MO MO - Jessica Runions, 21, Kansas City, 8 Sept 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe I accidentally unsubscribe to this thread and was thinking about Jessica last night - I'm all caught up now.

What are the chances he will be released on 10/31? Please say very very low!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't believe I accidentally unsubscribe to this thread and was thinking about Jessica last night - I'm all caught up now. What are the chances he will be released on 10/31? Please say very very low! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd say very low. IF what I've researched is correct...He was in court on Sept.15th for an arraignment, to have his charges read before the court and to plead guilty or not guilty. Then on the 29th I believe would have been a preliminary hearing for the prosecution to present some evidence and the judge to determine whether it was enough to go to trial. Kylr was offered a public defender, and the next date set for the 31st. IF they were going to drop charges, I believe that it would have been at that prelim hearing on the 29th. The court date on the 31st should be a pretrial hearing to resolve any issues ahead of a trial and to allow his attorney or the prosecutor to make any motions or do whatever it is that needs to be done. It would probably be the last time KY would see the judge before a trial. My best guess is that the prosecution is going to take this to a jury trial in an attempt to get a guilty conviction for burning the car. Then, he'll go to prison for about five years which will give LE time to try to find JR and collect more evidence. They can also use that guilty conviction to prove to another jury that he was directly involved in the disappearance of JR. I'd suspect if they don't find JR in the next month or so, that may be their plan...I think they could try at the very least for manslaughter, or maybe murder 2 (without finding JR that is) if they can use trace and physical evidence to place him at the scene of the car, as well as witness testimony from the night of the party or anyone who may have helped him flee the scene of the car. This is also why I also think it's important for LE to build a good, concrete psychological profile for this guy so that they can show a jury that this isn't just someone who had a tough go of it as a little kid...He's someone with some very dangerous personality traits that when combined are apparently lethal to those who get in his way, whatever that means for him. I still think it's very risky to even try for manslaughter without hard evidence of a murder, just because if they don't get a guilty conviction for that, he can never be tried again even if they find a body and convincing evidence. He'd be out in five years (or less) on parole and on his way to doing this very same thing to someone else's daughter and the whole process starts all over again.

I'd say very low. IF what I've researched is correct...He was in court on Sept.15th for an arraignment, to have his charges read before the court and to plead guilty or not guilty. Then on the 29th I believe would have been a preliminary hearing for the prosecution to present some evidence and the judge to determine whether it was enough to go to trial. Kylr was offered a public defender, and the next date set for the 31st. IF they were going to drop charges, I believe that it would have been at that prelim hearing on the 29th. The court date on the 31st should be a pretrial hearing to resolve any issues ahead of a trial and to allow his attorney or the prosecutor to make any motions or do whatever it is that needs to be done. It would probably be the last time KY would see the judge before a trial. My best guess is that the prosecution is going to take this to a jury trial in an attempt to get a guilty conviction for burning the car. Then, he'll go to prison for about five years which will give LE time to try to find JR and collect more evidence. They can also use that guilty conviction to prove to another jury that he was directly involved in the disappearance of JR. I'd suspect if they don't find JR in the next month or so, that may be their plan...I think they could try at the very least for manslaughter, or maybe murder 2 (without finding JR that is) if they can use trace and physical evidence to place him at the scene of the car, as well as witness testimony from the night of the party or anyone who may have helped him flee the scene of the car. This is also why I also think it's important for LE to build a good, concrete psychological profile for this guy so that they can show a jury that this isn't just someone who had a tough go of it as a little kid...He's someone with some very dangerous personality traits that when combined are apparently lethal to those who get in his way, whatever that means for him. I still think it's very risky to even try for manslaughter without hard evidence of a murder, just because if they don't get a guilty conviction for that, he can never be tried again even if they find a body and convincing evidence. He'd be out in five years (or less) on parole and on his way to doing this very same thing to someone else's daughter and the whole process starts all over again.

Thank you for the great explanation. It answered another question as to how burning of the car could be used for charges for Jessica's disappearance.

(Can't edit my original question due to time elapsing - meant to type *unsubscribed*.)

