MO - Grief and protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is not just the departments responsibilty. They could sponsor a cadet program, but that is a liability up to the city to decide. Schools, families and city leaders need to encourage young people to learn about jobs in law enforcement. There several police agencies not just Ferguson to learn that. Getting kids to want jobs in law enforcement anywhere is the key to changing the numbers in Ferguson and surrounding areas. I do know police agencies have tried to get minorities to apply and they just don't get the applications. It is going to take the whole community to encourage that not just the departments. jmo This was a reply to Reedus and again I am doing something wrong with this new software and it doesn't respond to Reedus post.

Many thanks vjlaw. I don't disagree with everything you say. I don't doubt different approaches have been tried. I also don't doubt that they haven't met with great success. Really, I agree with everything you say.

I agree about the community needing to be involved. I'm not sure if you're from Ferguson or the surrounding area or out of the state of Missouri, but my take on it is that for so long there has been a strained relationship between law enforcement and the community that no one there wanted to be a cop. The cops were people to distrust and not emulate. That relationship between the department and the community has to be fixed first. Both have to get to know each other as human beings first and then as cops/citizens. I am convinced most people on both sides are good people and they may actually like each other. Once that relationship and trust is built, I think it becomes a little bit easier to say to kids, "Hey, we really WANT you to join us. You know us. We're good people. We are people that you want to emulate." That relationship has to be fixed first otherwise visiting that kid in his school is going to be just mindless chatter to the kid when he has a lifetime of distrust weighing on him as well.

interesting, i dont know if it should be surprising, but definitely interesting - gov. nixon just said he does not know the name of the officer involved, seems like maybe he would have wanted to hear some background info on the officers record by now or something idk he then went on to say he thinks it should be released as expeditiously as possible given safety concerns etc

The Missouri State Highway Patrol "will be directing the team that provides security" in Ferguson, Gov. Jay Nixon said today.

Ferguson has "looked a little bit more like a war zone, and it's not acceptable," he said.

The town is a "powder keg," the city's Police Chief Thomas Jackson said, ahead of yet more protests expected after the police shooting of African-American teenager Michael Brown.

Get complete coverage of breaking news on CNN TV, CNN.com and CNN Mobile.

The cops in Ferguson NEED pulled off this for everyone's sake. They have done wrong!!! So have the rioters and looters. If the cops are taken away and more normalized policing happens and they ALLOW the PROTESTERS to demonstate, then the looting and rioting will stop too! My fiancee and I were pulled over by a county officer and he had his gun out and by his leg... why? Because the liscence plate wasnt on the front of the car ( my guy just moved back to here from NC and it isnt a 2 plate state and for got) The cop had no reason to have his gun out. NONE. My 15 month old son was in the back. My guy is a combat vet with ptsd, I have ptsd from a home invasion and abuse.. Now if we were other people than who we are with that sort of past, who knows what could have happened. There is video of police stealing money they arrested an alderman for " not listening" 2 reporters for not packing bags fast enough. The looters are burning gas stations, running around with shot guns and getting shot.. looting shoe stores 15 miles from where this happened... It is ridiculous! Everyone is egging each other on and NO ONE wants to try to step back and go " hey we should try this..."... So many people are saying its a race thing.. but the thing is no one knows the race of the cop... there have been a few pics of Brown supposedly.. holding a gun with cash in his mouth saying " is THIS AN INNOCENT KID??" Well... he didnt have a gun on him at the time.. noone knows what happened because the cops arent being really clear... I have pics of me with guns.. and with around 25 k in cash with an 18 year old bottle of Glenfidditch... Neither me nor this kid should be judged based on a pic. The cops should not be blamed for all this, but they arent helping... thank GOD there is some out side help coming..... BEARCATS M4's etc shouldnt be used to police a protest.....

interesting, i dont know if it should be surprising, but definitely interesting - gov. nixon just said he does not know the name of the officer involved, seems like maybe he would have wanted to hear some background info on the officers record by now or something idk he then went on to say he thinks it should be released as expeditiously as possible given safety concerns etc

I am sure he knows it but isnt saying... and neither should he not till there is CALM from this...

He knows. He is trying to portray himself as an objective, unbiased party. If he says he knows the name, he is then seen as being in cahoots with Ferguson and St. Louis County. In order to restore order, the new people coming in have got to be perceived as completely neutral. Don't be surprised if it's Nixon that releases the name, not Ferguson, so he can be viewed as impartial and even on the side of the people even though the name was going to be released anyways.

This so called protest is nothing more than criminals taking an opportunity wreak havoc; it is unacceptable --- and by whatever means necessary the police must gain control - the behavior is outrageous.

By Whatever means necessary? This is a democracy and we are bound by laws and our laws are supposed to be grounded by the Constitution.

It's my opinion that far too many people in LE believe in "whatever means necessary " instead of the law. Too many abuses, people are sick of it. I am sick of it and I am a 50 something white, middle class, taxpaying, gainfully employed, homeowning US citizen, who has never in my life been arrested.

