GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
[video=twitter;926219470447759360]https://twitter.com/HKeeganNL/status/926219470447759360[/video]

I posted the tweet so maybe those that hit the paywall might be able to access the News and Leader newspaper.

I am sure it has been tough on Hailey's mother, may she find some peace and comfort when this trial is finished.

3:15 Court adjourns for the day after attorneys argue over motions on how to proceed with sentencing. Defense asked to throw out an aggravating factor involving depravity of mind and torture; says it's vague and violates Wood's constitutional rights. Judge denies motion.
Defense asked to limit victim impact statements, doesn't want events like the candlelight vigil held for Hailey to influence the jurors. Judge to rule on this Friday morning.
State asked to limit the testimony of a Catholic priest who will speak on Wood's behalf. Prosecutor doesn't want priest to speak about the church's position on the death penalty as it may influence the jury. Judge agrees and will only allow the priest to testify as it pertains to Wood.

Three instructions for the jury were discussed.
2:45 Court resumes. Craig Wood not present. His attorney says he chose to go back to the jail to rest.
1:35 Court recessing and coming back around 2:30 to take up motions in the case. Jury is done for today.

Adding another thanks from me, jggordo, for keeping us updated on this trial. You've been great! Thanks, also, to the jurors who had the strength to endure this trial. So sorry they had to see and hear some terrible things, but they've done a good job.

No winners in this case, but I'm sure her family is glad its nearly over. I feel for them, though, if he gets DP and they would have preferred LWOP.

RIP Hailey

[video=twitter;926219470447759360]https://twitter.com/HKeeganNL/status/926219470447759360[/video]

I posted the tweet so maybe those that hit the paywall might be able to access the News and Leader newspaper.

I am sure it has been tough on Hailey's mother, may she find some peace and comfort when this trial is finished.

I’m so sorry about the pain this evil monster has caused Hailey’s parents and family. I’m so glad the right verdict was reached. The evidence was overwhelming against him there was no doubt about what he had done.

10:20 Savannah Taylor take the stand. She is the mother of Hailey's best friend, whose house Hailey visited the day of the murder. She says Hailey was amazing, and was like one of their own. Hailey would come to their house every day or every other day. Taylor is in tears on the stand, talking about Hailey spending time at their house and seeing pictures from that day. Taylor says when Hailey left their house that day, she would walk down Lombard street She had a gut wrenching feeling when she heard of the Amber Alert. When she heard it was Hailey, she fell to the floor, crying.Her daughter saw the news on TV and was inconsolable. Taylor says her daughter isn't the same girl anymore, has distanced herself from friends and her mother, even moved out of mother's house, in with her father. She keeps panda bear in picture Hailey took that day as a reminder of Hailey. Taylor says her daughter sleeps with the stuffed animal every night. Taylor says she has regrets, wishes she wouldn't have sent Hailey home.
10:15 State calls witness SPD Detective Neal McAmis, who testified investigators did not speak to individuals mentioned. State calls Mark Johnson, computer forensics expert, who analyzed Craig Wood's phone. Friend of Wood text: "There is an Amber Alert in a 2008 Gold ranger. You haven't been hunting, have you?" Similar text from another friend. State mentioned in opening statements that friends jokingly texted Wood since vehicle description matched his.
10:00 Defense makes its opening statement. Defense Attorney Patrick Berrigan explains Wood, as well as his parents and brother have suffered from mental illness- depression. He explains Wood used drugs and alcohol to self medicate, says he's never achieved anywhere near his potential. Defense explains jury will hear from Wood's friends. He tells jury Craig's parents visit him weekly, and their relationship with them has never been stronger. He says their relationship can continue it he's allowed to live the remainder of his life in prison. Defense says Wood has followed the rules, behaved will in jail. Berrigan says Wood meets regularly with a priest who says he is remorseful. Defense asks that jury let Wood die in nature's time, and that will be sufficient.

9:50 Patterson asks jury to consider the torture Hailey went through. He asks them to hold Wood accountable to the highest degree the law will allow, to sentence him to death.
9:40 Jury brought in. Opening statements in penalty phase beginning. Prosecutor Dan Patterson goes first. He explains jury will hear from Hailey's family as well as Wood's friend and family. State uses the word "excuses" and defense objects. Attorneys and judge go to adjoining conference room. Judge states the jury should disregard the last statement. About a minute into resumed opening statement, defense objects again at Patterson's use of the statement, "There are no excuses." Back to conference room.
9:20 Defense objects to testimony from Hailey's friend's mother about the impact on her daughter. Judge denies motion. State has 17 witnesses on their list for the penalty phase. It's unknown if all will testify.

9:10 AM Greene County Prosecutor Dan Patterson argues, citing other cases, that sharing the effect of a murder on a community should be allowed. Defense argues victim impact shared in the trial should be limited to people close to the victim. Judge Mountjoy will allow evidence on community impact.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/LIVE-BLOG-Craig-Wood-Sentencing-Phase-454736993.html

11:15 State calls Chandra Calhoun, Haiey's aunt, Ryan Owens' sister. Hailey and her brother would spend some days and some weekends with her, says Hailey loved playing outside, shopping, getting nails and hair done. State presents family pictures including Hailey as evidence.
11:10 State calls Linda Minor, Hailey's great grandmother on her father, Ryan Owens' side. Says she would see Hailey every two or three months, Hailey would bring her flowers. She says her faith in God got her through it. A church member gave her a poem, a letter from Hailey to her, that gave her comfort.
10:35 State calls Tara Tharp, who was one of Hailey's teachers. She says Hailey was happy, giddy, everyone was encouraged by her, gave her best shot on everything. She says Hailey was a giver, and she keeps a Beanie Baby Hailey gave her, getting emotional on the stand.

1:30 Court has returned from lunch recess. Jury returns. The state rests its case in the penalty phase. Defense calls James Wood, Craig Wood's father, as its first witness.
12:00 Hailey's Pastor, Pat Findley, took the stand, talking about Hailey and her brother participating in kids' programs at Hamlin Baptist Church. He spoke about notifying family of her death, helping with Hailey's obituary, going with family to see her body, and preaching at her funeral. Findley says he has kept pretty regular contact with the family. He was questioned about forgiveness. Court recesses for lunch.
11:40 Hailey's aunt, Sara Wells, Stacy's sister, takes the stand. She saw Hailey on holidays, and her kids are around Hailey's age. She testified about hearing her mother, Hailey's grandma, scream when her phone rang, getting the awful news. She talked about the vigil in Springfield where more than 10,000 people showed up.
11:15 State calls Chandra Calhoun, Haiey's aunt, Ryan Owens' sister. Hailey and her brother would spend some days and some weekends with her, says Hailey loved playing outside, shopping, getting nails and hair done. State presents family pictures including Hailey as evidence. She says Hailey's brother, Markus is not the same boy he was, is closed off, afraid to go outside in the dark alone, and Hailey's death has been very hard on him.

3:21 Court resumes after a 20 minute recess.
Testimony continues with Jim Wood, Craig's, father, talking about his Catholic faith and how he and his wife raised their kids with religious values.
2:15 Jim Wood says he and Craig enjoyed coaching football together and it was the center of their relationship. Jim says he never knew his father, and his mother was a terrible alcoholic, as were many of his family members.
1:50 Jim Wood says his son Craig Wood worked at a youth center for Burrell Behavioral Health. Jim says he never fully understood why Craig left that job. Jim Wood says he went through some personal crises in the 80s and decided to follow a higher calling, leaving the business world to teach at Pleasant View Middle School. Craig was also hired there as an assistant football coach and a teachers aide. Defense shows pictures of Craig Wood as a young man. Jim Wood believed he and Craig could do great things coaching together.

3:52 Jury removed from the court. Jim Wood continues to testify about how devastated he was when Hailey was killed. He talks about being invited to the first birthday party for Hailey after her death. He discusses his part in Hailey's Law.

5:00 Court in recess until Saturday morning.
4:04 Wood's friend, James Dishman, takes the stand, talks about being best friends since they were kids.

I have mixed feelings about the Father's testimony. Seems to me he spent a lot of time talking about how his Son in his work at both places put himself around youth and children.

JMO

http://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...alty-outside-craig-wood-sentencing/830388001/

Donna Walmsley, one of the protesters Friday, asked: What good does it do to kill again?

“This public policy increases victimization,” she said. “It continues the cycle of violence.”

Walmsley said she and the other protesters are part of the Springfield chapter of Missourians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty.

“We believe that it’s terrible public policy,” she said.

Studies show, Walmsley said, that the death penalty is much costlier to taxpayers than sentencing someone to life in prison without parole.

