GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You know what is sad to me? The fact that an attorney would have to file a motion requesting that hearings be transcribed.

I have found this to be the case in my area as well.

many years ago I used to assume it was like on tv shows, if there was a hearing there was a court reporter there transcribing every word. but in reality in some districts/regions that is NOT a given unless specifically requested.

So do they just videotape the proceedings now? I didn't know the court reporter was an optional thing.

This case is still in Associate Circuit Court. I think that is why there has to be a request for recording. Associate courts hear simple cases like speeding tickets too. Most likely this case will be moved up to Circuit court after the preliminary hearing. That's the way it seems to work in my county anyway. jmo

So do they just videotape the proceedings now? I didn't know the court reporter was an optional thing.

in my circuit and the surrounding ones the hearings are not recorded or transcribed and often there is no court reporter present for civil matters. I believe the same is true for some preliminary criminal hearings unless specifically requested by one of the attorneys involved.

Which can be really frustrating on the civil end of things because if you want to file an appeal, a transcript of the hearings on the motion or ruling you are appealing must be provided to the appellate court. So you have to almost anticipate that your matter may go to appeal and then think ahead and request a court reporter and transcription.

Again, this is in my area and not MO and most of my own experience comes from helping prep for civil matters and not criminal.

"03/18/2014 Motion Hearing Scheduled
/ACT
Scheduled For: 04/02/2014; 9:00 AM ; MARK A POWELL; Greene

Motion for Leave
MOTION FOR LEAVE TO WITHDRAW; NOTICE OF HEARING. /ACT
Filed By: CHRISTOPHER SHANE HATLEY
On Behalf Of: CRAIG MICHAEL WOOD
"
It appears that this public defender has officially withdrawn, as filed with the court today according to mo.casenet. It also appears that a public defense attorney from Kansas City with experience in capital defense has come of record.

I see that another attorney has come of record with Mr. Berrigan. I believe his name is Thomas Jacquinot.

http://www.publicdefender.mo.gov/about/offices_and_contacts.htm

As noted several posts upthread, Hailey's parents have sued Wood in civil action.

ETA; From another article in MO press, with BBM:
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/parents-sue-suspect-in-missouri-girl-s-kidnapping-death/article_d9d3f77c-b97a-596e-b750-3037877aefd7.html
"The family's attorney, David Ransin, says he is representing the parents at a lesser fee and donating the money to a nonprofit organization that fights child abuse."
The article linked upthread identified the charity as Bikers Against Child Abuse.

Here, link to 5 page petition:
http://www.ransin.com/hailey-owens-case/
Count 1 = Wrongful Death
Count 2 = Punitive Damages due to Aggravating Circumstances of the Death​

If that link does not work, go to atty's website: http://www.ransin.com
In banner across top of page, click on tab: Hailey Owens Media Inquiries.
You'll see button for petition and press release issued on family's behalf.
In part and BBM:
"The purpose of this letter is to inform you that I represent Mrs. Stacey Barfield and Mr. Ryan Owens, the surviving parents of Hailey Owens, regarding all matters related to and arising from the abduction and loss of their daughter, in addition to pursuing civil claims against the accused, helping them with what will likely be a long journey through the criminal justice process, and coordination of any media requests for information or interviews."

"Out of proper respect due to my clients and their daughter, and in compliance with their express wishes, you are notified to have no direct or indirect contact with them. My clients are steadfast in their interests that the truth be told, and wish to cooperate with the media, however, they need and deserve as much privacy as possible at this very difficult time, therefore, all media contact shall be arranged exclusively through me and my office."

Looks like we'll see mom & dad only at atty-sponsored pressers?

As noted several posts upthread, Hailey's parents have sued Wood in civil action.

ETA; From another article in MO press, with BBM:
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/parents-sue-suspect-in-missouri-girl-s-kidnapping-death/article_d9d3f77c-b97a-596e-b750-3037877aefd7.html
"The family's attorney, David Ransin, says he is representing the parents at a lesser fee and donating the money to a nonprofit organization that fights child abuse."
The article linked upthread identified the charity as Bikers Against Child Abuse.

Here, link to 5 page petition:
http://www.ransin.com/hailey-owens-case/
Count 1 = Wrongful Death
Count 2 = Punitive Damages due to Aggravating Circumstances of the Death​

If that link does not work, go to atty's website: http://www.ransin.com
In banner across top of page, click on tab: Hailey Owens Media Inquiries.
You'll see button for petition and press release issued on family's behalf.
In part and BBM:
"The purpose of this letter is to inform you that I represent Mrs. Stacey Barfield and Mr. Ryan Owens, the surviving parents of Hailey Owens, regarding all matters related to and arising from the abduction and loss of their daughter, in addition to pursuing civil claims against the accused, helping them with what will likely be a long journey through the criminal justice process, and coordination of any media requests for information or interviews."

"Out of proper respect due to my clients and their daughter, and in compliance with their express wishes, you are notified to have no direct or indirect contact with them. My clients are steadfast in their interests that the truth be told, and wish to cooperate with the media, however, they need and deserve as much privacy as possible at this very difficult time, therefore, all media contact shall be arranged exclusively through me and my office."

Looks like we'll see mom & dad only at atty-sponsored pressers?

Kudos to the attorney and the parents. Wise move by them, IMO. They need peace.

[B"]03/19/2014 Motion Hearing Scheduled
/KDG
Scheduled For: 03/26/2014; 10:00 AM ; MARK A POWELL; Greene

Notice of Hearing Filed
Notice of Hearing on Motion to Permit Accused to be Unshackled; Electronic Filing Certificate of Service. FILED. /KDG
Filed By: PATRICK JOSEPH BERRIGAN

Motion Hearing Scheduled
/KDG

Motion Hearing Scheduled
/KDG

Motion Hearing Scheduled
/KDG
Scheduled For: 03/26/2014; 10:00 AM ; MARK A POWELL; Greene "
[/B]

I thought I would post today's filings according to mo.casenet. I'm sure once the actual trial gets underway all these almost daily motions will calm down. But it does seem there will be courtroom activity before the preliminary hearing.

I also wanted to point out how I feel MO is transparent in regard to it's court proceedings and such. I assumed all states has a form of this. But in contrast it seems that TN does not. The Holly Bobo case as an example. A guy arrested well over 20 times and the public had no way of knowing, because the information is not publicly available. I am wondering how many other states are like that? JMO

I have a question. I am wondering why has not filed charges of child *advertiser censored* possession, use of the internet to solicit or exploitation of a child, etc. as well as these other charges. It seems that LE has had time to comb through his computer and such. I realize those charges may not be integral directly to his current charges. But still the same I feel they should be charged. JMO

Unshackled? Does this mean that he wants to be able to walk into court on his own and possible in his own civilian clothes instead of a prison uniform? I heard on other sites that when they do this it allows the jury to see them as a person instead of a criminal. Am i correct in this?

I have a question. I am wondering why has not filed charges of child *advertiser censored* possession, use of the internet to solicit or exploitation of a child, etc. as well as these other charges. It seems that LE has had time to comb through his computer and such. I realize those charges may not be integral directly to his current charges. But still the same I feel they should be charged. JMO

Computer forensics can actually take some time. Since he is arrested and in jail, it is probably not pushed to be finished right away. They are probably methodically searching. *advertiser censored* can be hidden in many ways that takes a lot of digging.

If there is *advertiser censored* on the computer, would that be a federal crime. The local police would not be in charge of filing these charges, would they? I'm not sure how that works.

I am glad the family is setting the boundaries and have counsel. They have criminal and civil proceedings running concurrently and have lost their beautiful daughter.

I have seen the circus and the backlash that comes from parents who muddle through as they are trying to grieve the unthinkable. If this family can avoid those pitfalls then I will be thrilled.

Every word and action will be public record the more they give the press statements, interviews, etc. will be used by defense attorneys in two separate concurrent court actions to try to make them unpopular with prospective jurors, to whittle away at credibility, to try to suggest some culpability on teh parents part, etc.

All while trying to grieve.

Good for them for letting someone guide them through the whole mess.

We have seen Holly Bobo's parents appearing to be associated with an attorney who is acting as their advocate and guiding them through the criminal process against their daughter's murderer.

It is a good thing IMO.

"03/20/2014 Motion Hearing Scheduled
/ACT

03/19/2014 Motion for Continuance
STATE'S MOTION FOR CONTINUANCE; MOTION TO SHORTEN TIME; NOTICE OF HEARING. /ACT
Filed By: TIMOTHY TODD MYERS

Motion Hearing Scheduled
/KDG

Notice of Hearing Filed
Notice of Hearing on Motion for Order Permitting Accused to Appear in Street Clothes at 3 26 14 Hearing; Electronic Filing Certificate of Service. FILED. /KDG

Proposed Order Filed
PROPOSED Order for Street Clothes; Electronic Filing Certificate of Service. FILED. SENT TO COURT FOR REVIEW. /KDG /KDG

Motion Filed
Motion for Order Permitting Accused to Appear in Street Clothes at 3 26 14 Hearing; Electronic Filing Certificate of Service. FILED. /KDG

Motion Hearing Scheduled
/KDG
Scheduled For: 03/26/2014; 10:00 AM ; MARK A POWELL; Greene"

These are additional motions filed with the Court, seemingly all set for 3/26/2014 according to mo.casenet. I could be wrong but it appears that the prosecutor is asking for a continuance.

I am wondering if CMW might not be trying to plea the DP off the table.

Also, I have a question. With a civil case already being filed, can they or will they proceed with that trial prior to his criminal trial? Since the civil attorney has ordered "discovery" in that trial, with that being disclosed before the criminal trial could that be used as an "appeal" issue if convicted?

"03/20/2014 Motion Hearing Scheduled
/ACT

03/19/2014 Motion for Continuance
STATE'S MOTION FOR CONTINUANCE; MOTION TO SHORTEN TIME; NOTICE OF HEARING. /ACT
Filed By: TIMOTHY TODD MYERS

Motion Hearing Scheduled
/KDG

Notice of Hearing Filed
Notice of Hearing on Motion for Order Permitting Accused to Appear in Street Clothes at 3 26 14 Hearing; Electronic Filing Certificate of Service. FILED. /KDG

Proposed Order Filed
PROPOSED Order for Street Clothes; Electronic Filing Certificate of Service. FILED. SENT TO COURT FOR REVIEW. /KDG /KDG

Motion Filed
Motion for Order Permitting Accused to Appear in Street Clothes at 3 26 14 Hearing; Electronic Filing Certificate of Service. FILED. /KDG

Motion Hearing Scheduled
/KDG
Scheduled For: 03/26/2014; 10:00 AM ; MARK A POWELL; Greene"

These are additional motions filed with the Court, seemingly all set for 3/26/2014 according to mo.casenet. I could be wrong but it appears that the prosecutor is asking for a continuance.

I am wondering if CMW might not be trying to plea the DP off the table.

Also, I have a question. With a civil case already being filed, can they or will they proceed with that trial prior to his criminal trial? Since the civil attorney has ordered "discovery" in that trial, with that being disclosed before the criminal trial could that be used as an "appeal" issue if convicted?

I've heard it's quite common for DP cases to 'use up' all their continuances (for many reasons, not the least of which is buying time for the accused).

Don't know the answer to the question in your last paragraph--good question.

what do the parents gain by suing him? how does that help them find peace?

I do not believe suing CMW will help the family find peace, but I applaud them in filing the motion to "freeze" any assets he may have at his disposal. If I were the family I may want to move away from that neighborhood as an example just for one. Being possibly overwhelmed and not being able to go to work to support themselves for who knows what period of time and so on.

I did have mixed feelings in regard to how the civil attorney has handled the "press release"(s). By doing so on his firm's website seems to me to be very self involved. Basically if you want to talk to my clients while they grieve, click on this tab and fill out the form to do so. And while you're at it, you can click on this other tab and see how much money I have won for other clients. It comes off more as a marketing opportunity for his firm than a heartfelt desire to help Hailey's family in a genuine way. I would have been more impressed if he had taken the case "pro bono" which I'm sure some other attorney may have done. JMO's

If child *advertiser censored* was transmitted via the internet (incoming or outgoing) it would be federal. [QUOTE=blue22;10355493]Computer forensics can actually take some time. Since he is arrested and in jail, it is probably not pushed to be finished right away. They are probably methodically searching. *advertiser censored* can be hidden in many ways that takes a lot of digging.

If there is *advertiser censored* on the computer, would that be a federal crime. The local police would not be in charge of filing these charges, would they? I'm not sure how that works.[/QUOTE]

what do the parents gain by suing him? how does that help them find peace?
One stage in the grieving process is anger. Understandably, Hailey's parents feel a great deal of anger toward CMW. Next to harming the object of one's anger physically or emotionally, hurting the person(s) financially does the most damage. That is why lawsuits are so popular today... It's a legal way of seeking vengeance.

Also, assuming that CMW will never in his lifetime be released from prison with consideration to the severity of charges and abundance of evidence, he will not have access to his money, anyway. Instead, Hailey's parents have the opportunity to use proceeds gained from a lawsuit to do good. I applaud their attorney for donating money to a non-profit organization that fights child abuse. Perhaps this is what the family has in mind to do with any money they might win from a suit against CMW. It would have a two-fold purpose by giving them opportunity to use CMW's assets toward a good cause while being emotionally cathartic for them.

Do we know if any of this trial will be televised? I haven't understood based on the posts about court dates here....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy
Back