Too many abuses and people are sick to death of it. I believe you will see far more of this across the country. Here is So. CA. we had a mentally ill young man beaten to death by two cops and just the other night a mentally handicapped young man was shot by cops. Both men were unarmed and witnesses in both cases said the cops attacked first, they were not defending themselves. I totally believe it.

Give some people a gun and a badge and they simply cannot handle it properly. The proffesion naturally attracts bullies.

Yes, there are good cops. Unfortunately, the bullies seem to make most of the headlines.

The cops in Ferguson NEED pulled off this for everyone's sake. They have done wrong!!! So have the rioters and looters. If the cops are taken away and more normalized policing happens and they ALLOW the PROTESTERS to demonstate, then the looting and rioting will stop too! My fiancee and I were pulled over by a county officer and he had his gun out and by his leg... why? Because the liscence plate wasnt on the front of the car ( my guy just moved back to here from NC and it isnt a 2 plate state and for got) The cop had no reason to have his gun out. NONE. My 15 month old son was in the back. My guy is a combat vet with ptsd, I have ptsd from a home invasion and abuse.. Now if we were other people than who we are with that sort of past, who knows what could have happened. There is video of police stealing money they arrested an alderman for " not listening" 2 reporters for not packing bags fast enough. The looters are burning gas stations, running around with shot guns and getting shot.. looting shoe stores 15 miles from where this happened... It is ridiculous! Everyone is egging each other on and NO ONE wants to try to step back and go " hey we should try this..."... So many people are saying its a race thing.. but the thing is no one knows the race of the cop... there have been a few pics of Brown supposedly.. holding a gun with cash in his mouth saying " is THIS AN INNOCENT KID??" Well... he didnt have a gun on him at the time.. noone knows what happened because the cops arent being really clear... I have pics of me with guns.. and with around 25 k in cash with an 18 year old bottle of Glenfidditch... Neither me nor this kid should be judged based on a pic. The cops should not be blamed for all this, but they arent helping... thank GOD there is some out side help coming..... BEARCATS M4's etc shouldnt be used to police a protest.....

Hey liz. Thanks for posting and so sorry for what you have gone through. I really think things will be different now that Ferguson and the County aren't running the show. I really hope and think Nixon is going to do it right. There's obviously going to be a police presence but hopefully there's not a military presence. If they are, in fact, doing their part and doing the right thing, then we need to do our part too. We need to let people know that regular highway patrol presence is ok. We need to let the people know, this is a win for them. There is no longer a need for the looting or rioting. Violence at this point shows the world that it wasn't about the heavy handedness of Ferguson or the County because they've been removed from the picture. If you're at the protests, protest loud and proud. But if you see someone starting to cross that line, stop them. Get your friends together to tell them, man, don't do that. Our message is already getting out and if you do that it's only going to mute the message.

Thanks again for posting and stay safe.

People are mistaking the looters and rioters for protesters... by what ever means necssary my rearend.. I agree with you!i hope this is resolved soon I hate being hyper vigilant!

My butt is staying indoors and only going out if needed... this is insane actions on both LEO's and civvy's parts...

So if they take the cops away and let the protesters demonstrate the looting and rioting will stop?

So if they take the cops away and let the protesters demonstrate the looting and rioting will stop?

i dont know who you are talking to but i certainly havent seen anyone say or imply that.

there will definitely be some amount of people out there tonight that will get out of control, but it isnt everyone, it is a small percentage of the people.

Not what I am saying.. BOTh need to back off.. tear gassing groups of PROTESTERS will only make others angry or use it as an excuse.. have you seen some of the pics? bearcats ( Like an armored personel carrier) and what is basically an m4.... mix that up with cops yelling back at protester that they will shoot.. blocking off entire streets, closing places down because there are protests near them... it stirs the pot. Its WHY the troopers were called in the cops and civvy's over reated. BIG TIME to each other... as my nephew said its a wee wee swinging contest with blood and bullets...

Hey liz. Thanks for posting and so sorry for what you have gone through. I really think things will be different now that Ferguson and the County aren't running the show. I really hope and think Nixon is going to do it right. There's obviously going to be a police presence but hopefully there's not a military presence. If they are, in fact, doing their part and doing the right thing, then we need to do our part too. We need to let people know that regular highway patrol presence is ok. We need to let the people know, this is a win for them. There is no longer a need for the looting or rioting. Violence at this point shows the world that it wasn't about the heavy handedness of Ferguson or the County because they've been removed from the picture. If you're at the protests, protest loud and proud. But if you see someone starting to cross that line, stop them. Get your friends together to tell them, man, don't do that. Our message is already getting out and if you do that it's only going to mute the message.

"We need to let the people know, this is a win for them. There is no longer a need for the looting or rioting.

I don't understand this statement at all. What is a "win" for them? I thought the protests were about a dead young man, not a "win". And, BTW, what did they win?

Secondy, "There is no longer a need for the looting or rioting." Was there ever a NEED for rioting and looting.

I'm scratching my head at this thought process, not sure what it means.

"There is no longer a need for the looting and rioting."

And just why is rioting and looting ever needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay