GUILTY MO - Kara Kopetsky, 17 in 2007; Jessica Runions, 21 in 2016; found deceased - *ARREST* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
a few seconds agoApril 16, 2021
ebebb36162169aebec2cbf676d42bcda

Sherae Honeycutt

The state calls Jim Beckford, Kara's stepfather.

He is extremely emotional. He says he grew to love Kara from the time he met her.

He has a plastic bag and is pulling items out while trying to maintain his composure.

Kara was kind, Kara was affectionate, Kara was responsible. Kara was amazing. She was exceptional. She was likable. She was intelligent. She was spontaneous, and she was exciting.

Those few words are just the tip of who Kara was.

She was honest, hardworking, loyal, and forgiving.

He says he was told to describe Kara, and how when she went missing it impacted him. He had trouble writing his words down.

He says they had a great life before she was gone, but on May 4 when she went missing — he called her at 3pm and she didn't answer her phone.

The last time he talked to her they were going over to her grandmother's house. She was smoking and he didn't like that. She would flick her butts in the yard.

She was at work, and they pulled up. He said he wanted to talk to her about the butts. “I knew you were going to say something to me about that.” He told her it wasn't a big deal. They'd pick them up and they would get her a coffee can to put them in.

She liked the Popeye's uniform because it was purple. She gave him a large coke with light ice, and that was the last moment of life as they knew it. This was May 3.

He is putting items that look like wristbands of all different colors on the edge of the stand.

He wanted the jury to know their search was purpose driven. He gets very emotional about it, and talks about how much he loved Kara, and now Jessica.

You all have been away from your family for two weeks, they are missing you, and you are missing them. I'm sorry. You shouldn't have to be taken away from your family.

The defense objects.

@MattEvansKMBC
6m
Beckford immediately fighting back tears as he takes the stand. He says Kara was amazing, exceptional, spontaneous and that was only the tip of who she was. Through tears he says Kara was everybody's friend.
@AndyAlcock2
6m
Jim Beckford, "my last words to Kara were about all the cigarette butts she tossed in the yard, said no big deal, we'll get you a can with sand in it, can put them in there."
gave him a coke at the Popeye's she worked at, last time he saw her.
@AndyAlcock2
3m
Beckford, when received call about Kara's remains a heaviness lifted because Kara had been found, didn't get her back in the way we wanted, wife paid Kara's phone bill for 14 years called it just to hear one little wisp of her voice

@EmilyRittman
2m
Jim Beckford on Kara's cell phone: "Her cell phone has been on. It’s on right now. If you call it, you hear her voice." He called it Sunday night to hear "one wisp of her voice."

Sherae Honeycutt

When they got the call remains were found the weight was lifted. He knew Kara had been found. They didn't get Kara back in the way they wanted.

They've kept her cellphone active for 14 years. If you look at the phone records he called it Sunday night just to hear her voice.

Everyone in this courtroom will die one day, hopefully of natural causes, and hopefully none of you that are parents in this courtroom will have to think of the thought of burying your children like Rhonda and myself. Wondering about their children and what their life would be.

He references what is in front of him. They were in a part of a club they never wanted to be a part of. They will never lose the pain they feel of losing a loved one.

Each one of the colors of the bands, and the ones on his wrist, are find Jessica, searching for Kara. He shows one bracelet new and one bracelet worn to the jury.

When they found them he wore the bracelets backwards because they were found.

There are also an assortment of buttons. One says “Missing.”

He talks about how they found a community of people who have missing loved ones. They would go door to door talking to people.

He talks about one family who lost their child, and the parents died never finding them.

Butler asks him to moving parting thoughts about what Kara's life was to him.

Before he and Rhonda got married they went on a date he knew she had a child. He says Rhonda protected Kara from bringing someone into her life, and he was ok with that because he was raised by a stepfather and understood.

He married Rhonda and became a part of Kara's life. He never wanted to replace Mike as a father, but for dads in a dysfunctional situation they have a good relationship.

It's been hard. It's changed their life.

He holds up a photo, and he is asked to describe it. It's the memorial site for Kara and Jessica. It's where they go in times of need. That's what we have left.

2 minutes agoApril 16, 2021

Sherae Honeycutt

He just wants to ask them to look at him, Rhonda, his son, and look inward. Put yourself in this chair.

The defense objects.

He is asked to step down.

Butler asks permission to approach the judge.

Beckford collects the items he laid out.

a minute agoApril 16, 2021

Sherae Honeycutt

The camera is asked to go down for an underage witness.

The state calls Thomas Beckford, Kara's little brother.

It's hard to describe her with words, she was one of the people you had to meet to see her glow. Her giant smile. Her laugh, and see how she was with people. She was kind and loving.

He is very emotional.

He was eight when she died.

Even then he could connect the dots that she was gone, but just sitting at home trying to keep himself he would try to keep himself together. His parents were suffering. He would keep his feelings to himself so it wouldn't be worse on them.

Living in a small town everyone wanted to talk to him about it as a child.

It is a strange feeling. People look at you different and treat you different. They want to be friends with you because his sister was missing. False rumors would go around.

When they found her it was not all of her. How big of a box would she be in. She was so close, they didn't find her. He couldn't stop it from happening to someone else.

Sherae Honeycutt

Butler asks about his favorite memory with her.

His sister would babysit or “torment” him. He wanted to get back at her and told her his mother was home, and ran away. He would ring the doorbell and say his mother was home, and run away. He would jump in windows with a mask to tease her.

You think you're going to move forward after this. Your sister's voice has been snuffed out her entire life. We can't say what we really want to say. There is always something new. He had to watch his parents cry after yesterday. There's nothing he can do but watch.

Sherae Honeycutt

He wants to tell them to let his sister's voice be heard as much as they can because no one has heard it. She's been in a field.

Don't let her voice be snuffed out.

“Judge may we approach the bench,” Turlington says.

“I'm sure you do,” Beckford says.

Sherae Honeycutt

Butler brings up the fact that there are rules. He tells him to tell the jury in those rules what she meant to him.

She was so cool. She didn't want him to be around her friends, but he would do his best to bug her.

She was an angel and you wouldn't know what she was like unless you met her. No one is going to know what she's like anymore.

Thomas steps down.

Sherae Honeycutt

Jamie Runions is called to the stand.

Jessica loved her sisters. She had a smile and personality that was gravitating. She made friends easy. She loved her friends, and was protective of her sisters.

She loved to dance, bake, and listen to music.

They have a big family on both sides and would have lots of family gatherings at the pool. They had two different families, but got to spend time with everyone. She had a childhood.

They were very close, stubborn, wouldn't take money. She would work double shifts for what she wanted. Every birthday she would make her sisters cupcakes, cakes, brownies. She would go to their school functions, and see them for lunch.

She was great. They had a great relationship. She and her sisters were close.

They had a group text going and were very close.

Sherae Honeycutt

She ended up baking. She started waitressing, but worked her way up to the bakery manager.

She journaled since she was eight. She was in the newspaper and yearbook at school.

She and her sister wanted to write a kids book for her littlest daughter.

She wanted to go back to school and do something more with her life. She had plans.

Sherae Honeycutt

Before her disappearance they spent a bunch of time together. They hung out at her parents house with family, and their last family dinner was on that Tuesday. Jessica baked a cake, and they danced, and it was fun. Music going in the kitchen, and the little one running around.

They went outside and looked at the stars, and the night ended when her little sister fell asleep in her arms.

Jessica texted her when she got home in the group text. They say goodnight in the text.

She would always tell her sister Megan to say she loved her back. Now Megan always tell people she loves them back.

Sherae Honeycutt

She wasn't sure if she could go to one of the little girl's events. At the time she was divorced. Her and Jessica would share responsibilities, and she loved it. Jessica would always text back about her sisters — even if she was mad at the world. She asked her to go to an event, and she never texted back.

For her to not show up, text back — something was wrong. She'd been mentioning the appointment every day. She got scared and called everyone she could. She thought maybe she was in a car accident. Jaxxon told her she hadn't come home that evening, and she immediately tried to make a police report.

She called her dad and he told her to meet at South Patrol and made a report.

She learned that Runions was at Alvarado's, and Jaxxon told Jamie to google Kylr Yust.

She learned about Kara. Her heart dropped. She was scared to death. She got online and posted a picture of Yust and Alvarado. She said she needed to find them and have her daughter found.

The defense objects.

Sherae Honeycutt

Jamie is shown pictures of Jessica and her family. She becomes emotional.

We see a photo of little Jessica in a polka dot red dress for preschool. She says all of her girls look alike. Her youngest looks like this now.

A thanksgiving photo before she went missing. Her father, and Jessica, and their sister. They are hugging one another.

A photo of Jessica going to a dance freshman year.

A photo of Jessica next to a cake for her graduation. Jamie also got her masters that day. It was a good day.

A photo of Jessica and her littlest sister. She looks to be about three or four.

A photo of Jamie, Jessica, and her two daughters.

A photo of Jessica and Jamie on her 20th birthday. They went out to eat and all got dressed up.

A video of her little sister talking to her. “I love you, Jessica.” “I love you Luna, I love you too, Jessica. I love you.” She blows her a kiss. Luna was her cat.

2 minutes agoApril 16, 2021

Sherae Honeycutt

They missed all the holidays together. It's a rollercoaster that nobody understands, and you wouldn't wish it on anyone. Their girls brought them together, because they knew they couldn't deal with it by themselves.

