Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 288DMMO

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/288dmmo.html

Greg Stephan Tilley
Missing since September 18, 1992 from St. Louis, Missouri
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

•Date Of Birth: February 2, 1970
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 22 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'4"; 160-185 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Light brown hair; blue eyes. Fair complexion. Wore glasses and or contacts.
•Dentals: Available
•DNA: Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Greg Tilley was last seen on September 18, 1992. He may have been en route to the West coast.
Greg's 1986, 4 door Chevy Nova was found abandoned in the desert in Eureka County, Nevada in July 1993.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Kirkwood Police Department
314-822-5858

NCIC Number: M-127341619
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
CUE Center For Missing Persons
Missouri Highway Patrol
Help Find Greg Tilley

http://helpfindgregtilley.com/default.aspx
Pictures of Greg's car as it was found, and a map of where it was found.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/tilley_greg.html

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2294/0/
NamUs Profile:
Dental: Available to be entered later
DNA: Sample submitted-tests complete
Fingerprints: NA

Greg's Mother still searches for him.

Greg has been missing almost 18 years. Come home soon.

Attachments

• Greg Stephan Tilley.bmp
    43.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Greg Stephan Tilley1.bmp
    49.3 KB · Views: 8
Some additional pics from Namus:

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/2294/

I just happened upon Greg's case. I wonder if something happened to his vehicle so he tried to hitch a ride with the wrong person? I hope someone comes forward with answers.

Greg Stephan Tilley – The Charley Project
greg_stephan_tilley_1.jpg greg_stephan_tilley_2.jpg greg_stephan_tilley_3.jpg greg_stephan_tilley_4.jpg greg_stephan_tilley_5.jpg greg_stephan_tilley_6.jpg greg_stephan_tilley_10.jpg

Tilley, circa 1992; Tilley's abandoned car

Details of Disappearance
Tilley was last seen in St. Louis, Missouri on September 18, 1992. He may have been en route to the West Coast at the time of his disappearance. He has never been heard from again.

Tilley's four-door 1986 Chevrolet Nova was found abandoned in the desert in Eureka County, Nevada in July 1993. A photo of the car as it was found is posted with this case summary. There was a large hole in its windshield.
Few details are available in Tilley's case. Kirkwood, Missouri police are investigating.

Investigating Agency
Kirkwood Police Department 314-822-5858

For whatever unfortunate reason there appears to be a lot of missing persons cases from St. Louis where "few details are available".

Hi! I just learned of this case. Once they found his car, was there any indications of foul play? Were they able to pull fingerprints from the car?

Last edited:
Was looking into Greg's case and this UP stuck out to me, also found in Eureka County. Not much to go off of, but Greg's not been ruled out yet.

UP68515
D.B.F: July 8, 2019
Location: Roberts Creek Mountain/Western Peak, Eureka County, Nevada
Race: Uncertain
Height: 5' 9"-6' 5"(69-77 inches) , Estimated
Weight: Unknown
PMI: Unknown
Circumstances: Scattered skeletal remains found outside of a shallow grave, and within the grave.

Last edited:
More pictures of his vehicle (that is indeed quite the hole)
1684960058921.png
1684960065623.png
1684960099324.png

Unfortunately it looks like the website Greg's family was running is now down, but on the wayback machine, the car was located here

"Late September of 1992-It was reported that the vehicle had been observed on Tonkin Springs Road ( Eureka ,Nevada) at which time a deputy was dispatched to the scene, but the officer did not locate the same. In the spring of 1993, it was determined that the abandoned vehicle in question was northwest of Tonkin Springs Road on a unnamed two-lane access road. The vehicle was discovered within ten days of Mr Tilley's reported disappearance."

1684963693040.png

Last edited:
It seems that the website that his family set up has another iteration on Wordpress:

There's a link with "additional case info" that has this interesting bit about Greg's car:

"The windshield had been smashed in and the Vehicle Identification Number Plate removed from the dash. They were able to determine that the vehicle belonged to Greg through the Vehicle Identification Number that was still in tack on the drivers side door."

Reactions: nao
It seems that the website that his family set up has another iteration on Wordpress:

There's a link with "additional case info" that has this interesting bit about Greg's car:

"The windshield had been smashed in and the Vehicle Identification Number Plate removed from the dash. They were able to determine that the vehicle belonged to Greg through the Vehicle Identification Number that was still in tack on the drivers side door."
interesting find on the VIN plate being removed, kind of doubt that Greg would do that for any reason... Seems malicious to say the least. One thing that gets missed often in his description is that the car was burned... you can see the hood and roof are burnt in the photos. Only NAMUS and a poster from the St louis area PD have this info included from what i can see...now maybe a brush fire swept through there or a lightning strike but it would seem that it was possibly dumped and attempted to set on fire...Id really like to see exactly where the car was found...It said it was reported to be on tonkin springs road but couldnt be found when they went to check? then it was found nearly a year later on an access road to the northwest. Puzzling case to say the least. Wonder if theres any info being withheld?

With literally nothing to do, all we can do is speculate. The articles even say she “may have been traveling to the west coast.” If his family or friends haven't revealed that detail then they probably don't know what she was doing either...

It seems he was on West 80, just past Elko, and just wanted to get into the wilderness... So he turned left at the next small town (Carlin) and headed toward the vast expanse of nothingness on the highway. Extremely rural Nevada. There's nothing around where he was and there's no reason for a kid from Missouri to go there...

I would love to know more about his mental well-being at that time. Because to me this screams “I hate this here and I'm extremely depressed and I'm going to go as far as I can and kill myself.” He probably just wanted to disappear completely and also didn't want the car to be found, so he tried to get rid of the vehicle's VIN and maybe tried to burn it (although it doesn't look like "burned" to me and I can't find confirmation of that detail). I'm not sure why he broke his windshield and would need more details. Maybe shoot it for target practice? Also, did he take off his license plate? Found by cowboys, because there isn't a soul else out there.

Unfortunately to me this looks like a suicide committed in the middle of nowhere with an attempt to hide the car to hide the trace of it....
rest in peace

There is an unidentified body in the vicinity of where his vehicle was found. If these coordinates are correct its within about a 5 mile give or take radius of where his vehicle was located. 39.914606 -116.376864 Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP68515 it was found in 2019. Wonder if anyone has submitted Greg as a possible match for this doe.

edit...just noticed someone posted this earlier in the thread...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomasfrank
Back