Thank you for the great explanation. It answered another question as to how burning of the car could be used for charges for Jessica's disappearance.(Can't edit my original question due to time elapsing - meant to type *unsubscribed*.)Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm totally speculating here, but if you consider Christina Morris, they got Enrique Arochi for life in prison based on circumstantial evidence placing her in his trunk. I think they have substantial proof that Ky burned Jessica's car, and it is possible they have Jessica's shirt and some dna evidence to at least prove they were together when she disappeared. She is still missing, so they could build a similar case against Kyif they don't recover a body before then I would think..

I'm totally speculating here, but if you consider Christina Morris, they got Enrique Arochi for life in prison based on circumstantial evidence placing her in his trunk. I think they have substantial proof that Ky burned Jessica's car, and it is possible they have Jessica's shirt and some dna evidence to at least prove they were together when she disappeared. She is still missing, so they could build a similar case against Kyif they don't recover a body before then I would think..
I knew I had read about a circumstantial evidence case very recently but I couldn't remember the guy's name. That was in Texas right? The one in Kansas I can think of off the top of my head is Richard Grissom, convicted of murdering three women who have never been found in Overland Park. I think that was maybe twenty years ago and he still won't tell their poor families where those women are. Then John Robinson was convicted of several in Kansas in 2003 as well and then was also tried in Missouri for the deaths of three women who have never been found, and he still refuses to tell. I think he is on death row in Kansas. And I know that there's at least a couple more cases in Missouri where no body was ever found but there was enough evidence to convince a jury to convict. I think that Kylr has several things going against him already with this case, plus his name precedes him with Kara's case. The burning the car, where he burned it, I just don't understand. It just seems so stupid. Maybe he just heard that JR had been reported missing, panicked and figured he had to ditch it and the only way to get rid of all the evidence fast was to set it ablaze. How could he be so dumb yet there's still no major leads on where JR is? I don't get it. I have a feeling that if the prosecutor were to attempt a murder trial (with or without finding JR) they may have to move this case to another venue due to the media and speculation surrounding it. Not a lot of media with this case, but like I said, Kylr's name precedes him and I would think it'd be difficult at this point to find an impartial jury. Plus it has the potential to be a media circus if a murder charge is made, sealed case or not. I still think it's very risky to attempt a murder trial without a body, but it's been successful before. I just don't want him to have the potential to get out and do this again to someone else.

I'm all but hanging my hat on this being the case.

I knew I had read about a circumstantial evidence case very recently but I couldn't remember the guy's name. That was in Texas right? The one in Kansas I can think of off the top of my head is Richard Grissom, convicted of murdering three women who have never been found in Overland Park. I think that was maybe twenty years ago and he still won't tell their poor families where those women are. Then John Robinson was convicted of several in Kansas in 2003 as well and then was also tried in Missouri for the deaths of three women who have never been found, and he still refuses to tell. I think he is on death row in Kansas. And I know that there's at least a couple more cases in Missouri where no body was ever found but there was enough evidence to convince a jury to convict. I think that Kylr has several things going against him already with this case, plus his name precedes him with Kara's case. The burning the car, where he burned it, I just don't understand. It just seems so stupid. Maybe he just heard that JR had been reported missing, panicked and figured he had to ditch it and the only way to get rid of all the evidence fast was to set it ablaze. How could he be so dumb yet there's still no major leads on where JR is? I don't get it. I have a feeling that if the prosecutor were to attempt a murder trial (with or without finding JR) they may have to move this case to another venue due to the media and speculation surrounding it. Not a lot of media with this case, but like I said, Kylr's name precedes him and I would think it'd be difficult at this point to find an impartial jury. Plus it has the potential to be a media circus if a murder charge is made, sealed case or not. I still think it's very risky to attempt a murder trial without a body, but it's been successful before. I just don't want him to have the potential to get out and do this again to someone else.
Whenever I get to thinking about the car burning, I can't help but feel a little queasy that he also burned her body. That is the solution he came up with at that time after all. There would still be a detectable site and remains, but I hope the searchers understand they need to be looking for that as well, including barrels etc. I agree it was stupid and rash. I believe he felt he was in the clear though - he picked a secluded spot (he thought.) I still wonder if they got any CCTV from a gas station of him filling a gas can, and that is their direct proof.I don't think they will charge him with murder until they have solid evidence. But a 1st degree arson charge is already a felony http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/stathtml/56900000401.HTML and he could get 15-30 years depending on how they run it. This would not be enough for Kara and Jessica's families, IMO but it is a start. I think this time around he won't be getting any gifts from the justice system.

