of the guy riding the motorcycle I see a man who isn't really concerned about his physical safety while riding a bike. Probably because he's been doing it for years. I mean, yeah, he knows that you should wear a helmet and probably clothes that protect your body in case of a wipeout so you don't end up looking like ground beef if things go sideways, but here he is riding his bike: no helmet, wearing a short sleeved t-shirt with only one hand on the bars. That tells me a lot about his personality. So if he's not all that concerned with his personal safety while riding a bike, then the possibility is that he didn't dress properly for the weather if he was just going from point A to B, from a car to a house and back. Can't tell about the others.

So lets say all of them are feeling no pain, whether it's from too much booze or a combination of booze and drugs, when it's time to leave after a Chiefs blowout. The homeowner is passed out on the couch, they've never been to the house before or rarely, and mistake the door to the back yard for the front and that's when things go sideways. At first it might be funny falling in the snow but if you're not dressed properly for -24 degrees you are going to be in trouble - fast. Even the neighbours might have heard some laughing and yelling, seeing it as rambunctiousness following a Chiefs win, and ignored it. The homeowner can't hear anything because he's already passed out and within minutes, not hours, these guys are already feeling the effects of the cold. Look at this windchill chart and see how quickly one would be exposed to hypothermia. Minutes not hours. https://www.weather.gov/media/owlie/wind-chill-brochure.pdf

I presume the autopsy will provide the details of what caused their demise. It's sad all around since three little girls are without a father and other families are grieving a loss.

I'm looking at pictures of the host on Zillow, Trulia, etc. and I'm trying to get a feel for where the small window in the basement is in relation to the outside of the house. The article from Inside Edition says "There was no answer at the door on Tuesday night, so McGeeney's fiancée broke into the basement of the residence, a police spokesperson tells Inside Edition Digital." then "She discovered the first dead body on the back porch, according to the police spokesperson."

If I'm reading that correctly, she broke into the house through the basement and then ended up on the back porch and found the body. Just confusing because most pictures of the house make it seem like she would have to go through the backyard to access the basement. And I guess the homeowner wouldn't have been home at this time?

I have no idea. I did notice in the photo of the house in the article, a screen is propped on the front of the house. Looks like it's from the bottom right window which looks like it goes into the garage. I have no idea if the screen being off the window has anything to do with the case, though. Imo.

I have an extremely difficult time believing that three grown men keeled over simply due to the cold. It's REALLY COLD, but people are still going out and doing normal things like shoveling sidewalks and scraping their cars without dying. People in KC are used to this weather - it happens most years. If one person went down, wouldn't the other two and then eventually the last one alive walk 10 meters max and find help?

I have no idea. I did notice in the photo of the house in the article, a screen is propped on the front of the house. Looks like it's from the bottom right window which looks like it goes into the garage. I have no idea if the screen being off the window has anything to do with the case, though. Imo.

When I look at that image of the home, it makes sense to me that it's possible everyone entered the home by the back door. Depending on how much snow was on the ground, the homeowner (renter) probably never used the front door since that would mean he'd have to shovel from the driveway and past the elevated area to the front door. It's likely that if he had a vehicle he entered the home from the garage. If all those guys drove their own vehicles, they probably parked in the driveway and entered the house through the back garden fence to the back door. It does raise a possibility though that all of them came in one vehicle and the homeowner only had one vehicle and let them park in the garage. If he did that and those guys were so inebriated they may have turned on the vehicle, never got as far as opening the garage door and all died of carbon dioxide poisoning. But that would mean the guy moved their bodies to avoid any repercussions which means he wasn't passed out and dragged their bodies from the vehicle to the back yard. That would be pretty cold blooded and doesn't really jibe with his demeanor when coming out to talk to LE after the discovery of the bodies.

I think the death of these three men will probably go down as misadventure. It was dangerously cold the day of the game -2F but the wind chill factor was making it feel like -24F. It hadn't really snowed that day but Kansas City was dealing with 6 to 8 inches that had previously fallen.

When I look at the obituary image of the guy riding the motorcycle I see a man who isn't really concerned about his physical safety while riding a bike. Probably because he's been doing it for years. I mean, yeah, he knows that you should wear a helmet and probably clothes that protect your body in case of a wipeout so you don't end up looking like ground beef if things go sideways, but here he is riding his bike: no helmet, wearing a short sleeved t-shirt with only one hand on the bars. That tells me a lot about his personality. So if he's not all that concerned with his personal safety while riding a bike, then the possibility is that he didn't dress properly for the weather if he was just going from point A to B, from a car to a house and back. Can't tell about the others.

So lets say all of them are feeling no pain, whether it's from too much booze or a combination of booze and drugs, when it's time to leave after a Chiefs blowout. The homeowner is passed out on the couch, they've never been to the house before or rarely, and mistake the door to the back yard for the front and that's when things go sideways. At first it might be funny falling in the snow but if you're not dressed properly for -24 degrees you are going to be in trouble - fast. Even the neighbours might have heard some laughing and yelling, seeing it as rambunctiousness following a Chiefs win, and ignored it. The homeowner can't hear anything because he's already passed out and within minutes, not hours, these guys are already feeling the effects of the cold. Look at this windchill chart and see how quickly one would be exposed to hypothermia. Minutes not hours. https://www.weather.gov/media/owlie/wind-chill-brochure.pdf

I presume the autopsy will provide the details of what caused their demise. It's sad all around since three little girls are without a father and other families are grieving a loss.
I do think this is plausible but IMO, the more suspicious part is the homeowner's behavior in the following 2 days. Friends of the victims' social media posts are quoted in the Inside Edition article linked above and they allege multiple people were calling, texting, showing up at the house, banging on the door, etc. looking for these men and he ignored everything. Even with their cars still parked at his home.

The satellite view shows a driveway area to the right of the house. I'm not sure if there's actually a garage there or it's just a parking spot, but I suspect it's the latter. There's also likely a side door so you can enter the house without walking to the front or back.

5208.jpg

Edit - The zillow listing mentions a two-car garage: 5208 NW 83rd Ter, Kansas City, MO 64151 | Zillow

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member