Found Deceased MO - John Forsyth, 49, doctor, Mercy ER Clinic, Cassville, 21 May 2023 *car found*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurora and Marionville Police Department

The AMPD expresses our sincere condolences to the families impacted by the disappearance and tragic death of Dr. John Forsyth. We particularly want to express our heartfelt sympathy to his colleagues with Mercy in Aurora and Cassville.

Since his disappearance, we have heard countless stories of the exceptional care he provided and the kindness in how he delivered it. The staff in the respective emergency rooms spoke of his willingness to explain things clearly, and his patience when providing care in a high stress environment. In our line of work, we also had occasions to work with Dr. Forsyth. He was nothing but professional and knowledgeable. We often worry about having to become a patient, but we know people like him would stop at nothing to save our lives.

Regardless of what happened, this is nothing short of tragic. The loss of a life-saver is palpable in communities our size. We join our communities in prayer for Dr. Forsyth, his family, and the many people he impacted as a respected emergency physician.

BBM Well, what happened?

It is being reported he had purchased plane tickets to visit his children, of which he has 8, in the Utah and Idaho area. He was set to leave I believe the following day, per a CNN report.

That would make sense on why he had those possessions with him, in case he had to leave quickly for the airport while at work and why it may have been prepped in his car in advance.

I also think this further reduces the odds of a potential suicide - already purchased airfare to visit his kids, recent engagement, etc.

it's common for people to do everything normal like laundry, groceries, buy tickets, pack for a trip before suicide

My thoughts...
1. I don't see any motive for the ex-wife. Child support and/or alimony would stop, wouldn't it? If it's money related, I would guess it's to do with the crypto. (Side note... everyone I know that is into crypto also seems to brag or talk about crypto A LOT and also seem to be into conspiracy theorists, government is out to get you, etc. Maybe it's just the people I know.).
2. If this was self inflicted, it doesn't mean the gun would be right on the bank. I'm sure it's very possible to walk out into the water, thus making sure the weapon is not laying around.
3. I think finding out who he met up with and why will be key to solving this! One way or the other.
4. Agree with other posters that there have been many cases we've seen where everything seems all sunshine and rainbows, they go about planning for upcoming events, seem to have everything going for them, and they can still be battling demons (depression, imposter syndrome, addiction, regret, etc.).
5. As much as I hope this is not suicide, at least it would mean he went out on his own terms. The thought of some selfish killer roaming the streets is almost more unsettling. All MOO.

BrownBear I am so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and your family and hoping you get answers soon. We are here to help in any way we can!

I do think things went south there at the aquatic park. I think he got into the white tahoe for a chat - the temperature on Saturday has a high of 56 and Sunday (the early morning) it would still have been cool. So maybe he went to sit in the car to not be in the chilly weather.

IF it was, in fact, him getting into the car. It's said the video was crap quality, so it's possible it was just someone who looked like Johnny. Who knows, though.

We also don't know that Johnny was the person who left the RV unlocked. All we know is that it was unlocked --- maybe he didn't lock his trailer when he thought he would be right back? Maybe someone was in the trailer after the aquatic park? Heck, it's possible someone else was in the trailer the night before and left it unlocked when they left.

If he was planning on leaving and chose to leave the RV unlocked, why would he also leave his keys in his unlocked car? he could have just left the keys and then when they were found, his RV could have been unlocked. It's redundant to leave it unlocked and also leave keys to it.

In my mind, there is too many unknowns from LE and about Johnny's habits to make a clear call on why he would do that.

did you know him? just curious because you refer to him as Johnny ...

Aurora and Marionville Police Department

The AMPD expresses our sincere condolences to the families impacted by the disappearance and tragic death of Dr. John Forsyth. We particularly want to express our heartfelt sympathy to his colleagues with Mercy in Aurora and Cassville.

