CONVICTION OVERTURNED MO - Kent Heitholt, 48, found murdered, Columbia, 1 Nov 2001

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
1) Having been at the club is no proof of murder. Noone disputes that they were at the club. This is NOT a confession of murder. 2) Who is Mallary?
3) What other evidence is there than a confession that is false because they were not in the newspaper parking lot??? Erickson did not know how Kent died. He was fed that detail by LE.
The confession that was recanted is that of the janitor who claimed he saw Ryan and now says it wasn't them.

1. They confessed to being at a club located just a few blocks from where the murder occurred
2. Dallas Mallary-the friend that Erickson told (that night) they had just beat someone down
3. The confession is not false-where is the proof they were not in that parking lot.
Erickson (and Ryan) knew how he died and only pretended not to know because he wasn't ready to go to jail.

I believe Ryan should spend less time flying around the country and have them find him NOT GUILTY instead of just vacating it. This will haunt him always. He was not found not guilty just vacated. The freedom is nice and the Dairy Queen is nice but he should put an end to it. As long as Erickson is still in jail that is a 50/50 proposition.

The only way to be found "not guilty" is by a jury in a trial. Are you suggesting he should go through another trial just so a jury can come back with a "not guilty" verdict? There isn't enough evidence to support an indictment of Ryan. Not anymore, since witnesses admitted they lied. There's zero forensic evidence linking Ryan (or Erickson, for that matter). No one needs to prove their innocence....the state has to prove their guilt. And Missouri can't, not without getting witnesses to lie.

1. They confessed to being at a club located just a few blocks from where the murder occurred
2. Dallas Mallary-the friend that Erickson told (that night) they had just beat someone down
3. The confession is not false-where is the proof they were not in that parking lot.
Erickson (and Ryan) knew how he died and only pretended not to know because he wasn't ready to go to jail.

1. They admitted to being at a bar several blocks AWAY from the crime scene an hour BEFORE the crime took place. Given that it was downtown on Halloween night in a college town, that was true of hundreds of people, and thus not very incriminating. Now if you want to talk about the victim's co-worker who placed himself AT the scene DURING the narrow window when the murder occurred, that's a different story.
2. According to Mallory, the police berated and threatened him until he told them what they wanted to hear. This is consistent with treatment reported by other witnesses, and the statement of Mallory's supervisor, who said he showed up to work shaken and near tears after talking with them. Erickson's story of running into Mallory driving a car, stopped at a red light makes no sense. The light in question goes to blinking yellow at that time of night. And Mallory owned no car, and his license was suspended at the time. Why do you think the State didn't call Mallory at Ryan's trial?
3. Well, it's hard to prove a negative, but I suppose we could start with Kim Bennett, the eyewitness who saw the two get into Ryan's car at drive away when the bar closed at 1:30, as Ryan always maintained. There's also the matter of Ryan's cell phone records, which show he was on the phone minutes before the crime occurred. This contradicts Chuck's story that they were hiding, waiting to attack while Ryan's phone was in his car several blocks away.

I know this is hard for some people to accept, but wrongful convictions and false confessions are real things that actually happen. Police and prosecutors are not perfect. Look at the evidence of that crime scene. You're going to tell me that this was the spontaneous work of a couple of drunk high school juniors who decided to beat down and rob a man twice their size because they wanted money to buy more drinks at a bar that had been closed for an hour and left no trace of themselves, but somehow managed to plant forensic evidence of an unknown third person at the scene?

Please. It's absurd.

I wouldn't trust 2 drunk 17 year-olds to go into my kitchen and prepare themselves a sandwich without making a mess.

This was no robbery.

I believe Ryan should spend less time flying around the country and have them find him NOT GUILTY instead of just vacating it. This will haunt him always. He was not found not guilty just vacated. The freedom is nice and the Dairy Queen is nice but he should put an end to it. As long as Erickson is still in jail that is a 50/50 proposition.
He's entitled to fly around the country as much as he wants. He's a free man trying to make up for a decade of wrongful imprisonment. He has his life to catch up on. Personally, I hope he goes back to college to complete the education he was in the middle of when he was arrested.
Gaining Erickson's freedom will be the next step in the justice for Heithold, then finding the real killer. Erickson's lawyer badly failed him, IMO.:twocents:

I have a question for Madeleine74, although anyone is free to answer. Madeleine, you wrote that a "finger/palm print in blood" was found at the crime scene. I've seen this claim made by a few commenters on the internet, and Erin Moriarty made this claim in a recent article. Problem is, I've scoured all the case documents and found no reference to a bloody palm or finger print. There's no mention of it in the trial transcripts or in Ferguson's successful 2013 writ of writ of habeas corpus. There were fingerprints on and inside the car that did not match the victim or accused, but none of them were bloody. I'm starting to wonder if this is an urban legend.

Can you please provide me with a source of your claim?

Porridge, It would have been either 48 Hours or Dateline, not sure which one.

Thank you for responding Madeleine. What I was hoping for some sort of official document, such as a police report or trial transcript, and I have yet to see one. Whenever I see someone make this claim on the internet I ask them for the proof of this claim, but they are never able provide it, saying something like "I remember hearing about it but I can't remember where."

I do not believe that a bloody palm or finger print was found at the murder scene. If there was, it would have been highly exculpatory and would have been spotlighted in the defense's case at trial or in a writ of habeas corpus. I think somebody may have confused the fingerprints with the bloody shoe print, and it got repeated enough times around the internet or in the media until it is accepted as fact. I've seen this happen in other cases, such as the Byers Branch Moore murders.

Let me ask you this: when you saw it on 48 Hours or Dateline, how was it presented? Was a photo of the palm print or police report shown? Did a police officer or prosecutor claim that it existed? Or was it one of Ferguson's attorneys?

Thank you for responding Madeleine. What I was hoping for some sort of official document, such as a police report or trial transcript, and I have yet to see one. Whenever I see someone make this claim on the internet I ask them for the proof of this claim, but they are never able provide it, saying something like "I remember hearing about it but I can't remember where."

I do not believe that a bloody palm or finger print was found at the murder scene. If there was, it would have been highly exculpatory and would have been spotlighted in the defense's case at trial or in a writ of habeas corpus. I think somebody may have confused the fingerprints with the bloody shoe print, and it got repeated enough times around the internet or in the media until it is accepted as fact. I've seen this happen in other cases, such as the Byers Branch Moore murders.

Let me ask you this: when you saw it on 48 Hours or Dateline, how was it presented? Was a photo of the palm print or police report shown? Did a police officer or prosecutor claim that it existed? Or was it one of Ferguson's attorneys?
I think it is evidence that the police have not released. There is an unknown perp. out there somewhere that matches this DNA, so they aren't going to jeopardize a future investigation by releasing the details.:twocents:

Ryan was on local KOMU TV news tonight with a video of he and his dad basking on the beach in the Carribian. Not looking too traumatized by it all. He's still working the media circuit. He did do a good job keeping his body in shape while he was in, I gotta give him that.

Ryan was on local KOMU TV news tonight with a video of he and his dad basking on the beach in the Carribian. Not looking too traumatized by it all. He's still working the media circuit. He did do a good job keeping his body in shape while he was in, I gotta give him that.
Yeah, someone donated to him a vacation in St. Kitts. Hope he's enjoying his new life. He said he plans to check out schools. I hope he completes his education.

Much more evidence points to the last person who said he spoke to Heitholt than to anyone else.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Yes, ITA. I saw the interivew they did with that guy on Dateline or whatever it was...you could tell he was nervous, he kept laughing nervously and blinking his eyes rapidly (lying).

I also saw the video on Youtube about the 5 different stories he told police about what exactly happpened the last time he saw his boss, Kent. Why 5 stories, there is only 1 truth? And his car ends up "vanishing." And none of the stories he tells add up - for example, he says he sat in his car for like 5 minutes listening to music. Why?? It was the middle of the night, why would he sit in his car and just sit there listening to music? I do not believe any of his stories.

It is that guy who committed the murder. Shame on the detectives for not completing vetting the LAST PERSON WHO SAW KENT. That should be Detectives 101, right???

Yes, ITA. I saw the interivew they did with that guy on Dateline or whatever it was...you could tell he was nervous, he kept laughing nervously and blinking his eyes rapidly (lying).

I also saw the video on Youtube about the 5 different stories he told police about what exactly happpened the last time he saw his boss, Kent. Why 5 stories, there is only 1 truth? And his car ends up "vanishing." And none of the stories he tells add up - for example, he says he sat in his car for like 5 minutes listening to music. Why?? It was the middle of the night, why would he sit in his car and just sit there listening to music? I do not believe any of his stories.

It is that guy who committed the murder. Shame on the detectives for not completing vetting the LAST PERSON WHO SAW KENT. That should be Detectives 101, right???

Isn't this considered slander? I mean you may suspect the guy which is understandable but to flat out call someone a murderer without proof is not cool.

I'm glad Ryan is doing well. I've liked his facebook page. And I do hope he goes to school. I kind of think it's cool for him to just enjoy the living daylights out of his life and the generosity of his supporters for a while in a way that makes it all worth while.

His father is a pretty amazing guy.

His sister, who was older, got them in. Getting into a bar under age/acting like a "punk" does not make you a murderer. Heck I got into a bar and got drinks when I was 17- I was in college and it was a college town. I didn't even have fake ID.

Me too, I used to go to bars all the time when I was underage. It was a college town as well. Ryan doesn't look that young.

I'll point something else that I've always considered. That is that Chuck Erickson actually did have something to do with the crime. But that he was jealous or "wanted Ryan in there with him" and incriminated him instead of someone else.

I always wanted to know how far away from the club was Chucks house? Because if Ryan went home then it might be the Chuck went back.

But again, for those determined to make it Ryan, there is NO physical evidence connecting them to the crime. Two drunk teenagers just managed to pull it off without a hitch? Not a single drop of blood on the floor of the car?

C'mon.

Isn't this considered slander? I mean you may suspect the guy which is understandable but to flat out call someone a murderer without proof is not cool.

I'm glad Ryan is doing well. I've liked his facebook page. And I do hope he goes to school. I kind of think it's cool for him to just enjoy the living daylights out of his life and the generosity of his supporters for a while in a way that makes it all worth while.

His father is a pretty amazing guy.

Hmm....well if he is getting away with murder than just getting some "slander" from random internet people, he should be pretty happy with that.............

Also, I would like to add - how is possible to get any PROOF when the investigators DID NOT INVESTIGATE ANYTHING ELSE.

Yeah, someone donated to him a vacation in St. Kitts. Hope he's enjoying his new life. He said he plans to check out schools. I hope he completes his education.
If anything more positive could come out of all this, it would be for him to go back to college all the way. Get a law degree and help others. At this point he knows it inside out. Since out supporters have contributed $81k thus far. Know you got to get started but use that energy to invest in the rest of your life and others.

I have made comments about him flying around the country and even out. At this point in time news networks will fly him in and do the dog/pony show and pay all expenses and such. But in the end that's a ratings game. All I'm saying is at this point I wish he will use the energy and support for something that will care for him for the rest of his life, since so much was cut short...that's all.

I just hope the poor dude gets some peace. I can't imagine being in his position.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnelson
Back