Whenever I get to thinking about the car burning, I can't help but feel a little queasy that he also burned her body. That is the solution he came up with at that time after all. There would still be a detectable site and remains, but I hope the searchers understand they need to be looking for that as well, including barrels etc. I agree it was stupid and rash. I believe he felt he was in the clear though - he picked a secluded spot (he thought.) I still wonder if they got any CCTV from a gas station of him filling a gas can, and that is their direct proof.I don't think they will charge him with murder until they have solid evidence. But a 1st degree arson charge is already a felony http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/stathtml/56900000401.HTML and he could get 15-30 years depending on how they run it. This would not be enough for Kara and Jessica's families, IMO but it is a start. I think this time around he won't be getting any gifts from the justice system.
I get that queasy feeling too. I don't think she was in the car when it was burned, but there is still so much unknown. I think if she was burned in that car, it means that she was most likely in the back of it the whole time that it sat in the grandfather's driveway, which just gives me chills. For KY to be charged with first degree arson, they will have to prove that either JR was in the car at the time it was set on fire or that someone else was in KY's presence and had the potential to be harmed, or they have to prove that he was trying to make meth. I think they have only charged him with a class D felony, punishable with up to 5 years in prison, then parole after, unless they have found new evidence and have changed the charges. He was dumb enough to get caught less than three full days after JR went missing, maybe five years is long enough for LE to put the rest of the puzzle together and convict him of murder as well. Either way, he's not going to be able to explain his way out of this one with excuses of a bad childhood. I think he's gonna have to own his choices and serve his time, however long that might be.

Does anyone think that with this Kylr's track record that they want to hit him with the book? Max penalties for everything because he's obviously just rotating in and out of the system. Maybe it's quiet because they figure if they can't find JR, then they can at least put him away as long as possible. Since he seems to constantly be in trouble, it would be easy for a judge to nail him.

Does anyone think that with this Kylr's track record that they want to hit him with the book? Max penalties for everything because he's obviously just rotating in and out of the system. Maybe it's quiet because they figure if they can't find JR, then they can at least put him away as long as possible. Since he seems to constantly be in trouble, it would be easy for a judge to nail him.
Yes, I think that's possible. It’s kind of sad in a way, they see this guy in and out of the system causing all sorts of problems but nothing has really been done until now. He may have had a chance when he was younger to get real help, but I think it’s gone too far now. I think that he has been allowed to believe from a very young age that he is above the law and that he can do whatever, whenever, to whoever and as long as he bellyaches about his childhood they’ll just slap him with some probation and he’s good to go. The worst punishment he got was for trafficking drugs, and that quite honestly seems to be one of the nicer things that he’s done. Sometimes a judge can choose to preclude a defendant’s criminal history but I don’t think that will be the case here. I think that a jury will convict even with only a slight amount of trace evidence from the car. The circumstantial evidence alone speaks volumes. LE was lucky to get KY when they did and I think that they also got several people to talk. That may be at least part of why the case is sealed, for the protection of those who have chosen to come forward. Some witnesses will only talk if their testimony is sealed, and being as we know what KY is capable of, I can’t blame anyone who knew him for taking that precaution given the possibility that he may still walk. You never can tell what a jury will do.

It's exhausting trying to make sense of all this. With huge timeline gaps and little info being released, it's easy to come up with dozens or hundreds of scenarios. I'm still struggling with what makes the most sense, not when she was (likely) murdered, but when the body was disposed of. Deciding that, in my mind, makes a world of difference as to where you would search for a body. So, here is my question. The grandfather made the search warrant public when he let the reporters view it. Without digging up the link, I recall there were items listed that were to be searched for in the house. Now, what I'm wondering is with a search warrant like that, would it allow L.E. to search for trace evidence of blood, urine etc. with chemicals. What I'm getting at is that some have speculated that whatever happened might have taken place in the house. If she was killed, let's say by strangulation in the house, and the human body being what it is, would it be likely that bowels or bladder would let loose? If so, would L.E. have had the authority or right to search for that evidence (assuming it would have been cleaned and would be trace evidence). If they did, then I would assume that evidence would have been found, and I assume it was not or wouldn't there already be a murder charge? I know that's a lot of what if's, but to me, assuming what I just said is somewhat coherent, then she had already been disposed of sometime Thursday night and is most likely no where near where the car was found. The other possibility is she was still in the car, deceased, and therefore likely in the general area the car was found. Of course, none of that even addresses all the time gaps. Did he drive around from sometime Friday afternoon until Saturday morning? I don't think so. He was either parked in the woods somewhere or maybe in somebody's garage. More and more I am starting to believe, as some have speculated, that whatever happened with Kara will be exactly what happened to Jessica. Maybe not the same place but the same manner. It just can't be (I hope) that easy to disappear a body and leave no evidence. Thoughts?

The circumstantial evidence in this case is strong. Means, motive (?), and opportunity. I put a question mark after motive because, despite the witnesses at the get-together the night before she disappeared (reporting to the media he confessed his feelings for her to others, even though she had a boyfriend) there very well could be another motive not yet considered. Nevertheless, he did have means and opportunity, and no alibi I have heard about, like he presented in Kara's case. Hard to understand how no evidence of Jessica alive has been cleared publically, but her car was found burning and KY was charged with burning it. Why would he do that if he wasn't trying to hide evidence? I know, some duh questions, but this should not be going on this long. Is it time for a plea deal?

Do you feel like expanding on this at all? Is it that you feel he is very aware of the wrongness of it and is more concerned about not getting caught vs being a sentimental weirdo that returns to a single place? I am genuinely curious - you're ideas are always well-grounded.

I don't really think he is sentimental, or that he is beyond stuffing a body into a barrel. Just exploring all possibilities.

Moving on to brainstorming some more...I mean I would hope KC PD has covered this, but can someone pinpoint where this is? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...830.1073741827.100011405886446&type=3&theater

Keep in mind, wherever he put her, unless it was grandpa's back yard, had to be somewhere he could drive to, and then she can only be as far as he could carry her. While he was fit, he may not have been sober, and I don't know how far a guy his size could carry her - my DH thinks he could only carry my dead weight about half a mile before it became a problem, maybe less if it is dense undergrowth, and he would have to be certain he wasn't going to be seen to keep paranoia from making it worse.

Scout - you mentioned his network of support and honestly I am not surprised. I think Kylr is probably a very cool guy when he isn't having an episode or intoxicated. In my experience, guys with his type of personality and history have a way of eliciting care and attract the kind of people that enable, caretake and are a little more forgiving of weird traits. I don't know if these people know about his background, or if they choose to ignore it. Perhaps he spins a story about Kara or why he's been in and out of court or jail, and because they've never seen him be a real a-hole they believe his side. Maybe they feel sorry for him, or somehow find his bad-boy rep alluring, but whatever the case, I hope they start thinking about Jessica and asking themselves why he burned her car and then fled. Whatever happened to her could have happened to them. This is a guy that slammed a kitten repeatedly into the floor.

I like that you and your husband have discussed how far he could carry your dead body. :loveyou:

It's exhausting trying to make sense of all this. With huge timeline gaps and little info being released, it's easy to come up with dozens or hundreds of scenarios. I'm still struggling with what makes the most sense, not when she was (likely) murdered, but when the body was disposed of. Deciding that, in my mind, makes a world of difference as to where you would search for a body. So, here is my question. The grandfather made the search warrant public when he let the reporters view it. Without digging up the link, I recall there were items listed that were to be searched for in the house. Now, what I'm wondering is with a search warrant like that, would it allow L.E. to search for trace evidence of blood, urine etc. with chemicals. What I'm getting at is that some have speculated that whatever happened might have taken place in the house. If she was killed, let's say by strangulation in the house, and the human body being what it is, would it be likely that bowels or bladder would let loose? If so, would L.E. have had the authority or right to search for that evidence (assuming it would have been cleaned and would be trace evidence). If they did, then I would assume that evidence would have been found, and I assume it was not or wouldn't there already be a murder charge? I know that's a lot of what if's, but to me, assuming what I just said is somewhat coherent, then she had already been disposed of sometime Thursday night and is most likely no where near where the car was found. The other possibility is she was still in the car, deceased, and therefore likely in the general area the car was found. Of course, none of that even addresses all the time gaps. Did he drive around from sometime Friday afternoon until Saturday morning? I don't think so. He was either parked in the woods somewhere or maybe in somebody's garage. More and more I am starting to believe, as some have speculated, that whatever happened with Kara will be exactly what happened to Jessica. Maybe not the same place but the same manner. It just can't be (I hope) that easy to disappear a body and leave no evidence. Thoughts?
It is indeed very frustrating and exhausting. I tend to go back and forth between the two theories you mentioned -- that KY either disposed of JR sometime early Friday morning after the party, or that she was in the back of that car until he left his grandfather's on Friday afternoon. That's very risky though. Either way, he had a ton of time to do whatever he did. He also started texting someone else around 2am on Friday morning which makes me lean more to the first option of the murder/body hiding right after the party. He may have already done whatever he did to JR, maybe hid her somewhere,and by 2am he was looking to find someone to use as an alibi in case police started coming around and asking questions. As for the search warrants...The warrant served at the trailer in Edwards at the time of the arrest stated that LE took bullets, clothing, hair and fingernail scrapings, and body swabs from KY. http://bigstory.ap.org/article/df1e...ullets-other-items-seized-missing-women-probe The warrant served at the grandfather's was looking for several things: firearms, burned/partially burned clothing, blue plaid shirt, black yoga pants, Chevy car keys, red men's shoes, blue jeans, and trace evidence. http://fox4kc.com/2016/09/14/police...-for-possible-clues-on-missing-raymore-woman/ As far as what I've researched, LE can search for anything on their list and also obtain anything else they feel warrants investigation. http://criminal.lawyers.com/criminal-law-basics/what-is-a-search-warrant-and-when-is-one-needed.html So if they aren't looking for a bloody footprint but they find one they don't need to obtain a new warrant. I think only if they return at a separate date do they need a new one. If LE had obtained evidence of a dead body, I assume it would have been listed in the description on the second part of the warrant. I don't think she died in that house, there would have been more evidence. It just baffles me how he was so foolish with the car yet we're all still so confused about just about everything else with this case.

I am 95% sure her body was in the car and that is why he burned it. I don't think he is totally aware of trace evidence, so I feel like there was probably enough of something there for him to feel he couldn't clean it up or cover it up any other way.

I thought you couldn't burn bones or am I wrong??

To SCOUT87. Thanks for the reply. You got what I was saying, but as to the search, would they have used luminal or whatever no matter what, to look for trace fluids, or would that have to be deemed a crime scene or something similar before they could start dousing the house? Thanks. Haven't figured out the quote box thing yet.

To SCOUT87. Thanks for the reply. You got what I was saying, but as to the search, would they have used luminal or whatever no matter what, to look for trace fluids, or would that have to be deemed a crime scene or something similar before they could start dousing the house? Thanks. Haven't figured out the quote box thing yet.
No problem! It took me a couple times to figure out the quote box as well. If you're just trying to reply so that the text of the message you're replying to appears with your own when posted, you can just click on 'Reply With Quote' in the lower right corner of the message box. Otherwise, the way you did it works fine too. I'm very interested as well in the luminol and I've been digging around trying to find an answer. There's plenty of scientific info to be found, but I can't seem to find a definitive yes or no answer as to how/when it is used in an investigation. Based on what I've read, I would say that yes, they could have used the luminol when executing the search warrant. The warrant for the grandfather's house specifically states among everything else that they were looking for trace evidence. The luminol can be used to help crime scene investigators to more easily find trace evidence like fibers, blood splatter evidence, body fluids, bleach residue, etc. As far as I understand, they have a kit available to them that has various tools they can use as they need in a search. The warrant form also states that it was issued because the home may have contained evidence related to knowingly burning as well as a missing persons case, which I would guess means that crime scene investigators were prepared to search for blood splatter evidence, latent fingerprints, and whatever else might link KY to a homicide. All the articles I've seen on the search show the grandfather's home clearly blocked off with crime scene tape and all say that the search took several hours to complete, so they weren't just going in for a quick perusal of KY's bedroom. They wanted hard evidence. Sorry I'm not able to get a more certain answer.

I thought you couldn't burn bones or am I wrong?? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So this is going to be really morbid but I'm naturally curious so I looked this up. Cremation is carried out at temps between 1400 and 1800 Fahrenheit, leaving bone fragments and skeletal remains. http://www.cremationresource.org/cremation/how-is-a-body-cremated.html The ignition temperature of gasoline (assuming that's what KY used to burn the car) is between 475 and 536 degrees Fahrenheit. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/fuels-ignition-temperatures-d_171.html So, based on that if a body was in that car when it was set on fire {shudder}, it's very likely that bone fragments would have been found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3