Since his disappearance, we have heard countless stories of the exceptional care he provided and the kindness in how he delivered it. The staff in the respective emergency rooms spoke of his willingness to explain things clearly, and his patience when providing care in a high stress environment. In our line of work, we also had occasions to work with Dr. Forsyth. He was nothing but professional and knowledgeable. We often worry about having to become a patient, but we know people like him would stop at nothing to save our lives.

Regardless of what happened, this is nothing short of tragic. The loss of a life-saver is palpable in communities our size. We join our communities in prayer for Dr. Forsyth, his family, and the many people he impacted as a respected emergency physician.

BBM Well, what happened?
That’s a very sincere press release. He really was well-liked and respected.

I do think things went south there at the aquatic park. I think he got into the white tahoe for a chat - the temperature on Saturday has a high of 56 and Sunday (the early morning) it would still have been cool. So maybe he went to sit in the car to not be in the chilly weather.

IF it was, in fact, him getting into the car. It's said the video was crap quality, so it's possible it was just someone who looked like Johnny. Who knows, though.

We also don't know that Johnny was the person who left the RV unlocked. All we know is that it was unlocked --- maybe he didn't lock his trailer when he thought he would be right back? Maybe someone was in the trailer after the aquatic park? Heck, it's possible someone else was in the trailer the night before and left it unlocked when they left.

If he was planning on leaving and chose to leave the RV unlocked, why would he also leave his keys in his unlocked car? he could have just left the keys and then when they were found, his RV could have been unlocked. It's redundant to leave it unlocked and also leave keys to it.

In my mind, there is too many unknowns from LE and about Johnny's habits to make a clear call on why he would do that.
Was it reported somewhere that it was a Tahoe? I've only seen mention of a 'white SUV'.

The CNN article mentions a white SUV pulling up behind him shortly after he arrived - what it doesn't mention is, was anyone else in the car with him?

I think it is plausible this was a robbery, hence why everything was left unlocked. Late at night - could have been taken to an ATM, obviously interesting to see what his phone and bank records state. Was he a victim of his routine/pattern, did he recognize someone involved, etc.? If he was being robbed though, and no one else was in his vehicle...I can't imagine why he wouldn't try to use his cell phone to call or text for help.

The robbers wouldn't want to take his cell phone or any of his identifying documents - it mentions his wallet was left behind, but not if any cash was left in it, etc. The way his personal possessions were left behind, RV unlocked, and a vehicle pulling up behind him shortly after him, etc. leads me in that direction.

I had noodled around robbery as well. But still felt he was so smart, that he would have done something about it-----but we have no evidence of any cell phone communication, but hopefully LE does. However, I keep thinking if it was simple robbery LE would have been much more open initially if there were any clues at all.

But something bothers me about a "hit" of some bigger magnitude, like the crypto business. I would think, if someone was clearly following him, his schedule, and his plans a "hit" would have conducted elsewhere--- not little sleepy Cassville, where everyone knows everyone. Especially given his plans to be out of state for a while.

So, I have also noodled around "local patient disgruntlement". The meetup was local, the body was found local. I could see John, making no attempts to be noticed or raise an alarm, in a scenario with a disgruntled patient.

As of this morning, I am veering away from suicide. ha! The winds of change.

If he was going to commit suicide, why wouldn’t he just drive his own car to the lake (or some remote area) and possibly pull the trigger on himself?
That is the part that has me thinking that his life was taken by one or more bad people. Maybe by someone hired to do a hit.
All of this is speculation and moo.

LE knows the location of the gunshot wound ( torso, back of the head, side of the head) and that goes a long way in directing their line of investigation. ie. back of the head is not likely to be suicide.

If he was going to commit suicide, why wouldn’t he just drive his own car to the lake (or some remote area) and possibly pull the trigger on himself?
That is the part that has me thinking that his life was taken by one or more bad people. Maybe by someone hired to do a hit.

Richard had said that their one known threat "was overseas" -- the crypto thing was largely overseas (see Comments of several posts at link). The precision and neatness (AFAIK no blood or prints found, no shots heard) of the hit smacks of pros <modsnip: Let's not speculate on specific groups>.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agree. JMO, it's a key detail that his own car was left (hidden) in Cassville, but he ended up 20+ miles away, deceased, at Beaver Lake.