They're family.

She prays they take into consideration two families — 15 years of looking, searching, crying — not knowing. She prays they think about it and know if someone does something they're going to do it again.

The defense objects.

Sherae Honeycutt

I don't get to see my daughter get married. I have to see all her friends live their lives. She didn't get to see her sister's kindergarten. She didn't get to bake cakes. She didn't see her sister graduate high school and go into college.

She's going to miss everything, and her sister's don't get the opportunity to know her.

Jamie steps down.

Sherae Honeycutt

The state calls John Runions, Jessica's dad.

Jessica meant everything to him. She's an amazing person. Larger than life.

She had a wonderful childhood. She never wanted for anything and they were always there for her. She had a big family, and if there wasn't something they could do for her — the other side would do for her.

It was disbelief when she was gone. She was 21. She had the whole world ahead of her. A young woman just trying to find her place in the world.

He was scared, and then was angry when he found out the circumstances.

He is very emotional. They put everything they had into trying to find out what happened.

Their family searched, the community searched. It was a collective effort on hundreds of thousands of people just to find out what happened to this girl, and find out what happened to Kara.

Sherae Honeycutt

Butler shows him a photo of he and Jessica.

A photo of her dad in royal blue and Jessica in a baby blue formal dress the night before her senior prom. “You see how beautiful she is. See how innocent she is. See how happy she is. That's gone now. We don't get that anymore.”

When they found her he had to start a whole new mindset of getting the girls taken care of. He says they still haven't been able to get their girls taken care of.

He is still very emotional. He says it's been devastating to their family. He looks at the photo.

“This man took my daughter's life. You know how I know this? Because you convicted him of taking my daughter's life. There's no more birthdays, no more laughing, no more hugs, no more kisses. She always greeted you with a hug and a kiss, and did the same when she said goodbye. I don't get to walk my daughter down the aisle. Her sisters don't get to look up to her anymore. No more I love yous. Your family is broken forever.”

He is trying to maintain his emotions. It is very difficult for him.

He steps down.

Sherae Honeycutt

The state calls Megan Runions, Jessica's sister.

Butler brings up a photo of her and her sister. She is very emotional.

They are laying down for a selfie when she got her appendix out. They were playing Family Feud on her phone. They were laughing and trying not to hurt her because she had her surgery.

She was 14 when Jessica dissapeared.

She brightened up the room and made you so happy. She was a beautiful soul, and she was my best friend.

She was scared. She didn't know what happened when Jessica was gone. Her first thought was her little sister, but she realized it was Jessica instead. She felt more and more empty. She wasn't there for anything.

“She missed a whole bunch and as time went by I felt more empty because she wasn't there to hold my hand through life.”

She wasn't there for my first dance or my first heartbreak. If she could have she would have.

She reads a letter.

“I'm turning 19 a month and I was 14 where I last saw her. It's safe to say that she will always be my best friend. The last time I saw her we were dancing around the kitchen and singing songs. She had came to take home with her, and are afraid, did she play a taking home with her that I like that just to be funny to take my mouth as we left, we were happy. She previously gotten the surgery on her pinpricks, which was the picture that was up there. And I remember laying in that hospital bed, just hugging her and telling her how much I loved her.

And we were just having a blast, like we always did nothing as much as because she was happy. She always made sure she told me that she loved me and sometimes I didn't say right away, but she always told me to sit back and I did my sister so much, and I'm glad she knew that too. She was for my first day of school, but she wasn't there for my boyfriend heartbreaks, she was taking me on a drive for my graduation from high school, but it wasn't my choice.

She was so determined to protect me and be there for me through every big event, she was always there. She we have made so many plans together and if she could make that happen, she would have, she was gonna walk me down the aisle on my wedding day and be my maid of honor because she wanted the most important roles. She had her way, She would have been my first chance to you I am today.

That is much better, someone who would have everything to support me, no matter what it was somebody would never let me be sat for too long, and somebody who can never let you feel loved. For years ago I lost my best friend, my protector my favorite person to work.

Four years ago I lost my best friend, my protector my favorite person about four days ago, four years ago she lost her life. A life that she had planned. Four years ago, my little sister was five years old. Jessica has told her that when she turned six to be upgraded from Princess to Queen I just never got to be up there for her upgrade.

That's okay because she's 10 years old. She is way too young to be going through this and so was I. And so was Jessica. Jessica if you are listening I love you so much, and as you say back.”

She says she was always known as the dead girl's sister, and she became suicidal. She went to alternative school and it was really hard. She got herself together and graduated. When she got her diploma she said, “this one's for Jessica.”

She steps down.

The state rests.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bleausky