Having grown up in Catholic schools, I was blessed to have had Mrs. Walmsley as a religion teacher. She always respected my opinions, even as they differed from her own. If there ever was a case that justified the death penalty, I believe it would be this one, and I really wish what Mrs. Walmsley was saying wasn't true, but unfortunately, she has done diligent research, and DP is more expensive than life in prison. I feel horrible for everyone involved having to relive this again. This sincerely did change the Ozarks forever. This man is a monster, and he deserves whatever the judicial system can throw at him, whatever that may be.

Courtroom moved to tears when hearing about the impact of Hailey Owens' murder from family and friends

GREENE COUNTY, Mo. Another emotional day in court, Friday, during what is now the penalty phase of the trial for a convicted child murderer.

Craig Wood, the former Springfield schools coach and teacher's aide, was convicted just Thursday of first degree murder for killing 10 year-old Hailey Owens in 2014.

Friday started with opening statements. There were arguments from attorneys supporting why Wood should die and why he should live.

However, it was what people who were closest to Owens said that moved everyone to tears.

http://www.kspr.com/content/news/Co...murder-from-family-and-friends-455104343.html

3:21 Court resumes after a 20 minute recess.
Testimony continues with Jim Wood, Craig's, father, talking about his Catholic faith and how he and his wife raised their kids with religious values.
2:15 Jim Wood says he and Craig enjoyed coaching football together and it was the center of their relationship. Jim says he never knew his father, and his mother was a terrible alcoholic, as were many of his family members.
1:50 Jim Wood says his son Craig Wood worked at a youth center for Burrell Behavioral Health. Jim says he never fully understood why Craig left that job. Jim Wood says he went through some personal crises in the 80s and decided to follow a higher calling, leaving the business world to teach at Pleasant View Middle School. Craig was also hired there as an assistant football coach and a teachers aide. Defense shows pictures of Craig Wood as a young man. Jim Wood believed he and Craig could do great things coaching together.

BBM

Hmmm

10:20 After a brief recess, court resumes. The defense calls Wood's mother, Genie to talk about her son.
9:38 Will Kilborn, Wood's longtime friend talks about how devastated Wood was when his longtime girlfriend broke up with him when she went away to college and that he never really dated anyone long term since. Kilborn calls Wood a functioning alcoholic.
Kilborn say he is still trying to cope with what happened. He has some anger and goes back and forth about if he will maintain his friendship with Wood.
9:22 Corp. Jeff Wright, Greene County Sheriff's deputy, correction officer in the jail, tells the jury that Wood has violated rules by 'cheeking' medication. They believe he was saving up his medication to later commit suicide. Wright confirms that Wood has been segregated from the other inmates the entire time he's been behind bars for safety reasons.
8:57 Wood's friend, Dorn Morris, tells jury that Wood was heavily using marijuana and meth about 6 to 7 months before the murder.
8:30 Court ready to resume testimony on behalf of Craig Wood.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/LIVE-BLOG-Craig-Wood-Sentencing-Phase-day-2-4551

I expect this phase to be over today and an equally quick verdict as well. I think these Jurors want to be home for Sunday prayers and supper.

Also I don't know how these Jurors and others could not be thinking that this is the first time caught but quite possibly not the first time Wood has molested others, after hearing his father's testimony.

JMO

11:18 Court in recess until 8:30 Monday morning.

10:54 Father Mike McDevitt talks to the jury on Wood's behalf. He first met Jim Wood at Springfield Catholic High School when he was on the school board and Jim Wood was a teacher. He met the rest of the family after Hailey's murder. He first met Craig Wood when he was a child at camp. He explains that Wood told him that the first few months in jail after the murder were hard for him. He started to realize what the horrible thing he had done and that he had nightmares, seeing the Hailey's autopsy photos were hard on him. Fr. McDevitt says Wood knows the ways of Christianity well.

11/03/2017
Jury Trial Conducted
State appears by PA Dan Patterson, APA Todd Myers and APA Elizabeth Kieswetter Fax. Defendant appears from GCJ and with Attorney Patrick Berrigan, Attorney Jeff Stephens IV and Attorney Thomas Jacquinot. Argument heard On Defendant¿s Motion To Prohibit Victim Impact Testimony. Court denies Motion. Defendant¿s Oral Motions in limine denied. Jury in and seated. Court reads Instruction Numbers 14, 15 and 16. State makes opening statement. Defendant makes opening statement. State presents evidence. State rests. Defendant presents evidence. Overnight recess. TEM/hr

Subpoena Served
See case file for service information. Sent to court for review 11-03-2017 at 3:21. /jrb

https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/cases/searchDockets.do

I am surprised to see that the subpoena was served from the Prosecution side at this point in the proceeding. I wonder who it might be. I believe the State has one more opportunity after the Defense rests it case. Correct me if I am wrong.