It's difficult to explain how he got from Cassville to the location where his body was found without the involvement of a third party.

OTOH, why would a killer leave behind the victim's laptop and 2 cell phones? Those possibly contain evidence. Botched staging? If a suicide, why do any of this?

It's possible this was a murder, but one that was staged to look as though it was some elaborate kidnapping/murder scheme.

JMO, the local LE is as puzzled as the rest of us, but they'll find the answers eventually. Perhaps they can get assistance on the lab work from the FBI. It seems unacceptable that routine lab work to investigate a murder takes 90 days to process.

JMO, MOO

Richard had said that their one known threat "was overseas" -- the crypto thing was largely overseas (see Comments of several posts at link). The precision and neatness (AFAIK no blood or prints found, no shots heard) of the hit smacks of pros <modsnip: Let's not speculate on specific groups>.

If so, LE really needs to look at the laptop and cell phones. <modsnip> hit men wouldn't leave those things behind if they contained evidence. If they were professionals, why would they hide his car?

ETA: I hope local LE has experts who can do that kind of search. Seems I read recently on another case (Murdaugh murders?) that US Marshals have advanced ability to do sophisticated data tracking.

I'm trying to keep up with Richard's statements.

Missouri doctor John Forsyth last seen getting into mystery car before being found dead in lake: brother

Security cameras show Dr. John Forsyth entering the car in the parking lot of a public pool in Cassville, Missouri on May 21, his brother, Richard Forsyth, told The Associated Press.

After entering the unknown car, Forsyth apparently got out before the driver left the parking lot.

His brother had previously told the Daily Beast, citing police, the surveillance video showed Forsyth walking around in the parking lot about “10 to 15 minutes” after the car left.

View attachment 426249
Yes lots of conflicting info in the media as the case unfolds. I guess not unusual in a case in the early stages. Lots of confusion. We are missing a lot of detail and any factual info from LE. The brother seems to be the only one sharing his viewpoints. Imo

If so, LE really needs to look at the laptop and cell phones. <modsnip> hit men wouldn't leave those things behind if they contained evidence. If they were professionals, why would they hide his car?

ETA: I hope local LE has experts who can do that kind of search. Seems I read recently on another case (Murdaugh murders?) that US Marshals have advanced ability to do sophisticated data tracking.

To clarify, I assume his car, phones, laptop, etc. were left behind so his movements after that couldn't be traced. If it were a "professional" hit or even just murder, why would someone go to the trouble of staging all that, then take him across the state line to be killed or dumped in Beaver Lake?

If he just got done working a 12 hour overnight shift and had to do it again at 7pm, he’d have been in need of sleep/exhausted. I wouldn’t have thought a 30+mile walk would be feasible.
I doubt he walked to the Arkansas Lake. If homicide, I think it could have occurred in area his vehicle was discovered, then body driven to lake for disposal. Just my speculation...MOO.

Did he have a lot of money or was the wrongful death judgement and the new alimony/child support payments going to really take a financial toll on him? If so, I put that in a potential suicide category though I have no explanation for how he got out to the lake. That's a LONG walk and a lot of time to have second thoughts about actually going through with taking one's life. JMO

I doubt he walked to the Arkansas Lake. If homicide, I think it could have occurred in area his vehicle was discovered, then body driven to lake for disposal. Just my speculation...MOO.
I agree 100%. I worry that w/o some concrete evidence of a third party involvement the official narrative would have him walking on foot. Strictly because it’s an easy solution to close the case…not bc the facts lead that way. MOO.

I agree 100%. I worry that w/o some concrete evidence of a third party involvement the official narrative would have him walking on foot. Strictly because it’s an easy solution to close the case…not bc the facts lead that way. MOO.
Walking makes no sense, JMO, if he wanted to commit suicide. He could have driven instead. There wouldn't be any benefit to hiding his car, leaving it in Cassville. Under suicide scenario, none of it fits. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper