GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OT: Louisiana's state male prison, Angola has a death row. Our weather is hot, hot and humid. A group is pleading with our state reps to air condition that wing b/c it's in humane.
One of the pleading in that case murdered my best friend and their son. He doesn't deserve air to breathe most less cold air for comfort. All our prison are making death row easier than general prison grounds. 20 years before they die..... A pretty comfortable 20 years I might add. It's not safe anywhere anymore!

(BBM)

I respectfully disagree. JMO but I happen to think he was very "seasoned" and, as a result, became overly confident in himself/his skills - This led to him slipping up, which is often the case with serial offenders. Yes, I do happen to think he's a serial offender.

Well one thing's for certain, time will tell. What I do know is four hours from abduction to recovery of remains to formal charges isn't the footprint of most serial killers. Even the dumbest manage to evade LE for a few days.

Everyone is *repeatedly* missing the point and replying with things the witnesses did AFTER she was grabbed. I won't pursue this any longer as you all continue to state only what actions were done AFTER she was abducted.
Because the reality is there was no shout, or no action taken BEFORE Hailey was grabbed.

I'll refer to the USA Today video, which is the witness himself, in his own words. He was in a garage extremely close to Wood's vehicle and Hailey, and he did not shout out while he sat there hearing Wood ask Hailey questions. The fact is,, nobody did anything or move an inch prior to Hailey being grabbed (outside the vehicle and after the perp opened the door)

USA Today Witness Video

Honest question (for those brave enuf to answer):
Now if your 10 yr old were seen talking to a 45 yr old male stranger in a car, honestly, would you be completely understanding and comfortable with a nearby adult merely watching an obvious (to me) setup for a possible abduction, without that adult taking action BEFORE your child was grabbed? Just so long as he took the perp's license tag number, all would be ok?

I'd like to concentrate on the actual perp now, but keep getting an influx of faulty defenses re the witness's actions.

I think if I saw a car pull up to a child, it might take me a few seconds to figure out if the driver was her dad/uncle/neighbor before it hit me that he was trying to abduct her. It sounds to me like as soon as he realized it was a problem, he reacted but it was too late. As someone said earlier, we don't all assume the worst at every situation.

There's been a lot of speculation about the condition of poor Hailey's body, understandably. The lack of forthright answers from LE when questioned about it contributes to that but I know they have their reasons for containing information. IMO, it's entirely possible that her body was semi-hidden and therefore could not be immediately identified. (Maybe I'm just trying to be optimistic) LE could have seen a portion of her body, then went to get their search warrant, came back and had to extricate her. They would be intent on preserving evidence at that point, not rapidly trying to save a life. Just a thought.....

I agree with the above poster. He was overly confident... too confident for a first time offender. I'd bet money some kids at that school come forward, and perhaps a few cold cases can be traced back to this guy.

What creeps me out is that teachers have the summer off... lots of time for roadtrips. I hope they run his DNA through the nation wide system and forward his info along to other states.

I agree with the above poster. He was overly confident... too confident for a first time offender. I'd bet money some kids at that school come forward, and perhaps a few cold cases can be traced back to this guy.

What creeps me out is that teachers have the summer off... lots of time for roadtrips. I hope they run his DNA through the nation wide system and forward his info along to other states.

Wow, good thinking. Ugh :(

he reminds me a bit (so far) of John Albert Gardener (Chelsea King and Amber Dubois)

bbm: I believe I have read that he was a para (not a teacher)?

I think if I saw a car pull up to a child, it might take me a few seconds to figure out if the driver was her dad/uncle/neighbor before it hit me that he was trying to abduct her. It sounds to me like as soon as he realized it was a problem, he reacted but it was too late. As someone said earlier, we don't all assume the worst at every situation.

Exactly. Springfield is a pretty big city, it is not like everyone knows everyone and therefore you would know whether or not the two knew each other. Even someone driving by multiple times in the small town I live in, I may notice that its happening and may pay closer attention, but I'm not going to stare at the person driving up and down the street. Most likely the witnesses were not concentrating 100% on this event, even if it was a bit concerning to them.

THIS is why people hesitate to get involved...all the second guessing and criticism of how the witnesses reacted.

How about some second guessing and criticism of the MAN who kidnapped and killed Hailey? So frustrating....:banghead:

Good post.

What's really disgusting here is this 'person' decided to molest and murder a young girl. Now he's not talking. He's probably proud of what he did. Who knows.

But we do know that he'll be provided a team of lawyers who will delay, obstruct, obfuscate, and otherwise do everything they can to put off justice indefinitely. That's the usual pattern. In the meantime he'll enjoy three meals a day, free medical and dental care, and have all the attorneys he needs to manage the years (or even decades) of appeals that will follow upon his conviction.

THAT's what's really disgusting here, in addition to the horrific nature of the crime itself.

Were you there? I have enough info to make that assessment of what I think easily could have been done different, with a much better outcome. I've saved a life or two with a 1 second shout, in critical scenarios of 5 seconds or less. So my talk and insight are not just frivolous second-guessing. Those were active shooters, not an abduction, but the same rules apply.

I was also furious at the 2 hr delay in Amber Alert issuance. That is totally inexcusable to say the least. It defeats every single purpose of the AA system.

You mentioned that you have been around active shooters on more than one occasion, may I ask if you are in law enforcement?

Not only that but he was only part time anyway, so he had plenty of time.

He reminds me more of a David Westerfield vs a seasoned psychopath.

There's been a lot of speculation about the condition of poor Hailey's body, understandably. The lack of forthright answers from LE when questioned about it contributes to that but I know they have their reasons for containing information. IMO, it's entirely possible that her body was semi-hidden and therefore could not be immediately identified. (Maybe I'm just trying to be optimistic) LE could have seen a portion of her body, then went to get their search warrant, came back and had to extricate her. They would be intent on preserving evidence at that point, not rapidly trying to save a life. Just a thought.....

They first checked the house at 8:30 (iirc) to see if there was someone in need of assistance. No one was found to need assistance. They came back with a search warrant at 2:30am. At 2:50am they found what was determined 7+ hours later to be a small female body.

I'm sure the presser is recorded somewhere. It makes it pretty clear that they weren't sure that what they found was a human or female at the time of it's finding. It wasn't until 10:45am CST that they said with confidence that it was a young female human body.

He was hired part time in 1998, he has been full time since 2006. According to the presser at 11am.

Thanks! I wasn't able to catch that and didn't see that anywhere. Definitely would have had time in the past though if this was not his first offense...

Good post.

What's really disgusting here is this 'person' decided to molest and murder a young girl. Now he's not talking. He's probably proud of what he did. Who knows.

But we do know that he'll be provided a team of lawyers who will delay, obstruct, obfuscate, and otherwise do everything they can to put off justice indefinitely. That's the usual pattern. In the meantime he'll enjoy three meals a day, free medical and dental care, and have all the attorneys he needs to manage the years (or even decades) of appeals that will follow upon his conviction.

THAT's what's really disgusting here, in addition to the horrific nature of the crime itself.

The fact that he's not talking even furthers my suspicion this is not his first horrendous crime. If it was, he may be more forthcoming. IMO, he's saving up his info as a bargaining chip.

One of the pleading in that case murdered my best friend and their son. He doesn't deserve air to breathe most less cold air for comfort. All our prison are making death row easier than general prison grounds. 20 years before they die..... A pretty comfortable 20 years I might add. It's not safe anywhere anymore!

In California, there are some inmates who have been on Death Row since 1979. That's right, 35 years! And no closer to execution than when they arrived there.

It's an incredible scandal. Last week three former governors got together to announce a ballot initiative that would greatly speed up the process, and clean up the corrupt appeals system. I'll be voting for that if it qualifies for the ballot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MG89