JMO
*****Filed By: JOHN DANIEL PATTERSON

A look back at the first week of Craig Wood's murder trial

Wood's friends told the jury what he was like before the murder.

"I considered him a functioning alcoholic," said Will Kilborn.

Dorn Morris said, "He would smoke marijuana and meth six or seven months before that."

Berrigan asked, "Six or seven months before what?"

"His arrest," said Morris.

A disturbing text message, asking if Wood went hunting, with a copy of the Amber Alert looking for his vehicle in connection with Owens' disappearance, sent to him by a friend, was shown in court.

"I just texted him to harass him. I really don't have an explanation for you on that. That was just to, for lack of a better word give him (expletive). He probably would have sent me the same type of text," explained Kenny Dishman.

http://www.kspr.com/content/news/Co...ced-this-week-in-Greene-County-455411573.html

Some of the statements I posted from the defense witness's literally make me sick. They sound like they are making excuses for why CW murdered Hailey. There are no excuses and that is why I don't care for defense attorneys. jmo imo moo!

The defense argued to spare Wood's life, as his family members and friends talked about his struggles with mental illness, alcohol and drugs before the murder, and a priest testified he believes Wood is remorseful. The defense had planned to call an expert witness today, but plans changed, and they rested their case this morning. The prosecution would have called an expert witness as a rebuttal. The court is now preparing jury instructions and closing arguments will come this morning.

Snipped and BBM: I guess that explains the subpoena issued on Friday. I believe the Defense was going to call the mental health expert and that would have opened the door for the States expert that Wood would not talk to, and laughed about.

8:47 Defense has officially rested. The court will work on jury instructions, then do closing arguments.

8:40AM The defense does not plan to call any additional witnesses today and will soon rest it's case in the penalty phase. They had previously planned to call expert witnesses, and in that case, the prosecution would have had an expert witness as a rebuttal. Defense renews a motion for Craig Wood to address the jury without cross examination. The judge denies that motion. The defense also renews a motion for Hailey's mother to testify on behalf of the defense. The court previously denied the motion, and maintains that decision. Defense says Wood has decided not to testify, and asks that the court instruct the jury that his decision should not affect the jury's decision. The court will bring in the jury, inform them of the new decisions, then will take time to work on jury instructions.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/LIVE-BLOG-455578473.html

12:14 Jury in deliberations.

12:07 State addresses the jury again. Dan Patterson tells them that Wood doesn't deserve mercy.
11:38 Defense begins closing arguments. Attorneys tell the jury that his parents are getting older and Wood will not be able to care for them. They say that by being alive in prison, Wood will suffer knowing this. They are asking for mercy for Wood, that his 49 years shouldn't be judge by the worst 50 minutes of his life.
11:20 Closing arguments begin. State says the aggravating circumstances far outweigh any mitigating circumstances and the jury should hold Wood accountable with the death penalty. Dan Patterson reminds jury how the murder has affected Hailey Owens' family, friends, classmates and teachers, how it changed the way people think of Springfield. Prosecution says Wood grew up in a supportive home, and says his parents have bailed Wood out of his lazy, self-centered life his whole life. Patterson plays Wood's interview with a detective, saying, "I don't have her." Defense makes objection, and judge and attorneys step out. Prosecution continues, Patterson saying he doesn't have the words to describe the terror that Hailey experienced.
11:10 Jury comes back to the courtroom to hear jury instructions and closing arguments.
10:35 Court taking another recess while making copies of jury instructions.
10:15 Court is back on the record finalizing jury instructions with attorneys.
10:00 The court goes off the record to discuss jury instructions. Closing arguments will happen once instructions are finalized.
9:50 Judge denies motions about death penalty's constitutionality.
9:20 Defense makes motion for life without parole because they claim the death penalty is cruel and unusual punishment and violates the 8th amendment. Motion denied. Defense makes motion for Instruction on Nonstatutory Mitigating Factors; defense brings up defendant's struggle with alcoholism and chronic depression. Judge denies. Defense Motion for Jury Instruction in Accordance with Section 565.032 also denied. Motion to Modify MAI-CR3d 31.444, 314.48, and 314.58 to Correctly Instruct the Jury on the Burden of Proof or, alternatively, to Impose a Sentence of Life without Parole based on the Unconstitutionality of Missouri's Death Penalty Procedures. Motion denied. Defense renews a motion claiming the death penalty violates the Constitution.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleepy2024
Back