GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he was desperate. Why would he abduct her in daylight in front of witnesses. He was in an uncontrollable state and in his mind nothing was going to deter him. This is why these people are so dangerous. They are driven and don't care about anything at the time. They often get away because there are no witnesses as good at the one's that witnessed Hailey's abduction. How often do we get a licenses plate?

This is true what you've written here about him being desperate.

From my 10+ years of research here at the University of Armchair Sciences; I've learned quite a bit about how desperate they get. There are usually several failed attempts just prior to this actual abduction.

Rather than discouraging them, this drives them even more. They become desperate and in their twisted nearly addicted thinking, they truly are not thinking straight and will eventually approach groups of children just like this man did.

My understanding is that had this failed they often will resort to a weapon.

The only saving grace here is that understanding his level of desperation tells me that she was undoubtedly passed away quite quickly after the event.

Paige, I am going to just come out here and say that I am not sure how much this system really works... this does work best if it crosses state lines? I think there really needs to be some other sort of alert that can be immediately activated.

My friend Tina Harmon Murder of Tina Harmon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (that is wikki so please let me bring something else over in a sec) was taken just like this. In seconds. On a busy street where everyone knows everyone and if someone gets in a car or is drawn off you would think someone would see something... not here... No one saw a thing other then her buying candy in a little store in town. She was snatched in SECONDS (just like this case). and fwiw Robert Buell, who also is tied to at least one other murder and the woman that he snatched that ran out of his house naked and screaming and escaped him.. well that man was a city planner for Akron.

You can never know who is who and who does what and I tell you guys.. not a day goes by that I don't think about Tina <----if we would have had 911 back then it could have made the difference ( and fwiw we were still on party lines at the time).:twocents:

We agree. Unless a snatcher is caught in the act and an abduction is thwarted, AAs and/or 911 calls aren't going to stop someone hellbent on killing another. The statistics speak for themselves. Sad but true. Samantha Runnion and countless others like your friend are not not going to be saved by an alert system in nearly all cases. This case is probably the most immediate I've seen and it did zero good.

I'm probably way wrong but I think he's a first timer. Reminds me of April Jones' killer. Anyone know if they've taken any computers from the house? I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's been watching child *advertiser censored*.

Surely if he had done something like this before he wouldn't go to the laundromat, leaving a body behind? Or drive around in a truck that you must know was seen during the abduction?

Regardless of what he did to Hailey, if he hadn't somehow wrapped her or put her in a container, going to wash his clothes seems premature. If he's smart enough to be a teacher he ought to be smart enough to know about trace evidence, and that if he then had to dispose of Hailey he would have to do another load of laundry. People might notice that.

I set up a Group Candle page, "HMO" for Hailey M. Owens at gratefulness.org.

Please light a candle for the safe return of Hailey M. Owens. A "group" candle page, "HMO" has been set up for Hailey at gratefulness.org.

There is no charge for lighting a candle. You can leave a brief message, i.e., thought, prayer, etc. with your candle. Also, you can light as many candles as you desire.

Thank you in advance . . .

Special prayers for Hailey that she will be found safe real soon.

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=HMO
gratefulness.org - Group "HMO" for Hailey M. Owens
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please light a candle for Hailey! Thanks!

Ann-Tx I just want to THANK you!! I lit a few candles .... I am bringing your link forward, so that others may light a candle in Hailey's memory :angel::silenced::blowkiss::tyou::heartbeat: :frown:

So if this guy is connected to other missing persons, I hope they keep an eye on him in lock down. I dont want him to end his life if he's hiding others, or the info to or about others.

I'm by all means a paranoid, hyper vigilant parent. 90% of the time I walk my daughter to class and pick her up from her classroom. The other 10% of the time I park right outside the school and watch her walk in/out.

There are many kindergartners that walk to and from school. I think this is absurd, I keep an eye on a couple of them as they walk part of the route I take to drop my daughter off.

At what age do most people allow their kids to walk to and from school? I don't know that I'll ever be okay with it. Once she has her own car she can drive, until then I plan to drive her.

It seems, based on no statistics and only on cases I've followed, that most kids that are abducted by strangers off of the street are 8-11 year old girls.

My kids are 11 and 13. It's only been this year that I've allowed them to walk to/from the bus stop alone (which is't far), but even this, I question. They go the same school and walk together.

Paige, I am going to just come out here and say that I am not sure how much this system really works... this does work best if it crosses state lines? I think there really needs to be some other sort of alert that can be immediately activated.

My friend Tina Harmon Murder of Tina Harmon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (that is wikki so please let me bring something else over in a sec) was taken just like this. In seconds. On a busy street where everyone knows everyone and if someone gets in a car or is drawn off you would think someone would see something... not here... No one saw a thing other then her buying candy in a little store in town. She was snatched in SECONDS (just like this case). and fwiw Robert Buell, who also is tied to at least one other murder and the woman that he snatched that ran out of his house naked and screaming and escaped him.. well that man was a city planner for Akron.

You can never know who is who and who does what and I tell you guys.. not a day goes by that I don't think about Tina <----if we would have had 911 back then it could have made the difference ( and fwiw we were still on party lines at the time).:twocents:

This brings me to tears. I'm so sorry about your friend. One of the reasons I think I'm so drawn to these cases is that I had a man approach me when I was about 8 and playing just a half a block from my brother and his friends.

He pulled up, asked me for directions to someone's house I had never heard of and then asked me to step closer to the car. Luckily I have always had good instincts and I immediately began running toward my brother.

This was about 1972-73.

This type of action has been happening since forever and I'm just hoping someday we all can figure out a better way to PREVENT it so that friends and family like yours don't have to spend years grieving and wondering.

I'm probably way wrong but I think he's a first timer. Reminds me of April Jones' killer. Anyone know if they've taken any computers from the house? I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's been watching child *advertiser censored*.

Surely if he had done something like this before he wouldn't go to the laundromat, leaving a body behind? Or drive around in a truck that you must know was seen during the abduction?

Regardless of what he did to Hailey, if he hadn't somehow wrapped her or put her in a container, going to wash his clothes seems premature. If he's smart enough to be a teacher he ought to be smart enough to know about trace evidence, and that if he then had to dispose of Hailey he would have to do another load of laundry. People might notice that.

This is all based on the assumption he noticed that people saw him. Perhaps this was his M.O. (borrowing vehicles) and he'd never been noticed before, and did not know he was noticed this time? He may have been getting too confident....

The person knew him in high school. He wasn't buying drugs from his students. Please let's not start rumors about the school.

The school he taught at was a great school in a decent part of town. As far as I know drugs are not a problem there. Just providing backup to your post. :)

My kids are 11 and 13. It's only been this year that I've allowed them to walk to/from the bus stop alone (which is't far), but even this, I question. They go the same school and walk together.

Your a good parent.

Sadly from the compiled statistics on abductions like this, these kids aren't kidnapped miles from their home they are kidnapped within blocks from their home.

We need to teach our kids self awareness, self defense, screaming, kicking, hollering, punching, biting. The instant that man stopped to talk to them we need to teach INSTANT REACTION, INSTANT REJECTION.

But instead we teach our children to be respectful of adults and nice to people and it takes everyone off guard.

does this perp have a FB page -- couldn't seem to locate one.

Suspect in past told court officials he had troubles with alcohol, once studied criminal justice

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20140219/NEWS01/302190101/Craig-Michael-Wood-HAILEY-OWENS

"Three convictions in Wood’s past — the most recent more than a dozen years ago — show issues with apparent substance abuse as well as a history of blackouts.

His most recent conviction was in 2001 for illegally taking of wildlife. Court documents say Wood used an unplugged shotgun while turkey hunting near Ritter Elementary.

A 1990 conviction, for possession of marijuana, reveals that Wood described some relatives as “a bunch of boozers” and himself struggled with alcohol. He said his parents never touched illegal drugs and did not drink to excess, but he described a more distant relative as an alcoholic.

He told officials at a court-ordered drug education program that he had had experienced 40 to 50 blackouts by the time he was 22.

He also described a past conviction — not detailed in the drug program assessment included in court documents — for careless and imprudent driving. He told officials he had originally been charged with driving while intoxicated in that 1987 case, but pleaded the charge down.

“Craig reports worrying about his drinking,” the assessment report notes. It also says Wood told drug program officials “but not so much with the dope because I never had any trouble putting it down.”

He also told officials he had “ a reputation” in high school and was suspended once."

More at link.

I agree with that, 3x1ymama. That is the most reasonable and accurate explanation on the subject of the witnesses. I tried to go "there" mainly, but everyone got so overboard on defense of the witnesses, which raised my responses to a higher level to match the onslaught.

However, it should not be a crime for anyone just wanting bystanders/witnesses to have a little more awareness and pre-emptive caution anytime a child is confronted in this similar type street-scenario.

One always hopes for more awareness. I have a sister that never watches her children in public. No matter what I say to her, she just doesn't see the danger. Our mother is the same way. They always say they would bring them back. They think I am paranoid, which I probably am. But I see them as naive. Bad things happen to good people all the time.

Suspect in past told court officials he had troubles with alcohol, once studied criminal justice

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20140219/NEWS01/302190101/Craig-Michael-Wood-HAILEY-OWENS

"Three convictions in Wood’s past — the most recent more than a dozen years ago — show issues with apparent substance abuse as well as a history of blackouts.

His most recent conviction was in 2001 for illegally taking of wildlife. Court documents say Wood used an unplugged shotgun while turkey hunting near Ritter Elementary.

A 1990 conviction, for possession of marijuana, reveals that Wood described some relatives as “a bunch of boozers” and himself struggled with alcohol. He said his parents never touched illegal drugs and did not drink to excess, but he described a more distant relative as an alcoholic.

He told officials at a court-ordered drug education program that he had had experienced 40 to 50 blackouts by the time he was 22.

He also described a past conviction — not detailed in the drug program assessment included in court documents — for careless and imprudent driving. He told officials he had originally been charged with driving while intoxicated in that 1987 case, but pleaded the charge down.

“Craig reports worrying about his drinking,” the assessment report notes. It also says Wood told drug program officials “but not so much with the dope because I never had any trouble putting it down.”

He also told officials he had “ a reputation” in high school and was suspended once."

More at link.

THIS you are able to find and he was still hired to work with kids? Who was running the show there.

:banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members